The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.23 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:10 AM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Approaching 60? Reasons you should still workout.

Yep. Sixty is right around the corner. What drives me to workout? Here is a flickr set that tells you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimdeli...7632030472873/
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:16 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Can anyone contribute to those reasons (as I can think of a couple of reasons myself)?
  #3   Add to EricRF's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM

EricRF is on a distinguished road
I see this thread is a bit old, but so am I Not at 60 yet, mid-fifties here, and only started training at all seriously when I hit 50. Boy, I wish I'd started 30 years sooner!

Jim, I couldn't get to the pictures you posted (the URL seems to be bad according to Flickr), but my reasons to keep going and training to get big and strong are:

(1) To get big and strong... I don't want to become small and weak as I get older
(2) Keep my bones strong
(3) To look good (as opposed to frail)
(4) To frighten children and small animals
(5) Health (though what I lift alarms my doctors)

OK, so (4) is something I'd heard someone say that I kinda like. Don't know if I'll get THAT big! A friend of mine started going to my gym (which is more serious than, say, a Planet Nitwit) a year ago at 66, so it's never too late. He just wants to stay healthy and lose some fat. There's always good reasons to train!
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:20 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
The world is divided into two groups of people: those approaching 60 and those leaving it in the dust behind them right?

I have a bit of time (only 35), but a question that seems to come up a lot is when someone is "too old" to lift, and I think it's the wrong question. Considering the benefits of lifting and good diet, it's even MORE important the older you get. A 20 year old can get away with a poor lifestyle, but as you get older, excercise has more and more of an impact on risk of heart disease and stroke, cancer, longevity, quality of life issues, bone density and strength, balance and stability, mental acuity, the list goes on and on.

There is no such thing as being "too old" for lifting. People should instead be asking "how do I get started as soon as possible?"
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:39 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
As a man who's never going to see 40 again, or even 50 for that matter, I have to jump in here and say that working out is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Like EricRF, I didn't start working out until later in life (in my case, mid-30s) and I've been very sporadic over the years, due to career, family, finances and a million other things called "life" getting in the way.

I totally agree that working out and getting stronger is a major turn on! As the blood pumps into your muscles and other body parts (!) you get such a rush. Afterwards you know you've done yourself a great favor, like taking a car in for a tune up and then taking it for a long drive. Sure, I'd love to look like Antoine Valliant (except for the hair!) but I realize that I'm going to look like my own best body type, except firmer and stronger. Working out by lifting weights affirms my sense of self worth and masculinity in a way that no other exercise does.

Happy lifting all!

Mdlftr
  #6   Add to bbgonnabe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Late but Great Grower

bbgonnabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim USA View Post
Yep. Sixty is right around the corner. What drives me to workout? Here is a flickr set that tells you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimdeli...7632030472873/
"Jim, I couldn't get to the pictures you posted (the URL seems to be bad according to Flickr)..."

Same here.
  #7   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
We're all approaching 60, some are just ahead..
don't want to be admitted into a retirement home? remain active, strong. It will keep your metabolism healthy, your brain with good nutrient supply.
  #8   Add to tomofutah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:52 AM

tomofutah is on a distinguished road
Jim, Eric, Magus, Mdlftr, Imn....BINGO! Thanks for posting, I usually have trouble finding the right words to express a point, but you all nailed it.

I started late at 45...overweight and out of shape, and the only goal was to look good. Now at 65, I know I will never look like those guys on the web, but I realized that was not the point. Staying in shape allows me the independence and freedom to enjoy the quality of life that would just not be possible otherwise. I get to work in a job that the majority of my co-workers are a generation or even two younger than me, stay physically active at work, and bring home a decent paycheck. All this while wearing shorts and a polo shirt, cracking jokes, and passing out peanuts in a tube where the floor jiggle around a bit. Go figure. Life is good as long as I take care of myself, and that's the point I missed at 45...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options