The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Malack101's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM

Malack101 is on a distinguished road
Improving Leg Size

Could use some help with leg exercises. My legs are pretty strong but never seem to gain thickness, specifically in the quads.

Can anyone suggest some leg routines?

I've gone heavy on leg press, medium on hack squats (have to watch out for my right knee on that one), varying degrees of leg extensions (heavy, negatives, light weight and fast, etc.) to keep things changing & lunges with weight.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malack101 View Post
Could use some help with leg exercises. My legs are pretty strong but never seem to gain thickness, specifically in the quads.

I've gone heavy on leg press, medium on hack squats (have to watch out for my right knee on that one), varying degrees of leg extensions (heavy, negatives, light weight and fast, etc.) to keep things changing & lunges with weight.
Regular squats, with impeccable form are the best overall leg and overall body exercise. NO SUBSTITUTES
  #3   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Working legs can be different for some folks...legs are designed for lots of repititious movement, not necessarily or always short, powerful bursts, i.e., walking, running, etc, without resistance. I read somewhere a long time ago in a fitness book or magazine that one way to shake up legs was to bump up the reps and don't go as heavy...it clicked with me and turned out to be the best kind of regular routine for building my legs with NO INJURIES. Any exercise I do for legs now, I do 20-rep sets. That doesn't feed the ego of squatting MASSIVE amounts of weights but when you add up all the pounds I push in one workout, I'm surpassing a lot of my gym buddies that do low reps and HEAVY weights...I've got some big thighs and I can still workout and WALK at my age .
  #4   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malack101 View Post

Once you've reached good strength, bodybuilding is not about moving weight, but training the muscle, flexing the muscle against resistance. Concentrate on the muscle you're training (quads), make them do all the work on the leg press, for example (by thinking of straightening your legs with the quads, instead of pushing with the quads, glutes, hams..). Also, work on training density (meaning more work in a given time).
  #5   Add to Djones's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Djones is on a distinguished road
Getting yourself upside down for at least half an hour really helps in gaining leg muscles along with exercises.
  #6   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:37 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
Getting yourself upside down for at least half an hour really helps in gaining leg muscles along with exercises.
Please explain why and how this would work---I am very skeptical of the pronouncement of being upside down does anything for leg development. Sounds like bad science to me.
  #7   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:33 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
I sincerely hope Djones answers this, because I am soooooo on the fence about him being just another spambot, given the commercial link in his signature, the lack of any personal data in his profile, and the four one-sentence posts that make up his only participation in the site since he joined.

I'd love to be proven wrong about that, and please don't take offense if you are in fact a Real Live MGS Fan, Djones. Just prove it to us by offering up more than a single sentence explanation, in response to inflated's very reasonable question!
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Other than weights, sprinting and running up hills are good ways to get your cardio in in a way that's leg-friendly...that's why sprinters (nor runners) and (ahem) rugby players have such big legs: short, intense sprints.
  #9   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:16 AM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
Improving Leg Size

Squats and leg presses are the best. Be sure to follow proper technique and try doing low reps/sets with heavy weights. This works for me.
  #10   Add to built4superspd's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
ever bigger ever stronger

built4superspd
Send a message via Yahoo to built4superspd
legs...

as many have said:

attention to form.

do squats and deadlifts.
and
do some single leg movements as well as these tandem movements
(ie--forward lunges and reverse lunges with dumbells, bulgarian squats, etc., to recruit stabilizing mm.)
and don't be afraid of including some partial range-of-motion sets to train whatever part of the range of motion is your weakest link (ie, if it's the final phase of deadlifts that limits you, then put the bar on a rack so that it's already halfway up and do several sets starting from that point. this also has the potential to reduce unintended reliance on momentum -- eg, if you do sets of standard deadlifts you may be getting the "bounce" of the weights as they hit the floor to do the work in the first several inches of the next rep).

and remember that if you include some sets with just 1-2 reps at 90+% of your 1RepMax you can address some of the largest neuro-muscular units (these Only get fully recruited at or near max. effort; at lower weight you will be recruiting smaller neuro-muscular units; nothing wrong with that but if that's all you do then those will be the only neuro-muscular units you are hitting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options