The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to petercbb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:17 AM

petercbb
Shoulder Impingement/Rotator Cuff

Anyone has any suggestions on what to do with shoulder impingement. My right shoulder has the tendon impinged. Physio has given me stretching exercises to try and loosen my pec to release some of the pressure and also some rotator cuff exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joint.

Has anyone else had this and what were the solutions that worked for you?

I want to avoid cortisone if I can!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to schwermarko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:27 AM

schwermarko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to schwermarko
you will want to keep those stretches in your routine even after you no longer feel the issue.

the other thing to work in is stability work on the bench press, i use the bamboo bar myself (mine's actually a closet pole).

http://youtu.be/uuU4GojGdkE
  #3   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
You have to remember your shoulder joint is very shallow. its important that you have to lift biomechinally and watch your form and control on all your execises involving your shoulder. this should include chest and back and shoulders themselves. also you may have to see a massage theperist to help you get for flexability on your shoulders.
  #4   Add to petercbb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM

petercbb
Thanks guys. All useful. Can't wait to get back training heavy, but that probably has to wait.
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:16 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Shoulder

I've had PT performed since summer on my shoulder. I am also doing the exercises - bands, light dumbbells and stretching. It takes a looong time to work through the pain, but everything does help.

I'll admit I have a bad attitude about the whole thing - I was concentrating on chest this year. I did a lot of pushups, flyes, presses, inclines, etc. Combining this with back work - rows, deadlifts, pulldown, etc. all helped my posture and strength and size. The reality is that my shoulder got over worked and it is aggravated/inflamed. I also have bad posture in front of the computer at work and how I slept on that shoulder consistently and it all adds up to shoulder pain. I'm now improving all that. Part of the solution is glasses for when I use the computer so I don't lean forward and roll my shoulder forward.

It takes a while to work out the various causes of the pain and improve them. I'm impatient and pissed that my shoulder hurts, but I have to rehab it or it won't get better.

Good luck, from one who's there now!

Mdlftr
  #6   Add to petercbb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM

petercbb
Thanks Mdlftr, it's good to know that there is some hope. I spoke to my physio this morning and it was quite depressing as he said I needed to prepare myself for not being able to lift heavy anymore.

Well, I'm not ready to accept that yet and will continue with the various things suggested and working round the injury and see how that goes.

Thanks for the comments.

P
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Work around the doc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercbb View Post
Thanks Mdlftr, it's good to know that there is some hope. I spoke to my physio this morning and it was quite depressing as he said I needed to prepare myself for not being able to lift heavy anymore.

Well, I'm not ready to accept that yet and will continue with the various things suggested and working round the injury and see how that goes.

Thanks for the comments.

P
....see if you can get him to give you a referral to a physical therapist (PT) so your insurance will pay for it. The PT will know how to rehab a shoulder and give you exercises for it. Docs tend to take the attitude, "If I can't cut it or medicate it, there's no hope for the patient."

Been there, doing that!

Mdlftr
  #8   Add to petercbb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM

petercbb
Thanks, my physio is giving me lots of stretching movement to create more space between the clavicle and scapula. Hoping its going to help.
  #9   Add to schwermarko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM

schwermarko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to schwermarko
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercbb View Post

Thanks for the comments.

P
When I have medical people of any stripe who don't match their strategy to my priorities, they get replaced. I have no time or trust for anyone who is going to tell me not to lift, or that I won't ever be able to again. Unless you have radically understated your problem, there is no reason it should even be a major issue if handled properly. You need to look for someone who understands that athletes are different, and are willing to work hard and endure pain to achieve goals.

You may also wish to try using something like a ram or a slingshot, when you start to bench again.

There are people with much worse issues moving spectacular amounts of weight. Granted, most people would rather have and use the excuse and stop, rather than learn, work, and suffer to be extraordinary. I'm going to trust that you aren't "most people," and end my pep talk here.
  #10   Add to petercbb's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM

petercbb
Thanks for that.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size