The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Steroids
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Steroids General information, discussion and experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM

traveller
Blood Tests - Cholesterol, Kidney & Liver

My doctor reviewed my recent blood tests from last week which turned out much better than I hoped. In fact, he thought it was too good to be true, so he double-checked the name on the lab printout. He definitely liked my much lower bad cholesterol number so much that he quizzed me about what supplements I was taking. I learned that the red rice yeast I've been taking for the past few weeks is a statin that will lower my bad cholesterol. He also explained to me that my good cholesterol number could be higher if I continued taking my niacin prescription and did a lot more cardiovascular exercise for 30-60 mins. 5-7 times a week. He went on to tell me that the tests for my kidney and liver functions were good. That was a relief since I was on an 'oral-based' cycle a few months ago when I was abroad.

I admit that the good test results compensated for having a needle stuck in a vein.

--traveler
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Congratulations on your positive report. I'm quite intrigued that your doctor don't know much of red yeast rice. I occasionally buy them and other herbs in my local Chinese herb store if I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

I think it's time to find a doctor who is also has an extensive knowledge of Chinese herbology?
  #3   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:16 AM

traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewletter View Post
... I'm quite intrigued that your doctor don't know much of red yeast rice. ...
He actually seemed very familiar with it. He was concerned that over-the-counter supplements don't offer the same level of quality, dosage control and price per a given unit as what's offered by pharmaceutical companies. I think that in regards to price, prescription statins are cost effective with good health insurance. Without such coverage, I would choose over-the-counter supplements.

--traveller
  #4   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
I have to ask why you were taking red rice yeast in the first place if it wasn't for addressing cholesterol? That is the *only* reason I've ever heard to take it. I guess I'm just surprised at your surprise :-)
  #5   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM

traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
I have to ask why you were taking red rice yeast in the first place if it wasn't for addressing cholesterol? That is the *only* reason I've ever heard to take it. I guess I'm just surprised at your surprise :-)
Well, my surprise is due to ignorance and laziness since I really didn't do any research on that. An HRT doctor, who unfortunately is no longer allowed to practice medicine, recommended that I take red yeast rice, policosanol and omega 3 oil in addition to my HRT regimen. I thought that my primary care physician would have heard about policosanol if he knows about red yeast rice, but he's not familiar with that sugar cane extract. My primary care physician does recommend omega 3 oil and actively pushes prescription statins which I'm hesitant to take in the form of another prescription that I must get from the pharmacy. My health insurance coverage is quite good, but I haven't quite thought through why I just don't want to add another pill from the pharmacy to my list of daily things to do--the fact that I take red yeast rice as a non-prescription supplement does contradicts my (emotional) hesitation to take yet another pill from the pharmacy.

<sigh>

traveller
  #6   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:35 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear of the good numbers. Use every method to avoid Rx Statins that you can. There have been multiple news reports that they are the "Snake oil" of the new century and they are not a free ride. They are hepatoxic and though Niacin in high dosages is also hepatoxic, it is less so than Statins.

My experience with statins was really bad and I fired a Quack MD over their use. I developed debilitating pain in my back and shoulders while on statins. I went off the drugs and the pain went away in about three days. Back on the drugs and the pain returned.

Statins should only be used when the numbers cannot be reduced to a reasonable level by other means. They are the last line of defense and many MD's are handing them out like candy. There are also people with cholesterol numbers well under 200 that are being prescribed statin drugs.

I strongly urge anyone taking statins to be very careful of these drugs. Some HIV medications cause incredible cholesterol numbers as a side effect. Those individuals definitely need the drugs, but not everyone does. These drugs are being abused by MD's badly and the pharma's are pushing them for nearly everyone and making claims that they cannot substantiate. They have a place, but not in the bloodstream of everyone!
  #7   Add to Muscled6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Muscled6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Last Year's Statin Nightmare

Yeah, take a look at my posts about statins. I got put on them this time last year. Almost had kidney failure. Absolute nightmare, and I didn't need them!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options