The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Jaekel's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Jaekel is on a distinguished road
Advice for legs.

Hello -

I was wondering if anyone had advice for someone who has lower back problems.

Since starting going to the gym, I have noticed that leg day in particular causes terrible lower back pain, even with good form. To remedy this, I stopped squatting and deadlifting, only trying them twice or so a every couple weeks, and started using the leg press and other machines instead.

However the machine that my gym has only goes up to 525lbs, and that is just not enough for me. I am wary of starting a routine that relies on squats and deadlifts.

Are there any leg exercises that do not put stress on the lower back? or does anyone know of ways to lower the stress put on the lower back when squatting or deadlifting?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2013, 02:25 PM

brutus is on a distinguished road
Are you ising a good weight belt? A quality, well-fitted weight belt might help. Also, you might try having your flutes massaged, espically along the iliac spine, where they insert. Lastly, 525 is a lot of weight! You could go slower & use one leg at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to brutus For This Useful Post:
Jaekel (January 10th, 2013)
  #3   Add to Heiko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hero in training

Heiko is on a distinguished road
Try building up the muscles in the lower back with supermans, planks. Maybe try foam rolling stretching.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:
  #4   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Rather than trying to find leg exercises that don't put strain on the lower back, perhaps look for ways to strengthen the lower back (as Heiko has already suggested)

Hyperextensions are a good choice. Also start doing light squats and light deadlifts, focusing on the lower back. Deadlifts moreso than squats, because deadlifts hit the lower back quite well. With the light squats, be sure to go as deep as possible, not just down to parallel. With deep squats, you should let your knees go further forward, and not let your glutes go back as far. Your torso should be more upright than for regular squats. You could also do them as front squats, which will have a similar effect on your body position.

And, also as mentioned by Heiko, stretching will also help. Get into a good stretching routine, best to do it at least once a day, twice if you have the patience for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aielyn For This Useful Post:
  #5   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
back strength has be mentioned. I'll add "proper exercise sequencing". tire your legs with leg presses, than move to squat and deadlifts. your lower back is still fresh, but your legs are already pumped.
But yeah, strengthen your back. and it might be useful to upload a clip of you performing. Make sure full body is in view, taken from the side.

Also, find a lifting coach and purchase 1-2 lessons. you need someone who knows how to analyze movements and fix them. I'm sure it will be a great investment!
The Following User Says Thank You to inm For This Useful Post:
Jaekel (January 11th, 2013)
  #6   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
forst you need to train your spinal erectors muscle groups and also your whole core. Second you need to have someone woork with you and they have to know body biomechancis . that will be the best way to correct you lower back issue. I can also be that you need some streatching and deep tissue massage work and you may have to check how your placing your feet on the leg press. Remember your body works on 45 amd 90 degree angles of range of motition if your operation out of that rage is whe you will get hurt or have pain. its form and control and not the weight that will govern muscle growth. if you need any more help let me know
  #7   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
I recommend going to a Chiropractor who is familiar with athletes. Get adjusted and have him give you advice on strengthening your core before you try to do heavy squats. Unfortunately, almost all exercises that will help you build bigger legs will also put stress on your lower back. Strengthen your core and you should be able to do a lot more than you are presently doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to inflated For This Useful Post:
Jaekel (January 12th, 2013)
  #8   Add to phoenix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM

phoenix is on a distinguished road
As a student doctor, I would recommend seeing a sports physiotherapist. If you're in a country with private healthcare it might be a little pricey but the skills they can give you be used for the rest of your life.
The suggestions given so far are valid, improving lower back strength and massage have been shown to help. But in order to help rehab your back, I would say physio would help get you back to lifting quicker. See if you can find one with experience of weight training, sciatica and lumbar disc problems is their bread and butter stuff, they see it all the time.
Can you squat without weights?

All the best

JJ

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options