The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to mrmuscles28's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM

mrmuscles28 is on a distinguished road
Muscle bear vs. Bodybuilder build

I really want to start hitting the gym and gaining muscle, but i dont know whether i want to build up to be more of a bear(hairy, gut still apparent, lots of mass) or bodybuilder(more tone along with mass, and id have to lose weight first). So my question is what are the pros and cons of each build type? And how should i eat/train for each build?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to sabretooth's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM

sabretooth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sabretooth Send a message via Yahoo to sabretooth
muscle bear is what im goin fer
  #3   Add to vanillamountain's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM

vanillamountain
Obviously the biggest pros and cons relate to health. While I am attracted to the muscle bear "type," I'm the first person to admit that it isn't healthy to have that big of a waist or to carry extra body fat than you need. I'm not saying anyone has to have a six-pack, but there's fine line between having a bear belly and being super cut.

Of the two types, I would say the "muscle bear" look is harder to maintain in the long term. I know a bunch of guys who ate big and lifted big and gave up after a while because they became too busy -- they continued to eat big, and they stopped lifting, so they became really fat. My friends who had muscle but were lean, however, never really got fat because they weren't overeating to begin with.

Regardless of what you do, I would say to incorporate cardio into your routine. It's good for your heart, and it'll ensure that you have stamina for your day to day activities. I know some big guys who huff and puff when they have to go up a flight of stairs, and it's not a very attractive quality.
  #4   Add to Stealthwolf2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Stealthwolf2 is on a distinguished road
My body naturally seems to want to be more of a muscle bear shape (minus the chest hair; it's impossible for the men in my family to grow any. Oh well) plus, I don't have the will power to diet and do as much cardio as required to have a competitive bodybuilder's body. I mean, I work hard, and I diet well, just not to the extremes necessary of a bodybuilder. I won't marginalize other parts of my life to satisfy the lifestyle required of a bodybuilder, so I don't.

Plus, I quite enjoy having a the extra bit of mass to throw around. I've always enjoyed and envied the healthy thick body more than the ripped to shreds one. So the choice was simple.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options