Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to wetcoffee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:32 AM

wetcoffee is on a distinguished road
Growing Taller from Growing Muscles

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd post this here. I have had an interesting three years now. When I was 18 I reached 5'10" and I felt lucky because my Dad was 6'0" and my Mom 5'4" and so many of the men on both sides of the family were shorter than me, except my Maternal Grandfather at 6'2", he was the tallest.

About three years ago, I started lifting, and running, and swimming, etc. I have lost some weight, and a strange thing started happening, my feet grew from a size 12 to a size 14 (I now wear size 15) and I thought, well some guys say your feet grow when you start being an avid runner. Then I started to notice my jeans and pants were a bit short. But my waist was smaller, so I thought prehaps with developing a strong pair of glutes etc. I just needed a bit more length because the fabric was covering more muscles. But I felt I had grown maybe an inch or so, probably just the feeling of being thin and standing straighter.
Also, about this time, I truly felt like my penis had grown a bit thicker and longer, but when you lose weight, every guy thinks they have experience penis growth, but it's because your fat doesn't cover it up as much. But I know from the locker room that I am among the most gifted men now.

Then I went for a check-up, and the nurse measured me at 6'1" I was shocked! The doctor said that probably my working out routine had released the last of my hormones from puberty and that I shouldn't worry. I thought this was awesome! That was a year and a half ago, yesterday I went in for another check-up and I measured 6'3" My doctor thinks I could still end up taller, she could be right, my jeans and shirts and all a bit short for me. She predicted I'd stop around 6'5 or 6'6

Has anybody else had any growth in height from working out?
-Nick
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Which means

(if you believe all that blumf about BMI) that you should weigh something along the lines of 96.02kg - 115.22kg (212 - 254lbs)
  #3   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
I didn't personally experience it, but I know a guy who grew a couple inches in college (from 5'10" to 6') and he told me that "everything" grew during this time. He also started working out in college. But, I understand a lot of men don't finish growing until their early twenties (lucky dudes!).

Your growth is unusual but not unheard of - enjoy the new attitude and altitude. Plus, if your penis is growing well...jackpot baby!
  #4   Add to wetcoffee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
(if you believe all that blumf about BMI) that you should weigh something along the lines of 96.02kg - 115.22kg (212 - 254lbs)
I weigh about 230, I have really slimmed out as I've grown taller. But I am trying to add as much muscle as possible.
  #5   Add to grywlf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM

grywlf is on a distinguished road
my dad went in the army at age 18 at 5ft11 when he left at 24 he was 6ft6 but he had a mother 6ft and i father 6ft8 i was told i was done growing at age 18 at 6ft1 by 23 i was 6ft5
  #6   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Hmmm, from the very limited responses here it sure sounds to me that if you're tall (let's say over 5'9") you have a good chance of getting taller later. Anyone ever hear of a shorter/average guy (under 5'9") getting taller after high school? I'm curious now. Working out may not be the only "trigger" but I'm certain that it doesn't hurt!
  #7   Add to Zap's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Zap is on a distinguished road
For starters, your genetics set the max height you can reach. Your overall health is what determines how tall you will get within that set range. Other factors such as drug abuse or serious injuries will also play a role in how tall you get.

Further more, men do not stop growing until their early/mid twenties. Men also tend to broaden out during the later stages of puberty (somewhere between 18~22 depending). As such, it should be of no surprise that some men also grow taller during this time. After all, the body IS releasing growth hormones (to widen you out a bit), so there's your reason for growing taller. Your sudden lifestyle switch would also play a role in suddenly gaining height, since your overall health is better.

As for penis growth, that's sort of DOES happen when you lose weight. The fat on the pelvic area is mostly gone (sans the obligatory padding), meaning your penis' base is fully exposed and not covered by fat. Not to mention having less fat means you'll have less estrogen (fat = more estrogen) and your circulation will also improve. That means erections will be harder and when your penis is flaccid (due to better circulation) it will appear fuller. So it doesn't REALLY grow, but it looks like it does because the rest of you shrinks in size.

So in a sense, working out (getting into a healthier routine) does make you taller, but only as tall as your genetics allow. And assuming you workout while you're going through puberty. Once puberty is over, your body pretty stops growing upward since it's done with releasing the hormones needed for them to grow.
  #8   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
I haven't checked my height in a while but I have noticed something on a few of the machines I do use. Namely in order to get into the right position I had to set it lower than I use to just to keep in the same position on the range of motion (IE the pec flye was a 6 setting, now it's down to 7.5).

I'm 29 so I should have stopped growing taller but it seems that exercising is doing something besides adding muscle to my frame. The frame itself may be adding to itself to allow for more muscle.

Call me crazy but I'm sticking to this one.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #9   Add to wetcoffee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlf View Post
my dad went in the army at age 18 at 5ft11 when he left at 24 he was 6ft6 but he had a mother 6ft and i father 6ft8 i was told i was done growing at age 18 at 6ft1 by 23 i was 6ft5
that's wicked awesome man! hope i can grow that much, was there anything specific that you did? diet? exercise? sleep?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options