The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Buddy Checks

Hey,

So, I'm going to start training again August 1st 2011 @ 10AM. I was curious if there were about 3 or 4 people who would be willing to basically be my Health Buddies.

One way in which I fail is that I often get off track (yay ADD!). I'm hoping that by using a small group of people I to report to I might build a stronger sense of responsibility..... and therefore keep on the course of improved health and wellbeing (and building some goddamn muscle!)

Are there any guys here that are frequent users and would be willing make the effort the lightly hassle me (via email or facebook) to do my work outs, follow up with work out goals and weight and body goals, and eat appropriate foods etc and not skip out (or to cheer me get right back on the band wagon).

I figure if I can have a few guys do this for me I can be the Health Buddy for another guy and together we'll start making changes for the better.

If you're intersted, would you please either post here or send me a private message indicating you are? As I get some people that may be interersted I'll go through some of my basic plans and see if you're feeling comfortable with it and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Taylor :P

yahoo: storyen
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
I would like to think that I was fairly regular (certainly within the top 15 posters of all time) but would state that if I did "hassle" you it would be in a uniquely British manner.
  #3   Add to DragonKnight's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM

DragonKnight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DragonKnight
I'm down to help out. I keep fairly busy with school, but I can send out a message on here or fb every now and then
  #4   Add to latinherc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM

latinherc is on a distinguished road
Hey Taylor im willing to help too.

From what i read, you need to set up some goals

Determine if you wish to go powerlifting, bodybuilding or fitness. That will depend on what body type you wanna get. They all have different types of goals and training.

Once you have determined what branch you want then set you own goal to achieve in the long term ( long term= 1 year) and lets see what about the short terms.

Always remember that body changes only occur and will be permaanent after 33 days of training/diet/rest style you choose. Unfornately there is no "10 day shortcut" as we cannot spped up the hormonal cycle of the body. So thats why mini goals are towards keeping on track for those 33 days in a row.!

If you are clear with this plea elet us know hwere are you headed long, short goals. So we can start coaching you to success...
  #5   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Moving Forward

This is perfect you guys!!! I will send you guys a note tomorrow w/ a basic plan. Let me stress lack of money as being an inmportant item in shaping these work outs.

I kinda need cheerleaders and people that are willing to text or email to see that I'm following my written goals and plans. I very well may need help in organizing some exsercises but that won't be hard.

Thnak you SO much for your willingness to help!!!!

Taylor

#6   Add to AS2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:12 AM

AS2000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to AS2000
You know I'm in. :)
  #7   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Moving Forward

[COLOR=white]Hey everyone. OK, so first of all, THANKYOU so much for being my Iron Buddies. Also if anyone else wants to join in, they are welcome to![/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]I'm not sure where to begin...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]So, let?s start w/ a basic plan: I want to look good naked and shitless. I'm not going to worry about 4% body fat or a six pack or 21" arms. I want to see a nicely shaped and hard as a rock bicep when I flex. I want the sleeve of my shirt to stretch just a bit unflexed. I want my shirts to kinda indent in my pec cleavage, and I want my traps to be kinda visible through my shirt. I want my quads to be well shaped and I wanna see those tear drops.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]I'm aiming for realistic go[/COLOR][COLOR=white]als and a realistic look. If that can be achieved, I promise I'll re-evaluate. Not sure at that point if I'll decided to grow more or just enjoy the athletic look. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]As far as working out, I'm not sure if it should be daily or not, I kinda think it should be something daily or 6 days/week. Ideas? I do not have a gym membership and can't afford one. My apartment complex has a small gym I can and will use. I'll take pics of the equipment so you see what I have to work with. I also have two 25Ibs dumbbells to use here at the apartment as well as a bench. Again, not great (or heavy) gear, but this whole effort is a move to not only start working out, but get into a pattern that will continue.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Um, should I take before pics? I've lost some weight (just a bit) and I look, well, average :P [/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Workouts officially start 8/1/11 (I think I wrote that before right?) Anywho, I need to research exercises for the various muscle groups using dumbbells. Do I do something like three exercise per muscle group? How many sets would be typical for me starting off? How many reps per set?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]See? I have a lot to figure out. *sigh* [/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]So, please lemme know if you're still willing to offer your support by emailing me or text me or messaging me on facebook. I'll need you guys to tell me to keep it up and to ask if I worked out either that day or the day before etc. Also, if you are knowledgeable in creating workouts or the sort, please feel free to offer your knowledge!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Thank you very much again![/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]Taylor [/COLOR]
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]You can email me at: [/COLOR][COLOR=windowtext][COLOR=white][email protected][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]facebook: [/COLOR][COLOR=windowtext][COLOR=white]www.facebook.com/tgerovac[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]let?s start w/ one of those two :P[/COLOR]

#8   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by msllover View Post
Um, should I take before pics? I've lost some weight (just a bit) and I look, well, average
An absolute YES with as much information as you can manage. You might also want to consult information about how big a collection of bodybuilders your age got after their first year of training (and then use some maths to determine where you might be and use that as a base)
  #9   Add to latinherc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Hello again....! i think you should stop wondering and start putting your hands on the information you need about exercise etc...

I saw your pics and i would start by burning fat and getting cut.

This will require a diet and exercise. Regarding the exercise an aerobic exercise will be your most important during this phase. Do a brisk walk to maintain your heart rate up to 140 maximun. This willbe equal to a brisk walk and having a conversation with someone without making you run out of air.

That will be the range of fat burn and not muscle burn. Do this everyday for 40 minutes, preferably in the morning after breakfast.

I may recommend that yoou hit the gym 5 times a week, if you work, you can do this in the afternoon or you can do it after the cardio session in the morning.

Do start with and overall body routine of 1 to 2 exercises per muscle group to start toning your body. Do a 15 repetition set with light-moderate weight.

How to determine the weight, start light and if you see you do the 15 reps easily move weight up until you feel that rep 15 is sh.....ng !

Diet

Very simple eat healthy eat every 3 hours a small meal. here an example

breakfast
1 cup of oats and fruit
4 eggs white ommellet
coffee

(here is where you go training 1 hour after breakfast)

After workout
Whey protein shake

One hour later of this
1 Broiled or grilled chicken breast
4 spoons of white rice
1/2 cup spinach

2 hours later
1 medium size can of tuna
1 apple

2 hours later
A fruit salad

dinner
1 white fish filet
1 cup of broccolli
Homemade fruit juice

This is just an example
i may need more info like your weight to set you up, but having this info you can go to the market and set up your fridge for the upcoming week.

Whwn you make this part of your life you will be doing great, diet is not a torture is way of eating. Eating a Cheeseburger daily is a way of eating, eating clean and healthy is a way of eating too and is the one you want.

Stop drinking sodas and start diniking water, oh yes NO SODAS, no ICETEA, you can make you own limonade with splenda if you feel the need or just make you a fresh juice orange, melon no sugar etc...

you are allowed to skip diet on saturdays ! please dont make this day a binge. but if you go out with friends you can have your burger or your pizza. Try not to eat carbs after 6 pm.

Supplements can be ordered at bodybuilding.com or amazon the have great prices. I use ON Whey protein on chocolate supreme, that taste great and curbs somewhat your candy cravings.... also you will need to buy a multivitamin and vitamin C. Also Glutamine for after workout. If you can spend more i would by some fat burner such as ripped cuts or hydroxicut.

Is a lot of info but you can start building your program with this and have the routine and set the fridge ready for your start!!!!
  #10   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
hey. i'd like to help you out too and it'll probably help me out. I'm pretty much a beginner myself. Just reached the one month mark since I started a good workout routine, and I don't have access to a big gym either. I've done research here and there, and I've heard about what has worked on some and what hasn't worked, so I'd like to think I have a good handle on the do's and don'ts so I would enjoy staying connected with you and keeping you motivated. It will help keep me motivated as well. I see you have yahoo feel free to add me there. I do have a smartphone so that'll make it easier with checking in/harassing you to get to work heh.

and btw, latinherc's post is a GREAT place to start off from. that's essentially how I began and I've been seeing some nice results so far, so I recommend reading that post well to get the ball rolling.
  #11   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Moving Forward

Wow. Um, that's really awesome. Not planning on eating every two hours. You're talking to the guy who thinks things are hard and quits automatically (hence why I couldn't pick a degree in college nor a religion - everything worthwhile takes effort and gets hard eventually).

So, lets start MUCH softer. Can we? Please? For the sake of my sanity?

If I give in to the eat very two hours routine, do you have any idea how many times I'll faily daily on that task alone? And no supplements - can't afford them, probably will forget to take them anyway.

Oy.

However, your attitude is inspiring and wonderful. Lets start with workout out some excersizes for various body parts using free weights. I told AS I'd get pics of the gym today, but that didn't happen. I'll get them by this weekend for sure. Things are BUSY right now. Start slow.

Goal: to create and establish a habit of daily excersize.

How's that? If I can maintain that I promise to go further. If I can't maintain that, what the hell's the point?

Does that make any sense?

So again, AWESOME energy, lets make it realistic before I run away screaming. I hate weights and weight lifting. (Yeah, there's a whole 3 or 4 years worth of therapy wrapped in there somewhere).

Thoughts? (preferably supportive or gentle thoughts?)

Taylor

#12   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Sounds absolutely reasonable by what little knowledge I hold
  #13   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Moving Forward

Bless you. So, this week for sure: before pics and pics of the apt gym. If the equipment has more than one activity associated w/ it, I'll get pics of different angles.

So, a bit more hx of me: I have weak ligaments to the point that both knees have partially dislocated during my teens just because I squatted down AND twisted the knee. So I realise good form is a MUST esp for my legs.

I tend to be fairly strong for someone that hasn't worked out seriously since one semester of weight training in highschool some 10+ years ago.

Weights and weight lifters GREATLY intimidate me as do routines, work out plans, supplements, EVERYTHING associated w/ bodybuilding/weight training is highly intimidating as well as a turn on. (Awkward dating/flirting scenes are my life...)

I don't see myself as a bodybuilder nor do I see myself getting HUGE. I don't want the be the biggest guy, (but I DO want to date the biggest guy...)

I grew up Mormon, so that whole Mormon Guilt thing runs through me pretty strong. (Mix Catholic and Jewish guilt, add the whole I'm dissappointed in you factor and voila!)

So, yeah. This whole process is intimidating, scary, not fair, not fun, stressful and aggrivating - and I haven't even started. Does that help paint a picture at all?

OK, back to work. *sigh*

#14   Add to latinherc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Well i like the complexity of a challeging person.
Inside is the bodybuilder likealot wanting to emerge and in the outside is that you retaining and excusing exercising for one reason or the other.

Ths simple version is there is a time in the day that is only for you if you spended at the coach watching Tv us fine with me, if you decide to hit he weights and get a goal as you initially do, i think is better not only will work for your appearance but for your health.

The most important value of exercising is discipline.
If as you say can build discipline to work out daily ( may just a 40 min cardio) towards your goal is and advance.
Or is not why you work tpo get paid to pay for the things you want in life...
So its the same with exercising ( im geralizing as exercising will apply to any sport you like yo do with discipline) goals are needed to get you to some point and dont loose that objetive.

I may say Just analize what will be the time for yourself and used if you wish at the gym in this case. I may say do the opposite and radical, go to the gym with no phone, just your towel and the ipod and do exercise, while you there forget about the day or the war in iraq or how is obama going to fix the budget, or the neighbors wrong way to do curls just enjoy the hour you have workingout towards your goal.
  #15   Add to latinherc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM

BTW you may need to strech after each exercise to get stronger joints. and there are plenty excersices types that wont hit your back or legs so hard and still will build you up.

Lets see what you have in hand
  #16   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:14 PM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
Quote:
Originally Posted by msllover View Post
Wow. Um, that's really awesome. Not planning on eating every two hours. You're talking to the guy who thinks things are hard and quits automatically (hence why I couldn't pick a degree in college nor a religion - everything worthwhile takes effort and gets hard eventually).

So, lets start MUCH softer. Can we? Please? For the sake of my sanity?
excellent point and upon re-reading my other reply I should've elaborated more. at the point I am now I'm in that harsher routine, but I definitely took baby steps to get there. I started by just making myself do push ups after waking up. I began paying attention to what I ate, but I didn't set up a strict diet. I mainly just took note of what habits I had and made mental notes that I should cut this out more and I should eat more of that.

After a few weeks I began walking/jogging daily to get my body used to being exercised daily. I happen to have some dumbells so I also started doing some light exercises with them. bicep curls, shoulder shrugs, etc. nothing major.

After a couple weeks of that I began doing light, but full, workouts using my uncle's home gym next door. I kept the weight light enough for me to do around 15-20 reps each set.

After adjusting to this change, i started the supplement regime. I know you mentioned you can't afford supplements, and I definitely relate to that. It's gonna be rough for me for awhile when it comes to that. After a couple days of supplements I stepped the workout up. each exercise now I do 4 sets with the weight increasing and reps decreasing with each set. You won't have supplements but I do recommend this style of workout if you're looking for some growth.

The next step I took was the diet. I'm still molding it but for me I'm basically getting it to where chicken, fish, fruits, and vegetables are my four best friends, and whole grains and sensible dairy products are real good acquaintances. Certain things I've cut out completely (bad carbs, junk food, soda). I drink lots of water now. I just focus on all the good eating this way will do and that seems to make it easier for me. plus, getting enough protein and eating plenty of fish can be as good as supplements which accomplish the same.

So that's where I'm at at this stage. I've enjoyed the progress so far, and I too am someone who can get overwhelmed by working out and eating right, so if that's a concern, I definitely recommend doing baby steps like I did. Doesn't have to be the same way, but just pick one thing out to incorporate into daily life. Wait until you're fully comfortable and it feels natural, then add something else in. before you know it, you'll have everything in place. Hope this helps. August 1 is almost here!
  #17   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Moving Forward

Warning: Warning: Warning: Warning: Warning: Warning:
  1. I'm not buff, this is all my "before" stuff.
  2. If you don't want to become blinded by an ultra white boy, don't look at the pics... freakin near albino ancestry here.
LatinHerc, I sinceraly wish I had your UMPHF! and motivation. You are fuckin' awesome buddy, if I ever do actually get big, ur the first guy I'm coming after for a flex off.

Dodoria, I greatly appreciate your understand and sensitivity. I have a LONG way to go - your basic and gentle encouragement really works wonders for me.

AS, so sorry bud. You've been bugging me almost daily to get this shit moving. Finally I have something. Bless you.

OK, so I *finally* took some god damn pictures of what I have to work out with. Please fill me in on possible uses utilizing what I got, and what I'm lacking...

Few things to remember:
  • Working out makes me uncomfortable (even alone, even at 3AM), so I need to keep it simple and as "stress free" as possible. Its a weird phobia, but someone in the world has to have it.
  • I'll need help figuring out what muscle groups are missing from the exercise equipment I've shown you. I appear to have equipment for: biceps, pecs (incomplete?), quads, hamms, lats, and abs. It looks like I'll need to supplement for triceps (use dumbbells?), delts (use dumbbells?), traps (use bicep bar?), forearms (use dumbbells?), calf (use leg press?),
  • I'm not on my way to become the biggest mofo bodybuilder, I want to gain muscle and look good shirtless/naked - lets keep it realistic (if I do great and gain awesome good size and really enjoy it, I PROMISE to work my ass off to become this site's Alpha Male. In the mean time, baby steps...)
  • Although I have a general idea of what to do, there's a LOT I don't know, feel free to pitch in w/ advice and/or suggestions noting the other bullet points here (and a general lack of funds).
  • I am looking for sustained emotional encouragement and guys who are willing to asked either daily or a few times/week "Hey, how was your work out? What are you doing in your workouts. etc"
So, pics....

Workout Bench & 15Ibs dumbbells:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcirish...n/photostream/

Sit up bench?

Leg (and calf?) press:

Ham Curls & Quad Extensions:

Lat Pull down:

Easy Grip Bicep Curl Bar:

Bench Press w/ two grips:

My Left Calf Flex:

My Right Calf Flex:

Me Fat:

Big Middle, Tiny Arms:

The American Average circa 2011:

The Bearded Bear:

OK, so there we go. That should be enough fodder for the moment. *sigh* So, um, how do I begin again?

Taylor

#18   Add to DragonKnight's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:47 AM

DragonKnight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DragonKnight
Hmm, photos are listed as private for the most part. Also, get any good workouts in?
  #19   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Moving Forward

Oh crap, lemme see what I can do about the pvt ones. As far as working out? Not really. I haven't slept the past two nights (and have therefore been up for about 60 hours...)

I will work out. Don't give up on me, I'm just a slow starter.

#20   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Moving Forward

Okie Dokie, I just figured out how to "grant" permission. Hopefully that works. No promises.

So I was reading another guy's comment about how he enjoyed getting worshipped for the first time and I have to say, I was rather hard. It made me really wonder if perhaps what I want deep deep down is to become an Alpha male.

Oddly, my normal desire to bottom 100% of the time has greatly decreased and my desire to fuck the hell outta buff guys has increased hugely.

Does any of that make sense?

No? Yes? Not really?

Oh well. :P

#21   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Simple two word answer to those pics

"Don't pout!"

I know that you are not happy with the way you look at the moment, but try and have a cheery expression on your face. Please remember that most people look at your face first of all, and then worry about what's underneath. So come on, how about a smile eh?
  #22   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Moving Forward

Awww , I'd give you a big hug if I was there. Thanks for the good and gentle reminder Celtic. :P

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options