You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM

hulkoutlvr is on a distinguished road
fastest gains

I was reading not long ago about a bodybuilder who alleged putting on 50 pounds of muscle in 42 days. I think it was Jeramy Freeman touting something from muscletech. That's probably an exaggeration. What I'm interested to hear is some real experiences of fast gains? For you serious lifters out there who "bulk up" from time to time, what's the most amount of weight you've put on in one spurt, and how fast did it go on your body? I've heard stories of bodybuilders who have said they grew by the week. . .one even said his favorite shirt got too small in the chest in two weeks time? What's been your biggest growth spurt, and what kinds of hot experiences went with it?
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
It's not uncommon for bodybuilders who have dieted down from their heaviest weight to mega-ripped contest condition (a process, that often involves dropping 40-50 lbs. in a relatively short period of time) to gain back the lost weight very quickly. It's not like they're putting on 40-50 totally "new" pounds. That's usually reserved for genetic freaks like our Achilles and dear Lorenzo in Toulouse.

xoxo

Richard
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM

hulkoutlvr is on a distinguished road
old pounds, new pounds, who cares?

thanks for that tip, Richard! So that would explain why some guys seem to "hulk out" almost overnight?

However, I don't care if the pounds are new pounds or pounds that are coming back, I just love the idea of a guy blowing up very quickly, lol.

I miss Achilles' bulking phase. Watching him throw on that 60 plus pounds was one of the hottest things I've seen.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Historical Growth example

In the 1970s, Casey Viator, a pro bodybuilder (Youngest Mr. America at age 19) contemporary of Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer; sometime training partner of MIke Mentzer.

Casey went from 166 pounds (very underweight. He was recovering from an industrial injury at work) to 220 in something like 6 weeks. The articles said his total training time to regain the lost mass was something like 12 hours over that time. Big plug for "Heavy Duty, intense-but-short-duration workouts".

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
In the 1970s, Casey Viator, a pro bodybuilder (Youngest Mr. America at age 19) contemporary of Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer; sometime training partner of MIke Mentzer.

Casey went from 166 pounds (very underweight. He was recovering from an industrial injury at work) to 220 in something like 6 weeks. The articles said his total training time to regain the lost mass was something like 12 hours over that time. Big plug for "Heavy Duty, intense-but-short-duration workouts".

Mdlftr
Yes, I remember this article with Casey Viator. It was called the "Colorado Experiment". Here is the link:

http://www.musclenet.com/coloradoexperiment.htm

Too bad there are no before/after pics. I can remember the pictures and boy, they motivated me to no end! I have had my share of growth spurts, but nothing like Viator's...

Ron III---III
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thank you DaBig!

RESULTS . .
First subject (Casey Viator), 28 days
Increase in bodyweight........45.28 pounds
Loss of bodyfat..............17.93 pounds
Muscular gain.................63.21 pounds

In early January of 1973, he was involved in a serious accident at work and lost most of one finger as a result . . . and almost died from an allergic reaction to an antitetanus injection.

For approximately four months, most of January through April of 1973, he did not train at all; and since his level of activity was low, his diet was reduced accordingly. During that period of four months, he lost approximately 33.63 pounds . . . but 18.75 pounds were lost as a direct result of the accident and the near-fatal injection. So his loss from nearly four months out of training was only 14.88 pounds ... less than a pound a week.

Proper training will produce rapid but very steady increases in both strength and muscular mass . . . and this was demonstrated very clearly by the results of the Colorado Experiment.

For example, during the first l4 days, Viator gained 28.93 pounds, a daily average of 2.06 pounds. During the next 3 days, he gained 3.92 pounds, a daily average of 1.3 pounds. During the following 5 days, he gained 6.09 pounds, a daily average of 1.2 pounds. And during the final 6 days, he gained 6.34 Pounds, a daily average of 1.05 pounds.

So it is clear that his "rate of gaining was slowing down at the end of the experiment . . . but it is equally clear that his actual growth was very steady.

But what about strength gains?

Prior to the start of the experiment (approximately an hour before the first workout), initial strength tests to a point of failure were performed on a Universal Machine. And at the end of the experiment (three days after the last workout), a final strength test was again performed on a Universal Machine.

During the first test, Viator performed 32 repetitions in the leg-press with 400 pounds . . . 28 days later, having done nothing even close to a leg-press in the meantime, he performed 45 repetitions with 840 pounds. And was forced to quit at that point because of pain, rather than muscular failure.

So his leg-strength more than doubled in the leg-press . . . even though he did not perform that exercise during the experiment. His other strength increases were of a very high order . . . clearly proving that his increased muscular mass was functional.

Flexibility? Near the end of the experiment, at a bodyweight well over 200 pounds, this subject clearly demonstrated a range of movement far in excess of that possible by any member of the Colorado State University wrestling team. In fact, his demonstrated range of movement is so far in excess of "average" range of movement that it literally must be seen to be appreciated . . . clearly proving that great muscular size does not have to limit flexibility, if it is produced by exercises that provide full-range movement.

The "pace" of the workouts was very fast . . . but not continuous throughout the workouts, some brief rest-periods were involved between some exercises. And these rest-periods are INCLUDED in the listed times of the workouts. Times were measured from the start of the workouts to the end of the workouts.

All exercises were carried to a point of momentary failure . . . except in the cases of "negative only" exercises, which were terminated when it was no longer possible to control the downwards movement of the resistance.

In general, approximately ten repetitions were performed in each set; but in all cases, the maximum possible number of repetitions were performed . . . stopping only when it was impossible to perform another repetition in good form.

The "form" or style of performance was as strict as possible, the resistance was moved in a smooth fashion, and was briefly stopped in the position of full muscular contraction. Jerking and sudden movements were totally avoided.

THe rest of the article is at the link provided....http://www.musclenet.com/coloradoexperiment.htm

AMAZING!

Mdlftr
  #7   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
RESULTS . .
First subject (Casey Viator), 28 days
Increase in bodyweight........45.28 pounds
Loss of bodyfat..............17.93 pounds
Muscular gain.................63.21 pounds

In early January of 1973, he was involved in a serious accident at work and lost most of one finger as a result . . . and almost died from an allergic reaction to an antitetanus injection.

For approximately four months, most of January through April of 1973, he did not train at all; and since his level of activity was low, his diet was reduced accordingly. During that period of four months, he lost approximately 33.63 pounds . . . but 18.75 pounds were lost as a direct result of the accident and the near-fatal injection. So his loss from nearly four months out of training was only 14.88 pounds ... less than a pound a week.

Proper training will produce rapid but very steady increases in both strength and muscular mass . . . and this was demonstrated very clearly by the results of the Colorado Experiment.

For example, during the first l4 days, Viator gained 28.93 pounds, a daily average of 2.06 pounds. During the next 3 days, he gained 3.92 pounds, a daily average of 1.3 pounds. During the following 5 days, he gained 6.09 pounds, a daily average of 1.2 pounds. And during the final 6 days, he gained 6.34 Pounds, a daily average of 1.05 pounds.

So it is clear that his "rate of gaining was slowing down at the end of the experiment . . . but it is equally clear that his actual growth was very steady.

But what about strength gains?

Prior to the start of the experiment (approximately an hour before the first workout), initial strength tests to a point of failure were performed on a Universal Machine. And at the end of the experiment (three days after the last workout), a final strength test was again performed on a Universal Machine.

During the first test, Viator performed 32 repetitions in the leg-press with 400 pounds . . . 28 days later, having done nothing even close to a leg-press in the meantime, he performed 45 repetitions with 840 pounds. And was forced to quit at that point because of pain, rather than muscular failure.

So his leg-strength more than doubled in the leg-press . . . even though he did not perform that exercise during the experiment. His other strength increases were of a very high order . . . clearly proving that his increased muscular mass was functional.

Flexibility? Near the end of the experiment, at a bodyweight well over 200 pounds, this subject clearly demonstrated a range of movement far in excess of that possible by any member of the Colorado State University wrestling team. In fact, his demonstrated range of movement is so far in excess of "average" range of movement that it literally must be seen to be appreciated . . . clearly proving that great muscular size does not have to limit flexibility, if it is produced by exercises that provide full-range movement.

The "pace" of the workouts was very fast . . . but not continuous throughout the workouts, some brief rest-periods were involved between some exercises. And these rest-periods are INCLUDED in the listed times of the workouts. Times were measured from the start of the workouts to the end of the workouts.

All exercises were carried to a point of momentary failure . . . except in the cases of "negative only" exercises, which were terminated when it was no longer possible to control the downwards movement of the resistance.

In general, approximately ten repetitions were performed in each set; but in all cases, the maximum possible number of repetitions were performed . . . stopping only when it was impossible to perform another repetition in good form.

The "form" or style of performance was as strict as possible, the resistance was moved in a smooth fashion, and was briefly stopped in the position of full muscular contraction. Jerking and sudden movements were totally avoided.

THe rest of the article is at the link provided....http://www.musclenet.com/coloradoexperiment.htm

AMAZING!

Mdlftr
Thanks for posting, Mdlftr!

I still wish I could find the pics! I remember one in particular it was so dramatic.....it was like he was a dry sponge that had been dipped in water and just swelled up. I rememeber back then that I wish I could have gone to a "muscle-camp" and return with those kind of results. For me it took much longer, but no real complaints on my end

Ron III---III
  #8   Add to growingbigger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Growing Wolverine

growingbigger is on a distinguished road
I was diagnosed with low testosterone when I was 30. I had trained and trained before and really didn't get much out of it. I weighed 150 lbs when I started hormone replacement. In three months, I gained 30 lbs going from 150 to 180 lbs. That was quite an experience since my clothes suddenly did not fit and I had to buy new shirts twice.
  #9   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingbigger View Post
I was diagnosed with low testosterone when I was 30. I had trained and trained before and really didn't get much out of it. I weighed 150 lbs when I started hormone replacement. In three months, I gained 30 lbs going from 150 to 180 lbs. That was quite an experience since my clothes suddenly did not fit and I had to buy new shirts twice.
Sounds like a friend of mine (45 years old) who has been on HRT for the last few years. He has seen his weight jump from 160-170 to 225-230 pounds and coupled with training like a demon and keeping his diet spot on he has really gotten huge.

Ron III---III
  #10   Add to growingbigger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Growing Wolverine

growingbigger is on a distinguished road
Sounds awesome. I'm hovering between 210-215 now myself, and I'm shooting for that 225-230 lb range.
  #11   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM

luvyalots is on a distinguished road
I also put on between 30 and 35 pounds in about 3 months, going from 150 to 180-185. I'm shooting for 200 pounds by next summer since I attribute that quick gain to new-workout gains.

Shirts that fit me at the begining of my training are snug as hell (I actually inadvertantly ripped out of a couple) and most of my pants are too tight to wear. In fact, I recently celebrated my 27th birthday and my dad got me a Visa gift card, saying that he wanted to by me shirts but he was afraid they wouldn't be big enough.
  #12   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
The info about casey is correct but one has to remember when your body has been depleated of water etc and goes back to regualar nutrition a 25-35 lbs gain in 8 days isn not uncommon. As for muscle well unless a muscle bisopsy is done there is no accurate way to prove how much actual muscle has been gained. Now if a person gainsd 30-40lns over the course of TRT one has to realise that its not all muscle. you do gain water etc. You have to remember that you cannot change the number of cells in your body unless you chop off something or get it sucked out. When you burn fat in reality your dehydrating the cell and when muscle grows your hydrating it. What changes is the volume of cells and lean mass. lean massi is still determined by your cell count. But if your all lokking to get bigger then i would suggest you looking into some off season bber's nutrition plans or drop me a note.
  #13   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOEY View Post
You have to remember that you cannot change the number of cells in your body unless you chop off something or get it sucked out. When you burn fat in reality your dehydrating the cell and when muscle grows your hydrating it.
Actually, not so much. The evidence is that you CAN change the number of cells, and in fact, you DO so when you grow from being a baby to being an adult. Further, you are constantly REPLACING cells, especially blood cells.

Similarly, you CAN gain additional fat cells (as well as inflating them) due to long term metabolic syndrome. You can shrink them but it's not WATER that you're moving out of them but rather triglycerides.

Muscle is weird stuff. The structure is NOT simply cells, but also proteins that connect things together and do the work, and support structures made from other kinds of cells, and of course fluid both inside and outside cells.
You can increase both the size of muscle cells and protein support structures, and the number of muscle cells, by recruiting "satellite" cells through training and proper nutrition.

References here:
http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article...lesgrowLK.html
http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBody/..._Structure.php
  #14   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:39 AM

actually research shows you can not make new fat cells. as this article states
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/he...gg&exprod=digg

and this article:
http://www.physorg.com/news129556919.html

and here is one about cells in general
http://vadim.oversigma.com/MAS862/Project.html

red blood cells

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailme...s/redcells.htm

but the number once you hit adulthood stays constant.
  #15   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:07 AM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOEY View Post
actually research shows you can not make new fat cells. as this article states
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/he...gg&exprod=digg

and this article:
http://www.physorg.com/news129556919.html

and here is one about cells in general
http://vadim.oversigma.com/MAS862/Project.html

red blood cells

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailme...s/redcells.htm

but the number once you hit adulthood stays constant.
Right on the mark......

D
  #16   Add to thomasstuart's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM

thomasstuart is on a distinguished road
Hello Hulkoutlvr.
I read your entire post it is great to only 40 days to increase the such type of muscle.
Thanks.
  #17   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM

all supplement companies make unsupported claims. They site studies and research but never show it or post it. Muscletech is one of the worst. My best gain was 28lbs in 8 weeks and thay was a solid gain. people only blow up after contest then its usually fluids and going back to a regular diet that does it. Its not uncommon to gain 25-30+ lbs in a week after a contest but thats weight that was there before. Building quality muscle takes time. Its a slow process for some and takes time and work.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options