The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #121   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Absolutely right!

The mirror is way more important than the scale or tape-measure!In spite of having done this for years;I'm always reluctant to drop weight because"I'm not big enough,I'm not big enough,I'm not big enough!"Then,when my back is against the wall(a contest)I drop the weight(ok,the shirts get tighter,too)&it's"Omigod!You're so BIG!"Think maybe I just hate dieting?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #122   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Yup, the guys are right. Don't get too wound up and stressed out over the numbers.

On a little different subject, I wish guys would put some basic stats into their
public profile. Height, weight, and maybe a chest, arm and leg measurement.
While it kind of nice to hear about "muscle growth experiences", it seems like only half of the story is being told. Even if you forget to put it in the thread, at least some basic info is in the public profile for us to click on (or if we forget how tall you are for example)
Sometimes the best encouragement comes from those that have made good improvements (if you can relate to their story)
  #123   Add to newmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM

newmus is on a distinguished road
O.K., O.K. I GET THE PICTURE!
http://www.musclegrowth.org/forum/member.php?u=6115
  #124   Add to Chi-town's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Chi-town is on a distinguished road
My partner and I went to the Grand Canyon last week and were scheduled to take a mule ride into the canyon for the day. Among their criteria for participants was the stipulation "200 lbs or less." Well, I warned my partner that I've been flirting with 200 for the past few months and might not make it.

So we show up the night before the ride and we each get on the scale. I weigh in at 205. They say come again in the morning, don't eat anything before weighing in again, etc. We figure they'll begrudge me a couple of pounds, right? The next morning (a chilly 6:00am; ugh!) I go back in t-shirt, work-out shorts, and gym sneakers. Nothing extraneous. 203 lbs. Sorry, can't go.

After changing into real clothes we go back to the desk to see about other tours, activities, whatever.
Us: "Hi, we're back"
Male guide: "Hey. Sorry 'bout that but we've got to stick to the rules."
Us: "Eh, that's OK." (...but not really)
Male guide: "I mean, it's not a fitness thing, 'cuz you're definitely..."
and he makes that gesture to me...how to describe it...where you hunch your shoulders, spread your lats, and draw your arms up your side with fists clenched.*

Later on, it hit me: wow, I'm really over 200 pounds! For the first time in my life, and I used to be, as my partner once said, "butt-ass skinny"! Granted I will want to lose about 10-15 of that around the waist, but I'll gladly take it for now if it means I'm massing up elsewhere. And for the next few nights, I had The. Most. Erotic. Dreams. I dunno, that experience set off something really powerful in me. To the point where I was shooting a couple of loads a day with and without my partner; not bad for 40! It was a nice validation and makes me want to keep on getting bigger!

Oh, and if you've thought about going to the Canyon -- GO! It's simply stunning.

* (Kinda like the "wow, check out her big melons" gesture, but with fists instead of grabby hands.)
  #125   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:39 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Congat's on the 200 lbs. mark, but it's too bad about the weight limit. What did you guys do instead? I know very few people under 200 lbs...
  #126   Add to Chi-town's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Chi-town is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Congat's on the 200 lbs. mark, but it's too bad about the weight limit. What did you guys do instead? I know very few people under 200 lbs...
Thanks, brent!
We took the shuttle bus to various points along the west rim; the crowds weren't bad at all. Got to watch a storm roll in from the west, with lightning strikes and everything. Pretty cool. We had already had a beautiful sunset on the east rim the evening before. So in the end it kind of worked out -- we probably would have been caught in the rain on the return ride had we gone out.
  #127   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
I was actually able to take the mule ride to the floor of the canyon several years ago in my pre-200 lbs days. It was a fun trip, but would I trade the hard earned muscle for another chance to take the trip again? No way!

If you really want to go to the bottom of the Grand Canyon remember there is always the hiking option - and what a killer leg/cardio workout when you climb back up!

Congrats on reaching your goal weight - I'm sure that the best is yet to come for your physique.
  #128   Add to joel24242's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM

joel24242
Send a message via MSN to joel24242 Send a message via Yahoo to joel24242
Noticable Development

In March i joined my uni gym and in April signed on for a personal trainer starter pack they were offereing to get me going on a new workout routine. Was a good routine and i have worked hard at the gym most weeks with about a month period were i didnt make it in a little while ago. Anyway as of about three weeks ago ive been getting in there again and thought it was about time to get a new routine and maybe push myself a little harder. So I have purchased 10 30 minute PT sessions. The first one comes free and is just an evaluation where they take measurements, get the calipers out etc. Anyway i'm going with the same guy i did at the start of the year and when he got to measuring my biceps he commented on how there was a visible improvement and he was very impressed. Definately a ncie way to start the day and get you motivated to work even harder.

JD
  #129   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Great story of hard work and progress Joel... I've only had two sessions of a PT in my life but I can definitely see how a good PT is worth his weight in gold... or perhaps his bench press in silver.

I know if I was single and moderately wealthy I'd be on the regular personal-trainer track as well.... awesome.
  #130   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM

traveller
being "felt up" at the airport screening

A few days ago I went through a secondary security check for a flight from Frankfurt to the U.S. This more intrusive procedure involves a security agent scanning your body with a handheld metal detector, and patting down your body for any concealed items. The male security agent who searched me obviously enjoyed the experience more than I did. When I stood facing him with my arms and legs spread out, he reached out and squeezed my left arm twice and then looked over to his female colleague with a big smile on his face. I cannot remember what he said to her exactly, but it made me laugh. He then proceeded to pat me down during which I could swear that he added a few more pats than necessary to check my butt for "weapons". Too bad I didn't think he was cute. I actually didn't mind the experience because at the time I was more interested in getting to the gate agent as soon as possible to switch my assigned seat.

I thought my body search went smoothly compared to other guys I watched who had to unbuckle their belts with metal buckles, and then fold down the top of the their pants to reveal anything concealed. I wore sweat pants and a t-shirt when I went through security, so I was spared going through that part of the ritual.

Traveller
  #131   Add to James35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM

James35
comment at work

Hey a guy I casually know at work is tall and fit (he's into some type of martial arts) but he's not very big. He noticed my gym bag on the floor next to my desk and we talked briefly about working out and me as a bodybuilder. He made a quick remark that I enjoyed though when he said that my arms were as big as his legs.
I've made good progress over the years in adding some size, but now the rate of gain is slower, so getting these kind of comments always inspires me to keep working hard.
By the way, I finally had a chance to take a couple of pics the other day so I updated my avatar with a new pic.
  #132   Add to nightwolf285's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

nightwolf285 is on a distinguished road
dude. your arms are as big as my legs! lol

that is some awesome work you have done. don't give up, your pic looks great. keep it up man!
  #133   Add to Digibacker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Recently called 'immense'

Digibacker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Digibacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
...so I updated my avatar with a new pic.
And it looks great. You've done well!
  #134   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM

wolfman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman
last month i had my first experience with noticing my muscle growth. my cousin saw me in t-shirt that is a little bit tighter and she grabed me for my arm and said "wow now you have biceps". and friend of my mother aksed me if i have been worked out because i am much bigger in shoulders and arms.
i was always skiny and since i worked out for the last 6 months and i gained about 5 kg (10 pounds) of muscles, mostly in upper body, it is major ego boost for me and motiv for further workouts.
this is my favorite topic in this forum so please share your experiences.
PEACE!
  #135   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:35 AM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
i worked out for the last 6 months and i gained about 5 kg (10 pounds) of muscles, mostly in upper body, it is major ego boost for me and motiv for further workouts.
Keep up the good work and hope to see pics of you in the Watch Me Grow section one of these days. (Hint, hint. )
  #136   Add to bobtimbob's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM

bobtimbob is on a distinguished road
I got a "Have you been working out?" from my mom over the holidays. From anybody else it's a tremendous ego boost. From my mother it was simply mortifying.
  #137   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtimbob
I got a "Have you been working out?" from my mom over the holidays. From anybody else it's a tremendous ego boost. From my mother it was simply mortifying.
But on the plus side if Mom is noticing everyone else is (or soon will be) noticing, too!
  #138   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
But on the plus side if Mom is noticing everyone else is (or soon will be) noticing, too!
When I first started lifting and making some gains. The first people to comment were my familiy members. My sister was constantly asking me to flex my arms and mom would say "those things are getting pretty big" pointing to my traps. I'm not a muscle & fitness model by any means. But I don't think I'm bad for a 41 y/o at 6'2" 240#.
  #139   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierlifter
...I'm not a muscle & fitness model by any means. But I don't think I'm bad for a 41 y/o at 6'2" 240#.
Ha! Judging from the stats in your profile your not only "not bad" - you're great! Keep at it man.
  #140   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
It is always such a confidence boost when someone, even Mom, notices a change. I had a similar experience this holiday with a friend of my sister's. I had walked in and one of her best friends came up to give me a hug, she squeezed and smiled. A few minutes later i was removing my jacket and she commented, "wow, I could tell you were working out but I did'nt expect to see all the muscles" Definately put a grin on my face.
  #141   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
My parents have actually been my biggest "cheerleaders" when it comes to my workout efforts. A compliment is a compliment, I say.

I'm on a lifting "hiatus" these days (with work and school demands I haven't been able to muster up any kind of consistency with my lifting and diet as of late, so I'm taking an extended break and hoping to just maintain for the time being) but hopefully once I get back into a routine I'll get to hear more such compliments.
  #142   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyrhino2001
My parents have actually been my biggest "cheerleaders" when it comes to my workout efforts.
My situation's the opposite. My mom says I'm already "too big", and my dad's been somewhat ambivalent about the whole thing. At least in this regard, I've learned to ignore the naysayers and keep on growing. Would be funny if they were using reverse psychology on me 'coz it's totally working. Haha...
  #143   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
I love my family, because they totally support me. My nieces and nephews even work out with me when they come down to visit.
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #144   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelissokomos
My mom says I'm already "too big", and my dad's been somewhat ambivalent about the whole thing.
Well, I'm not trying to "get big" so that won't be a concern for me... I think my parents are just glad that I no longer look like I could slip through cracks in the pavement.
  #145   Add to blackbird's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM

blackbird is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to blackbird
Been secretly working out for 8 mnths. Gained 25 lean lbs so far, 12 of which have been over the last 5 weeks alone on Anthony Ellis's program. Basically noone at work knows I've been doing this. So Fri I dressed casual, in short sleeves. One of my coworkers came over and asked if I'd been workin out. Said I looked bigger. I shrugged and said I must be getting fat, but grinned to myself as he walked away. Little comments like that really help with motivation, especially since its hard to see the results in the mirror day by day.
  #146   Add to harleyxr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
harleyxr

harleyxr is on a distinguished road
This is a really cool thread. I was about 125# all the way through High School. I think all of us who were in that boat got a lotta really cool feedback when we started to get big. It took me a LONG time to intenalize that I was really starting to look good. Young kid with a really good build came up to me in the gym the other day and respectfully asked how long it took me. He said "I wanna look exactly like you one day, that's my goal." It was the coolest thing I've ever heard.
  #147   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
That is AWESOME

That is awesome Harley. Always a good thing when others notice your accomplishments.
Dave
  #148   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:09 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
Hey a guy I casually know at work is tall and fit (he's into some type of martial arts) but he's not very big. He noticed my gym bag on the floor next to my desk and we talked briefly about working out and me as a bodybuilder. He made a quick remark that I enjoyed though when he said that my arms were as big as his legs.
I've made good progress over the years in adding some size, but now the rate of gain is slower, so getting these kind of comments always inspires me to keep working hard.
By the way, I finally had a chance to take a couple of pics the other day so I updated my avatar with a new pic.
Great avatar pic, James. And those arms are HUGE!

Ron III---III
  #149   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Had one of my first complete stranger "can you flex for us" situations. Was in a gay club in Brighton, went to the bathroom and in there were three really thin guys (we're talking like twigs...) anyhow they were attempting to compare biceps which were effectively non existent. I came out of the stalls to wash my hands and they just said "hey now that guy has muscles"....anyhow they asked me to flex my arms...which I did and they were just gasping...My arms are reasonable (about 17 or so) but u forget how much bigger that is than a skinny guy's undeveloped arms. They were feeling them and going "wow they're so hard" which to me was funny as I'm not that sharply defined...more the beefy shape. Anyhow the next thing they say is "have u got a hairy chest?"... which I have...Anyhow I lifted my shirt to show them and then said "Do you want me to take the shirt off...?" One just shrieked....anyhow I continued pulling it up and off did a few poses and did a few mock punches against my pecs...and they were just slack jawed...anyhow I put the shirt back on and they were still going "oh my god that's amazing". I probably weigh 2x times what they did.

Anyhow I walked out of the Bathroom feeling about 6in taller. Given that I've been feeling a bit carp from having an intermittent shoulder injury that has put me in a long term maintenance thing on training, it was great to be admired and for people to really enjoy seeing my body as it is. There's definitely a buzz from being seen as a muscle guy and being asked to flex....and flexing feels good when u know people are looking and when u know they're going to be a bit shocked...even by those of us not pro sized. Lord knows how they'd react to a really big guy.

Puts all our training and diet in perspective when u realise we do have something that others notice and they don't have themselves....
  #150   Add to kaiwen1982's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:51 AM

kaiwen1982 is on a distinguished road
I have a lot of people asking if I am a rugby player... never played a game in my life...

Just this morning, a friend of a friend told me that I am "quite buff" and asked if I work out. Like most accounts here I ended up blushing and mumbling something about gymming in the morning.

I agree with you all, it really is a motivation booster when others see changes which are too slow for us to notice.
  #151   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM

wolfman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman
Few days ago I met with some friend (who is pretty buff and works out every day) that I didn't see since last september. I wore some t-shirt that showed off my biceps and shoulders pretty great (I worked out a lot on them in the past months) and I noticed that he was staring at my muscles. I was little embarrassed but at the same time I loved the attention since I was always very skinny! After that I wanna work out even more.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options