The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Working with a partner less built than you

Hey everybody,

I just came back from a good first workout with someone I met on realjock, and we had a solid chest/back getting-to-know-you workout that I enjoyed quite a bit. Thing is, he's more advanced than I am, has been lifting for about 5 years consistently (I've been lifting for 2), and I got the sense that he was holding himself back throughout the workout, maybe so I wouldn't feel too weak, lol.

For me, it's almost an ideal situation, because he's someone I can learn from, and his conditioning is something that I can aim for for myself in two-three years, so that's very motivational...he used to be fat, so we have a lot of the same experiences.

But I wonder if he gets anything out of it, working out with somebody who's not quite as far along as he is.

So, for the more experienced lifters here, has anyone worked with a partner who was less experienced? What can the less experienced guy bring to the table?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus View Post
So, for the more experienced lifters here, has anyone worked with a partner who was less experienced? What can the less experienced guy bring to the table?
I'd suggest that it's not so much about what a less experienced guy can bring to the table, as much as the "pay it forward" situation. The more experienced guy was the less experienced guy at some time, too, most likely, and was able to learn from somebody. Now it's time for him to help someone - you. And you then, in a few years, help someone less experienced than you.

Besides which, there's always the positive feeling that you get from helping someone.

Plus, there's always something you can learn from other people. You may be less experienced, but that doesn't mean that every experience you've had, he has also already had.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aielyn For This Useful Post:
The Magus (June 19th, 2013)
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Its not about whether your workout partner is less built than you but whether he or she is as dedicated as you. I have worked out with huge guys who were lazy, showed up to the gym occasionally and generally were lame workout partners. I have also worked out with skinny newbies who lacked the same level of strength but they worked out with intensity and were dedicated--I would pick the dedicated partner any day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inflated For This Useful Post:
neuheimeer (June 25th, 2013), The Magus (June 22nd, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options