You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to darkblad01's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM

darkblad01 is on a distinguished road
Muscle Growth Research

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I'm getting a bachelor's in biochemistry and I've been looking around on my own for graduate schools that do research on muscle growth so that I could participate and hopefully contribute.

I could only find one study that really applied to what I wanted to research, which was done at John Hopkins. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0000789

But, as you may or may not be aware of, John Hopkins is a really competitive school that is hard to get into. I'm currently looking for more viable alternatives.

Long story short, I wanted to know if you guys knew any grad schools out there that did muscle growth research besides John Hopkins. I know this might sound a little far-fetched but I can't think of anything else I really want to spend the rest of my life researching. Any help would be awesome, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to falseyedee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:43 PM

falseyedee is on a distinguished road
i think you need to broaden your scope a little and look for schools that do sports physiology or bio-chemical responses to sports training type research and/or schools that do research into muscle wasting diseases. Those are the kinds of programs that would also allow you to continue your research into muscle growth.

just a thought from somebody who knows NOTHING about your field (so take it with a grain of salt).

my new website: www.falseyedee.com

my new ebook, a short story, is available at amazon.com. all my books are at at amazon.com as both paperbacks and kindle ebooks:
http://astore.amazon.com/muscleficti...ail/1452858519

for nook users, all 3 of my short story collections are available as nook ebooks!

my first 3 books are available as PDF files at gumroad.com.

www.musclefiction.com
www.falseyedee.com
  #3   Add to darkblad01's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:59 AM

darkblad01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falseyedee View Post
i think you need to broaden your scope a little and look for schools that do sports physiology or bio-chemical responses to sports training type research and/or schools that do research into muscle wasting diseases. Those are the kinds of programs that would also allow you to continue your research into muscle growth.

just a thought from somebody who knows NOTHING about your field (so take it with a grain of salt).
thanks, i was thinking about looking for cures for muscle dystrophy. good suggestion.
  #4   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
Send a message via Yahoo to cccatl
I've been to grad school for science. My advice would be to contact the principle researcher directly. Tell him how interested you are in his research. Be well read up on the papers that he's written, and be ready to explain why you're so interested in his work.

If he likes you, he will give you advice on how to get in. You still need to get in on your own merit, but a good word from the inside from him could make a big difference.
  #5   Add to tautomer4314's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Chemist

tautomer4314 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tautomer4314 Send a message via MSN to tautomer4314 Send a message via Yahoo to tautomer4314
I hope you don't intend to not only research muscle development, but experiment on yourself. That is a absolute huge no no in the research world. I honestly think it would be illegal. If your PI found out you were doing such a thing, I am willing to bet your academic career would be over.

I am in grad school for organic chemistry right now (synthesis). Obviously, with my skills, I could very easily make illicit drugs for myself. coincidentally, I happen to be curious with drugs and have experimented in the past. Would I ever make my own drugs? HELL NO! Mind you, the thought and idea of doing so is there, but that is playing with fire. One false move and I'd be toast in so many regards, and could kill the academic career of my PI as well.

Just make sure your heart is in the research for the right reasons.

"I know, the void. The void, knows me. It keeps us weak, the void told me."
-Planningtorock (Janine Rostron)
  #6   Add to bigbob111's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:26 AM

bigbob111 is on a distinguished road
So, does follistatin work? is it for real? Can I have some?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options