The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #161   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
[color=#ff0000]8/30/05 Workout

[/color]Quad/Calves day 12:20-1:40PM

Squat Leg Press:
270x10
540x10
720x10
870x8

Hack Squat:
180x10
270x8
290x6

Hip Abductors:
135x10
185x10
200x7

Leg Extension:
195x12
285x10

Ham Curl:
195x12
285x10

Seated Calf Raises:
180x15
270x12
360x10
385x8

Scott
  #162   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:44 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Some impressive workout poundages there!

Optimusx,

Your workout poundages are HUGE! I workout in the early morning, and nobody in my gym at that time lifts anything close to your poundages!

Are you in a seriously hardcore gym? I gather you're in some semi-rural south Georgia area, so I guess the intensity is definitely there!

You're 270# now. How big are you planning to get? I'd think you'd have a very substantial muscle base there for either cutting down and competing in a bodybuilding competition, or, a strong base for modifying your training to incorporate more powerlifting type moves.

What is your ultimate goal here? I ask, because it seems like you are at the size and strength levels (and still in your mid-20s!) that most guys anywhere would be striving to achieve over 20 years or so?

Curious here,

Mdlftr
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #163   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Your workout poundages are HUGE!
Not really.. theres a core groups of guys at my gym that put what I do to shame! Oddly enough most are around 200-210 lbs.

Quote:
Are you in a seriously hardcore gym? I gather you're in some semi-rural south Georgia area, so I guess the intensity is definitely there!
Not really on the gym front... most of the people that are there when I'm there are doctors, lawyers and anyone over 60. It seems more like a geriatrics clinic than anything else. Having a plethora of machines is nice though

Quote:
You're 270# now. How big are you planning to get? !...What is your ultimate goal here?
Well, I'm still undecided. It seems that when it comes to my body I'm always in flux. A part of me wants to lean out, another part could care less and wants to bulk. I guess the asian side wants to be thin and the scottish/irish side want mass.. .go figure. If I could be a solid/lean 280 I think it would satisfy both sides.

As far as ultimate goal... I don't really have one... Like I mentioned above, I'm sorta divided with where I want to go in this pursuit. I like weighing 270 and wouldn't getting heavier, but at the same time my 36s are tight from the quads up... the only room that has breathing space are my calves. I think most of us have similar thoughts.. massive and ripped. Well I'm not quite either yet and honestly, most will never achieve those goals naturally. Right now I'm still natural and it will probably stay that way for a while longer so while I might carry some mass it's not gonna be ripped mass. hehe..

Thanks for the interest, I'll post my workout from today later.

Scott
  #164   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Post Vote for Scott

Scott,

As one of your many fans, please count my vote to the Scottish/Irish side...go for 300, big guy!! You can lean up after you pick up the pieces of tattered jeans and shirts!

Thanks for taking the time to post your workouts. They are truly inspiring to the rest of us.
  #165   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM

[color=#ff0000]8/31/05 Workout

[/color]Abs/Arms day 12:30-2:00PM

Ab Machine:
110x15
170x12
190x11

Oblique Twist (each way):
160x10
180x10
200x10

Dips: (Where BW=Bodyweight which is 270lbs)
BWx11
BWX11

Pushdown Tri Ext with bar:
110x15
150x10
140x10
130x10
120x10
110x10
100x10

Rope Tri Ext:
100x12
150x10
185x9

Rope Bi Curl:
110x10
150x10
140x10
130x8
120x8
110x8
100x6

Arm Curl Machine 1-2:
90x10
130x6
80x10

Underhand Forearm:
Olympic Bar+20 x 15

Overhand Forearm:
Olympic Bar+20 x 10

Scott
  #166   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdawg
Scott,

As one of your many fans, please count my vote to the Scottish/Irish side...go for 300, big guy!! You can lean up after you pick up the pieces of tattered jeans and shirts!
Thanks for the push I don't really know what I'd look like at 300, esp. if I don't lean up a bit. It seems that I've maintained probably the same fat:muscle ratio since I started my long bulk. Which isn't necissarily a bad thing... it's not like my gut was hanging out a mile when I started or anything, but still.. at 300 that might be the case

I have thought about just going gung-ho and hitting 300 and then cleaning up the damage, but that good ole Asian side is sitting in the corner screaming -Poor Asian speaking English dialect- "You fat, you loose weight now, you whale, I never seen so much fat one place.. " -Asian speaking English dialect off-

Needless to say, I don't really mind it that much. I mind having to buy larger pants though I hate shopping for clothing. Electronics, I'm fine with. Books and Media, I'm fine with. Toys, I'm fine with. Personal clothing shopping, I hate.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Scott
  #167   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
Scott,
Look at it this way....if you "shoot for the moon", we'll get a collection of guys to do a "Queer Eye for the Muscle Monster" on ya. Once you reach 300, we'll take you out and make you over! It'll be the least we can do.

I'll be the first volunteer.
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #168   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:38 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
I like weighing 270 and wouldn't getting heavier, but at the same time my 36s are tight from the quads up... the only room that has breathing space are my calves.
I really need to work on my legs more, having pants that are tight from the quads up is awesome. Go for that 300!
  #169   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_mastah
I really need to work on my legs more, having pants that are tight from the quads up is awesome. Go for that 300!
Like what I was trying to say (but forgot to type in a word). I wouldn't MIND getting heavier.. hehe.. the only real bummer about having clothes that cling to your rear and legs is that everything shows.. and I mean everything. Everything in your pocket (keys, wallet, pieces of paper) and everything between your legs (especially if you get excited). Needless to say, while I'll probably go up to 38s to get some comfort room, I'd hate to break into 40s to reach 300... then again, does anyone know what these bodybuilders that are in their 300s wear? I'd guess at least 36 since I can't see them at 300 with a 32" waist (At least not guys like Lee Priest).

Scott
  #170   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Weighty question and workouts...

Optimusx,

Not to beat this whole bodyweight question to death, but!....

At 270#, you're hoisting some pretty impressive weights, especially since I gather that this is "natural" i.e., no 'roids.

Does having the extra bodyweight, even if some of it is fat, help increase your strength to make those lifts?

I recently leaned out a bit by doing a lot of aerobic, high energy exercise (cleaning out a 3 story house by myself, in 80 degree + weather) and only eating twice a day for a week. I'm extremely gratified to see the "thick skin" around my waist go away. The muscle I have is maybe a tad smaller, but I went and worked legs yesterday, and I'm not in serious pain or exhausted. As a matter of fact, I feel great! At 6'3" and 205-207# I'm the biggest I've ever been, and I'm growing in the right places! I'd like to get to around 220#, in shape. [When I was your age, I was around 165-175#. Course, I didn't lift regularly, either. It wasn't as prevelant as it is now.]

AS someone who has a lifelong horror of being fat (not that I've EVER been even close to that) but wants the muscle, is it possible to get strong enough to build the muscle size, without getting to be a chubbola? It's funny, but I wouldn' t consider taking 'roids (health issues are too much) or "bulking up" (like Lee Priest). What I find is that if I don't get enough rest (which is typical) or eat enough, I get nagging injuries and aches that don't go away: shoulder, wrist, lower back. While I think part of it is the fact that I'm not 25 anymore, I also think that some people just need to pace themselves or they get injured.

It sounds like you are a naturally more stocky build. The Irish-Scots part of you must be the BIG part of Ireland-Scotland! [And the poor Asian guy in the corner....well, no body's listening to him!]

Mdlftr
  #171   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:28 AM

Mdlftr,

Yup, still natural. Unless you count the variety of supplements that I've tried since I started working out in Aug 03 (R-Ala, Whey Protein, etc). Nothing hardcore though like Test, EQ or Winny (yet).

As far as having BW help with lifts... I don't think it really matters. Like I mentioned in a post above, there are guys in my gym that weigh closer to 200 and are lifting heavier weights than I for more reps. On the flip side, I've seen guys in their upper 200s that can barely lift a thing. It's more dependant upon basic human leverage and muscle density.

Now, I think you may be seeing things as an observer of powerlifitng (i.e. mass=strength). When you see big guys that are benching and squatting insane amount of weights for powerlifting it's really only half the story. Part of the reason they can lift that much IS due to their size. The larger the chest, the less the distance they have to lower the weight to count as a full rep. The shorter their legs, the less they have to bend to clear a squat. Physcial dimensions greatly affect performance. Also, these guys usually use lifting suits which they basically fight against to lower weight and then the suit pushes them back up.

Every guy has to decide what's best for them. Some guys are deathly afraid of gaining any fat and they end up never really growing any real muscle. Now you CAN gain significant muscle without a ton of fat, but you're not going to remain natural doing such. Just compare pics of older strongmen to strongmen of the modern era. Granted, nutrition has greatly improved and our knowledge of how to optimize the body has increased, but the reality is that these guys now are so well pumped on gear. For those saying that people in the WSM don't use, I can tell you without a doubt, they do.

Just realize that the keys to growth are simple: lots of rest, plenty of good, well timed intake food/supplements and intense but effective workouts.

Don't know about a naturally stocky build... like I've mentioned before.. most think I weight 220-230 and that's far from stocky. I guess in a way I've sorta morphed into a somewhat stocky build though over the last two years (trust me... when you play a icebreaker game with a few friends and they complain that you have a bony butt (imagine trying to stand up with another person back to back)... I don't think you could call that stocky - that was three years ago though).

Well the poor asian guy is still there, and of course his asian mother keeps amping his sentiments (if you've seen KungFu Hustle, think of the Lion's Roar and you've got the picture)

Scott
  #172   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM

[color=#ff0000]9/1/05 Workout

[/color]Chest/Lats day 12:15-1:50PM

Incline Hammer Bench Press:
90x15
180x12
270x10
350x8

Wide Hammer Chest Press:
180x12
270x10
360x10
410x8

Pec Dec:
200x10
305x10

Assisted Pullups (est since it's based on my BW-Assisted poundages):
212x10
230x9
252x8
270x6

Overhead Hammer Pulldowns:
180x10
270x10
340x7

Narrow Pull Down:
160x10
230x5

Scott
  #173   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hey guys!

Well, as several have noticed, I haven't updated this log in over a week. Simplest explination is that it's pretty monotonous since the varianace between each week is fairly small and honestly a thread full of numbers is pretty, uh, boring. So I'm gonna end my posting to this particular thread. Does this mean I'm not going to post my progress? Not at all... what it does mean is that something better is coming and I think people would much rather I focus on a way to present my workouts/progress in a more meaningful manner than just daily postings of numbers...

I'll post more details later

Scott
  #174   Add to lewj99's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:45 AM

lewj99
Send a message via Yahoo to lewj99
Hey Scott, thanks for the update...and here we all thought you'd just quit working out...LOL! Looking forward to whatever's coming in "Workout Log 2: Workout Boogaloo"...
  #175   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
That's exactly why I never posted mine...who really cares if I leg press 820 one week and 825 the next? Sounds like accounting class to me.

Much more interesting to hear your words o'wisdom rather than look at a laundry list of numbers.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #176   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewj99
here we all thought you'd just quit working out...LOL!
Hehe, yeah right... Scott quitting working out... It is about as likely to happen as me growing to 300lbs... Scotts desire to grow is far too deep.

Yep, I think what you need to do Scott, assuming you don't mind me saying, is making your log more personal. I mean, reading about the weights you are lifting is all very well, and they are nothing short of impressive, but after quite a lot of those types of posts, its more like a reference log.

This is only a suggestion, but what i'd personally enjoy hearing about is what you liked doing most in the gym, more about any experiences you encounter with other people whom notice your growing size, more about problems with everyday living as a result of getting bugger, more about your diet, more about what supplements your taking etc. This would make for a much more interesting read, since, by doing so, your allowing people to use your experience to possibly aid their own workouts and helping them achieve their own goals. Another interesting idea would be to show pics of you serveral years ago, and the progression over time. This of course will only enfasize the out standing work and dedication it has taken you to get where you are now.

You know i've been a fan of yours for a very long time, infact, since i joined and read your stats, and if you did't, then you know now. Your an intelligent young guy, with everything going for you, that to me, is impressive. I like seeing success, and it spurs me on too to be successful. We all know you've inspired so many people on here, Hell, if you havent worked it out yet, you've inspired me!

I for one, look forward to reading your future posts with whatever details you decide to post.

I'm also going to take this oppotunity to wish you all the very best with your future workouts as you bring this thread to a close and start your new one, and for that matter, wish you the very best of success in life in general.

Marc

.:: Website:www.marcomus.com | Email: [email protected] ::.
.:: Pics & Movie clip Media | BB Progress Thread ::.
  #177   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:11 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_ukmus
This is only a suggestion, but what i'd personally enjoy hearing about is what you liked doing most in the gym, more about any experiences you encounter with other people whom notice your growing size, more about problems with everyday living as a result of getting bugger, ...
Getting bugger (or is it buggered) can create many problems with everyday living, ya know...

Freudian slip, Mark? :-)

Cheers all!
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #178   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
On route to freakdom

OH FECK! lol

Yes, OBVIOUSLY I meant bigger! doh! How very embarrassing!

We need that edit feature back and fast!

Marc

#179   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkmuscle
That's exactly why I never posted mine...who really cares if I leg press 820 one week and 825 the next? Sounds like accounting class to me.
Hey! Don't knock accounting! (Says the MBA student)

Incidentally, I have a blog on LiveJournal where I post something of a workout log every time I go to the gym. Sadly, it doesn't get updated as often as it should and it's pretty bare bones - I don't even list poundages like Scott does/did, more just a general overview - but it's there if anyone wants to take a peek. (Other aspects of my oh-so-exciting life *yawn* are mentioned from time to time as well, so be forewarned)

Here's the link: Loopy's LiveJournal

-Loopy

p.s. I don't really like accounting either
  #180   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Well I think Mark needs to avoid all sorts of slips fruedian or real..especially in the loos at clubs...one slip up and you've snorted someone else's Coke or put your hand down the wrong pair of trousers....
  #181   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
coke not Coke obviously...
  #182   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:55 PM
On route to freakdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
Well I think Mark needs to avoid all sorts of slips fruedian or real..especially in the loos at clubs...one slip up and you've snorted someone else's Coke or put your hand down the wrong pair of trousers....
Whoa! As if i'd make a misstake like that , except for that one time when... only joking...!

Hehe

#183   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Hmmmm, is the new version coming along soon?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options