The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A really depressing time and situation

Though I must make the disclaimer that things could always be worse.

I'm sitting here at home for the next 5 weeks, having had back surgery 3 weeks ago today. It consisted of 3 lumbar micro-discectomies. That is, not full removal of the discs, just a portion to relieve pressure and compression of the nerve(s) running down my right leg.

For weeks before that I was not able to work out due to the pain, and actually being advised against it by the doctors. The cause was probably last year's snow shoveling, according to the doctors. We had a particularly bad string of snowstorms. At one point I had to break up and move what felt like tons of snow and ice that had been piled up by township plows. What began to melt re-froze and was re-plowed and piled up after the next storm in the next few days.

In October (the 17th to be precise) I outlined a new transformation goal. For the first month or so I was doing pretty well and dropped about 10 lbs. Needless to say that's all been stalled now.

Deadlifting and squatting are now forever forbidden; in about 8 weeks I'll see the surgeon again and find out just what I can and cannot do. For now I want a set of kettlebells, which I think would be OK, even though I'd have to use baby weight. Because of their mass distribution, kettlebells seem far heavier than an equal weight dumbell. But the doctor says no. For now I can only walk (for which I am grateful ).

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
So sorry to hear about this, dude Here's hoping you recover relatively quickly. And even if your dreams of transformation have to take a backseat to difficult realities, it's awesome that you're keeping up with it as much as you can. Good luck, man.
  #3   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks. I really do have to keep in mind that it's a detour and a setback, not a catastrophe. Unfortunately it points out how passionate (obsessive? ) about our endeavors to reach our physique goals. For a while I let my diet go to crap but even if I can't work out now, at least I can keep my diet in check.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

#4   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry to hear that =\.

You should consult with a sports medicine doctor, or even better a sports surgeon. They will give you a straight answer about what you can and cannot do post-surgery. I'm not ragging on your surgeon, just giving you all the options!

I'm glad you are sticking with the diet and I'm sure your passion will find a way to overcome this
  #5   Add to Big Jake's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Lost bull.

Big Jake is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Big Jake Send a message via AIM to Big Jake Send a message via MSN to Big Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Big Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Big Jake
Wow. Tough break big guy. Don't worry though. We still pullin' for ya.
  #6   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
etc etc.

First let me say i have been there having a double spinal fusion of l-3, l-4 s-1. the docotrs told me a lot of stuff too. i was told i would never lift agin , have major movement issues by my late 30's etc, etc. it will take time and work but you should be able to make a full recovery and get back to a normal life. it's not going to happen over night. Your going have to start very slow and with very light weight and strenghtn the spinal erector muscles. If you want more info or some help let me know.
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
CHiming in here

Hello Minotaur,

It seems like I am "always" chiming in on these "I'm injured and can't workout anymore" threads. Mostly because I've been there myself.

Eleven years ago I had an L5-S1 laminectomy. [BTW, fwiw, this is the most common spinal injury and most common spinal surgery] I was told by my surgeon that "I should NEVER, EVER lift anything over my head again" and, "SQUATS are forbidden!" Yadda yadda yadda.

Well the surgeon WAS correct in that I should not go out and do those exercises "right away". What happened was that, with PROPER REHABILITATION, preferably with a trainer who knows what he/she is doing, you CAN go back to working out.

Today, after further surgeries (ACL on left knee; skull base surgery for an acoustic neuroma) I am still working out and making gains. The reality is that we all have set backs from time to time but you CAN come back from them.

Will you become a humongeous, gigantic, steroided-out freakazoid with 35 inch thighs and 26 inch arms with a 58 inch chest? No, probably not---but then, you, and the rest of humanity was never going to go there anyway, regardless of whether you got hurt or not.

Forget the hype and the [Fun] fantasy in these muscle sites. The important thing is that 1. you were injured 2. you got excellent medical care to fix the problem 3. you now have to concentrate on getting well and 4. you are incredibly motivated to get better and get back in the gym!

Hooray for you! [If this post seems relentlessly upbeat and cheerful...well, it's supposed to be! ] Go out there and know that you will recover and you WILL be back in the gym eventually.

Happy New Year!

Mdlftr

Last edited by Mdlftr; January 8th, 2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typos
  #8   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks muy mucho (talk about fractured languages ). I appreciate the encouragement, and psycho as it sounds, it's good to hear others have been there. Aw crap, you know whatI mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
I'm sorry to hear that =.

You should consult with a sports medicine doctor, or even better a sports surgeon. They will give you a straight answer about what you can and cannot do post-surgery. I'm not ragging on your surgeon, just giving you all the options!

I'm glad you are sticking with the diet and I'm sure your passion will find a way to overcome this
The sports med. doc is a great suggestion. I have a good group of chiropractors, one of whom I must credit with getting me to walk pain free at one point, even before my first (of two) epidural. As good as they are, I'd like to find one who actually weight trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Wow. Tough break big guy. Don't worry though. We still pullin' for ya.
Thanks ya big lunk. Btw, I thought I responded to your friend request but it keeps popping up. Must try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOEY View Post
First let me say i have been there having a double spinal fusion of l-3, l-4 s-1. the docotrs told me a lot of stuff too. i was told i would never lift agin , have major movement issues by my late 30's etc, etc. it will take time and work but you should be able to make a full recovery and get back to a normal life. it's not going to happen over night. Your going have to start very slow and with very light weight and strenghtn the spinal erector muscles. If you want more info or some help let me know.
Thanks so much, and I hear you loud and clear about what is essentially taking baby steps. I can't think at the moment if mine were L3, L4, L5 or L4, L5 and S1 micro-discectomies. All I remember is that there were three. The MRI didn't even show them all. Only when the surgeon went in did he fnd the third. And the others don't look good either. So in the future I may be re-visiting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Hello Minotaur,

It seems like I am "always" chiming in on these "I'm injured and can't workout anymore" threads. Mostly because I've been there myself.
Chime in, please chime in!

Quote:
Eleven years ago I had an L5-S1 laminectomy. [BTW, fwiw, this is the most common spinal injury and most common spinal surgery] I was told by my surgeon that "I should NEVER, EVER lift anything over my head again" and, "SQUATS are forbidden!" Yadda yadda yadda. ...
My partner (who doesn't work out, for the record) had an L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 laminectomy, discectomy and fusion. He has more titanium (the cages) than a 747. With some lift and thrust he could take off from Newark Liberty Int'l Airport. That was a good 11 years ago and he still has problems. I'm not going to be there come hell or high water.

Quote:
Will you become a humongeous, gigantic, steroided-out freakazoid with 35 inch thighs and 26 inch arms with a 58 inch chest? No, probably not---but then, you, and the rest of humanity was never going to go there anyway, regardless of whether you got hurt or not.

Forget the hype and the [Fun] fantasy in these muscle sites. The important thing is that 1. you were injured 2. you got excellent medical care to fix the problem 3. you now have to concentrate on getting well and 4. you are incredibly motivated to get better and get back in the gym!
Oh, you are absolutely correct. My goal is a muscled fitness/athletic physique. I got too fat, and that also put a strain on my back. Bulls are not fat. In fact the idea of maxing out (not only contraindicated) is even a turn-off for me. Hey, I applaud and respect and love the muscle and power monsters, but I can't do it. I'll be 54 years old in July, for God's sake!

Quote:
Hooray for you! [If this post seems relentlessly upbeat and cheerful...well, it's supposed to be! ] Go out there and know that you will recover and you WILL be back in the gym eventually.

Happy New Year!

Mdlftr
No, no! Relentless and upbeat cheerfulness is much appreciated.

#9   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Back 'atcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
I'll be 54 years old in July, for God's sake!
I'll be 53 in two weeks! So hooray for us "mature muscleheads"!***

***Aka "old farts"

Mdlftr
  #10   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Quote:
I'll be 53 in two weeks! So hooray for us "mature muscleheads"!***

***Aka "old farts"

Mdlftr
Early happy b'day! The number of the age doesn't bother me, I just can't believe how fast I got here. Well, that's not entirely true that it doesn't bother me... I didn't get these gray hairs from laughing, so I shave head and face. After three days I see shimmery silver, and it's "oh fuck no!" and the razor comes out.

#11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Early happy b'day! The number of the age doesn't bother me, I just can't believe how fast I got here. Well, that's not entirely true that it doesn't bother me... I didn't get these gray hairs from laughing, so I shave head and face. After three days I see shimmery silver, and it's "oh fuck no!" and the razor comes out.
"Hair for Men" is great for that little problem....

Mdlftr
  #12   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Quote:
"Hair for Men" is great for that little problem....

Mdlftr
I used to use it on my goatee. But as the years passed and my skin tone changed (got lighter), I always had to go lighter. Who knows?... in these next 5-6 weeks I have to be home, I may do that again. By the time I go back to work, no one will notice.

#13   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
This time last year I had an impinged shoulder, bicep microtears and a torn foot ligament within a month of resuming training and then couldn't do a thing for months, but look at me now! By appreciating the time you have off from the gym you won't eat out of depression and worsen your situation. Enjoy your breather knowing you'll progress rapidly once you resume training. Why rush things and set yourself back further?

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle
  #14   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Muscled Chub Club

You're right about not pushing and making things worse. Someone said to me the other night, and it had to do with doing all kinds of physical things, "I've been following you through this the whole time, you didn't come this far to fuck it up, I don't want to see that".

I can start driving a little next week, and one of my first trips will be to the gym. I will probably do an upper body machine workout using extremely light weights and high reps. High for me is usually 12-15, but I might go 15-20. At the first sign of "oh shit I can't do this", I won't.

No lower body whatsoever except walking. Even a leg extension would severely affect my back. It's funny, you don't realize the muscles involved in any activity when you can't use them. While I'm there I'll probably use the treadmill. With the ice and snow out here I won't chance an outdoor walk, especially at 26 degrees. It might be good to walk in the mall, maybe I'll see some muscle eye candy.

#15   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:51 AM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Kettlebells are actually harder to use because they use more of the body at once.
You'll need to do specific therapy first. Don't trust your general doctor or even your surgeon to be any good at all with predicting how well you'll recover.

My first lifting partner, back in 1984, was a kid who had broken his left arm in four places after a motorcycle accident; it was pinned together and he was told it wouldn't ever work properly. He had to go back for surgery to get the pins pulled out because they were impinging on his tendons after six months of CAREFUL recuperation and training.

The doctor practically shat himself.
  #16   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks... yeah, I've pretty much decided against kettlebells for now, and maybe forever. Before this crap started I was going to use the 1 pood, 16 kg. I even had the routine mapped out. Most people don't know that a 35 lb kettlebell feels way heavier than a 35 lb dumbell because of the distribution of its mass.

I'm still on the search for a sports/rehab MD who knows how and what I can do and what kind of therapy. Internists and surgeons, and most non-sports specific doctors just don't have a clue.

#17   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:19 AM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
i have been working out around injuries for 7 years. yes, mourn that you will never be able to be a 21 yr old powerlifter again.... but focus on what you CAN do. right now your job is listening to the doc and PTs, complying w/ program, and HEALING. Diet plays a huge role...
When u are recovered and know your limitations, what can you do to train and be your own personal best? If it's not BODYBUILDING, it's SOMETHING. That something may be MAINTAINING A RIPPED STRONG BODY WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE LIMITATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN. we do not choose the hand we are dealt but we can choose how to play them. attitude. Visualize where you want to be. And passs on your bodybuilding knowledge to the young men in your gym, help them eat and train and prevent injury. Pass it on.
  #18   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by polomuscle View Post
.... but focus on what you CAN do. right now your job is listening to the doc and PTs, complying w/ program, and HEALING. Diet plays a huge role...

MAINTAINING A RIPPED STRONG BODY WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE LIMITATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN. we do not choose the hand we are dealt but we can choose how to play them. attitude. Visualize where you want to be.
Sorry about your injuries too. It sucks. But everything you said above is so true and are what my goals are now. And it's true I'm not 21 or 30 or 40 anymore. I have an image in mind of what I want my physique to be. that image is just what you said... strong, lean and muscled. This guy's build is not unlike mine, that is, short, stocky and fireplug. I think I can get back to this...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ewmein2011.jpg

My diet lately has not been the best because I am off my daily routine and timetable, being out of work. I usually go without eating most of the day, then I eat once or twice, though they are small meals. But I have been cheating... a Dunkin donut here or there.

My dietary goal is something along the lines of Body For life... a fairly balanced lean protein, low glycemic carbs, lower fat. It's about 40/35/25 p/c/f. I am starting to pretty much shift to that, except for those slight derailments. But those happen when I don't eat my proper foods.

I wanted to start back st the gym this week, walking on the treadmill because of the ice and snow we have, but now it's fucking snowing again... 6-10". I was going to try some of the machines with just a "select-a-plate" or two. Now it looks like next week.

Aaah, now I'm rambling... as I watch the snow through the French door coming down.

#19   Add to musclejunkie22's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM

musclejunkie22
Send a message via Yahoo to musclejunkie22
Hey, sorry to hear about your back issues. I've been in the same boat for about the past 4 months. I had a bad bicycle accident and really messed up my left hand. So no pressing or pulling movements. I'm only just now starting to do them very lightly. Anyways, concentrate on getting better, listen to your PT's and do whatever you can at the gym. The most important thing is to get there and do something. I have surprisingly kept most of my weight and muscle (47 years old, 5'10" 185lbs) and I'm convinced it's because I got my butt in the gym and did whatever I could, even with light weight.

Anyways, good luck to you and hang in there. I know it sucks!
  #20   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks. I'm sorry about your injury too. Seems like almost everyone has or had some sort of injury. I'm really hoping to get back to the gym soon, even this coming week. I planned on this week, but something kept coming up. Instead of planning I should just pick up and go.

#21   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Well, I finally got to the gym this morning. Yay me! The owner saw me at a station and yelled "is that Frank I see?" I said "yes it is". I've been a member for over 10 years, and we always banter back and forth. I told him about the back surgery, so he says "OK lift up the shirt and pull down the waist band, c'mon let's see how big your scar is".

He looked at it and said his was tiny in comparison. I had forgotten he had back surgery years ago. And he's a big strapping former competitive bodybuilder (translation: hunk!). He was duly impressed with my scar. Gee thanks... I think.

To the workout...

I did a set of seated chest presses, a set of machine rows, seated shoulder press, pec deck and a seated cable row. I did some cable triceps pushdowns, biceps curls and side raises. The reps were high, variously between 15-25.

It sounds like I'm jumping the gun, but the weights really were pretty light, though even the owner told me to just go easy now. Especially considering he knows what I used to move in weights.

This afternoon I went to The Sports Authority. I got a 25 lb kettlebell, a 15 lb dumbell and the Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar. http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580...208768/300.JPG It really is pretty good. I did a few pull ups and push ups with the various grips; I haven't done the dips.

I only bought one kettlebell and one dumbell for now because I have to use one arm to brace myself... I can't let my back take the brunt of it.
The 25 lb kettlebell will be a good way to do biceps curls, overhead and floor presses. Of course, one side at a time.

I can do a duck squat with it for my legs, or even a swing if I can manage it. I can use the dumbell or get another lighter kettlebell (yeah! another toy!) for triceps overhead extensions. Maybe if I can get up early enough I can do one of these quickie workouts before work. And now I have this as an adjunct to getting to the gym.

The point is that if you really want something, you'll find a way.

#22   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, I finally got to the gym this morning.
To the workout...

The point is that if you really want something, you'll find a way.
HOORAY for YOU! **Clap** **Clap** **Clap**Clap***

Welcome back to the gym!

Now Quit hogging the bench! (GRIN)

Mdlftr (back in the gym myself)
  #23   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks, but not to worry about the bench. No benching for a while because I will arch my back. I have to do everything seated vertically, not even inclined. When I did the overhead press, I arched my back slightly. Silly as this may sound and look, I may have to get a strap to wrap around myself in the seat, like a seatbelt, to keep my back against the seat. Or less silly looking I can use that stiff wrap around brace. That may also be the answer for being able to bench.

I will just have to try to see what I can do, not what I can't do. As Don Henley sang in The Boys of Summer A little voice inside my head said, "don?t look back. you can never look back. "Those days are gone forever I should just let them go...

I am only mildly sore, no worse than any other workout I've ever done, in fact less so. But I feel a little irritation in my right elbow; I am prone to lateral and medial epicondylitis, aka tennis and golfer's elbow, respectively. Even using the pull up bar at home, I'll have to use my elbow brace. That is no big deal.

#24   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Wouldn't you not arch your back if you lift light? What about seated bench press machines?

- Dorothy Parker

- Eager Muscle

- Eager Muscle
  #25   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Muscled Chub Club

There's always a chance of arching your back, though if the weight is light enough, it shouldn't be a problem. Yes, I can use seated machines for chest pressing.

I got some equipment to use at home. I got a set of kettlebells in 20, 25 and 30 lbs. I want to get a 35 lb 'bell. I can't afford pairs, and neither can I do double movements. That is, I have to do one shoulder press or side raise, or triceps extension or front raise, or row, etc. per side at a time; I have to brace myself by holding on to something sturdy. I can also wear my rigid back support.

I can do sumo squats because my back is completely straight doing them. They are not unlike front squats. The same for static lunges. Regular deadlifting is out, though a sumo squat is a form of deadlifting. I can do floor presses and overhead triceps extensions. So it turns out I can actually do a lot of movements in and out of the gym if I work smart.

I also got an Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar
Don't laugh, despite the hyperbole of the commercial. It really is pretty good. You really can use it for pull ups, elevated dips, and push ups. I don't expect this kind of body from it, however.

And yes, I'm really dying to try a Shake Weight.

#26   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Muscled Chub Club

I haven't abandoned this thread because all is now hunky-dory. I haven't abandoned it at all. And it's far from hunky-dory. Ironic to use the word "hunky". All my plans and hopes to be on my way to being back in "fighting shape" to the extent I can, have been dashed and turned to shit. I had to see my surgeon again because the pain in my leg returned. It was so bad one morning I could not lean forward to flush the toilet. I had to wait until the pain dissipated.

The surgeon put me on a five day course of methylprednisolone (Medrol) though he thought this had to be a muscular, not nerve issue. He said if this did not work another MRI was in the cards. I was to report back to him. Ironically on the last day of the Medrol, I had the worst pain ever. Then it all subsided for a few weeks.

I waited, cautiously optimistic that the pain would not return. Well, it has. But it's so far limited to my ankle area. However, my low back is painful. When I get up from sitting, I get up hunched over and slowly stand upright. I also need to push myself up with my arms. The ride to and from work (31 miles and 50-55 mins.) kills me.

He ordered another MRI, which I had yesterday and referred me to his pain management associate. I'm seeing him on Tuesday and bringing my fresh MRI films. He might recommend another epidural, which I will not go for. They rarely work, and I already owe the hospital over $900 for the last two (my part of the insurance).

As to the working out, the surgeon told me in no uncertain terms that until this is resolved I am not to touch a weight, not even for my arms. I told him I'm turning into a blob of protoplasm. He said "flex your arm". I did and he said, "you got muscle!" I said no, I've lost 1.5" off my arms. Well, I can't even work my arms he said... nothing a'tall. Though I walk as much as I can, which is not much without my back starting to tense up.

So to that end, I returned the kettlebells to The Sports Authority and got $200 back.

#27   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
As a nurse, I hear what you're saying. Please listen to your doctor. You are always welcome to get a 2nd opinion though.

So I would assume that you're feeling and experiencing a sense of loss. Please hang in there. Muscle is one of the few things lost that can be rebuilt. I deeply understand your grief in loss.

Please listen to your doctor and eat healthy. Get pleanty of rest. Now is the time to heal, not to build.

Blessings to you.

In hope,

Taylor Gerovac LPN

yahoo: storyen
  #28   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiments and advice. You are right and I have every intention of listening to the doctors. This pain management doctor is kind of the 2nd opinion. My surgeon was even a 2nd opinion. And all these guys are known to be conservative in their approaches. So I feel in good hands in that respect.

I know that I'll eventually get back at least some of what I lost. I can get the size but I don't know about the strength. I know I'll never shoulder 295 lbs again to squat, nor pull 345 lbs. But that's OK, because I was getting more than a little burned out from maxing out.

It's definitely a sense of loss. "O how the mighty have fallen" is probably the best description. Of course the corollary to that is the Japanese proverb "fall seven times, get up eight".

#29   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
When things get bad, I think of the city I live in and the legend its based on: the Phoenix.

You too shall rise again. Life and this world we call home has its cycles, as do we. Don't fight the cycles, harness them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oSTyWYGJ6E

yahoo: storyen
  #30   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Life keeps 'coming at ya' fast!

Hello Minotaur,

I am sorry to hear about the latest development in your situaton with your back. I can definitely relate.

After I had back surgery 10 years ago, I 'sort of' got back to lifting, then I had to take a medical layoff for 17 months due to skull base surgery for a benign brain tumor! I was back from THAT, and working with my trainer and making good gains, when I was just sidelined from lifting for 3 1/2 weeks due to getting stitches in my back and butt due to having moles removed. Good news: no cancer, no melanomas. Bad news: no lifting until the stitches come out.

Naturally I am all worried about losing my gains, losing my strength, my pants getting tighter, etc. etc. etc. BUT -- I am keeping my spirits up, and telling myself - "Hey, good result on the biopsies, just have to wait for the stitches to come out--- and then -- it's BACK TO THE GYM!"

Point is, life comes at you fast, and you have no guarantees that you will be healthy from day to day. Of course, all the 20- and 30- and even 40- somethings think "this will never happen" to them. Just wait. It's not the medical event or layoff that's the real determinant of character -- it's the getting back to the workout, and picking up from there!

You'll be back! Just work on getting better and know you'll be back!

Best,

Mdlftr
  #31   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by msllover View Post
When things get bad, I think of the city I live in and the legend its based on: the Phoenix.

You too shall rise again. Life and this world we call home has its cycles, as do we. Don't fight the cycles, harness them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oSTyWYGJ6E
Good ones! Must Remember. Fantasia is incredible. I have the LP boxed up, and I think we have the VHS. I hope it's still playable. Thanks for reminding me.

#32   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Quote:
Hello Minotaur,

I am sorry to hear about the latest development in your situaton with your back. I can definitely relate.

After I had back surgery 10 years ago, I 'sort of' got back to lifting, then I had to take a medical layoff for 17 months due to skull base surgery for a benign brain tumor! I was back from THAT, and working with my trainer and making good gains, when I was just sidelined from lifting for 3 1/2 weeks due to getting stitches in my back and butt due to having moles removed. Good news: no cancer, no melanomas. Bad news: no lifting until the stitches come out.

Naturally I am all worried about losing my gains, losing my strength, my pants getting tighter, etc. etc. etc. BUT -- I am keeping my spirits up, and telling myself - "Hey, good result on the biopsies, just have to wait for the stitches to come out--- and then -- it's BACK TO THE GYM!"

Point is, life comes at you fast, and you have no guarantees that you will be healthy from day to day. Of course, all the 20- and 30- and even 40- somethings think "this will never happen" to them. Just wait. It's not the medical event or layoff that's the real determinant of character -- it's the getting back to the workout, and picking up from there!

You'll be back! Just work on getting better and know you'll be back!

Best,

Mdlftr
Thanks. Thank God your biopsies were all negative.

Please don't anyone think I'm whining about poor poor pitiful me. If that's the way it comes across, that's not how I mean it. I wanted to update the story. Some people and animals have it far worse than not being able to work out.

For example, my little girl ferret is dying of lung cancer; she didn't do anything to deserve that (it's extremely rare in ferrets, almost unheard of). Yet she's being a trooper. She tries to play, she eats (with the help of prednisone to increase her appetite) and cuddles with my boy ferret. She's fighting. That's why I got no cause to whine.

#33   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM

I feel your pain, buddy, having been there. Again, you have the rest of your life to build yourself up - I'm living proof - but it might not happen if you get impatient and exacerbate your injuries. Make the most of your time off from training by enjoying it while sticking to a sensible diet and not feeling guilty over something for which you have no control. You'll have plenty of time to work your ass off, test your limits and see what you're made of later.

- Dorothy Parker

- Eager Muscle

- Eager Muscle
  #34   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
Quote:
I haven't abandoned this thread because all is now hunky-dory. I haven't abandoned it at all. And it's far from hunky-dory. Ironic to use the word "hunky". All my plans and hopes to be on my way to being back in "fighting shape" to the extent I can, have been dashed and turned to shit. I had to see my surgeon again because the pain in my leg returned. It was so bad one morning I could not lean forward to flush the toilet. I had to wait until the pain dissipated.

The surgeon put me on a five day course of methylprednisolone (Medrol) though he thought this had to be a muscular, not nerve issue. He said if this did not work another MRI was in the cards. I was to report back to him. Ironically on the last day of the Medrol, I had the worst pain ever. Then it all subsided for a few weeks.

I waited, cautiously optimistic that the pain would not return. Well, it has. But it's so far limited to my ankle area. However, my low back is painful. When I get up from sitting, I get up hunched over and slowly stand upright. I also need to push myself up with my arms. The ride to and from work (31 miles and 50-55 mins.) kills me.

He ordered another MRI, which I had yesterday and referred me to his pain management associate. I'm seeing him on Tuesday and bringing my fresh MRI films. He might recommend another epidural, which I will not go for. They rarely work, and I already owe the hospital over $900 for the last two (my part of the insurance).

As to the working out, the surgeon told me in no uncertain terms that until this is resolved I am not to touch a weight, not even for my arms. I told him I'm turning into a blob of protoplasm. He said "flex your arm". I did and he said, "you got muscle!" I said no, I've lost 1.5" off my arms. Well, I can't even work my arms he said... nothing a'tall. Though I walk as much as I can, which is not much without my back starting to tense up.

So to that end, I returned the kettlebells to The Sports Authority and got $200 back.
Minotaur, Hang in there. I seriously messed up my low back and nerves to my left leg on my last deployment to the point that I was going to be medically discharged from the army. I went through a pretty serious depression while at the army hospital in Landstuhl Germany (fear of possible paralysis, fear of losing my job, anger and remorse for thinking I let my buddies still in Iraq down.) I was not allowed to lift anything for several months... not even my own backpack was allowed. I managed to get through the pain, through the issues, through the crappy army medical system, and through the depression. I am back to lifting and healed well enough that I was cleared for my second deployment (where I am currently). Once the docs clear you to lift again, it's going to suck not being able to lift as much as you used to... just don't let ego get in the way like I initially did and just mess up my back more... it set back my recovery by months. I agree the epiderals don't do a damn thing... I sadly have just learned to grin and bear most of the day to day pain. I still have one more surgery to go through once I return from Afghanistan and will be in the same boat as you all over again. Keep your chin up and know there are a bunch of us here thinking good thoughts and saying prayers for you.

Gabe
  #35   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

Seems like all too many of us have had back issues and not be able to do the things we want to or need to do.

No, I'm not going to rush anything, nor have I disobeyed the doctor, nor will I. It's not worth it. He said to not even use a doorway pullup bar, so I haven't done even that.

I'm going to have a special hook installed at the gym door that says "Frank's Ego Goes Here". I'll be happy to be able to push, pull or lift even girlie weights. But I'll paint the pink dumbells a manly color.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options