Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ekigyuu's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Noodles & Beef

ekigyuu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekigyuu
Muscle Growth: Sthenolagnia + Macrophilia?

Is there a fetish classification for Muscle Growth fantasy?

I can't find it anywhere on Wikipedia (scandalous!). The closest paraphilia in the DSM is Sthenolagnia (sexual arousal from displaying muscles/strength) and (maybe) Macrophilia.

Why does this matter?
I'm finally in a relationship where my partner knows (and is curious!) about this whole muscle/growth/fetish thing. But, when he asked, I had no idea where to start. I tried forwarding some stories and morphed photos his way, but they didn't make much sense to him.

Maybe if there's a formal classification I can teach him about it more effectively.

Does anyone else have experience explaining this to non-muscle-growth-fetishists?

Thanks!
  #2   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Woah, what a surprise. When'd you get here, dude? x3

As for your question, the closest thing I've ever found was "myophilia," but I don't think it's a formal classification, or that there even is one. I'd just say what it is: a sexual attraction to large muscles and strength. It's probably a variation on the desire for confidence, control, and in some cases, domination in social and sexual situations, overwhelming size and muscularity being a natural and obvious physical manifestation. Largeness in general is inherently intimidating. And then I'm sure there's something to be said for the aesthetics of a muscular body; if it's naturally pleasing to the eye, it can be sexualized. And I guess some people just like the idea of being able to take up more space than the average person.

As for muscle *growth*, our preoccupation with that is probably something to do with instant gratification; the spontaneous acquisition of desired qualities has always been a human ambition, something even society as a whole works toward through scientific innovation (see: plastic surgery for aesthetic qualities, the internet for information, the MYRIAD of personal electronics for entertainment, etc). With muscle, there's no way to get it quickly and easily, so obviously we'd turn to fantasy, and fantasy always has a chance of being sexualized in the minds of the sexual beings that we are.

Of course, though, everybody brings their own experiences and desires to the table. The above might or might not apply. Likewise, there're probably things I've missed; there're probably specific intricacies in desire and expression for each and every person into this stuff. But I'd like to say that this is pretty accurate.

tl;dr Beeeg muscles = confidence and control, spontaneous muscle growth = instant gratification

Last edited by wolfotehmoon; March 1st, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to garrix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM

garrix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garrix
Actually I heard a theory somewhere (a very freudian one in my opinion) that muscle growth, and these growth-related fetishes, are related inherently to male sexuality and the swelling of the penis during arousal. That growth process becomes tied directly to sexuality and then taken in different directions. Bur i don't think that explains why there are some women interested in this fetish too, so while it might have some truth for some, i dont think it explains everything by a long shot.

As for me though, I'm more into masculinity, and lots of muscle (aside from being aesthetically very pleasing) is inherently associated with being a masculine trait and therefore the augmentation of masculinity (muscularity) becomes a sexual process. Someone else i know felt this way about the fetish too, that it was all tied up with an individual's concept of masculinity and the process of augmenting that.
  #4   Add to bigbob111's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:16 AM

bigbob111 is on a distinguished road
Im no authority on this matter, but i suspect the term "incrementophillia" will eventually make its way into common use.
  #5   Add to tennisfan9's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM

tennisfan9 is on a distinguished road
I agree with wolf in almost everything he is saying and I also find myself in a relation with garrix's explanation. Even so, I don't think there is any concrete root to this desire or fantasy that many of us on this website have, but more a combination of preferences, life experiences, and a multitude of other "complexities" that all tie together to make everyone's ultimate pleasure different.

I have tried explaining this, our fetish so to speak, to a few select few and I, too, have failed in bringing the point across.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options