The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Rubicashrama's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Rubicashrama is on a distinguished road
Age and Muscle growth....

Thank you for this opportunity.. I am 52,had a major bypass 3 years ago(quadruple). I started lifting wights at the age of 21 and was huge and big. Topped out at 241 lbs. I am 5'9" tall. After the surgery, I watch my diet and every other intake. I do drink enough water The foods I have eliminated from my daily consumption are: sodas, pizzas, fast foods,all read meats, eggs, ice creams, sweet stuffs, pastas, rice, mashed potatoes, breads and just about everything that I think will hurt. I only eat turkey, fish, chicken, beans, veggies, salads and such.I am worried about the repeat attack. I work out 6 days a week( I just started again, about 4 months ago). The question: I am having a real hard time defining and gaining muscle mass. Even with intense workouts, I do not see results. My training is as follows: Monday--Chest and Upper back, Tuesday--Arms, Shoulders, Traps, Biceps and everything else associated with arms, Wednesday-- Legs, Thighs and Lower Back.. I do abs everyday, no matter what. After this, I repeat the same routine Thurs, Fri, and Sat. I start out with about 20 minutes of bicycling on the machine.
I remember, I hurt like hell before and I knew the muscles are responding. Now, I feel like a blimp. When I work out, I feel big. After that it kinda takes all the air out of me and I feel under inflated. What is wrong? I would highly appreciated your response....Thanks...
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicashrama View Post
Thank you for this opportunity.. I am 52,had a major bypass 3 years ago(quadruple). I started lifting wights at the age of 21 and was huge and big. Topped out at 241 lbs. I am 5'9" tall. After the surgery, I watch my diet and every other intake. I do drink enough water The foods I have eliminated from my daily consumption are: sodas, pizzas, fast foods,all read meats, eggs, ice creams, sweet stuffs, pastas, rice, mashed potatoes, breads and just about everything that I think will hurt. I only eat turkey, fish, chicken, beans, veggies, salads and such.I am worried about the repeat attack. I work out 6 days a week( I just started again, about 4 months ago). The question: I am having a real hard time defining and gaining muscle mass. Even with intense workouts, I do not see results. My training is as follows: Monday--Chest and Upper back, Tuesday--Arms, Shoulders, Traps, Biceps and everything else associated with arms, Wednesday-- Legs, Thighs and Lower Back.. I do abs everyday, no matter what. After this, I repeat the same routine Thurs, Fri, and Sat. I start out with about 20 minutes of bicycling on the machine.
I remember, I hurt like hell before and I knew the muscles are responding. Now, I feel like a blimp. When I work out, I feel big. After that it kinda takes all the air out of me and I feel under inflated. What is wrong? I would highly appreciated your response....Thanks...
Age and muscles..that tile is a good one and always captures my attention as it has been a driving force in my workouts for some time, as in, Never Say Die!

After reading your post, the first thing that came to mind is, if it were me, to get with an experienced doctor, trainer or someone that has had experience in training after your procedure and their success and how they did it.

As far as from what I can see, IMO, you are not giving yourself enough recuperation time. For me, I have found out that as I am older, I need to give myself a little more recovery time. I tend to workout 5 days a week, and do allow myself an extra day if needed. I have found that it has really worked for me as far as keeping up size and strength. It is a known fact that as we mature, the body takes a little longer to recover, BUT that does not mean that it is time to throw in the towel...quite the contrary, you have to not only work out hard, but smarter.

Also, I once was told in regards to cardio that if your goal was not to gain size, you do you cardio/cycling first, but if you goal is to put on muscle size you do your cardio after your weight session. It makes sense as you are strongest for what you do first. I know a lot of people do it for warming up.... I myself do warm up sets on the weights.

Also, you may want to have your hormone levels checked as they definitely do start to fall off once we are in our 40's and 50's. Again a visit to a doctor (a bodybuilder-friendly one wouldn't hurt ) would be beneficial.

These are just small tips as there is no detail as to how much you weigh now, stats, carrying a lot of excess BF, etc etc. But in the long run, there are many things that you can do to boost your progress, your drive and ultimately your gains.

I am not sure how to post a picture in this post, so I will post this link to my current photo I took the other day. I am 50 years young and I would like to think that for 50 I still look relatively okay. And no, I'm definitely not genetically gifted as I was a skinny runt into my late 20's!

http://www.geocities.com/laptopshoppe/scvdsf.jpg

Hope this helps, and keep us informed!

Ron III---III
  #3   Add to martinp13's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM

martinp13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1 View Post
I am 50 years young and I would like to think that for 50 I still look relatively okay.
Yes, relatively okay. WOOF
  #4   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1 View Post
Age and muscles..that tile is a good one and always captures my attention as it has been a driving force in my workouts for some time, as in, Never Say Die!

After reading your post, the first thing that came to mind is, if it were me, to get with an experienced doctor, trainer or someone that has had experience in training after your procedure and their success and how they did it.

As far as from what I can see, IMO, you are not giving yourself enough recuperation time. For me, I have found out that as I am older, I need to give myself a little more recovery time. I tend to workout 5 days a week, and do allow myself an extra day if needed. I have found that it has really worked for me as far as keeping up size and strength. It is a known fact that as we mature, the body takes a little longer to recover, BUT that does not mean that it is time to throw in the towel...quite the contrary, you have to not only work out hard, but smarter.

Also, I once was told in regards to cardio that if your goal was not to gain size, you do you cardio/cycling first, but if you goal is to put on muscle size you do your cardio after your weight session. It makes sense as you are strongest for what you do first. I know a lot of people do it for warming up.... I myself do warm up sets on the weights.

Also, you may want to have your hormone levels checked as they definitely do start to fall off once we are in our 40's and 50's. Again a visit to a doctor (a bodybuilder-friendly one wouldn't hurt ) would be beneficial.

These are just small tips as there is no detail as to how much you weigh now, stats, carrying a lot of excess BF, etc etc. But in the long run, there are many things that you can do to boost your progress, your drive and ultimately your gains.

I am not sure how to post a picture in this post, so I will post this link to my current photo I took the other day. I am 50 years young and I would like to think that for 50 I still look relatively okay. And no, I'm definitely not genetically gifted as I was a skinny runt into my late 20's!

http://www.geocities.com/laptopshoppe/scvdsf.jpg

Hope this helps, and keep us informed!

Ron III---III
Hey DaBig!

Long time no see you on here, and you're looking bigger than ever. You SURE you're 50?

I also wanted to add that HRT hormone replacement therapy for those over 40-50 can work wonders!

D
  #5   Add to tallmuscledman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM

tallmuscledman is on a distinguished road
I agree with some of the other posts, you are training too much and not giving your muscles time to recouperate and grow. Muscle grows from intense work, the right amount of nutrition and rest. If you want to gain mass, I would not lift more than 3 or 4 times a week. I understand from you having a CABG that you need to do aerobics, but remember this will limit your muscle growth as well. As for abs, I have to say this. Abs are like any other muscle group. You don't work them every day do you? No, because again they won't recoup and grow. Maybe work your abs a maximum of 3 times a week. Best of luck!
  #6   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
MAZIVZEMBERE

MAZIVKAROLY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via MSN to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via Yahoo to MAZIVKAROLY
I am nearing my 64th anniversary of life on this planet and love workin' out more than ever; I continue to have outstanding health and my avg. workout time including aerobics, both pre- and post, include at least 15 to 30 mins. aerobics. My upper chest and arms are now (believe it or not, for you younger bucks) are more clearly defined than when I was in my 20's and 30's; also, I do not believe in shaving, so my hair is abundant, though mostly grey.

Good to hear and see that you are part of us over 50's. Do keep at it; the rest is a good prescription, but also include aerobics, sensible and well-spaced out eating habits as well as a good amount of water and a wide variety of lifting techniques and angles.

Sorry, because of camera malfunctioning, I don't have any current pics, but know that I am making significant progress, still, in my mid sixties. Yay!
  #7   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
I'm turning 56 next month and have decided that I will get there in better shape that I was over the winter. Am I making progress? Yes, I am.

http://cid-6e1b8f0ecc87ce06.skydrive...20top%20summer
  #8   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
A tank top summer

JImUSA,

Wow! What an inspiration to us 50 + ers!!

Mdlftr

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options