The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #81   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkmuscle
He can even time-shift... go figure...
Just call me TiVO

Scott
  #82   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
Loopy - I second everyone else's comments as well - I think you're too hard on yourself.
Thanks for the encouragement EJ!

Scott - great progress! Now if *I* had a hand bruise, that would be all the excuse I need to not work out, LOL. And then I wonder why I'm not making much progress... On the bright side, the MBA class I am taking this summer is over in one week, so I should have more time to get my butt into the gym.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #83   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:19 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Bone bruises...

...are easier to get than we'd like.Grips help.Learn to use a"thumbs-under"grip.(thumbs on same side of bar on PUSHING MOVEMENTS only)Start on lighter sets.It will eventually feel natural&STRONGER!
  #84   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:22 PM

glammaman2000
oops,can't edit...

"thumbs on same side of bar AS FINGERS on pushing movements only"
  #85   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:33 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyrhino2001
Scott - great progress! Now if *I* had a hand bruise, that would be all the excuse I need to not work out, LOL. And then I wonder why I'm not making much progress... On the bright side, the MBA class I am taking this summer is over in one week, so I should have more time to get my butt into the gym.
Don't feel too bad Loopy, I've had very little time for the gym myself lately. The important thing is to go when you can. Scott is very lucky to have the time.

BTW, I agree: great progress Scott!
  #86   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:53 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
I 3rd (terchiary) that notion.... I've only worked-out twice this week and it's Thursday!! I have no good excuses except lack of sleep Monday night and overall laziness.

Those with *true* dedication - like Scott (and many others on this board) - have earned or are earning the bodies that they deserve. You and I will get there eventually, but it will certainly take longer.

Thanks again Scott for continuing to share with us... I never tire of your well-grounded posts and informative entries.
  #87   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM

glam> Thanks for the insight, I'll keep it in mind. Most of the time my thumb is on the same side as my fingers. It just feels better that way for me somehow. There are some occasions when they naturally are on the opposing side (like curls) but for chest presses and such they are either on the same side as my fingers or on the bar perpendicular.

Brent and EJ> Thanks again for the comps. You guys are too much! I have been lucky to have a schedule that allows me to hit the gym as much as I do. EJ, your statement of "I never tire of your well-grounded posts and informative entries" sounds like a sound byte for CNN "The most trusted news source" hehe... Not that I mind... You should see me on days that I get a little nutty.. you wouldn't think I was so grounded then

And now for today's workout! The real 7/7 workout

[color=#ff0000]7/7/05 Workout

[/color]Chest/Lats day 12:30-1:45PM

Incline Hammer Bench Press:
90x15
180x12
270x10
345x8

Wide Hammer Chest Press:
180x12
270x10
380x10

Pec Dec:
190x10
295x10

Assisted Pulldowns (est since it's based on my BW-Assisted poundages):
200x10
218x10
236x8
254x7

Seated Rope Pull:
120x10
170x10
200x9

Shoulder Shrugs(machine):
140x10
200x10
250x10

I didn't get in the narrow pulldowns today. I had several business calls before heading off to the gym, which made me late to my workout. Then I had other things to take care of this afternoon, so I had to cut the workout a tad short. I had planned on throwing in two exercises from Friday just to keep on track, but that plan fell through as well.

No workout for tomorrow since I'll be heading to ATL for the NPC GA BB comp. Hopefully my business partner will do well even though he's got several injuries that are hurting his form. He's in good condition otherwise (there are veins running all over his abs for one - the showoff )

Anyways, I might have Internet while up there through Sunday, may not. So if I don't reply to threads/PMs just know I'm watching some built guys on a stage somewhere in the ATL, GA area

Scott
  #88   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:26 PM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Hi Scott! Yep, I agree entirly with Brent and EJ, your making excellent progress! I do read your posts all the time. Your posts are always well written and informative. And clearly you are very dedicated to getting huge! So keep up the great progress and DO tell us all the details about how your mate got on, what the crowd was like, any comments and complements you receive... We are all interested to hear... Better still, take some photos and post them here when you get back

Take care mate

Keep growing!

Marc

.:: Website:www.marcomus.com | Email: [email protected] ::.
.:: Pics & Movie clip Media | BB Progress Thread ::.
  #89   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_ukmus
Better still, take some photos and post them here when you get back
Ya know... I thought about that... but I have this nagging feeling that, ya know.. it wouldn't be appropriate to do so (at least not the people in the audience). I don't see any real problem with shooting pics of the guys on stage (though I am in row R... and that's suppose to be VIP seating ) The thing is, the really BIG guys will most likely be the ones in the audience watching and I know those are the guys everyone wants to really see

I might be daring enough to take some shots... it all depends on how much of a backbone I grow before Sat..hehe.. My camera is fairly small... and I doubt anyone will really notice it if I wear a gray shirt..hmmm this might work after all.

As a side note, I may be walking into a danger zone while in ATL. A lady that works out with my friend stated that she wanted to "hook me up" with her daughter that's flying in to ATL the day before the comp. She said she'd probably come to the comp with her to have her meet him and me. What's scary is that she has two daughters and she said either or would be a good choice for me You know you're in danger when the mother wants to set you up with EITHER daughter... Heaven save us all!

Scott
  #90   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Scott, I think you could have a fabulous time in Atlanta with both daughters. After the compettion, you can all go for lunch, shopping, and maybe get your hair done. Then some clubbing at night. I just wish I could go too, then we'd have "dates" for both daughters.
  #91   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Scott, I think you could have a fabulous time in Atlanta with both daughters. After the compettion, you can all go for lunch, shopping, and maybe get your hair done. Then some clubbing at night. I just wish I could go too, then we'd have "dates" for both daughters.
Actually the competition is at night (7:35PM till....) After that I think I'm gonna be pretty beat from all of the snapshots I'll be taking..hehe.. Granted, I'll be staying the night in ATL, but I plan to leave fairly early Sunday morning and try to beat our friend Dennis the Menis Storm coming up from FL that day.

Though I DO need a haircut as hulkmuscle and others will attest to!

Scott
  #92   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:36 AM

ethernet_jock
so... does she not realize that you're gay?

#93   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Who said I didn't like girls Obviously the larger population is gay on this board... but the door sometimes swings both ways

Heck, I had the longest crush on a girl in College, and for a while we were good friends, but nothing ever came of it... oddly, every time I mentioned her name to friends in college, within 24 hours she'd pop up and we'd chat for a second of two even if I hadn't seen her in weeks or months! I guess what they say with "words have power" is true

Scott
  #94   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM

glammaman2000
Science News..

recent studies have shown that the gale-force winds originally attributed to hurricane Dennis were actually caused by"SWINGING DOORS"!Details at 11.
  #95   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 9th, 2005, 12:21 AM

Maybe I shouldn't assume things... Many of my best friends in the past have "swung both ways".
  #96   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:23 AM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Who said I didn't like girls Obviously the larger population is gay on this board... but the door sometimes swings both ways

Heck, I had the longest crush on a girl in College, and for a while we were good friends, but nothing ever came of it... oddly, every time I mentioned her name to friends in college, within 24 hours she'd pop up and we'd chat for a second of two even if I hadn't seen her in weeks or months! I guess what they say with "words have power" is true

Scott
My deepest apologies Scott... I had NO idea that your door swung as many ways as mine does...
  #97   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:35 AM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
I had NO idea that your door swung as many ways as mine does...
Lot of it about

Oh and Scott, obviously your mates had the competition, so, erm what happened?

Marc

.:: Website:www.marcomus.com | Email: [email protected] ::.
.:: Pics & Movie clip Media | BB Progress Thread ::.
  #98   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Marco> Well the competition is over... what a mess. My friend did place 1st in the LW for the Masters 50+ (but he was the only competator). Here's the big gripe I have. He was entered in the Open BW class and apparently the judges didn't know he was! Even though he was listed on the program as being in both the Masters and Open, the judges apparently never bothered to consider him for the BW Open catagory. In fact, he just found out Sunday after the event. The guy that organizes it called him and told him about the big mess up. Even though my friend new he was suppose to be out on stage when they called for the BW Open contestants, the crew didn't allow him to go on stage. So here I'm sitting now wondering how screwy an event like this could be.

Ya know, this was my first show, but I expect an event that's been going on for over 15 years to be run a bit more professionally. For example:: There were people walking on stage behind contestants as they were doing their routines. People were walking on and off the stage during the entire event. Contestants were clueless on where to stand during the entire event. Add on top the incident mentioned above and you really have to wonder. I'm not even including the fact that during the entire event I had people on my row and the row in front of me walking in and out. I don't know about you, but when I come to watch something, I generally want to be able to see it! If anyone has ever been to a play/concert then you'll know that they will sometimes lock the doors while the play/music is going on out of respect for the performers/audience. I wish they had done something similar, or at least required people to stand in the back until there was a break between weightclasses/groups.

Ok, so I did see some impressive guys. That in itself was worth the price of admission, but I just wish it would have been a more professional event.

And now for something more plesent!

[color=#ff0000]7/11/05 Workout

[/color]Shoulders and Arms 12:05 - 2:00PM

Upright rows:
70x10
120x9
140x7
140x6

Front Shoulder Press:
140x10
160x9
180x6

Reverse Pec Dec (to hit delts):
160x10
260x9

Machine Side Raises:
120x10
180x10

Barbell Curls:
50x9
70x8
85x4

Hammer Curls:
45x10
50x8
55x8

Overhead Tri Extension:
150x10
200x10
250x10
300x10

Tri Pushdown:
110x10
150x15
175x15

SARGPS:
90x10
110x8
120x7

Didn't hit abs today... ran out of time.. that's what I get for having to report about this weekend's event to everyone in the gym! hehe... I think the extra break for the abs will do them good since I've been hitting them fairly hard for the past few weeks...

Back to this week's event. I was kinda surprised that I didn't see more "BIG" guys there... I'd say there was 3 decently big guys there. (One even had a med. sized cooler there... I guess he needed constant nutrition). The other two were modestly big... it was hard to guage since they also were somewhat short (read 5'5-6). Now there was one competator who was in the teens (19 yrs old) that was HUGE. He was bigger than guys that were in the Open, weighing in at 244. I think if he had lost another 10 or so pounds he could have won, but he wasn't in the right condition and lost to another teen who was about 20 pounds lighter. He also competed in the open, but he didn't fare to well their either. I wish I had a good pic of him though... he was MASSIVE for 19. Even the announcer called him a monster

Anywho, the pics I took were terrible. That's what happens when you use a 3MP camera to shoot pics in the dark. I guess I could have invested in a nice Canon Digital Rebel, but I didn't have time I think I had 2 good shots and that's it... but none of those big guys mentioned above.

Scott
  #99   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
Sorry to hear about your experience with the jerks both onstage and in the audience. As an actor and avid theatre goer it irks me to no end.

I've also been an usher, in the Front of house department at several theatres.
And I don't understand why people nowadays have no respect for those around them, and the performers.
A lot of it has to do with our ADD inspired society. If it ain't done in a few minutes, our attention span moves on.

That being said, the judges should have asked the asses walking behind the competitors to STOP. If I were one of the competitors I would have stopped my routine and explained I was going to wait until the person was done walking behind me. There's nothing like putting the spotlight on someone to get them to stop.

Of course I would have stood there, with my massive arms folded, and my huge legs tapping impaitently and glared at the jerk too...

Hey if you can't visualise yourself being big, you don't deserve to work out.

Glad to hear tho you enjoyed it despite the idiots....
  #100   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Well my experience of shows here in the UK is that often they do appear to be nearer to some School amateur dramatics show than a proper event. Often there seems to be alot of people walking up onto the stage to get back stage (surely there is a way around without walking onto the stage and into the wings) and alot of chit chatting going on between the compere, the judges and someone backstage. Also there is always some person who goes AWOL for no reason eg someone to hand out trophies or a significant competitor who disappears without anyone knowing. Quite how that happens with nobody noticing I do not know.
  #101   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:59 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Sounds like they need a choreographer to deal with the transitions and such. See, it all comes back to theatre. ;-)
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #102   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

glammaman2000
You've got to live with it...

Having both worked in the theater&been in bodybuilding contests.,I can tell you;it's always been like this&it always will be.It LOOKS like a show(lights&music&a stage.)But it's NOT!No rehearsal.A pre-judging early(which is exhausting)&then YOU'RE ON!If they get your music right,you're OK.The pro shows aren't much better.Most of the backstage staff is volunteers.Even if they're not clueless;communicaton is a problem.If you think of it as a sexy 4H exhibit(this year's beef!)you can get past the cheese.
  #103   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM

I agree that you can only expect so much.... but like I said... it's been going on for a long, long time. Usually once you've done something so many times, it starts to move like a well oiled machine. I can understand the music mixups (which there were several... you knew there were problems when the competators looked like deer at night in headlights )

Even I know that some of the best planning can go out the window in the blink of an eye. But there are some minor things that can be done before hand to eliminate the mass majority of those annoyances. Spending 15 minutes giving instructions to the competators and staff beforehand can create a less tense environment and a more smoothly run production. You can invest 15 minutes in prep time or loose 30 during the show... that's how I see it. In fact, I would think the competators would appreciate it since they would have a clue of what to do! My friend commented that he didn't know what to do the majority of the time and he's done these things for years!

Nothing is perfect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it. Heck, those guys have been through hell the last 15-20 weeks, the company that they paid $$ to should be professional enough to try to look professional. (100 contestants x $50 fee) - (35 trophies at approx $40 each) + ($37 VIP ticks x 600) + ( $27 Reg tickets x 1000) + ($20 Prejudging show x 800) - location rental costs for one day (I'd guess around $5000)= $63,800. That doesn't include the companies that sponsored the event which might even push that number higher. The place was almost packed, so I can guess that the theatre was near capacity (a total of 1800 seats were available and it only seemed like 200 of them were empty) Even if you cut back the number of seats to have a conservative estimate, they probably still pulled in around $40,000 (I'd guess) This doesn't really count though since volunteers probably had expenses covered, so let's say that the guy that put this on made $20,000 for all of his troubles. I think for $20,000 you should at least try to have a truely professional event. Has anyone seen the website for them? www.georgiabodybuilding.com ?

I'm a tad upset, I do believe that these guys are getting less than they deserve for what they're investing in time/training/diet/etc.

Ok, enough ranting... if I really want to be this upset I should just offer my services to make next years event better. I may do that. While I might not be able to change the world, I can try to make one event a little bit better... or at least the website!

Scott
  #104   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:11 PM

glammaman2000
You're absolutely right...

At some point,somebody says they'know somebody who knows somebody who does lights".&that's what they get.If you want it to be better,voluteer.(NOT THE WEBSITE!You'll end up with he same cheeseball event with better advertising).
  #105   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM

[color=#ff0000]7/12/05 Workout

[/color]Quad/Calves day 12:10-1:30PM (Same as last week again!)

Squat Leg Press:
270x10
450x10
720x10
860x7

Hack Squat:
140x10
180x10
250x8

Hip Abductors:
130x10
170x10
195x8

Leg Extension:
195x12
285x10

Ham Curl:
195x12
285x10

Seated Calf Raise:
90x10
135x10
180x10
205x9

Slowly increasing on the leg press type stuff... as I feel more comfortable pushing more weight it will slowly go up. For those wondering I am going full range... not quite locking out, but am coming almost all the way to my chest (about enough room for my hand laying flat between my chest and knees at the bottom of the movement).

Tomorrow I'll hit abs and arms again. Should be fun since I've not worked abs the last two "normally scheduled" times. Let's see how they respond after having their small break... (probably not well with my luck )

Scott
  #106   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

[color=#ff0000]7/13/05 Workout

[/color]Abs/Arms day 12:10-1:20PM

Ab Machine:
110x15
160x12
190x11

Oblique Twist (each way):
160x10
180x10
200x10

Dips: (Where BW=Bodyweight which is 270lbs)
BWx10
BWX11

Underhand Tri Ext with bar:
100x10
150x10
140x10
130x10
120x9
110x8

Rope Tri Ext:
100x10
150x10
175x10

Rope Bi Curl:
100x10
150x10
140x8
130x8
120x8
110x7

Arm Curl Machine 1-2:
60x10
90x10
120x8

Underhand Forearm:
Olympic Barx15

Overhand Forearm:
Olympic Barx15

I think my bis were a tad bit stronger today than last week since I had Friday off from going to ATL for the BB Comp. Abs were a bit more trickier since this is the first time I've worked them in a week... just didn't feel like I was all there for the abs workout..hehe... anywho, decent workout overall...

Scott
  #107   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:50 PM

OK, in response to HulkMuscle's comments from last week, I've altered my Thur and Fri worksout so that I hit Lats on Thur and Rhom/Traps on Fri... and now for the show

[color=#ff0000]7/14/05 Workout

[/color]Chest/Lats day 12:00-1:45PM

Incline Hammer Bench Press:
90x15
180x12
270x10
350x7

Wide Hammer Chest Press:
180x12
270x10
360x10
410x7

Pec Dec:
190x10
295x10

Assisted Pulldowns (est since it's based on my BW-Assisted poundages):
200x10
218x10
236x8
254x7

Overhead Hammer Pulldowns:
180x10
270x10
320x7

Narrow Pull Down:
120x10
170x8

I should have added another bar pulldown or something, but I had plenty of interruptions today (mostly business related) so... while I could have stayed another 20 minutes.. I had to come back home for other business matters Of course with my luck, they showed up an hour late... I could have stayed those extra 20 mins... hehe

Oh, As a side note, a guy asked me to spot him a few times while he was benching and then after about 30 minutes he started asking questions like if I competed, weight, etc... That's probably a first from a total stranger

Scott
  #108   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Oh, As a side note, a guy asked me to spot him a few times while he was benching and then after about 30 minutes he started asking questions like if I competed, weight, etc... That's probably a first from a total stranger
Excellent!
  #109   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:54 AM

ethernet_jock
it's no wonder people are asking you such things Scott!!

Awesome!!

#110   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM

EJ> After seeing what "competition condition" looks like last weekend, I can unequivicably state that I am NOwhere there The gesture was nice though...

As a fun side note, my friend asked if I'd be coming in at 7 and that other guy from the post above overheard. Two secs later he asked "Do you work out twice a day?" I kinda laughed and said "I'm not that bored! He's got a photoshoot here tomorrow night" I've heard of people training twice a day, but I already get yelled at enough by my mother when I go to the gym period... imagine if I went twice a day for two hours each.. hehe.. plus I'd never get any work done!

Scott - who's now heading to the gym to hit traps/rhoms/hams/calves
  #111   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting Friday's workout posted... it's been a hectic day to say the least... anywho.. for those who actually like to read this sorta stuff..

[color=#ff0000]Workout for 7/1/05
[/color]Hams/Calves/Back/Abs 12:30-2:05PM

Good Mornings (In Smith Rack):
50x10
100x10
140x10
190x7

Straight Legged Deadlift:
140x10
190x10
240x7

Ham Curls 1-2:
195x10
285x10

Hip Adduction
185x12
205x10

Seated Hammer rows:
180x10
270x10
360x10
420x7

Shoulder Shrugs(machine):
140x10
180x10
250x8

Seated Rope Pull:
120x10
180x10
210x8

Standing Calf Raises:
365x10
405x10
495x10

Ab Machine:
110x15
160x12
190x10

Getting a new feel for the slight alterations in the back routine on Thurs/Fri. Not terribly bad I might add... but still a long way to go!

Scott
  #112   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:37 AM

optimuscx

Can you explain what a seated hammer row is? I know normal rows of various types but what is a hammer row?
  #113   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
Can you explain what a seated hammer row is? I know normal rows of various types but what is a hammer row?

UK> It would probably be best to show you.. http://www.pacillo.com/products/keys_seated_row_b.jpg

I use the monkier "hammer" to represent any machine where I can do the motion using a single hand or both. While the pic above is not the exact same machine I use, it's similar. The main reason is that when you're rowing that much weight you kinda get pressed pretty hard into the pad... and that hinders breathing, so by being able to isolate a single arm, you can lift the weight without bearing into the pad (since there is a support bar on the other side of the pad to grasp onto)

Hope that helps!

Scott
  #114   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Good. Have used that sort of machine myself but just never really seen it described. I only associate "hammer" with arm curls.
  #115   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:01 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Hammer's also an excellent brand of gym equipment ;-)

But yes, hammer curls are usually used to describe bicep curls whereby you hold the dumbbell like a hammer, i.e., palms facing the sides of your body, no rotation.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #116   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
Good. Have used that sort of machine myself but just never really seen it described. I only associate "hammer" with arm curls.
I think it might be a more American sort of thing to call something after the dominant brand like:
? Kleenex for facial tissue
? iPod for mp3 player
? Jello for gelatin
? Coke for a pop
  #117   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I think it might be a more American sort of thing to call something after the dominant brand like:
? Kleenex for facial tissue
? iPod for mp3 player
? Jello for gelatin
? Coke for a pop
That's most likely true (Walkman for a tape player..hehe) but in this case I actually went back and looked at the machine and it actually does say "Hammer" on it I guess if I were wanting to be 100% correct I would have called it the Hammer "ISO Seated Rows" but that's just too much to type!

Scott
  #118   Add to grywlf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM

grywlf is on a distinguished road
when i was going to golds gym they had about 8 machines with hammer in the title wasn't sure if it refered to type of movement or a brand name
  #119   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM

[color=#ff0000]7/18/05 Workout

[/color]Shoulders and Arms 11:35 - 1:40PM

Upright rows:
70x10
120x9
145x7
145x6

Front Shoulder Press:
140x10
160x9
180x6

Reverse Pec Dec (to hit delts):
195x10
280x8

Machine Side Raises:
160x10
190x8

Barbell Curls:
50x9
70x8
80x6

Hammer Curls:
45x10
50x8
55x8

Overhead Tri Extension:
160x10
210x10
260x10
300x10

Tri Pulldown:
110x15
150x12
175x13

SARGPS:
90x10
100x9
110x9
  #120   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM

[color=#ff0000]7/19/05 Workout

[/color]Quad/Calves day 12:00-1:30PM

Squat Leg Press:
270x10
450x10
720x10
860x8

Hack Squat:
140x10
180x10
270x7

Hip Abductors:
130x10
170x10
195x8

Leg Extension:
195x12
285x10

Ham Curl:
195x12
285x10

Wasn't able to do any calf work. I backed my right calf into one of the bars on a machine and it felt "off" so I choose not to push my luck. I guess I'll just have to make it up next week when I do calves on quad day again

Scott

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options