The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM

bulkybud is on a distinguished road
"Thanks for the Memories... the Muscle Memories, that is"

I had to take almost two months off of training due to respiratory issues (bronchitis, sinusitis, and other related problems) but now have been back for about 3 weeks.
I?ve been focused, training big (but smart- no stupid injuries for this boy!), eating big, and getting all the sleep I can.
And the strength is coming back fast and I?ve packed on about 5 lbs. in bodyweight. Thursday I managed 11 reps at a 225 lb. bench and one of my friends said, ?Hey! I thought you were going to take it easy while you?re getting back to it!?
I replied, ?I did 11 reps. When I can do 12 or more I?ll add weight. I call that taking a slow, careful approach. I?m not going to try any heavy singles for a long time.?
He agreed but mumbled that was more than he ever benches. I just thanked him for the support and DIDN?T add what I was thinking- that I used to warm up at this weight. I know this growth spurt will not last very long, but right now it is VERY cool.
Has anyone else here had to take time off training and then enjoyed that ever-so-brief time when muscle-memory helps you regain lost strength comparatively quickly?

bulkybud
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to bulkybud For This Useful Post:
stronguns (August 12th, 2013)
  #2   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Just to add: 3 weeks ago a mere three sets of benching 8-10 reps at 185 left me very sore then next day.

Now 3 sets of 8-12 reps at 225, the same workout at the Hammerstrength Chest Press, and 3 reps of 10 at 150 at the pec deck and I'm a little tight the next day, but not sore.

It's coming back.

Last edited by bulkybud; August 11th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bulkybud For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (August 11th, 2013)
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up I hear you....I'm there too, on the "coming back from an injury list"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkybud View Post
I had to take almost two months off of training due to respiratory issues (bronchitis, sinusitis, and other related problems) but now have been back for about 3 weeks.
I?ve been focused, training big (but smart- no stupid injuries for this boy!), eating big, and getting all the sleep I can.
And the strength is coming back fast and I?ve packed on about 5 lbs. in bodyweight. Thursday I managed 11 reps at a 225 lb. bench and one of my friends said, ?Hey! I thought you were going to take it easy while you?re getting back to it!?
I replied, ?I did 11 reps. When I can do 12 or more I?ll add weight. I call that taking a slow, careful approach. I?m not going to try any heavy singles for a long time.?
He agreed but mumbled that was more than he ever benches. I just thanked him for the support and DIDN?T add what I was thinking- that I used to warm up at this weight. I know this growth spurt will not last very long, but right now it is VERY cool.
Has anyone else here had to take time off training and then enjoyed that ever-so-brief time when muscle-memory helps you regain lost strength comparatively quickly?

bulkybud
Bulkybud,
Good for you! I've had several times in the last 2-3 years where I've had to take time off of lifting due to sickness or injury. My strength came back, but it took a while. I understand your frustration because you think, "Hey, I work out, I eat correctly, I try to get enough sleep and then....a delay because of illness, injury or crazy schedules! It's not fair! Whahhh!"

O.k., maybe your reaction is a bit more grown up than that, but you take my meaning.

BTW, I have to lay off shoulder and chest work right now because I injured my biceps tendons which run down from your shoulders. I start PT next week, and I have a month of PT before I can get back to chest and back work. Bummer! But I'll be back - better than ever!

Keep lifting!

Mdlftr
  #4   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
I understand your frustration because you think, "Hey, I work out, I eat correctly, I try to get enough sleep and then....a delay because of illness, injury or crazy schedules! It's not fair! Whahhh!"
I TOTALLY relate to that. Those two months when I knew that if I went into the gym coughing and hacking the other people in the gym, trying to be healthy, would probably have stoned me until I fled the gym with my germs. (Come to think of it, the only handy projectiles in the gym were Olympic weights so that could have gotten really ugly!)

Here I am crowing about my return while you are still facing setbacks... sorry about that.

But I will adjust your enthusiastic "Keep lifting!" (Thanks for that, by the way) to "Get back to it as soon as you can!"

bulkybud

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options