Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
This Forum: the good versus the bad

One of the things about this Forum that is really good:

1. The awesome original content that the members generate.

I'm talking about muscle growth stories by Aardvark 2, Kdmund, Reeza and Shaharazad to name a few.

I'm also talking about "Real Life Muscle growth experiences" by members who actually work out and grow, like Big guns, Jim USA (who started the thread) BulkyBud, Garrix, Strongguns, 1bigwoof, dodoria21, mdlftr, nnrg and others.

That's what puts the "muscle growth" in "The Evolution Forum".

2. One of the things that is "bad" about the Forum: {note: IRONY present here in use of the word "bad" with quotation marks.}

The quality of the stories is SO HIGH from a group of writers (Aardvark 2 and Reeza for example!) and the response is SO INTENSE (over 1,000 hits in 24 hours and dozens of "likes"), that for the rest of us it's pretty intimidating.

The high quality of writing from those really good writers emphasizes a few things for me:

A. I like the stories of authors like Aardvark 2 better than anything I write myself. I find myself thinking, "Why should I bother to write and submit anything, when, frankly, the quality of some of these other author's stories far surpasses mine? The time obviously spent on crafting these stories, the attention to detail, plot, characters and the inner lives of the characters makes those stories good reading."

I'll admit, for myself only, that most of my stories are fantasy scenarios of muscle growth that have little basis in reality. They're wish-fulfillment scenarios of muscle growth and male comraderie.

B. The high quality of stories from some authors underscores that a lot of the other stuff on here, is, frankly, crap. The crappy stuff has all the usual shortcomings: trite "story" consists of a heavily homoerotic plot with lots of emphasis on gay sex and zero muscle growth, and plenty of tense shifts, misspellings and boring characters. They all have names like "Trent" or "Brent" and they're all college students. I usually skim that stuff, and, hey, those authors are posting for the same reason I am: they feel inspired and they want to write a wish fulfillment story where there is a relationship between attractive characters.

Conclusion:

This site DOES generate a LOT of QUALITY original content. I really appreciate it AND I realize that my own contributions pale in contrast, but they do inspire me to do better.

This site has also, frankly, allowed me to work out some issues I have had over my own personal feelings about muscle growth and what that means to me in my own self-identity as a man, and, as someone who realizes the line between, "I want muscles for myself" versus "I want muscles on my sex partner".

This is also a place where you can post musings like this and get a discussion going or polite inattention, rather than "FLAME WARS"!

Thanks, Guys!

Mdlftr
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
an0n12 (October 19th, 2013), built_spill (October 20th, 2013), CelticMuscle (October 19th, 2013), Lucas88 (October 19th, 2013), Reeza (October 21st, 2013), stronguns (October 20th, 2013)
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
http://www.facebook.com/arpeejay

Last edited by arpeejay; Yesterday at 03:13 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arpeejay For This Useful Post:
GTlifter (October 19th, 2013), Lucas88 (October 19th, 2013), Stoneman (October 19th, 2013)
  #3   Add to scarletic's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Akuma no Ai

scarletic is on a distinguished road
I like how you put more emphasis on the bad of the forums rather than the good of it.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
You've inspired me to write a series about a couple of horndog college students named Trent and Brent! Remember, it's on YOUR head! :-)

xoxo

Richard
Ok, RPJ, if you pick up the gauntlet:

1. Don't be boring, and

2. Have muscle growth!

Have at it!
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Last edited by arpeejay; Yesterday at 03:12 AM.
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Aside from one or two, when did I ever write a story that didn't have muscle growth?!

Boring, on the other hand...

xoxo

Richard

Too true!

1. Check - you've gotten the muscle growth all right!

2. "Boring" - Well, don't name any one in your next story "Roger". Don't have him be a "musclebear-librarian-powerlifter-with-amazing-growth-capabilities"!

3. I'll try to write enough stories myself to HAVE a "trend" or "type"!

#7   Add to howardbeatman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM

howardbeatman is on a distinguished road
The later author Theodore Sturgeon coined what has become known as 'Sturgeon's Law': "90% of everything is crap". This is NOT a criticism - he meant that only 10% of ANYTHING is good but you still need that 90% of crap in order to have the 10% that's good. For every great TV show like THE WALKING DEAD you've got to have nine more like the IRONSIDE reboot. It's a part of life.
  #8   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM

Last edited by arpeejay; Yesterday at 03:12 AM.
  #9   Add to LeatherGryphon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM

LeatherGryphon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
B. The high quality of stories from some authors underscores that a lot of the other stuff on here, is, frankly, crap. ... Mdlftr
An observation of a long life: Ninety percent of everything created by mankind is crap. Just learn to appreciate, and strive to become, the 10%.

Edited to add: after reading the rest of this thread. Oh! Cool! "Theodore Sturgeon" That's where I got that wisdom. Must have been so long ago that I forgot having read it. Just goes to prove that there are no original ideas anymore! :-( I've just lived by that "crap" philosophy for decades, it works well, and explains a lot of observations. :-0

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; October 19th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
  #10   Add to M4M's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM

M4M is on a distinguished road
Only complaint I have is that seems too many forum members are passive observers and not actively involved in any way with MG as either chasers/ growers or bbers.
If you're not in the gym building muscle yourself then actively sponsor/ or encourage someone who is.
Sponsorship could mean provide cash, meals or supps.
Encourage by giving motivational support, muscle worship or any other non-financial service to keep your dude building muscle.
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM

How's that again?

Quote:
4. "Roger" is Everyman. He will continue to appear as long as I have fingers to type.

5. Yes, work on that!

6. Ha, I say, Ha!

xoxo

Richard
So, according to you, "Everyman" is a "musclebear-librarian-powerlifter-with-amazing-growth-capabilities"!

Yeah, right!
  #12   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Last edited by arpeejay; Yesterday at 03:11 AM.
  #13   Add to vlad's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM

vlad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Too true!

1. Check - you've gotten the muscle growth all right!

2. "Boring" - Well, don't name any one in your next story "Roger". Don't have him be a "musclebear-librarian-powerlifter-with-amazing-growth-capabilities"!

3. I'll try to write enough stories myself to HAVE a "trend" or "type"!

Wait wait wait, there is a story with a "musclebear-librarian-powerlifter-with-amazing-growth-capabilities"?? Or is this hypothetical? If it's still hypothetical, what are you waiting for, get writing!
  #14   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM

Last edited by arpeejay; Yesterday at 03:11 AM.
  #15   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM

suma is on a distinguished road
^is that so bad?
Sounds like a hot premise. A bookish quasi nerdy librarian who took up strength training at his well equipped home gym who morphs into this hyper-masculine muscle bull but still retains his shy bookish nature.
  #16   Add to goremeridian's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM

goremeridian is on a distinguished road
Wow, hot topic. I'm on the verge of contributing my first couple of stories and I have to agree with some of what Mdlftr wrote. It IS intimidating for new writers as some of you guys are exceptionally talented! The important thing though is that you're inspirational too; you make me want to be a better writer. As for the "crap", I think it depends what mood you're in. Sometimes you're up for a really engrossing tale, other times you just want to get off quickly by reading about hyper muscular, super-hung college students called Brent!
The Following User Says Thank You to goremeridian For This Useful Post:
Reeza (October 21st, 2013)
  #17   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM

True 'dat!

Quote:
Md thinks ALL of my stories are about "musclebear-librarian-powerlifters-with-amazing-growth-capabilities" but I'm not sure that's not the case! :-)

xoxo

Richard
Wait, are we talking about your STORIES, or was that YOU I was thinking of?

I think my latest characters dropped a weight on my head....

Mdlftr
  #18   Add to LeatherGryphon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM

LeatherGryphon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4M View Post
Only complaint I have is that seems too many forum members are passive observers and not actively involved in any way with MG as either chasers/ growers or bbers. ... .
See previous posts about the 10%.

Besides, there are no rules about passive observers.
  #19   Add to Kit Werecat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM

Kit Werecat is on a distinguished road
Evolving on the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon View Post
An observation of a long life: Ninety percent of everything created by mankind is crap. Just learn to appreciate, and strive to become, the 10%.
Offering my humble view on the matter, I think a lot of members of this Forum are focusing their hearts and minds too much inwards. It often takes on all the appearances of attempting to publicly impress. Try shifting more outwards with thoughts and ideas.

Simply try to do the best you honestly can, then try to do even better the next time, by detecting the shortcomings from the earlier effort. In many ways this is like self-improvement and body-building. Mistakes will be slightly painful, but the next time you will find things somewhat less difficult. No Pain, No Gain.

By approaching the on-going events in these situations to be more like opportunities to achieve new Personal Bests, you may find yourself continually improving in strength, fitness and muscularity on the physical level. The same can be said with perception, awareness, and creativity on the mental levels.

Additionally, over time, I feel the Evolution Forum has given individuals like myself the chance to (appropriately enough) GROW, and in more ways than one. For that reason, it is appropriately named.

While discovering new ideas and points-of-view, I also get the chance (and considerable pleasure) to enjoy the extensive works of my peers.

So I find the Forum a place to EVOLVE personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kit Werecat For This Useful Post:
Reeza (October 21st, 2013)
  #20   Add to Reeza's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM
Reasonably Insane

Thanked 2,315 Times in 193 Posts
Reeza will become famous soon enough
Hmmm

Quote:
I find myself thinking, "Why should I bother to write and submit anything, when, frankly, the quality of some of these other author's stories far surpasses mine? The time obviously spent on crafting these stories, the attention to detail, plot, characters and the inner lives of the characters makes those stories good reading."

I'll admit, for myself only, that most of my stories are fantasy scenarios of muscle growth that have little basis in reality. They're wish-fulfillment scenarios of muscle growth and male comraderie.
Mdlftr, I appreciate what you're saying (and the compliments) but you're comparing apples to oranges. There are different kinds of stories for different purposes, moods and tastes. This reminds me of my frustration with the Academy Awards. How do you compare Django Unchained to The Place Beyond The Pines?

One of the reasons you and other writers should keep writing in your own style is to give me something to read when I need a break from writing. I often look for stories that are completely different from my own story because that's what I want at the moment. Your recent chapter of Sunday Afternoon at the Gym gave me exactly what I wanted the other day. I've also been re-reading AKA's Teen Transform 'The College Years' recently. The relentlessly hot sexual activity in stories like these is exactly what I like when I'm looking for release.

I'm sure many readers gave up on The Gardener after the intro to the first chapter. It's not the sort of story that most people come here for. At the end of any given chapter, readers are likely to be crying rather than ejaculating. Maybe your stories don't get as many comments because your readers are busy wiping up their splooge, while mine are calling their Moms and scheduling with their therapists.

If I were trying to write more like other writers on the forum, I wouldn't be writing The Gardener. Please keep writing what you like to write in your own style and make the scenarios as unrealistic and fantastical as you want.

I'll be waiting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reeza For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (October 22nd, 2013), nvb2 (November 5th, 2013)
  #21   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM

[One of the reasons you and other writers should keep writing in your own style is to give me something to read when I need a break from writing. I often look for stories that are completely different from my own story because that's what I want at the moment. "Your recent chapter of Sunday Afternoon at the Gym gave me exactly what I wanted the other day."]

Thanks! (I think)

[I've also been re-reading AKA's Teen Transform 'The College Years' recently. The relentlessly hot sexual activity in stories like these is exactly what I like when I'm looking for release.]

o.k. then!

[I'm sure many readers gave up on The Gardener after the intro to the first chapter. It's not the sort of story that most people come here for. At the end of any given chapter, readers are likely to be crying rather than ejaculating. Maybe your stories don't get as many comments because your readers are busy wiping up their splooge, while mine are calling their Moms and scheduling with their therapists.]

Bwahahaha! I laughed out loud at this one!

[If I were trying to write more like other writers on the forum, I wouldn't be writing The Gardener. Please keep writing what you like to write in your own style and make the scenarios as unrealistic and fantastical as you want.

I'll be waiting.]

...And I'll be writing!

Thanks for the compliments!!

Personally, I can't wait to see what happens next to "The Gardener"!

I have NO IDEA what Andy and Matt will be up to next time!

Mdlftr
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
Reeza (October 22nd, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode