The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
Shoulder press fail

Last night was delt-and-trap night. After warm up movements with cables (especially for rotator cuff), my training partner and I usually start the real workout with seated DB shoulder presses. This week is a heavy week in our cycle of weight/rep variations: our work sets are heavy enough that our target rep range is 5-7 reps. (Other weeks are 10-12 reps and 12-20 reps.) And for that heavy a weight, we find we can't get both DBs up from our knees at the start on our own, so the lifter will kick one up to the starting position at his shoulder and then the spotter hands him the other weight at his other shoulder. Okay, I've set the stage.

It turns out, though, that it wasn't our best night ever for overhead DB presses. Too little sleep? Didn't eat right? Who knows...some nights just don't play out how you like. Oddly, though, all other movements last night went great.

I tried to move up in weight just a little. Just 5 more pounds in each hand. My previous best for heavy nights has been with the 115s. I've not done them many times, but I thought I'd move up and try the 120s. It did not go well. Two not-so-pretty reps and no focus, no mind-muscle connection. I aborted rather than risk injury. And I moved back down to the 110s for the rest of my work sets. Maybe next time I'll master the 120s?

I *think* I threw the 120s down to the floor rather than try to control them back down to my knees (in some ways it's all a blur). So yes, I'm one of those assholes who sometimes drops weights. For the other sets with 110s, I had controlled descents. Sort of. I managed to hit my right leg hard enough after one of those sets that it still hurts 24 hours later...like a bruise. But I don't see a bruise, so whatever it is must be deeper.

So for all you guys who hate me and others for dropping weights, let me ask how *you'd* like to feel 110-to-120-lb dumbbells drop from shoulder height onto your legs? Hahahaha!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:36 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Hey, I just hate you for being able to do it, that's all! :-)

If you can't control the weight, please drop it on the floor, not on yourself!

xoxo

Richard
  #3   Add to bigbob111's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM

bigbob111 is on a distinguished road
thats a good target for shoulder press. Around 60 - 70% is the ideal range
  #4   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
first i think your pre exhusted the muscle doing cables as a warm up. that proberlly accounts for your not being able to handel the weight you have done in the past. Second its easier if you have 2 people to hand you the weight if your doing more than you can bump up. while your holding the one weight you are exercising the muscle some untill the other gets in ur hand. also you can set yourself up for a injury. If your bodybuilding its more about form and control, than the number your moving. when our egos get involved is when we usually get hurt.
  #5   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
Cables for me before chest and shoulder workouts are just for rotator cuff: cable internal and external rotation, as shown here (scroll down a little over halfway):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

It's just to warm things up. I also do a couple of lighter sets of DB presses before my work sets. Yes, if I do too much with those warmup sets then I don't do as well on the work sets. As you point out, in that case the muscle is pre-exhausted.

Laterals--whether with DBs or cables or a machine--come later in the workout.

We always use weights we think we can control for the rep range we're targeting that night. I'd done fine with the 115s other nights and didn't think the 120s would be a stretch. But it just wasn't there. Happens sometimes. Like I said, all our other movements went well, so I can't just call it an off night overall.

Thanks for the feedback.
  #6   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
it would have been better if you did a light streatch first 2 sets of say 15 reps to warm up then go into your working sets. als if your bbing then its about form and control weith is the 3 rd part. try this try holding at the top 1-2 seconds and do a 4 count down and a 2-3 second up . increase the time under tension and see how that does. you may have to drop the weight some but overall you should get better results.
  #7   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
There is a big difference in dropping the weight to avoid injury and dropping the weight just because you want to draw attention to yourself.
  #8   Add to garrix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM

garrix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garrix
120 lbs dumbells?

But im totally with slevin on this... theres a huge difference when a big guy drops the weight because its really heavy and when a guy slams the weight around to get attention. I know that if i heard or saw a dude doing that kind of weight and then dropping it, I wouldnt be surprised or annoyed. I would kinda expect it. heh.

And I actually work out with a guy who likes to make noise. Sometimes its kinda embarrassing, but he's a good guy (and strong as hell), but he gets a pump out of the noise itself, which is a little different too, since its not about attracting attention from other people either.

I also recently lifted with a guy who knows muscle very well (he has a serious stuctural-biology background) and he told me very clearly not to warmup with too much delt work since delts are "small and relatively weak" muscles that can become exhausted quickly. Just food for thought i guess.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options