The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to GelbyKelplin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM

GelbyKelplin is on a distinguished road
Legs Training

I've been strength training for half a year now with very minimal progress, but progress nonetheless. I've ironed out most of the kinks in my regiment aside from one small issue: leg training.

I'm not in the position for a gym membership currently, so I do my workouts at home. I have a barbell and dumbells for upper body strength training, but the lower body, not so much. All I've had for training with my legs are squats with the barbell, and a bicycle. Setting the bike to high gear is a great way to get cardio in, but aside from the squats, I've little knowledge of how to train my legs.

Squats are good for the "Push" value of the equation, but should I include a "Pull" exercise as well, such as a Leg Curl? And if I should, how could I get it in without a gym? Any ideas? Or should I just stick with the "Powerlifting Trio"? Any advice for a beginner would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Suggestions for training legs and butt...

Try weighted lunges and squats. Trust me, your legs and butt will grow! It just takes a dedication to tell yourself you really really want this for yourself and work it into your schedule on a regular basis.

You don't need a squat rack for these exercises. The dumbbells will be helpful for resistance when you get there.

Remember, you're not planning on competing, you just want a more muscular butt for yourself. Just tell yourself to start off easy,
say, 1 set of bodyweight squats where you squat down, with good form, in front of a mirror for say, 10 reps to start. Then work up to two sets of 10 reps, using bodyweight. When that seems "easy" work up to 2 sets of 15 reps with bodyweight. Then try working up to 3 sets of 15 reps with bodyweight.

Once you've done that, try holding a weight plate to your chest, kind of like hugging school books to your chest. Try 20 pounds if you can, and go through the same progression: 1 set of 15 reps, then 2 sets of 15 reps and so on.

The whole point of progressive exercise is that you increase the load on your muscles over time, so that they adapt to the work and grow stronger and bigger to adapt to the work required.

You CAN do it. I've used a similar program and it has really worked for me!

Good luck!

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
When performing exercises such as squats, form is far more important than how much weight is used. You will get more growth out of lighter weight with impeccable form than heavy weight with sloppy form.
The Following User Says Thank You to inflated For This Useful Post:
an0n12 (October 8th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options