Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Muscle in the World

I know what most folks here in the U.S. feel about "big" (note that "big" is a subjective term to them compared to us here) muscles; but I'm curious, what do other countries that obviously aren't America feel about muscle on people.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to DancingFish's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM

DancingFish is on a distinguished road
I too am curious about this, especially since there are many varying aesthetics depending on the country and culture.

( (._)(_.) )
( )\___/( )

#3   Add to Lila's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Lila is on a distinguished road
I cannot speak for all Canadians but I like muscles quite a bit! :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Lila For This Useful Post:
musclefan85 (February 15th, 2014)
  #4   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm an American who's traveled extensively to Japan and Hong Kong. Muscular people are really rare over there.

Despite my username, I'm not really "hyooge" by American standards. I'm more built than the average guy, but most college gyms would have a few guys bigger than me. However, I might as well be Arnold in Hong Kong or Osaka. I've had people cross the street just to shoot a cell phone picture of my biceps! However, it seems to be more of a curiosity thing than an attraction thing.
  #5   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
In Asia, it depends where you find those muscleheads. True, they aren't as huge as Caucasians, but there's quite a few ripped guys at very popular gyms. (even those are very rare)

Or probably that there's hardly anyone really jacked up by preformance-enhancing drugs...

Heck, from where I am from, the government is extremely anti-drug. Heroin users are almost unheard of here. In Japan, if you're very muscular guy, you could be also gay I assume. Anyway, most Asian girls prefer skinny or normal built guys than obese and muscular ones, as long they look handsome that is. So most straight men in Asia aren't obsessed being like Hulk.
  #6   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:35 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
United Kingdom

If the UK was a person and asked this question, you'd get two answers. You'd have the respectable side of the country saying:

Quote:
Urgh! Disgusting notion! Why anyone would want to look like they've been inflated by several air pumps is beyond me!
and the more modern side saying:

Quote:
Oh, yeah! I want to make these pecs bigger than Arnie's!
with the dividing line being those people born since 1945 and the main reason I think has to be the British beefcake movies that we had in our cinemas, perhaps most noticeably Sean Connery who was the first Bond (and the first man to appear in a state of undress in a nationally distributed film)
  #7   Add to cesarvillavi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM

cesarvillavi
Send a message via Yahoo to cesarvillavi
Orgullosamente Sonora

Well I can't speak for M?xico but at least I can't talk for my state Sonora.

Well here in Obreg?n where I'm studying right now I must admit I've seen many guys who are really well built, and even some huge guys. There are even some huge guys in the gym where I'm going, they make the $37dlls I pay every month totally worth it.

Bodybuilding it's pretty popular lately, just in the state there are at least 3 or 4 different bodybuilding competitions (more or less), so I think you can say there are many huge men in here, but maybe just not enough... wait... is there something as enough huge muscular guys in a city, town, state, etc?

A time will come. When we'll no longer know how to call the thing that bind us. By slow degrees the word will fade from our memory. Then, it will dissapear altogether.

El Cielo Dividido

Broken Sky

http://www.elcielodividido.com/
  #8   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarvillavi View Post
Bodybuilding it's pretty popular lately, just in the state there are at least 3 or 4 different bodybuilding competitions (more or less), so I think you can say there are many huge men in here, but maybe just not enough... wait... is there something as enough huge muscular guys in a city, town, state, etc?
*backhands you as hard as I can (which isn't very hard btw)* Get ahold of yourself man!!! You already know the answer to that question! Of course there can't be too much muscle in this world!

.......You ok? Sorry I had to do that, but it seemed like you were faltering from our...course here, had to put a bit of sense back into your head.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #9   Add to cesarvillavi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM

cesarvillavi
Send a message via Yahoo to cesarvillavi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMM View Post
*backhands you as hard as I can (which isn't very hard btw)* Get ahold of yourself man!!! You already know the answer to that question! Of course there can't be too much muscle in this world!

.......You ok? Sorry I had to do that, but it seemed like you were faltering from our...course here, had to put a bit of sense back into your head.
Thanks... I know sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures... so don't worry I understand that's something you had to do.

A time will come. When we'll no longer know how to call the thing that bind us. By slow degrees the word will fade from our memory. Then, it will dissapear altogether.

El Cielo Dividido

Broken Sky

http://www.elcielodividido.com/
  #10   Add to DancingFish's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:49 PM

DancingFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewletter View Post
In Asia, it depends where you find those muscleheads. True, they aren't as huge as Caucasians, but there's quite a few ripped guys at very popular gyms. (even those are very rare)

Or probably that there's hardly anyone really jacked up by preformance-enhancing drugs...

Heck, from where I am from, the government is extremely anti-drug. Heroin users are almost unheard of here. In Japan, if you're very muscular guy, you could be also gay I assume. Anyway, most Asian girls prefer skinny or normal built guys than obese and muscular ones, as long they look handsome that is. So most straight men in Asia aren't obsessed being like Hulk.
I've seen a few buff Asian guys, they were quite good looking too. Most of the Asian men I have encountered haven't been very buff, but some of them were still very handsome.

( (._)(_.) )
( )\___/( )

#11   Add to musclegod's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM

musclegod is on a distinguished road
I've traveled a lot throughout Europe and Asia. Most people are overwhelmed with my size. In China and other Asian countries I am frequently stopped in the street to ask to feel my muscles or to pose or take pictures. In recent years I have found that kids are especially fasinated and much less inhibited. I am often mobbed in the street by kids in Asian countries who want to talk to me, ask me to flex my bicep or feel my body, usually my arms or chest.
The Following User Says Thank You to musclegod For This Useful Post:
dominicrue (February 24th, 2014)
  #12   Add to hypnokip's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Aspiring muscleman

hypnokip is on a distinguished road
I lived in Germany and Austria, and I ended up training in my apt both times... the gyms I found were extremely expensive -- although New York city folk probably wouldnt think so
  #13   Add to growingbigger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Growing Wolverine

growingbigger is on a distinguished road
I've been down to Brazil a few times, and there aren't too many muscular guys there either--not that there aren't any because I've seen a few, but they are rare. I'm usually quite a sensation when I'm walking around in a mall down there. The American standard is beginning to catch on just a little bit though. You can find small gyms now in even the smaller towns.
  #14   Add to luvmuscles2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:32 AM

luvmuscles2006 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmuscles2006
Muscles downunder

There are all types of muscle down under..........be it surfie types to serious bodybuilders. Given climate, we wear singlets and tishirts for most of the year, so viewing is premium. I get comments regarding musculature, though l'm not a bodybuilder. As a personal trainer, l work in a gym a couple of hours a week and train two guys who are muscular but not bulky, more Australian Rules football builds. My personal trainer, he has a great body with a nice chest and big arms......we're bulking up and training together during our spring / summer.
  #15   Add to Muscle_lover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Muscle_lover is on a distinguished road
In France., and in Paris in particular, beeing big is not really popular... Mens are mostly really thin or just a bit fit. Very big bodybuilders are really hard to find. Around me people tell me to stop growing but i don't care, i love getting bigger.
But fortunatly, i found a gym in the "US mood" where getting bigger is better and in wich all bodybuilders in Paris train.

Help me to get HUGE
  #16   Add to richard32's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:52 AM
F-Session

richard32 is on a distinguished road
I've had individuals combination the road just to capture a mobile cellphone image of my biceps! However, it seems to be more of a fascination factor than an fascination factor.
  #17   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Examining search terms on Google Trends is revealing.

Brunai, Hungary and Pakistan lead the pack in terms of google searches on "bodybuilding" - http://www.google.com/trends/explore...builder&cmpt=q

For "muscle" it's St. Kitts, Grenada and Dominica - http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=muscle&cmpt=q

"Muscle worship" is HUGE in the U.S., Australia, the UK and Canada - http://www.google.com/trends/explore...worship&cmpt=q

But "muscle growth" is biggest of all with more countries with hits over 50% than any other, Australia, the U.S., South Africa, the U.K. Singapore, New Zealand and Canada - http://www.google.com/trends/explore...0growth&cmpt=q

Oddly, "muscle growth stories" and "story" only comes up for one country, the U.S., at 100%, and 70% of those searches are for FEMALE muscle growth - http://www.google.com/trends/explore...stories&cmpt=q

Interestingly, "muscle cock" yields search rates from 100 to 50% for (as ever, in descending order) South Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia and Australia, with the U.S. only coming in at 43% - http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%20cock&cmpt=q

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle

Last edited by Eager Muscle; February 21st, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eager Muscle For This Useful Post:
/\/\usclekid (February 21st, 2014), Friday (March 7th, 2014)
  #18   Add to breathless's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Breathless

breathless is on a distinguished road
Bodybuilding's getting more popular here in Mexico City. There's at least 5 competitions a year and going to them I've seen some really big specimens but really, the heavier classes usually don't have that many people competing (5 at most) and usually you can see a clear winner from the moment the guys hit the stage.

There's more new gyms and I've seem more larger guys around but also the average latino guy isn't that tall.

I used to live near this gym where several pros trained and THAT was awesome.

Fitness Modelling is also getting more popular here in Mexico, and guys who practice it don't like the bodybuilder look because they think it doesn't look good.

You can see lots of Mexican Bodybuilders in this page: https://www.facebook.com/Mxmuscleselite
  #19   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:32 AM

suma is on a distinguished road
Nice question. But really it's the same all over; only that some countries are lagging behind in the trend.
All over most women do not like overly big and muscular men.
All over men on other hand tend to like it both straight and gay.
And with YouTube , Twitter Instagram and all the others EVERYTHING is global now. Regional differences are dying out and a thing of the past :-(
So while some countries are further along with the popularity of gyms and bbing; the others are soon catching up.
The Following User Says Thank You to suma For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (March 3rd, 2014)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options