The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Spooky's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM

Spooky is on a distinguished road
Spotting?

So, here's the deal:

I just moved and joined a new (shady) gym. I use free-weights but mostly, when I work out, hang out under the power rock. So, a lot of the exercises I do requires a spotter.

In the last city I was living in, I had a friend who did the same routine as me and so we would spot each other at the gym. In this city, I haven't found anybody at all who is even interested in going to the gym, much less to lift weights.

So, my question is: how can I keep doing my routine without a spotter? I can always ask someone for the gym to spot me on an exercise, but I can't ask someone to spot me for 1.5 hours. Do you know what I mean?

I've gotten great results with my last routine, and don't want to switch it up.

What're y'all's opinions?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Here's a suggestion

Ask the gym staff if they are willing to assist you. I often am able to get one of them to spot me, especially squats. If the gym has a notice board, put a notice that you needed a spotter or training partner.
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
So, here's the deal:

I just moved and joined a new (shady) gym. I use free-weights but mostly, when I work out, hang out under the power rock. So, a lot of the exercises I do requires a spotter.

In the last city I was living in, I had a friend who did the same routine as me and so we would spot each other at the gym. In this city, I haven't found anybody at all who is even interested in going to the gym, much less to lift weights.

So, my question is: how can I keep doing my routine without a spotter? I can always ask someone for the gym to spot me on an exercise, but I can't ask someone to spot me for 1.5 hours. Do you know what I mean?

I've gotten great results with my last routine, and don't want to switch it up.

What're y'all's opinions?

I've noticed that a lot of guys will use the Smith machine to do squats, so they don't have to use a spotter. I've used it also, and find it helpful.
Mdlftr
  #4   Add to Brave_Wolfie's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM

Brave_Wolfie is on a distinguished road
Oh, that sounds like a problem that needs some working out... I hate myself for even typing that. Anyway, I suggest you do some searching for a spotter first. Usually gyms have a notice board of sorts where you can pin up requests. Maybe there's some guys who go there to work out and they just happen to go when you don't? If that doesn't work, then you're S.O.L.

The next step would be to ask if the gym can provide spotters. If the gym is as barren as you say it is, then I think the people who work there can help you out. They might charge you, though.

The last step and final choice would be to look for a machine that works the same muscle groups as the free weights. With all the different types of machines out there, it shouldn't be too hard to find a machine that does what you need. The results from using a machine shouldn't be too different from the free weights either... I think it would be a bit more safer and cause a little less straining as well. So there's a plus.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options