The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Keeping the Motivation Going

Okay, so in short, I'm 35, quit drinking last year and decided to get into bodybuilding ('cause I've always wanted muscles), spent a year going consistently to the gym, have hired a personal trainer and worked with him for 3 months so far, and am beginning to see results. I've set a reasonable timeline (I think) of 4-5 years to get my sedentary alcoholic's body into competition shape, and after 1 year of just being consistent I know that I need to amp things up a few notches.

The last few days I've been reaffirming that this is what I want and need, and I'm getting support and encouragement from some surprising places. I'm at a motivational high point right now and want to do everything I possibly can to progress and reach this goal.

But, I'm human, and so I know that motivation and determination can fluctuate over time. I also know that there are tools that people use to keep themselves going, and that's what I want to hear about from you all:

What do you do to keep your enthusiasm high, for muscle growth or even anything that you're passionate about but that takes a high degree of effort and discipline?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Keep on keeping on....

Excellent question.

What I do is say to myself when I'm checking out my progress in the mirror or just looking, "I love big muscles. I want big muscles. I like the way they look and feel, and I'm working hard to get them."

Amazing the number of times i get that bit of a psych up, even when I'm feeling down because I read some pro's phony arm and chest measurements and I'm thinking that I don't measure up. I am realizing in the last several months that as a tall guy (6'3") I look skinny even long past the point of being skinny. I'm consistently 212 - 214# now, in shape. I'm looking to get to 220# in shape, and I can see myself getting there!

Mdlftr
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
The Magus (November 30th, 2012)
  #3   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I've heard a lot of people use that kind of visualisation/affirmation talk to motivate themselves, and I admit I've done a bit of it myself (my other "kink" second to muscle growth, is hypnosis, which I'm pretty sure is just basically the same thing as self-affirmation).

I feel bad for you taller guys, but I gotta say those of you that get big enough to show even a little bit of size are HOT. There's a new trainer at my gym who's tall and lanky, but has arms the size of hams (he boxes), and I can't stop myself from sneaking a look now and then.
  #4   Add to RosettaWood's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:05 AM

RosettaWood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus View Post
Okay, so in short, I'm 35, quit drinking last year and decided to get into bodybuilding ('cause I've always wanted muscles), spent a year going consistently to the gym, have hired a personal trainer and worked with him for 3 months so far, and am beginning to see results. I've set a reasonable timeline (I think) of 4-5 years to get my sedentary alcoholic's body into competition shape, and after 1 year of just being consistent I know that I need to amp things up a few notches.

The last few days I've been reaffirming that this is what I want and need, and I'm getting support and encouragement from some surprising places. I'm at a motivational high point right now and want to do everything I possibly can to progress and reach this goal.

But, I'm human, and so I know that motivation and determination can fluctuate over time. I also know that there are tools that people use to keep themselves going, and that's what I want to hear about from you all:

What do you do to keep your enthusiasm high, for muscle growth or even anything that you're passionate about but that takes a high degree of effort and discipline?
Hi,
I would say the secret is to be enthusiastic about everything that comes into your life is to care, to care about people. To be excited about everything that comes close to you, to love things that you are very fond of. And appreciate every little good thing that happens to your life.
-Rosetta

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options