The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:25 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Front squat agony

Hey all,

So as part of leg day, my personal trainer has started introducing front squats to my routine. For those who don't know, these are regular squats except that instead of supporting the bar across your back, you support the bar along your front, hopefully on massive shoulders. You can do it with your arms crossed to provide a sort of platform to support the bar, or another way that is really hard to describe in words.

It's supposed to be a great movement, because it shifts the focus of the muscles worked from the regular squat, and I am 100% on board with having it in my routine.

The problem is that I find them really uncomfortable and painful to do. My legs are fine, but the moment we put any weight at all on the bar, my shoulders are in agony, and I leave the gym with giant bruises on my shoulders/arms where they were supporting the bar. I also hate having a metal bar right up against my throat, so that plus the pain means that I'm distracted throughout the entire set, just trying to get it over-with instead of focusing on form and working my legs.

Anyone here use front squats? If so, are there any tips I can try to minimize the pain and discomfort? Will my shoulders eventually toughen up if I do these often enough? Is this just a "rite of passage" thing where front squats suck, and everyone has to deal with it, so suck it up?

Or, if you love front squats, can you tell me why? What's so great about them?

Other than the bruising, I think most of my discomfort is psychological, if I can become a front-squat convert, if anyone can help me "see the light" I think I'll be able or willing to work through the pain. I've played rugby for years, so obviously I'm not afraid of a few aches and pains.

*cue emotional violin music* I just want to know that I'm not alone!!!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to howardbeatman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM

howardbeatman is on a distinguished road
Try putting a towel across your shoulders and in front of your throat before you place the weight. That should relieve the problems you speak of. I found the hardest part of doing front squats was balance; the weight is in front of your center of gravity and you have to actively balance as you descend and ascend.
The Following User Says Thank You to howardbeatman For This Useful Post:
inm (April 10th, 2013)
  #3   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:58 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
try do them with just the bar to get use to the movement. then slowly add weight by the time you get to a 45lb plate on each side you should be ok
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:27 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
We do warm up with the bar and work up to a working weight (35-45lbs plates), but the heavier weights just get uncomfortable. Or did you mean do working sets with the bar and gradually move up to 45lb plates over several workouts?

howardbeatman, the towel idea sounds workable. Thanks!

Someone else on another forum suggested that I use straps (video ) so I'm going to try that first.
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Using straps for front squats

I haven't heard of this before. It looks like it might be worth a try. My only concern is that your arms and shoulders will fatigue, along with your quads, so I find myself wondering if this technique gives you a short window of time to do the set, then stop and rest, do another set, etc.

The videos are great, btw. I listened to another one on stretch marks and this guy has a whole series of workout videos.

thanks for the tip!

Mdlftr
  #6   Add to Muscled6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Muscled6ft3 is on a distinguished road
To add some fun and challenge, I do these with slightly less weight (~100 pounds) and a curling bar (curl it up to shoulders and hold it in place) but standing on a Bosu (half ball). Gotta work up the weight, but wicked good for core engagement, knee strength and balance (in addition to squats). Start with just the bar to train the muscles and motion, then work up the weight. Knees never go more than parallel to the floor, keep it slow and steady... best not to attempt in a crowded gym, but I've never wiped out. Leg night fun!
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
front squats

O.k., I'll admit I do squats holding a 45# plate to my chest while balancing on Bosu ball! THAT'S a challenge! Like Muscle6ft3 says, it's great for core, balance, back and knee strength!

Mdlftr

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options