General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #41   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:25 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
I certainly have a lot of room for improvement before I join the ranks of the Steve's and Brent's

Incidentally - there was a joking/sarcastic tone in there....
Um, I think you've been in our rank for a while. You need to stop underestimating yourself. Traveler, and a couple others might be on another level than us, so it's our duty to catch up to him!

On the sarcasm note, I'm always joking. Even at my worst I'm joking. When the paramedics, and yummy firefighter were stopping the bleeding on my head, I kept joking. I was afraid if I didn't, I might have brain damage...
  #42   Add to Ogrebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Ogrebear
Thanks

A thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Some follow on questions from what has been said:

1) Cars- do bodybuilder have troulble finding a motor that fits?
Any stories about peoples reactions when you unfold yourself from your motor?

2) Unwanted attension- has someones interest in your muscles gone beyond 'copping a feel' and into obsession? I dont mean sexual interest but fasination or other werid behavior?

3) On the Rurl site that was linked it shows him in a supermarket, obviiously nutrition plays a huge part in Bodybuilding, but does the 'weekely shop' take much longer?

4) What happens when a huge/massive guys stops working out (through injury etc)?

5) Is there a huge ego problem with working out/getting huge? As in do the big guys throw their weight around in the gym? Becomce bullies? or Primadonnas?

6) got into any werid habbits/rituals as part of getting big?

7) Does getting big/huge/massive = geting hairy? or indeed more horny?

8) Places like cimema's or thearte- same sort of problems as trains and planes? Seats too small etc? Any audience members responded badly?

9) How easy is it to get/afford custom clothes? And if undable to get them do poeple simply stay in work out clothes if they can?

10) Do people automatically give you more space on the dancefloor, lifts, etc. Some people wont but do some people shy away simply out fo fear for your size?

once again Thank you!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #43   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM

My answers:

I'm not that big.

2) Unwanted attension- has someones interest in your muscles gone beyond 'copping a feel' and into obsession? I dont mean sexual interest but fasination or other werid behavior?

No, most people are afraid to cop a feel even. One girl at work, and I'm working on making her my hag, but that's as far as that's gone with me. I think most people are afraid.

3) On the Rurl site that was linked it shows him in a supermarket, obviiously nutrition plays a huge part in Bodybuilding, but does the 'weekely shop' take much longer?

Marcus is a huge man. However, it takes the same time to put 2 bags of pasta in your cart as one. Only things where you have to be picky, like produce slow me down. Also, here in the States, people rarely do a 'weekly shop'. We tend to stop at the market on the way home with food for the next day or two. However, shopping for vitamins, and supplements is extra time that others should spend, but generally don't.

4) What happens when a huge/massive guys stops working out (through injury etc)?

I'm not huge/massive, so I'll leave this for more knowledgeable members.

5) Is there a huge ego problem with working out/getting huge? As in do the big guys throw their weight around in the gym? Becomce bullies? or Primadonnas?

I think it's the opposite. I'm sure there are plenty of assholes that happened to get big, and some guys with Napoleon Syndrome, but from my experience, bigger guys are generally nicer than smaller/less secure guys.

For me: Lift big + eat big + sleep big == get big. It's that simple.

I have never seen a coincidence with hairiness. However, I am WAY MORE HORNY when I am working out regularly.

8) Places like cimema's or thearte- same sort of problems as trains and planes? Seats too small etc? Any audience members responded badly?

I can't afford live theater, and the cinemas I go to have large seats. My husband Rob works for a large chain, and lets me know where the best ones are. As for planes, trains, and busses: get an isle seat. Then you have isle room to, "spread your lats" so to say.

9) How easy is it to get/afford custom clothes? And if undable to get them do poeple simply stay in work out clothes if they can?

I was going to post a whole post on this subject in this thread tonight with the subject of, "Damned Europeans, and their damned sizing standards!" Normal clothes aren't too bad. You can easily find wide-legged pants, stretchy tee-shirts, and most formal clothes need some tailoring anyways. Also, with over 65% of americans being over weight, and over 30% qualifying as, "Morbidly obese" larger clothes seem to be everywhere. However, being gay, I like to shop. But fun clothes where I like the cut, fabric, and pattern, tend to be sold in European sizes (as in worse than the Gap...) I'm an XL in American sizes, but I can't find anything in these stores that fits me. I tried on a cute shirt that was labeled XL today at my local Zara store, and it took my friend and an attendant to help me get it off.

10) Do people automatically give you more space on the dancefloor, lifts, etc. Some people wont but do some people shy away simply out fo fear for your size?

No.
  #44   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:28 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
responding;in no particular order...

cars;i can barely drive(learned late)there was a rash of auto accidents involving pro bodybuilders a while ago.my guess is,it was too hard to move the foot from the gas to the brake;what with the other huge thigh in the way.(could also be a"'roid rage"factor)......attitudence again,it depends on the drugs.i've been in"juice gyms"where everybody was crabby,rude&pushy.&that was just the girls!...food:when i'm competing,i basically live on supplements,so shopping doesn't take much time.expensive,though....clothes:suits are a problem.you actually need a higher armpit&a bigger sleeve.pits rip out all the time...fear:yes,it does happen.sometimes it's cool(thugs,the homeless)sometimes it's off-putting(girls)i'm pretty much harmless;so it's a+&a->
  #45   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
cars;i can barely drive
DUDE! You live in NYC... that's why god invented taxis. Come on....

Quote:
clothes:suits are a problem.you actually need a higher armpit&a bigger sleeve.pits rip out all the time...
Dude, you live in NYC... custom made suits and tailored clothes -- oh so hot... Don't you watch Carson on Queer Eye -- we DO have a standard to live up to (as my $$ bill $$ for product demonstates since that show started). You know, it's not all about how you look naked

-S

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #46   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM

I don't think you need 'roids to get crabby these days. People are rude enough to set me off from time to time, and I think that I'm generaly a mellow person in general. However the drivers here in Las vegas are super agressive, and that can be awful. I long for good mass-transit again...

As for clothes, james (aka MassingUp) suggested Body Body , bit I like to try clothes on, and they don't have a store here.
  #47   Add to SithSpawn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:45 AM

SithSpawn has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to SithSpawn
Brent's just brought another question to my mind, 65% of Americans are overweight, now from what I've been told about weight issues, people are supposed to be a certain weight for their height so does that mean that bodybuilders/powerlifters are technically overweight?

I mean, if you have a guy who is 5 ft 8 in and weighs about 200 lbs who is fat, and a bodybuilder with the same dimentions then are they both considered overweight? The people that make up these statistics may ignore the fitness levels of the results. Also, how many people are technically underweight? Probably a lot in some of the poorer families, how come that statistic is never bounced around?

Sorry, just a rant, I'm overweight by the way but I don't give a toss .
  #48   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:47 AM

SithSpawn, I think it depends a lot on what measurement is used. Some scales are very crude (height/weight) but others are more sophisticated (statistical sampling, with precise body fat measurements). I'm willing to bet that the more shocking stats are ones that would label me as fat, because I weigh too much for my height. Since that weight is lean weight, it isn't bad. However, I think that if you took people like me out of that stat, you'd still end up with over 60% of Americans being overweight. There are a lot of extremely fat people in this nation, and it's becoming an international trend.

As for you not giving a toss, I respect your attitude. Too many people buy into negative stereotypes, and think they are bad if they are over weight (with fat). Just don't get too fat, to where Type 2 Diabetes becomes a threat. It's on track to become America's #1 killer soon, and along with Mc Donald's, seems to be one of our big exports...
  #49   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithSpawn
Brent's just brought another question to my mind, 65% of Americans are overweight, now from what I've been told about weight issues, people are supposed to be a certain weight for their height so does that mean that bodybuilders/powerlifters are technically overweight?

... Also, how many people are technically underweight? Probably a lot in some of the poorer families, how come that statistic is never bounced around?

Sorry, just a rant, I'm overweight by the way but I don't give a toss .
I don't think the combined numbers of bodybuilders would even jiggle the numbers for the average weight statisics. How many do you see in a year outside of a gym? Why do we even need a "Muscle Sightings" topic in this forum?

As for the concept of "supposed to be a certain weight for their height " it's made by doctors and/or statisticians who probably have very little contact with bodybuilders because fit people don't need a doctor very often. Also, the statistics message is for the "average" person.

There is some validity to the argument about body height and body mass. There are structural weight bearing issues (bones, cartiledge, ligaments), there are hydraulic pressure issues (heart, blood), there are fuel absorbtion, distribution and utilization issues. There are chemical imbalance issues. Fat people just fail miserably at all of these.

Bodybuilders on the other hand because of their adjusted nutrition handle the fuel issue. Because of their increased physical activity handle the hydraulic issue. To a lesser extent, bodybuilders can adjust their bone strength to compensate for increased mass but I've known some who got out of the game because their feet just couldn't take a continuous extra 100 pounds of mass. They still are in great shape and feel good at 200 or 210 but are not 250 pounds anymore.

To say that "a bodybuilder is technically overweight" is an oversimplification of the issues involved. The common person loves simplification, it means they don't have to think. The average upright monkey just loves to have everything in black and white and have someone else tell them what to do and how to think.

As for the issue of not reporting the number of underweight people. I'm sure it's reported somewhere but it doesn't make good copy for the media and it's a complication (must keep it simple for the monkeys). Also I think you'll find that except for the lower edge of the spectrum of economic situations, most poor people in the US are fat because fat is cheap. Protein, vegetables and fruits by comparison are expensive.

The issue of importance here is that the average American is FAT. Ugly, unhealthy FAT. Label it "overweight" if you want to. All you have to do is wander a shopping mall, or airport, or football stadium or any public gathering and what you see is an over abundance of FAT people. What's even more disturbing is the number of FAT children. Children who grow up being told that they are only "overweight" and consequently don't give a toss. They'll grow up to be FAT adults and the story continues.
  #50   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:40 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Wow,

lots and lots of great remarks in this thread and nothing I can disagree with. My replies to the questions I can answer from my own perspective:

1.) No. I have found ways to fit into all but the smallest of cars. This is as much a height issue as it is a shoulder width issue for me. Larger cars ARE more comfortable but I've never made the decision to not buy a smaller car due to my size. In order to fit well enough to function inside an older toyota tercel (a very small car) I used to put the seat all the way back and angle it back as well and keep my elbows up on the window ledge (instead of down at the impossibly low arm rest) and rest my knees against the center console so I could operate the pedals correctly. It sounds difficult but once you get in the habit it isn't so bad. I love small cars. They sometimes tend to make for poor driving posture but I can still operate them reasonbly safely. As for stories:

I'll never forget a time about 7 or 8 months ago when I was driving my wife's little corolla to get some lunch for the family. I missed my turn and had to take the next one on a quick U-Turn. I wasn't looking as carefuly as I should have and I cut off this punk-ass wanna be gangster kid driving his mom's mini-van (read: suburban loser). He was a little angry so he tailed me closely. When I stopped at the next stop sign he intentionally bumped my bumper slightly. I paused for a moment and then I angrily stopped the car, put it in park, set the brake. As I began to un-lock the door I noticed my teenager friend had already gotten out of his mini-van and began to approach my car with obvious intent to cause bodily harm. Before he could get a word out of his mouth, I stepped out of my car quickly with obviously angry motion, stood up to full height and puffed my chest out. The look in his eyes was priceless and before I could even realize that he had flip-flopped his mood 180 degrees he was already apologizing profusely and begging me for forgiveness. It took me about a good full 30-45 seconds to understand what was happening because I'm still not accoustomed to being recognized as a larger-than-average individual but when I thought about it... I was about 6" taller and a good 100lbs heavier than him (at least) in muscle. I let the kid go after I inspected the bumper. The issue was over with but the notion that someone was frightened by me in a confrontational situation stuck. It makes a good story.

2.) Unwanted attention - never. I'm not THAT big.... maybe traveler or someone can speak on that for us.

3.) My wife does the shopping, 95% of it... I can't answer that question.

4.) No clue - I've often wondered the same.

5.) I'm with Brent. I've met more nice, smart, and super-cool guys who were huge than the other way around. I always thought it was the other way because primadonas and arrogant bodybuilder fucks are MUCH more VISIBLE.... but it isn't. These are good people on the whole, all of them.

6.) Ummm... define weird?

7.) Horny - definitely. Hairy? not in my experience.

8.) Theatre seats seem to be fine. Airplanes suck for everyone and they particulalry suck for me. I've DEFINITELY overheard people bitching AND relocating their seats when I sit down in front of them. None have ever directly complained to me, however. That's a tall thing more than a "thick" thing. I try to be polite and not sit in front of someone if there are enough seats available, but it doesn't always work that way.

9.) I can't and I wish I could (afford them). Normal clothes... t-shirts, pants, shorts, etc... are just fine off the shelf but dress shirts for my job are a big problem. Find me a 19.5" neck with 37 sleeves that isn't designed like a circuis tent in the "big men's" section for the typical FAT businessman...... and find one that costs less than $35 and isn't custom. You can't. I either end up with the circuis tent shirt (makes me look fat and sloppy) or I end up with an 18" neck that I can't button the top button on. I generally choose the latter as I'm excluded from the tie policy in my position (thank god).

10.) Generally - no. But if someone sees me charging in their direction in a crowd of people as I try to navigate around a busy shopping mall or retail store, they do tend to get out of my way more often than they would for someone like my wife (5'5" tall). I've observed this on many occasions when she leads vs. when I lead and it's true. I also find that I pick up more apologies by people who accidentally cut in front of me with a shopping cart and the like. It's interesting being married to a short woman and getting to see both sides.
  #51   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
My take......

Only because I'm a bit claustrophobic. The smallest car I've owned was a Ford Mustang GT convertible -- and I kept the top down almost continuously (one of the great advantages of Texas weather). I currently have an F-150 (truck), but am probably going to downsize....and I've had a hard time finding a smaller car that doesn't make me feel confined.

Any reactions....none quite as good as EJ's, but I know a few people have been a bit taken aback when I get out of my truck -- where I live, you have a lot of 5'5 women driving gigantic SUVs and pickups, so seeing a guy who is at least in scale with his vehicle is an odd occurrence.

Only staring.....nothing else too ridiculous.

My weekly shop takes five minutes flat -- mainly because I know what I'm getting, how much of it I'm getting, and where it's at. I've never noticed much of a difference.

What HAS changed is the amount of time I spend on food prep -- going up to six meals a day, even if one or two of them is a protein shake, means you spend a lot of time making stuff.

It depends. The body does decondition quickly, but I think what hurts most of these guys is that they keep eating like they're still working out.

Again, it depends. Most of the big guys I know are confident, but not arrogant -- I think it comes from the fact that, if you get that big, you're spending much more time on "go" than "show" in the gym. The ones who annoy me the most are the teenagers or college students who do one set, then spend ten minutes flexing in the mirror.

My weirdest habit is that I work out usually just before going to bed.

Horny, yes. Hairy, not necessarily. One of the potential side effects of anabolic steroids is hair growth (although not on the scalp), so it is entirely possible.

When I go to some of the art-house theaters that haven't been refurbished for fat Americans, yep. And on airplanes....thank you, American Airlines, for "more room through coach". I cannot wait to get my elite status back so I can upgrade to first class!

Not easy. I have the same problem as EJ....more neck than stomach, and he at least has the advantage of height to take up more shirt-tail. Unfortunately, in my role, I am constantly in front of executives, so a tie is required.....and like EJ's complaint, the only thing I can find off the rack is the Omar the Tentmaker label.

The other place that drives me crazy is pants.....I swear by Wrangler relaxed-fits, but I have had a horrible time finding dress slacks with enough butt and leg to accomodate my caboose and thighs.

I have noticed the path clearing more readily the bigger I've gotten, but again, the linebacker in me is used to swerving and dodging, so it doesn't seem to make much difference.
  #52   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:35 AM

traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrebear
A thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Some follow on questions from what has been said:

I haven't noticed any real car preferences with what the more heavily muscled types drive to the gym other than a preference for SUVs and pickups.

I have an SUV and a roadster. I have no size problems using the SUV except sometimes getting out; I'm short--5'6". When I get in/out of my roadster, I have to move sideways in an awkward manner. I will have problems sitting in it, if I got a lot wider. Right now, its seat is nice and snug. But that's a problem I wouldn't mind having.

Quote:
Other than an on-again/off-again relationship I had once, I haven't noticed. I do recall once being introduced to a co-worker's friend, who remarked that he sees me at the gym. I seem to recall that he had a nice smile during our introduction, and that I thought it odd that he would recognize me from the gym. Afterward I noticed him at the gym amid the crowd of people.

Quote:
I don't food shop very often because I tend to eat out. When I dine at a restaurant, I often order another entree for take-out because I'll eat it a few hours later. I also eat more than a typical person, so the wait staff at places I frequent become blase about the quantities I can eat.

Quote:
At my gym, I sometimes see two brothers (not both at the same time) who both competed in bodybuilding in their teens and early 20's, and looked very similar. One had kids, so he wasn't able to workout for a few years, while the other kept working but stopped competing. The one with kids has a big belly, while the other is fit but not heavily muscled like before.

Quote:
Not particularly. I noticed one guy, as he grew with a few cycles, got louder and louder with his groans and grunts while lifting. At one point, when he was a lot bigger, a female trainer yelled at him to shut up.

Quote:
A ritual that comes to mind involves recording data such as workouts/exercises, supplements/dosages/frequency, and food (type/quantity/frequency). Injecting yourself or ingesting whatever substance you believe will get you bigger, more defined and/or stronger is an odd ritual. Shaving is another ritual I think is a bit odd; probably because I don't shave.

Quote:
When you take certain substances to get bigger, there is a tendency to get hairer all over, to lose hair on the scalp, and to get a bit hornier. My body would normally not have much hair. However, the supplements I take have made me somewhat more hairy in a few patches. I would love a hairy chest, but that's not going to happen given my phenotype.

Quote:
My favorite memory of squishing a bodybuilder into a coach seat was on a flight from San Francisco to Las Vegas for the Mr. Olympia weekend. Greg Kovacs was put in the middle seat in the 1st row in coach. The people on his sides had problems with his size, so the purser put him in a first class seat. One flight attendant said to me that Greg should pay for the first class seat since he obviously put a lot of effort and resources to get that big.

Quote:
Good made-to-measure clothing is expensive, but it can be cheaper if you have it made in a third-world country. If you use the latter option, take the clothing (for use as a template) you want made for your size and all the fabrics needed to make your clothes. You may not find the fabrics you want when you're in the middle of nowhere.

As for staying in workout clothes, I can do that since I work in a high-tech startup that doesn't care what you wear except when you meet with clients. A few times a year, I dress as if I'd sell bibles door to door. The rest of the time I wear gym shorts and t-shirts.

Quote:
I don't think so. I noticed an odd thing which is probably just wishful thinking. Buff male flight attendants (who are muscular but not huge [weight being a consideration for the profession]) more often than not rub up against me while passing by in the aisle whenever I have an aisle seat. Female flight attendants don't seem to do that. I noticed this with Southwest and JetBlue. I don't recall noticing buff flight attendants on United.

Traveller
  #53   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM

bulkinupbig
Living as a bodybuilder

As a bodybuilder - living the lifestyle - has very distinct advantages and a few dis-advantages.
The lifestyle requires discipline, dedication, drive, determination and desire. Without this continuing, strong founation - reaching or attaining bodybuilding goals will be futile. While there always will be things in your life that will test each of these five cornerstones to the lifestyle, there will also be rewards that will help to further motivate you down the path.
Ogrebear started this thread by asking about clothes that fit, travel, reactions in public, eating out, on & off season, sex, breaking things, and supplements.
Clothes:
Finding clothes that fit is extremely difficult and expensive. Business attire is custom made. There is no other alternative. Appearance is important and how you present yourself regardless of your size is essential in the business world. Shirts are 21 neck and sleeve is 37. Casual attire is easier and there are some catalogue or on-line retailers that specialize in casual attire for bodybuilders.
Travel:
Air plane seats are uncomfortable. I travel a great deal so I always travel on an aisle seat. With more and more airlines reducing the number of first class seats, I have had to sit in coach and yes, I get my shoulders bumped into with the cart all the time. Flight attendants have been great. I am always given three waters when I ask for one - and if I'm in offseason bulking - three or more bags of almonds. Both female and male flight attendants are always asking the usual questions: 1. Do you compete? 2. Can you help me put this bag into the overhead bin 3. Can I feel your biceps? In addition, I'm asked for diet and training advice.
Reactions in public:
Overall, people are generally positive and complimentary. I've gotten over the question of - Do you workout? I realize now that in many cases that is a conversation opener for many folks who really don't know what to say. The comments I enjoy the most are when people ask when my next competition is going to be. I had one elderly gentlemen come up to me at a major home improvement chain store and comment on how he and his wife were present in the audience at a competition I won and that I had insipred them both to start training.
Humour helps! I had one guy say to me... Wow, did a bee sting your arms? I quickly replied and said.. Yes, and you should see what the Queen Bee did to my schlong.
Comments from children are the best! They are innocent and speak their mind. Sometimes their facial expressions say all there is to say.
Women of color are the most gregarious. I had one woman almost rip my shirt off grabbing at my arms and squeezing my pecs. Others will grab at my arms and then ask if they could feel my bicep.
Unwanted attention:
Yes, this happens sometimes. Handling it can be difficult because in some cases being nice only invites more unwanted behavior. Respecting another person is key. Unfortunately some people leer vs. stare, follow you and hover, touch you when you don't want to be touched.
Eating out:
Never during pre-contest. And rarely if ever off-season. Special occasions and after winning a show.
On/off season:
Weight fluctuates. Training is much more focused on heavy, lower reps in the offseason. Pre-contest time is tough... cardio increases, dieting and training intensity is at an all time max.
Sex:
Horned up all the time. Never get enough.
Break things:
Rarely.
Supplements:
Kitchen cabinets filled with vitamins: multi, flax oil in fridge, protein powder on countertops, branch chain amino acids, etc., etc. The girlfriend is always complaining about the countertops being filled with all my stuff!
Food/Shopping:
This is extremely expensive. On average my weekly food bill is $200. Diet is very regimented and similar types of food are purchased each week. Here again the girlfriend complains about all the eggs in the refrigerator & do I really need to eat so much.
Gym ego's:
Interesting question. Some guys who aren't bodybuilder's have huge ego's and nothing to show for it. Some guys who are bodybuilder's develop ego's larger than their biceps. Some guys who are bodybuilder's are some of the nicest friends I have.
Weird Habits as as result of getting big:
Another interesting question. Some of these aren't weird, but a habit.
- Baby Powder: Use much more than before - thighs...
- Water: Drink 2 gallons a day minimum... so always carrying water &...
- Shaving: Always shaved... all over except for top of head.
- Laundry: Lots of gym clothes.

More important, living the lifestyle of a bodybuilder does give you a sense of routine. The rewards of living a lifestyle that makes you happy and that you find rewarding is important regardless of where you are in terms of your goals. Competing several times this year was mentally and physically exhausting. Winning is great, but it is such a fleeting moment. I can honestly say that achieving smaller goals -(e.g. increasing the peak on my biceps - or adding a 1" to my quads) along the path to winning was just as rewarding. But then again the trophies that sit on my library/den shelves are great reminders of accomplishments and milestones to the lifestyle.
  #54   Add to SithSpawn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkinupbig
As a bodybuilder - living the lifestyle - has very distinct advantages and a few dis-advantages.
The lifestyle requires discipline, dedication, drive, determination and desire. Without this continuing, strong founation - reaching or attaining bodybuilding goals will be futile.
Ok, last question (for now). What happens when a bodybuilder reaches their goals? is there always something to strive for or do you essentially get to a point where there's nothing left to achieve and you just end up coasting along in a virtual rut? I know rut is the wrong word because being built like that could never be considered a rut but it's damn near midnight and I can't be arsed to dig out the thesaurus.
  #55   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM

A few misc thoughts

Bulkinupbig's post reminded me about the baby powder, which I had never done before......but once I got past 215, the lack of....um, airflow....with my thighs and butt getting so big led to some serious chafing and heat rash.

In answer to your question, Sith, I personally follow Musl4life's advice....there's no such thing as too big. I used to say my goal was 225, and having gotten there, it's moved upwards. I honestly don't think most guys who are into bodybuilding ever really say, "That's enough".
  #56   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
[QUOTE=ethernet_jock]I'll never forget a time about 7 or 8 months ago when I was driving my wife's little corolla to get some lunch for the family. I missed my turn and had to take the next one on a quick U-Turn. I wasn't looking as carefuly as I should have and I cut off this punk-ass wanna be gangster kid driving his mom's mini-van (read: suburban loser). He was a little angry so he tailed me closely. When I stopped at the next stop sign he intentionally bumped my bumper slightly. I paused for a moment and then I angrily stopped the car, put it in park, set the brake. As I began to un-lock the door I noticed my teenager friend had already gotten out of his mini-van and began to approach my car with obvious intent to cause bodily harm. Before he could get a word out of his mouth, I stepped out of my car quickly with obviously angry motion, stood up to full height and puffed my chest out. The look in his eyes was priceless and before I could even realize that he had flip-flopped his mood 180 degrees he was already apologizing profusely and begging me for forgiveness. It took me about a good full 30-45 seconds to understand what was happening because I'm still not accoustomed to being recognized as a larger-than-average individual but when I thought about it... I was about 6" taller and a good 100lbs heavier than him (at least) in muscle. I let the kid go after I inspected the bumper. The issue was over with but the notion that someone was frightened by me in a confrontational situation stuck. It makes a good story.

9.) I can't and I wish I could (afford them). Normal clothes... t-shirts, pants, shorts, etc... are just fine off the shelf but dress shirts for my job are a big problem. Find me a 19.5" neck with 37 sleeves that isn't designed like a circuis tent in the "big men's" section for the typical FAT businessman...... and find one that costs less than $35 and isn't custom. You can't. I either end up with the circuis tent shirt (makes me look fat and sloppy) or I end up with an 18" neck that I can't button the top button on. I generally choose the latter as I'm excluded from the tie policy in my position (thank god).

LOL!! I wish I could have seen the look on that kid's face (better still, what he probably said as he drove away!- probably something like "Jeezuz! that dude was f#king HUGE!!")
Of course now you are confirming my previous statements about you big guys scaring the town folk. Now I guess you are gonna start hanging people on coat hooks

As far as the clothing thing goes, If you are brave enough, (you and/or your wife can actually trim down the excess with one of those little sewing gadgets) A doctor friend of mine actually does this, I plan to try it myself soon.
Another solution for clothes that fit may be at one of the tall men's sites. I'm sure it has to be a common problem that comes up often.
  #57   Add to SithSpawn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Festive question this time

Just thought of another question for all the muscle packers out there.

Does Christmas, or even Thanksgiving for that matter, affect your training/diet much? Do you still eat the same on those days as you would any other day or do you indulge in all the Christmassy and turkey day goodness before you? What about workouts? do you still train between or after opening prezzies and belting out carols or do you have a well earned day off? Are gyms even open on Christmas day? And new year. What's it like training with a real blinder (hangover)? Or are you all good boys and don't drink? (no coal for you if you're a good boy )

Anyway, Happy Holidays and all that.

Last edited by SithSpawn; December 14th, 2004 at 01:58 PM.
  #58   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:25 PM

glammaman2000
"pec the halls with balls of..."

...something.gym is closed xmas,might be open New Year's day.you get to eat on holidays.i would never try to workout drunk;&i don't really get hangovers.if you've had too much the night before,sweating it out the next morning can really help.poodle chip!
  #59   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM

ethernet_jock
Yes - this is my 3rd visit here today - yes I'm bored and haven't felt like really doing my job. Shush....

1.) I dont' consider myself "hardcore" so I DO allow myself to eat badly on holidays, but I also try to control it down to a reasonable extent. I also allow myself to take days off during Holidays and Vacations. Everyone needs a day off from the gym or even a week off every now and then. I think it actually helps you build better in the long run..

2.) I don't drink too much - ever - at all (anymore).
  #60   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Hmmm......well, Sith, I put it this way. I enjoy good food as much as I ever did.....but I enjoy good muscles more.

One of the tricks you can use to enjoy good holiday food is to graze, rather than to sit down and gorge yourself. This year, my family tried (OK, they didn't try, I forced it on them....after all, they were at MY house)......an all-afternoon buffet for Thanksgiving, rather than one giant gorging meal. I just flipped on the TV, laid out the table, and let everyone nibble.

The second is to keep none of it around. My house is now a chips/crisps, junk food free zone.......and my breakthrough for the year was throwing away two opened bags of chips/crisps my family left behind after Thanksgiving, which I never could have done before.

On holidays, heck -- great time to go to the gym, no one else is there!

As for drinking, as I told Brent, my liver enzymes were used up in college.....now, I can't drink enough to get hung over without buzzing out first.
  #61   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM

1. I enjoy the food like I would, but I've changed the portions: more veggies, less pumpkin pie.
2. Since I generally workout on my schedule of 4 days on, one off, I try to time the day off around the holiday. My gym is open on holidays, but I couldn't live with the guilt of making someone work for me on a holiday. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I've had to work them, and I didn't like it, so I don't patronize businesses on the holidays.
3. I drink very little. It's way too expensive. I used to smoke a lot of weed, but that doesn't give you a hangover, in fact it helped me focus on my workout. Obviously, I don't do that anymore since I'm not living in Nevada (Sin-City my ass).
  #62   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Holidays...

Pretty much what everyone else said re: moderation in food and drink. Hangovers were a college experience, and, like freshman year, best not repeated.

My gym is closed on Christmas, open on New Year's Day.

Actually, since I 've been in there on New Year's for the last 2 years---it's always very crowded and there is major eye candy and major eye barf around!

The feeling of superiority at starting the New Year out right is obnoxiously satisfying!

Mdlftr
  #63   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Yes - this is my 3rd visit here today - yes I'm bored and haven't felt like really doing my job. Shush....
Quit bragging. We're in the middle of a beta/pilot release and I haven't had the chance to finish the frick'n story I want to finish writing!!!

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #64   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
My gym is closed on Christmas, open on New Year's Day.

Actually, since I 've been in there on New Year's for the last 2 years---it's always very crowded and there is major eye candy and major eye barf around!

The feeling of superiority at starting the New Year out right is obnoxiously satisfying!

Mdlftr
Yeah, the gyms always get really busy in January. I've mostly noticed eyebarf around New Years, but that would be the resolution crowd. I always wish them well, but I think the time to start is when it's sunny, not the middle of Winter...
  #65   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:49 AM

support for the Eye barf folks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Yeah, the gyms always get really busy in January. I've mostly noticed eyebarf around New Years, but that would be the resolution crowd. I always wish them well, but I think the time to start is when it's sunny, not the middle of Winter...

[I just LOVE that headline!}

Agree with you Brent, on this--start when it's sunny, BUT, hey, the fact that they're starting AT ALL has to count for something!

Wouldn't it be great if when someone like that came in, some really built, really nice fellow gym goer came over and encouraged them: "Hey, glad you're here! Keep coming and you'll be giving me some competition in a few months!" while flexing a bicep.....

....whew, I must be delusional here! Never happen! But it's a nice fantasy!......

Mdlftr

[Obviously watching too many sappy Holiday shows and believing all those upbeat messages about the triumph of the human spirit!]
  #66   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
[I just LOVE that headline!}

Wouldn't it be great if when someone like that came in, some really built, really nice fellow gym goer came over and encouraged them: "Hey, glad you're here! Keep coming and you'll be giving me some competition in a few months!" while flexing a bicep.....

Mdlftr

[Obviously watching too many sappy Holiday shows and believing all those upbeat messages about the triumph of the human spirit!]
You know, Mdlftr, that's a GREAT idea. As the saying goes, good deeds begin and end with a single person......what if we all made it one of our New Year's resolutions to do that for someone?

I've added it to my list....anyone care to join me?
  #67   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2004, 11:37 AM

MDLftr, I love your idea, but most people are really shy, and intimidated when they first start. They'll shy away from you or whatever. I try to encourage people year 'round, but it isn't easy. They have to be ready to hear/accept it.

On the note of Holiday movies: run from them as fast as you can! The husband & I went to the happiest place on Earth yesterday, and that place is not designed with people as cynical as me in mind!

Have a happy holiday season, or don't, it's your choice.
Brent.
  #68   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Being supportive of fellow gym goers...

Well, Brent, you are right--having someone come up to you in the gym and give you the "Up With People" approach would be scary and off putting.

[Re: "Up With People" : remember them? All 'bright and cheery' scary types who used to tour the U.S., giving uplifing musical performances. I think during the 1980s? They also appeared on a few national commercials, plugging Frosted Mini-Wheats cereal, of all things. They were RELENTLESSLY Cheerful! Made you feel like some sort of grinch if you didn't RISE AND SHINE AND GREET THE NEW DAY! Oy! Enough already!...Anyway.....]

Seriously, though, I HAVE made a few limited suggestions to someone who happened to be standing near me, doing the same exercise (all wrong). I tactfully suggested, "Hey, that's a great exercise that has really worked for me, and have you tried this," while doing it with correct form. The two times I've done that, the example was appreciated. I would NEVER start doing it constantly--that would REALLY tick people off!

Limited, helpful suggestions, where appropriate. 99% of the time I shut up and don't say anything!

"Mr. Tact" Mdlftr
  #69   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM

ethernet_jock
Agreeing with MDL.... when I started at the gym I was such a nervous wreck of self-doubt and anxiety. I think if someone had walked up and said something like that to me, I'd probably freak out and not come back. Particularly with the "squeeze this" offer.... way too bold

HOWEVER - had I been working out next to someone obviously more talented and trained than me and he was lending advice on my bad form - it would be MORE than appreciated.

Just my $0.02 as usual, how come I can't keep from commenting on things?
  #70   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM

ottomun6
Hmm, don't forget the old tried and true method of "Do you need a spot?" I think its still pretty easy going and can open the door to further conversation about overall goals, etc.
After you get to know each other, then you can attack with the "Up with people" thing. If they don't run away screaming, then you can help them workout

Last edited by ottomun6; December 20th, 2004 at 07:54 PM.
  #71   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM

All good points and great ideas -- you're right, a lot of people would be more than a bit freaked out if a big guy came up to them and started touching and flexing. :P

Personally, I just stick to my big smile and my friendly Texas "Haw yew?" or "How y'all doin'?" That always helps break the ice.

The major thing that you want to avoid is the, "Who the hell are you?" glances people sometimes get when they go into a gym, especially one with a regular clientele -- not on purpose, usually, but it happens.
  #72   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:37 PM

God, I LOVE this whole "Up With People" idea! Maybe we can restart it? It's right up my alley of annoying people with kindness...
  #73   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:00 AM

ethernet_jock
Hahahha... you'd be the perfect leader Brent. Everyone would be too afraid to shoo you away so they'd have to just smile and agree and pretend to be happy all the while quaking in their boots at the size of your arms!!

LOL

Being asked to GIVE a spot - actually - introduced me to a few people at my gym. I found it to be a MAJOR compliment when a buff regular guy came over to ask little ole' ME to spot for them. That didn't happen often enough because there was always plenty of other super-buff dudes around to give spots, but it did happen twice in the year that I went there and it was a good feeling. One time one of the female personal trainers asked me to spot her on something when she was doing HER workout and then proceeded to ask if I was some guy she used to work with at so-and-so ambulance service many years ago because I supposedly looked like him..... I still wonder if she was trying for more.... I never wore my wedding ring while working out (can you say PINCH). I got to know a couple people vaguely and one guy who offered more than once to spot me if I ever needed who was also easily twice my size. I never took him up on it, but I should have.

That's great advice - spot away! :P
  #74   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM

ottomun6
Talking Caught ya peeking!

We recently had an office X-mas party and I noticed that I seemed to end up in the center of several conversations (with folks gravitating around me)
I only just now noticed that the long sleeved shirt I had on still managed to flatter my upper body. A few days earlier, I was walking up stairs, and happened to look back down at one of the directors on the main floor...and just happened to notice that he was checking out my backsides... then suddenly looked away.
This still amazes me, because I haven't trained regularly since June, I'm almost 10 pounds lighter. My normally slender frame used to have a tough time keeping the muscle mass. At the moment, the only exercise I do is flex and stretch. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of reactions I'll get when I get back to regular training and get pumped up.
  #75   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
..... I still wonder if she was trying for more.... I never wore my wedding ring while working out (can you say PINCH).
It wouldn't have helped, I always wear my wedding ring, and sometimes I wonder if it doesn't actually attract more attention from both boys & girls. I think the equation in their minds is like:
((attached == unobtainable) & (unobtainable == stronger desire)) ?
One good reason to take off your band though is the wear against those bars.

Back to Up With People, I think the most wonderfully annoying thing about attacking people with positive energy is that they can't blame you of anything wrong. That's why I always greet people with, "Bright good morning" in the AM...
  #76   Add to SithSpawn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Hey all.

Can't remember if this is the thread to ask quesions or not but I will anyway.

What does it mean if an athelete is and "All American"? Is it some special award or has he had his ancestry bred out of him? And are girls "All Americans" or just guys? Prbably a dumb qusetion but it's been bugging me for some time.

Also, you'll all be pleased/impassive to know that I bought some dumbells and a bench today as I've been told I need to lose some weight. I've been going for long walks when it's not too cold but I also need to increase my upperbody strength. Not going into bodybuilding or anything as I shouldn't be doing heavy weights with my heart problems, plus I wouldn't look too good anyway as I have a huge scar down most of my torso.

Wish me luck guys (and gals)
  #77   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM
LeatherGryphon

An "All American" boy can be pictured as one who is handsome, brave, clean, reverent, honest, helpful, courteous, thrifty, etc...

Pretty much everything the Boy Scouts of America would want him to be. In addition it doesn't hurt to have a Nordic appearance, a closet full of sports gear, a beautiful girlfriend, only one set of parents, two complete sets of grandparents, live in a house with a dog a cat and a bird, a midwestern US or California accent, be (or have been) a newspaper delivery boy, clear unblemished skin, good posture, no glasses, large hands & feet & whatever, and a twinkle in his eye, have a congressman, a lawyer, a doctor, a soldier, a writer, and a policeman in the family, speak only English, have average or above average school grades, be over 6 foot tall, weigh over 200 pounds and have a 32 inch waist.

Membership in this club means the best photo of your life will be in your highschool yearbook, you'll be bald by 30, your wife will leave you for a successful geek, your kids will be gay, your underwear would cover a truck tire, and your ultimate goal in life would be to attend the Superbowl.

#78   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM

"All American"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
An "All American" boy can be pictured as one who is handsome, brave, clean, reverent, honest, helpful, courteous, thrifty, etc...
=============================
The Boy Scouts put it thus: "Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obediant, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent."
=============================

Pretty much everything the Boy Scouts of America would want him to be. In addition it doesn't hurt to have a Nordic appearance, a closet full of sports gear, a beautiful girlfriend, only one set of parents, two complete sets of grandparents, live in a house with a dog a cat and a bird, a midwestern US or California accent, be (or have been) a newspaper delivery boy, clear unblemished skin, good posture, no glasses, large hands & feet & whatever, and a twinkle in his eye, have a congressman, a lawyer, a doctor, a soldier, a writer, and a policeman in the family, speak only English, have average or above average school grades, be over 6 foot tall, weigh over 200 pounds and have a 32 inch waist.

Membership in this club means the best photo of your life will be in your highschool yearbook, you'll be bald by 30, your wife will leave you for a successful geek, your kids will be gay, your underwear would cover a truck tire, and your ultimate goal in life would be to attend the Superbowl.

================================

Rowr! Meow! Pfsst! Guess who's not in the Ambercrombie and Fitch club?!

Actually, most "Americans" don't fit that model that LG accurately describes above. [The first part, anyway, not necessarily the 'later in life part.']

The concept of being 'American' is something that has been debated for centuries. Alexis De Tocqueville, an 18th century French writer and traveler, famously discussed it an essay, "What, then, is the 'American' this new man?" De Tocqueville and all Europeans of his time were fascinated by this new country, America, that had won its independence from an old world power, Great Britain, and was on its way to filling a continent. DeTocqueville found Americans to be independent, varied, proud, stubborn, faithful, loyal and hard working. He also found them to be fiercely proud of their independence, and willing to explore new frontiers, both geographically, and philosophically. De Tocqueville found Americans fascinating as they 'boldly went were no man' had gone before - to found a society based on the proposition that "all men are created equal," and that your circumstances at birth should not determine your life.

The American experience is an evocative image that has sustained this country for over 229 years, and is what every U.S. President is evoking when he talks about 'America.' This is what all Americans share - a hope for the future, a belief in the value of hard work, and the importance of the individual. It is this belief, that all men should be free to determine their own destinies, that is one of America's most enduring legacies to the world. [Wave flag here, detonate fireworks, stirring music ]

The devil, of course, is in the details!

Re: the teutonic imagery that LG evokes above, it IS accurate, as far as it goes, as a 20th century depiction/stereotype of a typical "All-American Guy". It was never really true, but was often used as shorthand to depict an idea, much like the 'soccer moms' and 'security moms' of recent elections.

A study on ethnic origins that I read in the last year or so noted that the most common European ethnic ancestry among Americans was German, with some 30% of the population having some German in their background. The next most common was Irish. If you think about what a 'traditional' German stereotype looks like: tall, muscular, light eyes, light hair, prominent facial bone structure,
you see where the sterotype originates.

Americans come in all shapes, sizes, colors and abilities. As we all speak up, the national 'image' of 'All American' becomes more nuanced and richer, to the betterment of us all.

Thus endeth the civics lesson for today.....

Mdlftr

Who is proud to be a blend of various ancestries and 100% American! [...and yes, I DO have big...um...feet! ]
  #79   Add to jcwise's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM

jcwise is on a distinguished road
Kudos

Good analysis Mdlftr.

If you look at the change of the "All-American" over the past two centuries i.e. George Washington, Andrew Jackson....Neil Armstrong. You will see that while they remain of white european background the image has changed. Most "All-American" heros we admire are not so much a specific look as much as they have done specific "deeds".

While the selection criteria for the opportunities is still very narrow, the opportunities have expanded, unfortunately they have not always been used to their best advantage (sports all-americans specifically).

I agree with Mdlftr's hope that since Americans come in all shapes and sizes we will see a greater opportunity for the "All-American" image to change.

jcwise

100% American 90% German orgin. [and yes, I also have big feet and ...hands!)
  #80   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM

glammaman2000
i could be wrong

but i think he was referring to"all-american"as an(american)football term.i believe it's a ranking of college-level players.btw,the Germans represent the largest constituent country-of-origen over the full span of u.s.history,so far.(&i think"square-jawed"should be a part of any PHYSICAL definition of"all-american")

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options