The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Aardvark2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Growing and Writing

Aardvark2 is on a distinguished road
Ectomorph gaining

As an ectomorph, I am not having much success gaining muscle definition. I have been working out for a year and am a lot stronger, but not noticeably bigger or more defined.

I am considering getting a personal trainer, but am moving across the country in a few weeks and won't get one until then.

My questions:
- what should I focus on doing, training-wise, to get mass? Little to no cardio, etc.
- what should I eat? I'm guessing the "eat something every few hours", such as six meals a day, applies. I am not good at this. Please suggest specific foods and not just "carbs, protein!" I want to know exactly WHAT I should be eating.

Any tips would be great. Thanks so much!

-A
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark2 View Post
As an ectomorph, I am not having much success gaining muscle definition. I have been working out for a year and am a lot stronger, but not noticeably bigger or more defined.

I am considering getting a personal trainer, but am moving across the country in a few weeks and won't get one until then.

My questions:
- what should I focus on doing, training-wise, to get mass? Little to no cardio, etc.
- what should I eat? I'm guessing the "eat something every few hours", such as six meals a day, applies. I am not good at this. Please suggest specific foods and not just "carbs, protein!" I want to know exactly WHAT I should be eating.

Any tips would be great. Thanks so much!

-A
As far as lifting, go heavy and do the basic compound movements like squats, bench press, t-bar rows, curls, and others...check out BB.COM they are a great source for workout and training and diet info. Leave the isolation movements alone and keep the machine use to a minimum.....you are trying to gain at this point, not define so leave them alone for now..

For the ectomorph, you need to be eating EVERYTHING! In your case, do as I did and buy yourself a calorie book/guide listing foods and their caloric value and see what works for you. And even then, get high calorie protein powder and take those along with a meal every 2 - 2.5 hours. you should be getting in at least 5 - 6 meals a day, and if you cannot sit down and eat there is where the protein shakes come in...just as long as you are getting the calories in.

Hope this helps.......

D
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Ectomorph gaining

Aardvark2,

"What he said"

No, seriously, the protein/mass gainer shakes do help. I personally used "Nature's Way" whey protein which had no milk solids (to avoid lactose intolerance probs).

I went from 185 to 200 (sloowwly), and am now working on going from around 208 to 210, then on (while keeping the waist in check and the chest, shoulders and legs growing) so I know how you feel. I was 6'2", 145# at age 18 at high school graduation, 6'3" 170# at college graduation, and only in my mid 40's did I come anywhere near 200#!

Course, I was working 50-60 hours a week, handling family responsibilities and keeping up a house, so I had other demands on my time!

Point is, muscle growth is a looong process (forget those "30 pounds in 20 days" ads -- they're B.S.!) but you can do it for a long time in your life. As you go along, the benefits only get better: improved strength, flexibility and health, as well as greater bone density. In addition, you look GREAT compared to many/most people your own age, who start to blimp out or sag, starting in the mid to late 20's. Sad, but true.

Good luck, don't be discouraged, and keep working out!

Mdlftr

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options