The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.88 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to wannabehuge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:52 PM

wannabehuge is on a distinguished road
Is muscle scar tissue?

Are muscles technically scar tissue, or does it just behave like scar tissue? After breaking down, it reforms tougher, thicker, stronger. To me it sounds like the same thing.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Bigm999's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM

Bigm999 is on a distinguished road
It is not scar tissue, nor does it 'behave' like scar tissue. They are utterly different. You're trying to equate a few superficial details.

Eg

Chickens lay eggs that are white and smooth and hard. My neighbours car is white and smooth and hard. Could a chicken lay a car? Sounds like the same thing.
  #3   Add to Curiosity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Curiosity is on a distinguished road
No, it isn't scar tissue.

I'd say the basic difference is that when building muscle, the micro-tears that form after lifting weights fill in with more muscle cells, which makes the whole muscle bigger and stronger but doesn't necessarily make the area where the micro-tear was tougher than the rest of the muscle. Scar tissue fills an injury in with cells that are entirely different than regular skin cells, or so google tells me. So with a cut, instead of making the skin bigger or stronger as a whole, the scar fills in the cut with something called "fibroblasts" and collagen, which makes that specific location tougher and (slightly) more resistant to being injured again. (Seriously, if you cut yourself with a knife, scar tissue's not gonna stop that a second time.)

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that having scar tissue on a muscle is actually a detriment (as opposed to having zero effect at all) because it wouldn't give you any strength benefit.
  #4   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
Actually, muscle can contain some scar tissue but not in the sense that you think it does. It varies from person to person, as well as how fast the muscles grow. Guys who are absolutely huge or have used steroids can thank scar tissue for making their muscles appear bigger. However, it would be a very small fraction of the actual muscle size that is made up of scar tissue.
  #5   Add to flamedelft's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM

flamedelft has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I'd say the basic difference is that when building muscle, the micro-tears that form after lifting weights fill in with more muscle cells, which makes the whole muscle bigger and stronger but doesn't necessarily make the area where the micro-tear was tougher than the rest of the muscle. Scar tissue fills an injury in with cells that are entirely different than regular skin cells, or so google tells me. So with a cut, instead of making the skin bigger or stronger as a whole, the scar fills in the cut with something called "fibroblasts" and collagen, which makes that specific location tougher and (slightly) more resistant to being injured again. (Seriously, if you cut yourself with a knife, scar tissue's not gonna stop that a second time.)

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that having scar tissue on a muscle is actually a detriment (as opposed to having zero effect at all) because it wouldn't give you any strength benefit.
Quote:
the micro-tears that form after lifting weights fill in with more muscle cells
Wrong, muscle cells stop dividing after a certain time (and I'm pretty sure it's before birth). One of the side effects of this is that you can't get muscle cancer. Iirc, muscle cells respond to stress by hypertrophy (which means they enlarge, not divide).

Quote:
So with a cut, instead of making the skin bigger or stronger as a whole, the scar fills in the cut with something called "fibroblasts" and collagen, which makes that specific location tougher and (slightly) more resistant to being injured again.
Not necessarily, some skin scars don't have to form properly (there could be loads of reasons for this, vitamin C deficiency can be one of them), making them even less resistant to stress that the skin they replaced. Also, they might not be just superficial, the fibrous tissue (the tissue scars are made of) can "grow" deeper, even into the muscle (think puncture wounds, or botched up stitches after invasive surgery), which can negatively affect motion, flexibility and strength.
  #6   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:31 AM

Flame is 100% correct.
  #7   Add to Bigm999's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Bigm999 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★whim★ View Post
Flame is 100% correct.
No. 75%, tops. 2 seconds on any search engine makes it very clear there are muscle cancers.
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:10 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Also, like with brain cells, research is showing that there ARE cases where muscle cells can divide, though less frequently than, say, skin or liver cells.
  #9   Add to wannabehuge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:02 PM

wannabehuge is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys!! That's a lot of information, and it's more than I thought I'd get back. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and explain it to me.
  #10   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm999 View Post
No. 75%, tops. 2 seconds on any search engine makes it very clear there are muscle cancers.
Actually from what my books say, it's extremely rare. So if it's rare then that most likely means you would have to have a predisposition (from genes) to actually get it. More than often it is benign, which is not cancer - just a noncancerous growth/tumor. Though I am sure steroid users may actually be more prone to it since an over abundance of HGH could trigger the growth of a tumor in between muscle fibers/on muscle fibers/somehow inside muscle fibers. It's still very rare no matter how they look at it.

So in short, it's really odd factors far outside the norm that can cause cancer to develop in skeletal muscles (like having an uncommon illness, wonky genes, etc).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options