The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Aardvark2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Growing and Writing

Aardvark2 is on a distinguished road
Maintaining fitness after surgery

Hey guys,

I've been working out really regularly - 4 days a week - and eating like a maniac since September, and it's gone really well, to be honest. I've gained 25 pounds and not an inch on my waist

In August, I'm having some oral surgery and have been instructed to not have "strenuous physical activity" for four weeks. I think the fear is that if I push myself too hard, I could get blood clots (or something akin to that) while my mouth is still healing. I'm not supposed to do ANYTHING for two weeks, and then slowly work back into my old routine over the next two weeks.

I guess my question is - has anyone has an experience similar to this? I'm afraid I'm going to drop ten pounds or something in those weeks off. What should I do to try and keep myself in fighting shape (and maintain that weight)? Chug protein shakes like a madman, I'm guessing. Any other tips and hints?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Unhappy I'm in the same boat

I'm just coming off major surgery and have been told to not do anything strenuous for six (!) weeks!

When I ask, I am told that I need the time to heal (true) and then I should gradually build back my activity.

For what it's worth, I DID lose about 10 pounds after surgery, partially due to not being allowed to eat anythihg by mouth for two and half days. However, during the recovery, there is something to this "muscle memory" idea. I've gained back the weight, some of it fat, but much of it is the muscle I've built up over so long!

Keep up your spirits! try to eat clean, walk as much as you can and recover, and you'll soon be back in the gym! That's what I keep telling myself......

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to Lifter51's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Lifter51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lifter51 Send a message via Yahoo to Lifter51
Hey Ardvark2 - I was off for over a year with different health problems. Any gym time was painful and exhasting. Recently back I feel energized and ready to go. Even cardio at 7am doesn't seem like a bad thing. I'm just happy to be healthy.

I agree with MDLifter - keep a clean diet/adjust calories where required. And lots of walking.

It sounds as if you have been making some decent gains - so just consider this a forced rest. You may drop some weight now but you will be an animal when you get back full force.

All the best - David
  #4   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:00 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Truth is, you don't loose muscle so fast. Keep your food intake slightly above maintenance. You'll lose apparent size, but its mostly glycogen, which will be restored very fast once training is resumed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options