You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to madmax01's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM

madmax01 is on a distinguished road
A world without muscles

Recently I was reading about the history of bodybuilding, in the article said that before 19th century there wasn't anything like or related to bodybuilding, I thought, how bored could be (compared to now) without men who push their bodies to the limit just to increase muscularity for them and for the others, I just cannot imagine walk on the streets and don't see ordinaries muscle or buff guys. This is one of the reasons Im pleased to live now. Does anybody ever thought about that?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
I agree.

Ooooon the other hand, think how exciting it would have been if you had discovered that lifting heavy things and eating tons of good food would make you bigger... and you were the only one out of your personal circle of family and friends (or, heck, even the only person in your town) to know. >3
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Actually in the 19th century there were strongmen but bodybuilding was not very common at all. Being big and muscular was considered low--only slaves and working class laborers had developed muscles. There were muscular people it just was not considered a positive trait by many people.
  #4   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated View Post
Actually in the 19th century there were strongmen but bodybuilding was not very common at all. Being big and muscular was considered low--only slaves and working class laborers had developed muscles. There were muscular people it just was not considered a positive trait by many people.
There was still a fascination with big guys in general, I'd say especially in America. Look at then-modern tall tales: Paul Bunyan, John Henry being the most famous, of course.

EDIT to respond to ric's message below mine :P : You're thinking of a centaur, dude. And then there's the cyclops, minotaur. Granted, they were monsters people were scared of, but that was cuz they were ginormous.

Last edited by wolfotehmoon; October 15th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
  #5   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
ricphoenix

I thought the ancient Greeks or Romans had those stories of Hercules, Posiden, Zeus, that half man half horse thing, the Titans etc...the sculptures of those dont look exactly skinny or small. How about the gladiators? I would think if I were a gladiator and my life was on the line I would be doing some kind of physical conditioning.
  #6   Add to Atlas's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Depressed maniac

Atlas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Atlas Send a message via Yahoo to Atlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A world without muscles...isn't that called Europe?
This.
I'm still thinking about why here in Europe it looks like big muscles are almost like a taboo. Seriously.
  #7   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
In the 19th century, you had the Enlightment (which was the reappreication of the classical Greeks) and that's when people started to consider the idea of strength. It should be stated that:

1896: The Olympics were reinvented (with the first medal being awarded in the weightlfting)
1872: Jules Verne writes "Around the World in Eighty Days" and compares Passpartout with Hercules
1860: Alexandre Dumas writes "The Three Musketeers" and endows Porthos with near to superhuman strength
  #8   Add to Speck35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Speck35 is on a distinguished road
People were also pretty short back then.
  #9   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck35 View Post
People were also pretty short back then.
You've got that right. Here in Virginia there are lots of structures dating back to the 1800's and earlier. Stairways, doorways, root cellars...if you're over 5'8 or 9" you have to duck; if you have any bulk at all you have to turn sideways AND duck. There's a stone farmhouse outside of Purcellville, VA, where the walls are about 2' thick and solid rock and the doorways through them only come up to my chin.

It wouldn't take a huge man by today's standards to BE a huge man by the standards of the 1800's.
  #10   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I think the point is that the masculine ideal changes over the generations.

At the end of the 19th century / early 20th century, wealthy American men tended to be really huge. Think William Howard Taft, the only president to weigh more than 300 lbs. Their rotundity was a sign of their wealth.

That gave way to a Hollywood ideal with was "willowy" but athletic. Sort of Cary Grant crossed with Bill Tilden, the baseball player. "You can never be too rich or too thin" was the motto from about the 1920s through the 1960s.

It was only in the 1970s, with the advent of "Pumping Iron" and "Rocky," that the public began to get seriously interested in muscle. The gay liberation movement helped that along, when all those former sweater queens decided they wanted to be mustachioed Tom of Finland lumberjacks.

And that's pretty much been the case right down until the past decade, although I've heard (especially from the teen / twenty somethings I encounter here and in other gay spaces) that big and built isn't necessarily the "in" thing for young gay men, it's back to "willowy" (think Joseph Cross as Augusten Burroughs in "Running with Scissors," or, better yet, Michael Cera from "Juno" and "Arrested Development.")

As for waaaaay back...

Michelangelo, anyone? Adam and God on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? They're seriously hunky! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #11   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas88 View Post
It wouldn't take a huge man by today's standards to BE a huge man by the standards of the 1800's.
And yet there were still plenty of tall people: George Washington was 6'2, after all!

xoxo

Richard
  #12   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
And yet there were still plenty of tall people: George Washington was 6'2, after all!

xoxo

Richard
I don't know about plenty...he was considered very tall for the period...and have you BEEN to Mount Vernon? The some of the stairways are CRAZY.
  #13   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Oh, I know what you mean, Lucas! I haven't been to Mount Vernon but I have been to the brothel in Pompeii and it was a similar story. Ditto, medieval armor at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

I just meant that today's average height isn't outside the bounds of what was possible, even for then. 6'2 may have been NBA quality in the 1700s but it was Yao Ming sized. :-)

xoxo

R
  #14   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Another quick addition, I believe Frederick Douglass was also very tall, and having been to his house in DC, it had similar problems. Another little fact: he had a pair of small weights that he worked out with in his bedroom. A regular Jack LaLanne!
  #15   Add to Phlex's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM

Phlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
In the 19th century, you had the Enlightment (which was the reappreication of the classical Greeks) and that's when people started to consider the idea of strength. It should be stated that:

1896: The Olympics were reinvented (with the first medal being awarded in the weightlfting)
1872: Jules Verne writes "Around the World in Eighty Days" and compares Passpartout with Hercules
1860: Alexandre Dumas writes "The Three Musketeers" and endows Porthos with near to superhuman strength
And don't forget Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" (Hugo, 1862).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options