The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to matt.gibson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:43 AM

matt.gibson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to matt.gibson
Ego & Compliments

I was liftin this week and this big dude said - "lookin thick!" I'm a guy who loves havin his ego stroked. Builds confidence. Makes me work harder. Next time you see a jacked dude - tell him so! LOL
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Post some pix, dammit, and I'll stroke yer, uh, ego!

xoxo

Richard
  #3   Add to SWMassMan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Big...Bigger...BIGGEST!!!

SWMassMan is on a distinguished road
Matt's right...

It sounds shallow, but the compliments and feedback I get keeps me motivated... ;-)
  #4   Add to cozman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM

cozman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cozman
I never pay big, muscular guys compliments. I'm always afraid that they're going to beat me up because they think I'm hitting on them.
  #5   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
strongman2006

strongman2006 is on a distinguished road
Compliments encourage motivation

I agree with Matt.

I hear compliments whether it be in the gym or when I see my chiropractor for some work.

This is what keeps me motivated to work harder. But, unfortunately, I just wish I had a training partner to help push each other to the next level. That's what I really need at my gym.

But compliments will do ... for now.

Stay strong!

5'6", 310 lbs., 54" ch, 21.5" a, 20" neck, 30" quads, 19.5" calves

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"
-- Prologue to "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game
  #6   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
I've had a couple good ones lately

In mid February I was doing leg presses and had just done a couple set at 810lbs, then got up to get a couple more 45's to try for a few 900lbs even reps. At the time there were three high school aged kids (the three of them combined probably weigh less than me!) using a neighboring leg machine for their exercises. As I got up and walked away I could have sworn I heard one say to another something about trying that, to which another responded, "No, I still like to walk." I still have to bite my tongue trying not to laugh out loud when I think about that comment when others are around

Then tonight I over heard a couple guys talking while using that machine and one of them said something about going up to 6 plates sometime soon(I think he ment per side so it would be 12-45lbs plates or 540lbs) and one of them said "No Way" in a shocked tone of voice. about 10 minutes after they finished using that machine, I went over and did my work out on it. I'd warmed up at 6 plates total (240lbs) and did calfs at 10 plates total (450lbs) before bumping up to 900lbs for my main set. I did a set of 8 reps at 900lbs (20 plates), then another set of 7 reps at the same weight. After that I bumped it up to 990lbs (22 plates) for 5 reps and one of the above mentioned guys saw that as I was finishing up and goes "Holy Fuck!" and then says to his buddy, "Did you see that!" (his answer was yes), the said, "Holy Fuck is that alot of weight!" Then proceded to congraduate me for being able to do that

BTW, the above weights don't even include the weight of the machine, which I've heard may be another 80lbs on top of what I'm pressing
  #7   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozman View Post
I never pay big, muscular guys compliments. I'm always afraid that they're going to beat me up because they think I'm hitting on them.
Ditto, I think they'd just think it was weird some stranger commenting on their bodies. :s
  #8   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDunIt View Post

In mid February I was doing leg presses and had just done a couple set at 810lbs, then got up to get a couple more 45's to try for a few 900lbs even reps. At the time there were three high school aged kids (the three of them combined probably weigh less than me!) using a neighboring leg machine for their exercises. As I got up and walked away I could have sworn I heard one say to another something about trying that, to which another responded, "No, I still like to walk." I still have to bite my tongue trying not to laugh out loud when I think about that comment when others are around

Then tonight I over heard a couple guys talking while using that machine and one of them said something about going up to 6 plates sometime soon(I think he ment per side so it would be 12-45lbs plates or 540lbs) and one of them said "No Way" in a shocked tone of voice. about 10 minutes after they finished using that machine, I went over and did my work out on it. I'd warmed up at 6 plates total (240lbs) and did calfs at 10 plates total (450lbs) before bumping up to 900lbs for my main set. I did a set of 8 reps at 900lbs (20 plates), then another set of 7 reps at the same weight. After that I bumped it up to 990lbs (22 plates) for 5 reps and one of the above mentioned guys saw that as I was finishing up and goes "Holy Fuck!" and then says to his buddy, "Did you see that!" (his answer was yes), the said, "Holy Fuck is that alot of weight!" Then proceded to congraduate me for being able to do that

BTW, the above weights don't even include the weight of the machine, which I've heard may be another 80lbs on top of what I'm pressing
Congrats, buddy! A lot of guys just focus on their upper bodies. It sounds like you're a moose all the way around. Keep it up.
  #9   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
Quote:

Our leg press machine only goes up to 12 plates each side, so we usually have someone sit on top of it when we are really hitting legs. There's only about a dozen people at our gym that worries about legs and about 6 of us worry about the full sled not being enough. It is funny seeing the look of some of the college guys that do nothing but chest and arms as they watch someone do about 10 reps of ~1300 lbs.
  #10   Add to cozman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM

cozman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cozman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Ditto, I think they'd just think it was weird some stranger commenting on their bodies. :s
I agree. And it's not like I wouldn't want to because I would . . . because I really am impressed. But I'm not that big of a guy so I'm at a real disadvantage.
  #11   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
Exactly. It wouldn't even take someone that was really built to beat me up. An average guy could do it. :c
  #12   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
Kudos! Which brand and type of leg press is it? The 45-degree linear presses definitely can add weight (e.g., Hammer Strength sled weighs 125 lbs). But the leg press that rotates around a pivot doesn't add a lot of weight by itself.

I've been chastised for stealing all the 45-lb plates on leg day for the linear leg press, but I'm not as strong on the other kind.

Quote:

#13   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

I get ego-boosting attention on weeknights and "you're nothing special" treatment on weekends. My training partner and I now use two gyms. On weeknights at the one where we've been training for a couple years, we're two of the bigger guys. It's more of a health-club crowd, which is annoying and is why I also joined a local Gold's that is more hardcore. Weeknights we turn heads. I'm one of the only guys (if not the only one) pressing the 125-lb DBs on chest night (and that's incline press). He and I are the only ones who load up the dip machines to capacity. I'm the only one shrugging with 4 or 5 plates on a side on the Smith. And so on. But that's because that gym is so, well, lame. On weekends we're nothing special: the Gold's has heavier weights, better equipment, and no elevator music. And let me tell you, there are some real beasts there.

Last edited by digger; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarity
  #14   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM

It's the 45 degree Hammer Strength one Digger, but the label showing the starting weight is missing so I was never sure.
  #15   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks Woof, right now my chest is kinda on the weak side at 175lbs on a flat bench, but I'm working on that and forearms.
  #16   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM

You know Xythan, I'm still fat enough to be obese. I'd confuse the hell out of those jocks, lol!
  #17   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Now you know: it's 125.

Quote:
It's the 45 degree Hammer Strength one Digger, but the label showing the starting weight is missing so I was never sure.
  #18   Add to yobdior's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM

yobdior is on a distinguished road
I don't pay compliments because I tend to feel guys with great bodies know it, and the last thing I actually want to do is feed their swollen egos any further.
  #19   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
Now you know: it's 125.
Cool!

Come to think of it, that puts my leg press weight near the payload of my truck

Sorry about the 3 posts from last night, made them from my cell phone and things have to be done in a goofy manner when I do

Last edited by WhoDunIt; April 4th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
  #20   Add to wolfman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM

wolfman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfman
Today i was playing tennis in sleevless t-shirt with few friends of mine and they were constantly commenting my arms while I was playing how they flex during the playing and how they are huge. After, when we went for drinks they were asking me to flex biceps and triceps and they grabbed it few times. Great ego booster!
  #21   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMassMan View Post
Matt's right...

It sounds shallow, but the compliments and feedback I get keeps me motivated... ;-)
It's certainly not shallow at all! It's recognition for the hard work... like a report card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongman2006 View Post
I agree with Matt.

I hear compliments whether it be in the gym or when I see my chiropractor for some work.

This is what keeps me motivated to work harder. But, unfortunately, I just wish I had a training partner to help push each other to the next level. That's what I really need at my gym.

But compliments will do ... for now.

Stay strong!
It's particularly gratifying when a healthcare provider: MD, chiro, etc. recognizes your progress and size. I've gotten it from a number of them: the MDs at my chiro's office (it's a progressive chiro practice not opposed to traditional methods) who have made comments about the size of my muscles; even my psychiatrist who was dosing my bipolar meds commented "... well, you are a big man, and I may have to increase your dosages a bit". It may be a little psycho to be stoked and proud to have your psych meds increased because of your size.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #22   Add to indygary's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM

indygary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to indygary Send a message via Yahoo to indygary
i've been inspired by this thread. now i leave my ipod at home, and i compliment someone when i see a deserving guy. each time i haven't been sorry. friday night the recipient told me "thanks - i've had a tough day, i really appreciate that". i might start a trend at my gym.
  #23   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM

This thread alone has been a good motivator for me, thanks to everybody!
  #24   Add to matt.gibson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM

matt.gibson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to matt.gibson
Now I say we all put our muscle where our mouths are and post some pix. I'll work on mine for tomorrow after i get a good pump goin.
  #25   Add to robinl45's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM

robinl45 is on a distinguished road
There is nothing better than someone noticing that you are muscular. At first i found it a bit embarassing but a couple of recent experiences made me feel great and have inspired me to get even bigger. I am a 30yr old, good looking, heterosexual guy - 6'4" and currently 244lbs with 17" arms so although not huge i kinda stick out in a crowd. In the last 3 weeks three things have happened that really gave my ego a boost.

Firstly i met up with some friends that had not seen me since last summer and all of them commented on how big i was getting. They started tesasing me about the size of my arms and started making jokes about me buying t-shirts that fitted properly. It was all light hearted stuff but it was a huge ego boost and by the end of the night they were asking about training and diet advice.

The second thing happened in a club a week or so ago. A girl i had never met before interupted a conversation between my friend and i and asked if she could feel my pecs. I was wearing a tight shirt and she said that she and her friend were wondering if my muscles were as hard as they looked. I felt rather embarassed but let her and after getting a good feel she complimented me and said i had a great body and that i must train really hard .Ego boost number 2!

My final ego boost came in the gym when one of the guys that i always considered to be a bodybuilder made a comment about how wide my shoulders were getting and asked me what exercises i was doing for them. That was pretty much a defining moment for me.

Now i just want to get bigger and more muscular. Despite being heterosexual there is something quite horny about girls looking at my body with lust and other guys looking at my body with envy and i am not ashamed to admit that after retiring from competitive sports my only real reason for pushing my body to the limt is to look good.

I am thinking of starting a blog here to monitor my progress....and i am considering starting my first cycle later this year to try and get even bigger. I think it would be inspiring and motivational to make a log of my progress and journey towards my goals and having read some of the more popular logs i think i would really dig the comments. Good idea or not?

Last edited by robinl45; April 7th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
  #26   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM

luvyalots is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I know what you guys mean:

I've recently started working out seriously also for no real reason than to just look good. In the last two months, I've put on about 25 pounds going from 150 to 175 and people are starting to notice.

I was wearing a tight-ish T-shirt and a buddy of mine commented on how my chest was sticking out more.

A girl at school pointed to my arms at a basketball game and asked "since when did you get buff?"

A guy at the gym mentioned that I had put on size.

Even my parents have noticed. My mom even remarked on how my legs were getting bigger - awkward!

I personally don't see anything more than small changes in my appearance, but apparently others are - weird.
  #27   Add to musqlure's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM

musqlure is on a distinguished road
Hey Robin,

Just wanted to say that I think your idea is a good one. Post news about your progress (with pics) and I think we'll all be happy.
  #28   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
25 lbs. in 2 months is amazing! You'll catch up to Achilles in no time, at this rate! Post pix, dammit!

xoxo

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyalots View Post
Yeah, I know what you guys mean:

I've recently started working out seriously also for no real reason than to just look good. In the last two months, I've put on about 25 pounds going from 150 to 175 and people are starting to notice.

I was wearing a tight-ish T-shirt and a buddy of mine commented on how my chest was sticking out more.

A girl at school pointed to my arms at a basketball game and asked "since when did you get buff?"

A guy at the gym mentioned that I had put on size.

Even my parents have noticed. My mom even remarked on how my legs were getting bigger - awkward!

I personally don't see anything more than small changes in my appearance, but apparently others are - weird.
  #30   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Well Guys, I did it. Leg pressed 1080lbs in just iron for 5 reps tonight!
  #31   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Congratulations!

Quote:
  #32   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
Quote:
Grats. That is 12 plates per side right. I know because that's what our machine maxes out at and where we usually end our workouts at.

But, here's some inspiriation for you. One of the guys at my gym, a hefty bodybuilder, was doing legs thursday and had the following on the leg press

12 plates per side
1 45lb bar and 4 45lb plates per side on the bar
~1485 lbs of weight not counting the sled.

He then proceeded to do 27 reps with it. I kid you not. If I had my camera I would've taken a video of it. I know the guy is strong but seeing that kinda weight being handled like that both shocks, amazes, and dumbfounds me. And later he told me that he though he had done 30 and that's why he stopped, he could've done more.

And I thought my legs were decently strong. I may be in the upper tiers at my gym, but I got a long way to catch up with him.
  #33   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks guys and yes that is 12 per side or 24 total and this one might go up to 32 total! just hope my jeans fit tomorrow.....
  #35   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Thanks guys and yes that is 12 per side or 24 total and this one might go up to 32 total! just hope my jeans fit tomorrow.....
Well done! Did the jeans fit????? Either way, pics would be welcome.
  #36   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Jeans fit a little better than normal, but no pics of those.......I do have a couple bi's pics!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3723449.../in/datetaken/
  #37   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:30 PM
MASS Matters

Quote:
Jeans fit a little better than normal, but no pics of those.......I do have a couple bi's pics!
Good mass!! Get that camera cranking for more shots (including those smokin' quads)!
  #38   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks, there's a bit too much fat there, but they kinda look bigger on camera than they seem in real life. With the tape pulling the fat tight they measure just under 20" most of the time and can come lose to filling out the opening of a 2X t-shirt. That shirt is supposedly a 3X but the sleeves feel like a small 2X while the rest is medium 2X-small 3X.
  #39   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM

Got a couple new ones tonight, after finishing up leg presses (maxed out at 24 plates total for 6 reps!) I had a rather cute little brunette gal look at me, smile and say Hi and had a guy in what looked to be his 40's or so walk up and ask me if I'm a champion of something, I told him , "No, I'm just a fat guy that works retail."
  #40   Add to zilcher's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM

zilcher is on a distinguished road
yes........compliment them

[COLOR=red]robin 145 you should definitely start a blog regarding your progress. everyone loves to keep track of the growth of bodybuidlers.......everyone on this site that is.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]regarding the topic: heck yeah.......compliment big muscular guys. they want to hear it, they want to know that their muscles are impacting other people and making them in awe of them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]just don't obviously want to have sex with them. that wouldn't do.[/COLOR]

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options