The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to smallboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM

smallboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to smallboy
Mass/Weight Gainer or Whey?

Hello. I just joined a gym, and was told that if I'm serious about gaining muscle, I have to take supplements. I'm around 170cm, thin, but I have been accumulating belly fat... which was the reason I decided to join the gym.

Concerning supplements, is it definitely necessary? If yes, which would be more useful? Whey protein or a weight gainer? They have Optimum Nutrition Whey, Serious Mass by ON, and True Mass by BSN, I think.

While I'm on it, can I burn off the fat and still gain muscle? I'm thinking doing more cardio...
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Get your diet right before you start taking supplements, then if you are having trouble gaining weight add a good protein powder that is low in sugar. Leaner meats, less starches and simple sugars, throw away the garbage fruit juices that are mostly high fructose corn syrup, eat more fresh vegetables etc. A good rule of thumb is the less processed it is the better it usually is, also its best to avoid the middle aisles in the grocery store--the real food is on the perimeter--vegetables, meat, eggs, once you start gaining muscle and hit a plateau then its time to add a protein powder supplement.
  #3   Add to Aardvark2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Growing and Writing

Aardvark2 is on a distinguished road
Your username makes me think you are an ecto. Before you start working on really making big muscle gains, focus more on cardio and get your BF down (it should be easy if you are as small as you say). inflated above me is dead-on with suggestions, and I'll contribute one of my own. I started really working out in September of last year and, since my body fat was already at something ridiculous like 6%, I immediately started using a weight gainer - Ultimate Nutrition's Isomass Xtreme Gainer. It is wonderful (not the taste, though, of course) and I am not 25 pounds heavier, without gaining an inch on my waist. I drink one every night before I go to bed to satiate my body during those hours I'm not eating.
  #4   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
hey

I feel that way oftentimes.
I'm about 5' 8", count myself as slim and I've noticed (my own perception perhaps) - I tend to pack heavier around the waist area

I was informed at the gym by one of the trainers that I should consider supplements as well to build muscle. To be honest, its a little out of my budget and I'm not sure myself whether its something to consider. I'd like to see where I can take the exercise to on my own, especially with my own workout regime/schedule and re-examining my diet.

I'm figured working on the core of things before venturing into things like supplements would be better in the long run. It could help, it may not but it'd be good to see if I be disciplined enough first to make a change.

I remember getting some advise here. There are so many types of exercises and routines for so many body types and goa;s, that its hard to find the right one and it'd probably end up being a trial and error before anyone can find one that's right for them. It isn't easy because the results (or lack thereof) are largely dependant on the time and effort you can put in and perhaps only after a couple of months (of that) - anyone can see if its working out for them.

So a healthy dose of patience if something I've prescribed to.
Achingly, loving patience.

I hope this helps

Yinn
  #5   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
I can't say it enough but diet is probably even more important than training--but that diet is about good healthy real food not supplements. Get a good healthy diet and later on if you are having trouble adding enough calories then add supplements.
  #6   Add to smallboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM

smallboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to smallboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated View Post
I can't say it enough but diet is probably even more important than training--but that diet is about good healthy real food not supplements. Get a good healthy diet and later on if you are having trouble adding enough calories then add supplements.
Thanks for all the feedback. I used to eat relatively little, and had a very bad daily routine. I have been trying to change my diet gradually and sleeping patterns. White rice is a staple for me, I can't change that, but in between meals I've been taking more stuff like wholemeal bread and egg whites. Wonder whether that helps? Trying not to take stuff that are too oily where I can help it.
  #7   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
Do try get those brown rice. A pricier but much better alternative than plain white rice.
  #8   Add to bigbob111's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM

bigbob111 is on a distinguished road
Im now taking the whey protein supplements in addition to my diet, but how often should I be taking them? Its about 70% protein and just says on the label "recommended dose 1 tablespoon".

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options