You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to goremeridian's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM

goremeridian is on a distinguished road
Getting huge: not popular?

Hi there. Been working out and involved in this site (in a lovin'-it-and-will-post-stories-soon-I-promise-kind-of-way) for a few months now, and my self-confidence has risen to the extent that I can josh with a couple of the guys at the gym and not be terrified what they might think of me (physically & psychologically.)

I was there Friday and Saturday last week, and tonight, and each time had the opportunity to share a few words with a couple of the big guys. The gym's pretty empty from 8 onwards (and all day Sat) so it's not that difficult to have a conversation. It's just starting it up that's nerve-wracking.

Anyway...I was able to bend the conversation round - with four different guys - to size, and in a sort of tongue-in-cheek fashion asked how big they would get if they could. And you know what?

All gave me sensible answers. Damn it.

I even pushed for the "honestly - if there were no boundaries at all" answer, but none of them wanted to get "huge". One guy (an ex-policeman, in his 40s and freaking massive) actually thought I was taking the piss!

It was kind of a wake-up call. Are we living in a total fantasy world with these stories we write and enjoy - or are there actually people out there who would love to get as big as possible?

I wanted to throw this one out to the community: please restore my faith in bodybuilders. Some of you DO want to get insanely huge, with biggest-bodybuilder-on-the-planet ambitions, right?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to an0n12's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Mobility is for wimps.

an0n12 is on a distinguished road
Everyone has their tastes man be it something more normal of more fantasy like. I'm one of the guys who wants to get so big he would make Ronnie Coleman at his best quiver in fear due to my very presence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to an0n12 For This Useful Post:
cutlerfan (November 5th, 2013), retro500 (November 5th, 2013)
  #3   Add to nzbodybuilder's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM

nzbodybuilder is on a distinguished road
Of course there are plenty of guys out there that want to get massive. Myself included. So huge I'm nearly immobile with muscular mass!

Just remember buddy, you only asked four guys. I'm sure if you asked 1,000 guys at 100 different gyms you'd get more telling you they want to get as massive as possible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nzbodybuilder For This Useful Post:
an0n12 (November 5th, 2013), cutlerfan (November 5th, 2013), retro500 (November 5th, 2013), worshipper (November 6th, 2013)
  #4   Add to schwermarko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM

schwermarko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to schwermarko
It seems to me that most people have a practical plan, and still seem to get a gleam in there eye when talking about getting huge. but then I hang with some huge dudes, most of whom don't think about themselves that way to begin with.

So nobody thinks its odd that I want to eventually go SHW, just remember for us powerlifters thats 308+ pounds, and normally 320-360# although there are a few 400+ guys that are still prety solid.
The Following User Says Thank You to schwermarko For This Useful Post:
cutlerfan (November 5th, 2013)
  #5   Add to GenevaCarlson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:08 AM

GenevaCarlson is on a distinguished road
yes, I agree

too huge will scare other people
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Fantasy and motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremeridian View Post
guys - and in a sort of tongue-in-cheek fashion asked how big they would get if they could. And you know what?

All gave me sensible answers. Damn it.

I even pushed for the "honestly - if there were no boundaries at all" answer, but none of them wanted to get "huge". One guy (an ex-policeman, in his 40s and freaking massive) actually thought I was taking the piss!

It was kind of a wake-up call. Are we living in a total fantasy world with these stories we write and enjoy - or are there actually people out there who would love to get as big as possible?

I wanted to throw this one out to the community: please restore my faith in bodybuilders. Some of you DO want to get insanely huge, with biggest-bodybuilder-on-the-planet ambitions, right?
I guess there is the fantasy and the reality. Most guys who WANT muscle for themselves, and who also enjoy seeing it on others, know from practical experience how hard it is to build ANY muscle, let alone "super sized muscle". Personally, I'm bigger than I've ever been in my life and, when I stop and think about my level of development from where I started, I'm light-years ahead of my old self. Still, I'm alternately happy with my progress to date, yet dissatisfied because it's not as big as I want to be. I also realize how consistent and committed you have to be to see the progress, and how everything has to line up: your health, your schedule, your desire - everything!

Fantasy can be fun, but the "sensible" answer helps you keep persevering. Rather than beat yourself up because you're not hyooge yet, it's better to be more realistic, but secretly tell yourself "....and a little bit bigger after that."

Mdlftr

Last edited by Mdlftr; November 8th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
chicken legs (November 23rd, 2013), nzbodybuilder (November 8th, 2013)
  #7   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:33 AM

suma is on a distinguished road
There are def tons of guy out there that wanna get huge.
Even fantasy world huge. Think Rich Piana, Valentino, Hollibaugh and others.
Can't wait to see how far the next generation pushes it.
So faith restored.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to suma For This Useful Post:
chicken legs (November 23rd, 2013), dominicrue (November 8th, 2013), schwermarko (November 9th, 2013), toby182 (November 8th, 2013)
  #8   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:34 PM

bulkybud is on a distinguished road
I want to get really big. Absolutely.

Chants during the car ride to the gym include: "Big _____, massive ______, ginormous _____"... fill in the blank with the bodyparts being worked that day.

bulkybud
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bulkybud For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (November 16th, 2013), worshipper (November 17th, 2013)
  #9   Add to chicken legs's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
shake and bake

chicken legs is on a distinguished road
Well...your questioning reality vs. fantasy. When guys are already bigger than most people IRL..they are not wanting to get much bigger. The reality of being huge has already effected them and they already know the difficulties in being huge vs. a small guy who just dreams about it and doesn't realize all the things it includes.
  #10   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:34 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken legs View Post
Well...your questioning reality vs. fantasy. When guys are already bigger than most people IRL..they are not wanting to get much bigger. The reality of being huge has already effected them and they already know the difficulties in being huge vs. a small guy who just dreams about it and doesn't realize all the things it includes.
Chicken legs, you obviously do not know much about bodybuilders if you think they don't want to get bigger. You are right that they have developed bigorexia, but they never feel like they are 'big' or 'huge'. I actually know a few guys that lift and have changed physically and they never feel like they are big enough. They want to keep growing and never stop.

I'm not saying you are completely wrong, i'm just saying you must not know very many guys that lift.
  #11   Add to chicken legs's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM
shake and bake

chicken legs is on a distinguished road
I'm no spring chicken. I grew up with 5 bodybuilding brothers (all way older than me), had bodybuilding boyfriends, just got my current bf into bodybuilding (he's a beast..so i'm curious to see if he can do strongman as well) and dabbled in it myself. So my perspective is not from being around those who still say "I want to be huge" but from those who already accomplished it and say "I'm huge and I have other responsibilities and things I want to do"..perspective. Its get to a point to where you focus on strength and stamina, not just size.
  #12   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
Hehe okay, i just never hear that from anyone. It is interesting to see someone else with a different perspective.
  #13   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
SamChinCarter

Men's Physique Competitor here.

I dream of getting huge. As big as possible. I don't simply want to compete in Men's Physique and stop growing there. No, I want to conquer it, and get bigger and bigger. I've discussed it with others before and it really comes down to this:

"I love training, I love the gym and love everything about what it brings to my life. So why would I at some point say 'nope, that's enough'. I'll never be satisfied".

Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't agree and getting that huge really is a huge task on the wallet as well. But given the means? Hell yeah I'd want to get as huge as possible.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options