The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Wild's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Wild is on a distinguished road
Some good weight exercises?

Why hello there. I'm kind of a skinny guy, but more recently I've tried to take a more active place in my College Gym. I've only been at it for about a month now, and I'm starting to see some results on my arms. What I'm looking for is a bit of bulk on my upper body, and I was wondering if anyone knew some good exercises for arms and chest... and I suppose a bit on the back. If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
Hey. I'm a skinny college boy myself. I too and recently joined the gym and while my advice probably isn't the best, I'll tell you what helped ME, anyway...

Chest flies (with free weights) really give me a deep burn (which is good). It builds the outside of your chest pretty quick, too. For the back, 2 exercises that helped were the pulley row and pull down machines. Arms... I have no special advice for. Tricep kick backs felt good but we only just started doing them instead of using the pull down cables, so again, I may not be the best source.

Anyway, good luck!
  #3   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
Hey guys,

Glad you're both taking the first steps towards building the sort of body you've always wanted to have. It's a huge commitment to move beyond "dreaming it" to "being it".

There are websites devoted to bodybuilding and the bodybuilding lifestyle. They have information for everyone from "newbies" to the most advanced professionals. You can do your own search or hit me up with a private message and I can put you in touch with a few good ones.

Good luck, buds,

BigLittleTim

5'-7" & 280lbs.
  #4   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild View Post
Why hello there. I'm kind of a skinny guy, but more recently I've tried to take a more active place in my College Gym. I've only been at it for about a month now, and I'm starting to see some results on my arms. What I'm looking for is a bit of bulk on my upper body, and I was wondering if anyone knew some good exercises for arms and chest... and I suppose a bit on the back. If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated.

If you want to put on overall size and you feel that you are somewhat of a beginner, then stick with the big three exercises. Squats, Bench, Deadlifts if they are the core of your workout program you should see some success.
  #5   Add to jennylee324's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM

jennylee324 is on a distinguished road
yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job really. Search around on iTunes for "euro club hits" or check this link: http://electricfilebox.com/tracks
  #6   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press

I'm in agreement with Inflated. Bench Press of course makes sense. But for a beginner, why would you do squats and deadlifts if you're working on growing your upper body?

Squats and deadlifts work the ENTIRE body, and are really the only gym exercises that do. Something happens to the body when you do this. There is evidence it boosts testosterone production. In the weeks that follow, the whole body seems able to lift higher weights on other exercises... such as bench press.

Also, beginners are always trying to get their upper body bigger, as they seem to think this is what looks good. What looks good is an overall balanced muscled body, head to toe. Most guys neglect their legs when they start, and then look weird when they have this big chest but chicken legs. Don't fall into that trap.

And good luck with your growth!
  #7   Add to Wild's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Wild is on a distinguished road
Alright. So for the last three months or so I've been following some thing for Ectomorphs I got off a website. It's going alright so far (even though I had to take off about two weeks due to being sick). I think I'm getting a bit bigger but I didn't exactly take a before picture to compare. =P I can't exactly say I've got guns. I have some good definition I'd say, but not exactly the size I'm looking for. And it appears I'm pretty much the least big guy in the gym as far as arms go. Which is pretty much the only thing I can take a comparitive look at from the other folks there. I think it's going pretty good though.

I've been keeping my workouts rather short; I'll do about a five minute warm up on cardio, then do some stretches for the areas I'm working out. Then I'll get to the exercies. This work out plan says to keep my rests between 30 and 45 seconds long; I really like this personally as it makes sure my heart rate keeps up and I'm not sitting there for two minutes recouping. I've been going for about 4 times a week to boot.

On my off days, I eat around 2000 calories, and when I go I eat about 2500. I don't eat any red meat, so most of it comes from whey and fish and birds (and eggs for that matter). I've cut back on my Pop intake, but for the last while I've been using that zero chalorie stuff. I get in about three fruit a day with more veggies on the side. I don't eat a vast amount of grains though. I had to pick up some protien powder and I find it really helps to get in all that protien. I usually avoid any kind of sweets, but I do feel a little kinda bad when I eat bread due to all the chalories in it. *shrugs* Should I? And I catch those 8 hours of sleep every day.

I know I'm not discouraged or anything, but when I'm doing incline flies, I chance a look in the mirror infront and my arms looks rather meh. The bicept doesn't look as amazing as I'd like, but that's apparently a slow group to grow for ectomorphs anyhow. I usually end up doing my presses with free weights since my gym partner is usually awol. At least I have the commitment to go. And I'm pushing myself to places I didn't expect, and lifting things I'm proud of. But I'm not seeing much of a difference in my size yet (though when I do a deadlift and puff out my chest, the shadow lines are in the right places.) My legs have never been a problem and I think I got some size there. Though I do have to say... my least favorite exercises are lunges. I didn't feel I was doing squats were quite right, so I lowered the weight and made sure to go parallel with them. A bit more effective, but I still feel bad because of the much lesser weights. And I usually ensure to get at the very least 150 g of protein a day, but usually it's at least 200 or more.

I think I'm losing the it of weight on my midsection I gained a year or two after I stopped biking all over the place. And my work out two days ago lets me know I have some triceps. =P But I'm getting near the end of my 12 week schedule that I've been working at and I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any suggestions folks?
  #8   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
If you are worried about form in squats, I recommend super slow protocol. Ten seconds on the upward movement, you will not be able to use heavy weights but it will get your form in line. If you want to put on size there is program called Super-Squats 20 rep squat routine--I set of 20 reps--not easy but definite mass gainer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options