The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 2.88 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
The Inspiration.

achilles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to achilles Send a message via MSN to achilles Send a message via Yahoo to achilles
Talking My transformation - One Year and 60lb of Muscle Later!

Hey there,

This is my first post on these boards - long time lurker. But I'm on the cusp of celebrating one year since I first started bodybuilding with the aim of getting HUGE and well... it's been such an incredible journey, I thought you guys might like to hear about it!

My stats on September 15th 2006 were:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 163lb
Arm (flexed): 14"
BF: 12%

As you might imagine by looking at those numbers, I was skinny like a rake. Always had been - if I was ever teased at school, it was because compared to the other boys, I was a stick. But even from a young age, I dreamed of putting that behind me - becoming huge like the bodybuilders I admired in muscle mags. Thing was I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. Those guys had genes I didn't, right? I would have loved to have joined a gym, but I had no confidence in my body. Flash forward to 2006, and even co-workers are still making mention of how skinny I was. So I decided - I've had this dream long enough, it was time to do something about it!

I don't know quite how to preface the result of my first year's training, so I'll just start off with the stats. As of today, my stats are:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 220lb
Arm (Flexed): 18"
BF: 14%

And here is my BEFORE and AFTER photo to show you what that looks like!
http://pics.livejournal.com/ccroft/pic/000ahch7

Before: March 2006: 155lb, 13.75 inch arms. After: May 2007: 205lb, 17.5 inch arms

To say I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd get so big, so fast would be an understatement! When I started training last year, honest to god, I said to myself "Hm, I don't want to be unrealistic. I'll aim for 18" arms by the time I'm 30." After two months of working out at home though with free weights, I knew I was on to something, as by November my arms had gotten to 16". I posted a video on YouTube showing off my guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nuHW1dcOc), and the response was really encouraging!

But a lot of other muscles werent developing at all - there's only so much you can do at home. So in order to take my physique and training to the next level, I did what was for me, the unthinkable... I joined a gym! It was a big deal for me when I signed up on December the 1st, and I was nervous as heck - but luckily for me I found a great place, and met the incredibly friendly owner who was an ex-champion competitive bodybuilder himself. The real training began!

Over the next few months my muscles continued responding to all the training and GROWING like crazy - I was going five days a week, eating loads. Often I get up at 3am to train before starting work. I began posting bi-monthly bodybuilding progress updates on my YouTube account (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=croftinnz) and people watched me grow! Before I knew it I was swelling up to 180lb, then 190lb, and finally in March I broke the 200lb barrier, with peaked arms at 17"! But I didn't rest on my laurels and just the other day I got a measurement of 18" after an arm workout. Goal achieved 7 years early!

In real life though, to say others have 'noticed' the change though would be an understatement. People sure do take notice when you suddenly change and pack on so much muscle so fast! As I mentioned in my bodybuilding blog the other day, I have so many stories to share now about comments on my new size that I could fill pages every week. Customers, co-workers began to make comments about December - the kind of totally without prompting "Hey, you've been working out!" kind of stuff. Its been a steady progression of more and more remarks since then, and nowadays the common reaction from people I knew is one of disbelief - especially if they haven't seen me for awhile! Some people keep saying they think I'm on steroids, and they don't believe me when I tell them I'm not! Others ask me when I'm going to compete myself. Some people will feel my arms when they talk about how big I'm getting - totally without asking I might add! Random comments from strangers in the street? You bet! One time I was just walking to work in the summertime - and as a car full of teenagers cruised past, they started yelling out "Ahnold! Ahnuuuullld!" It took me awhile to wonder what they were doing - my name isn't Arnold! But then I realised they were comparing me to Mr. Schwartzenegger himself. Not bad for a guy who was being called skinny still just the previous year.

One of the last highlights of my transformation I have to mention is how my wardrobe has changed. I used to wear size M t-shirts as standard. Then they started getting TOO tight - so I started buying size L. But, seriously, I began getting too big for those! These days its XL as standard. My old clothes look like they belong to my nonexistent little brother. Just recently I reached a GREAT milestone, and I busted the sleeve of one of my old size L shirts with a bicep flex - it's been viewed 21,000+ times on YouTube, maybe some of you guys have seen it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGalZ1IdwXU

In short - its all been a dream come true. In April next year I'm going to break another previously unthinkable barrier, and compete for the first time. I've been building size and mass so far, but I'm not far off switching my focus to getting ripped. And I'm not going to stop bodybuilding - no way! If this is what I can do with one year, give me two, give me three... give me the lifetime I have ahead of me! There's no such thing as too big in my book. My BF has enjoyed the transformation too ;-)

That's about it. Sorry this post was so long, but I've been meaning to write it for awhile. I've also kept a photo progress gallery of the last year (pretty much) at http://pics.livejournal.com/ccmuscle/.

Peace,
- Croftinnz (Achilles).
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Londonboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Thicker is Best

Thanked 2,277 Times in 227 Posts
Londonboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Londonboy
Amazing

Achilles,

To say you look fantastic is an understatement. To say "job well done" does not come close to capturing the awe you have inspired. I hope you know that your story, your sharing, and your achievements will help many other people to continue to aim for their goals. Congratulations and keep up the awesome work.

Londonboy
  #3   Add to indygary's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM

indygary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to indygary Send a message via Yahoo to indygary
awesome change, congrats. i've been following your videos for a while now. added you on LJ.
  #4   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Achilles

Hello Achilles,

I've followed your youtube progress for awhile. It's great to know that you've been on the forum here as well. Thanks for taking the time to post and introduce yourself to the others who weren't acquainted with you yet.

Your dedication to the iron is evident. Seeing the pics makes your transformation all the more enjoyable. I look forward to continuing to follow your transformation to hugeness. 18" down...20" to go! Keep up the good work!
  #5   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Awesome work dude -- but I invite you to think about sticking it out in the gym and in the kitchen for another year before you think about competing. Not because you can't do it or don't have the looks/muscles for it, but because competing takes away from your muscle growth for 3-6 months! Go for more size and mass FIRST, dude. Then show the world your stuff another year from now -- after you truly know you ARE a bodybuilder for yourself FIRST and for OTHERS second.
  #6   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
Achilles aka Croftinnz.. I have been watching your progress on youtube and I am also amazed at your rapid growth. Looks like you found the right mix to take a very solid body and turjn it into a very powerful and muscular body builder to be... keep up the great work, and keep going a bit longer..more mass, always more mass, then rip it down to shreds and you will have great success.
  #7   Add to nvb2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM

nvb2 is on a distinguished road
Very inspiring, and an awesome change. Good luck for your future goals and progress.
  #8   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Congratulations on your transformation Croftinnz. Like a couple of other guys here, I too have been following your progress on YouTube, which has been phenomenal to say the least. Thanks for sharing your experiences which I'm sure has been and will be an inspiration to others.
  #9   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
It's great to see you here, Croft. As with so many others, I've been following your progress avidly. You're our own musclegrowth fantasy come to life and the longer you keep it up, the happier we'll be! I'm looking forward to seeing you at 300 lbs. in about a year and a half!

xoxo

Richard
  #10   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Wow!

Totally amazing transformation. Keep growing!

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #11   Add to Speaker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Speaker is on a distinguished road
Keep it up and keep us all posted! I for one wanna see you hit 250!
  #12   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM
The Inspiration.

Send a message via AIM to achilles Send a message via MSN to achilles Send a message via Yahoo to achilles
Thanks & MORE MASS!

Wow, thanks for all the replies so far! I didn't know how my post would go down. Amazing that so many of you had already picked me up on YouTube!

Like I said before, its early days for my bodybuilding and growth so far, and I'm really excited about the possibilities (and stats) that lie ahead!

I'm not planning on cutting until about January 08 - that gives me another solid 4-5 months of bulking and building mass yet! I want to continue to get bigger and bigger continually too, but there WILL come a point when shedding some fat will have to take place... sigh! Getting bigger is so much fun ;-) But to be honest, a year's mass building cycle +60lb, with only a 2% change in BF? I'm certainly happy about that! I just want to get my feet wet with my first comp - it'd be easy to put it off for ages and keep chickening out ;-) But by the time I enter I'll have been training for about a year and a half solidly - doesn't feel so early. I have a couple of coaches at the gym - those ex-champion bodybuilders I talked about - who are helping me prep, and they were trying to encourage me to enter a comp this August (Just gone last weekend actually). I definitely wanted to give myself more time though, and I think it's gonna pay off - we'll see come April 08!

For my first anniversary, I was aiming to be 220lb, and I met that - though when I set my goal last year, it was 200lb (and had to revise it upwards!). Now I'm aiming to be at 240lb this time in 2008, but I keep surprising myself, so who knows! ;-)

I'll leave you with one last little fun factoid - my close family, my parents and sister, uncles and aunts etc live on the other side of the world, since I emmigrated to New Zealand a few years ago. They only get to see me every few years, we correspond via phone and email, and they last saw me Feb 2006. I have been DELIBERATELY keeping my bodybuilding & transformation a secret from them... so that when I return home in 2008 (December), they will get the SURPRISE OF THEIR LIFE !

Peace,
Croftinnz

P.S. Any questions or requests, just hit me up! I love to talk and share :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to achilles For This Useful Post:
bigbbny (April 5th, 2014)
  #13   Add to not2bright's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:05 AM

not2bright is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Croft, I've been following your progress on YouTube for a while now. You've made some great progress and are a true inspiration.

Keep it up!
  #14   Add to Jace's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM

Jace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jace
Talking

That is so awesome! Congrats on all of your success!
  #15   Add to jackedgunz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:19 AM

jackedgunz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jackedgunz
Wow

All I can say is un freakin believable. How much time do u spend workin out during a week? Keep up the great work!
  #16   Add to thufirhawat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
(Lower) muscle lover

thufirhawat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to thufirhawat Send a message via AIM to thufirhawat Send a message via MSN to thufirhawat Send a message via Yahoo to thufirhawat Send a message via Skype™ to thufirhawat
Wow...very nice and impressing work on the muscle take! Keep on the great transformations!!!

and thanks for sharing it with us
  #17   Add to SteepMike81's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM

SteepMike81 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SteepMike81
buddy, that is totally awesome and VERY inspiring for us little guys who are looking to gain muscle. keep up the good work!
  #18   Add to Bazorba's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Bazorba
Send a message via AIM to Bazorba Send a message via MSN to Bazorba Send a message via Yahoo to Bazorba
Another one here who has been following your progress on YouTube, and I am impressed.

I also read your stuff on LJ, and you are as eloquent as you are handsome/beautiful/whatever you want to call it
  #19   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
What's "L J"?

xoxo

richard
  #20   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
What's "L J"?
LiveJournal.

http://ccroft.livejournal.com/
http://ccmuscle.livejournal.com/
  #21   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The Inspiration.

LJ? Aiee!

Heh, well, there go my blog addresses.

Welcome to anyone who adds me on LJ. I think the CCroft one in particular demonstrates there's more to my life than muscle, as some might be led to believe! My first calling was as a writer anyway... but muscle has attracted me more of a following, somehow
  #22   Add to msclundylvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM

msclundylvr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msclundylvr Send a message via Skype™ to msclundylvr
Achilles, I'm curious. You look so fantastic and your progress is simply amazing, but what is your "Achilles heel." I mean seriously, you are quite the stud. Could you possibly have a flaw like the myth?
  #23   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msclundylvr
Achilles, I'm curious. You look so fantastic and your progress is simply amazing, but what is your "Achilles heel." I mean seriously, you are quite the stud. Could you possibly have a flaw like the myth?
Oh god! If I have a fatal flaw, it must surely be reading The Evolution Forum too much now. This site has always been right up my alley... and aware of that, I probably only looked at it once every six months.

But since posting this thread, I've been back more... (often checking in the morning before training). And of course, I can't resist perusing the MGS section... and then suddenly, I don't want to go to the gym anymore. I tend to get *ahem* pre-occupied. So in answer to your inquiry, if I have a flaw, its enjoying Muscle Growth too much ;-)

As the bonus aside, I actually first picked up the nick 'Achilles' for online use, because I thought Brad Pitt in that role in the movie Troy was the hottest thing ever. True!

--
Training Since: September 15th 2006
Muscle-lover Since: Birth!
  #24   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
I'll add my congratulations too. Quite a remarkable change and I'm glad that you decided to show it off here where it would be most appreciated! Pretty cool when you can be your own muscle growth story. Good luck!
  #25   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:51 AM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Talking one more voice in the chorus

Hey Achilles,

Will just add my voice to the chorus here and say congratulations on your remarkable transformation -- like so many here, I've been watching for a while on YouTube, but it's always interesting to get the backstory.

Thanks so much for posting, and here's looking forward to that 240# goal next: after that, the sky's the limit!

- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
The Following User Says Thank You to massingUP For This Useful Post:
Apex (September 17th, 2013)
  #26   Add to msclundylvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM

msclundylvr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msclundylvr Send a message via Skype™ to msclundylvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles

As the bonus aside, I actually first picked up the nick 'Achilles' for online use, because I thought Brad Pitt in that role in the movie Troy was the hottest thing ever. True!

Well, I believe I know what movie I will be renting next...
  #27   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Your 'before' image looks exactly like me right now. I just started really trying to do something about it, and if I still needed motivation you certainly provided that here!

Awesome. Congrats!
  #28   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
WHoah!

Achilles!

I just came across this whole string and read back and to the LJ strings.

Your size and Strength gains are AMAZING! It's great to read and see such amazingly quick progress such as yours! I'm 6'3" myself and weighed around 150# at your age. I'm around 206# now in my late 40s and, while I don't work out as often or as consistently as you do (job, family, many other demands on my time), I am still making progress. It's taken me 20+ years to get to this point, with lots of digressions along the way. Your posts "sort of" answer the question, "what would happen if I lifted really consistently and focused exclusively on getting bigger."

Good luck with your future progress!

Mdlftr
  #29   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Good Work!

Hello Achilles,

I just stumbled across your post, and all I can say is congrats!! Isn't it the greatest feeling to get to that goal, and an even greater excitement to plot and plan to grow bigger and bigger still?

I know the feeling all too well...... it's FANTASTIC!

Keep us posted and keep getting bigger and better for many many years to come!

Max Lifts!

Ron IIII------IIII

http://start.at/ronsplace
  #30   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The Inspiration.

Thanks again everybody :-)

I just dropped by this thread again because I just passed the official one-year training anniversary (Sept 15th), and I put together this image as a comparison. Here ya go :-)

http://pics.livejournal.com/ccroft/pic/000bczx6

Still feels like I'm dreaming sometimes... never expected this kind of size change to happen to ME

--
Training Since: September 15th 2006
Muscle-lover Since: Birth!
  #31   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
DAMN!!!! That's awesome.... Love the fact that you are wearing the same necklace, but it is much tighter on you in the second pic...

Keep it up big guy!
  #32   Add to bigbearny's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:34 AM

bigbearny
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbearny
Dude! you're a beast! and damned sexy too
  #33   Add to WorshipMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:10 AM

WorshipMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WorshipMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to WorshipMuscle
Congratulations Bro!
Your gains are amazing. Must feel awesome with that muscle you've got.
Keep going.
  #34   Add to hulkoutlvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:17 AM

hulkoutlvr is on a distinguished road
Incredible!

OMG, how hot is that? WOW! You are definitely a hottie, and cute as hell to boot! I too love the comparison of the necklace in both pics. Now if we could just get you to model one of your pre-bodybuilding shirts for us. . . .
  #35   Add to vlad's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM

vlad is on a distinguished road
it's crazy, it's seriously like something out of one of the stories on here. I must reiterate the "omg you're so hot" sentiments being tossed around, btw. And you sound like my neuroscience prof (also from NZ) in your youtube vids. Can't wait to see what happens to you next!
  #36   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Great comparo shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles
Thanks again everybody :-)

I just dropped by this thread again because I just passed the official one-year training anniversary (Sept 15th), and I put together this image as a comparison. Here ya go :-)

http://pics.livejournal.com/ccroft/pic/000bczx6

Still feels like I'm dreaming sometimes... never expected this kind of size change to happen to ME
And coming from the same school of "skinny", I know EXACTLY how you feel... it is like being in a dream state, even to this day. You wake up and sometimes it is hard to believe that it is your massive body you are waking up inside of ... it feels GREAT, doesn't it?

Hence, "Muscle Growth"

Ron III---III
  #37   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM
strongman2006

strongman2006 is on a distinguished road
I'm NOT a person anymore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1
And coming from the same school of "skinny", I know EXACTLY how you feel... it is like being in a dream state, even to this day. You wake up and sometimes it is hard to believe that it is your massive body you are waking up inside of ... it feels GREAT, doesn't it?

Hence, "Muscle Growth"

Ron III---III
Here's something simple I do to keep me motivated and you can try it too. Despite being over 300 lbs. and quite solid, I push myself for greater gains and visualizing what more I can become. And one single quote from a popular video game does it for me as I keep repeating it every night before I go to sleep and still works to this day:

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"

-- from the prologue of "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game

5'6", 310 lbs., 54" ch, 21.5" a, 20" neck, 30" quads, 19.5" calves

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"
-- Prologue to "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game
  #38   Add to tarmangani's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM

tarmangani is on a distinguished road
A very impressive before and after. Congratulations. I like the way that chain now accentuates you big bull neck.
  #39   Add to zho's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM

zho is on a distinguished road
Hah, it's so weird to see you on here Croft :P Internet's a small place it would seem. I keep track of your videos on youtube from time to time (I asked about Juno Reactor once :P) and I gotta say, you're making some great progress, good on you. Can't wait to see contest-ready pics. :P
  #40   Add to menergy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Cub in Huntsville, AL

menergy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to menergy
What a transformation. You have given me inspiration to finally grow the muscles and get huge.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options