You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Tundy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Tundy is on a distinguished road
Transforming In Real Life

You can skip the whole story if you want, my main questions are in bold. I just like typing is all, and I think it'd be better for me to just lay it all out there.

To start off, I'm 19 going on 20 and I had a pseudo midlife crisis. The hair on the top of my head is thinning and my hairline is receding, I'm not even a real adult yet - which I consider to be 21 for obvious reasons - and I'm probably going to resemble Ted from Scrubs before I even hit 21. Of course men going bald or losing a bit of hair isn't anything new... If they're 30~50 or older. But I'm 19, over weight, covered in body hair, and now losing my hair. It's like having a mid life crisis without being old, and then I'll look older due to being bald without actually being old... So now you might see why this is a huge problem for me. Anyway, are there any medications that have been proven to stop and/or reverse hair-loss due to DTH?

This is a big deal because... Well, you heard what I said. My hair was the only thing I liked about myself, and I was probably in a depressing slump for about 2 days because of this problem. Then for no reason at all, I get up, and start doing push ups. Despite my weight, I was able to crank out 20 of those easy, followed by a few squats, but I couldn't do many sit ups due to my stomach *cough*. So maybe under my flab I got some sort of decent physic. I also felt pretty good, and even hours after working out, I still feel pretty damn amazing. Now instead of worrying about going bald, I'm just going to focus all this frustration and excess energy on working out. It's obvious that my early hair loss is due to an over abundance testosterone, thus making more DHT. So maybe I can use this to my advantage... Maybe. I just figured testosterone plays a big role in muscle development. Oh and it's not a serious medical problem, I'm extremely healthy(I've rarely been sick), it's just that I have a bit more testosterone than the normal guy.

All in all, losing hair/being bald and having a natural fur coat doesn't matter if I'm fit. However, if I'm chunky, it'll just look like I'm a big slob or some sort of drug fiend. Mostly because teenagers don't normally lose hair at 19, though a tiny bit of thinning is normal... But this isn't just normal thinning... SO ON TO THE WHOLE REASON FOR MAKING THIS TOPIC!

I don't really leave the house due to me not driving, nor do I have dumbbells. What week to week routines should I do at/around my home to lose weight and gain a bit of muscle mass? What normal household things can I use to help gain muscle mass (like to lift or something)?

I also go to college and have access to the gym, but that's only during fall until early spring. However, I can only go there 1~3 times a week at max since I don't have convenient transportation. As for the equipment, it's basically like a mini Bally's Total Fitness club (so it has standard/common machines and all of that). What routines should I do at the gym during the times I can actually go there?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but my current build is a bit strange. Of course most of my weight is in my thighs, my lower half, and my upper arms. Then there's my stomach which for some reason resembles a beer belly accompanied by some unlovable love handles... What else can cause a stomach like that? It doesn't look like a normal fatty's stomach. As for my frame, I have broad shoulders, and my waist is sort of small for compared to the rest of me. So does that mean I have to focus on certain things first?

As for my diet, I think I have that under control in terms of it being healthy for a normal person. Despite me being a bit chunky, I never really ate much. What type of diet should I have now that I'm looking to lose weight and build mass?

Lastly, what other tips do any of you have that may help me on any of the questions I asked (like what should I do before and after a routine or just tips in general)?

I'll be transforming either way. And there's only two options.

1) Be a fat, hairy, semi-bald young man who looks older than he actually is and has a low self-esteem because of it.

2) Be a fat, hairy, semi-bald young man who doesn't look old because he has a fit body and carries himself better because of it.

So yeah... Any on topic response would really help me get started as soon as possible. I know it's a huge ass thing, but I figure I should get as much info to fix my problem in one sitting rather than procrastinating to get it all. And what better place to do that than a site about muscle growth both in literature and real life?

Thanks in advance for reading all of this, if you did. I know I sound kind of whiny and pretty oblivious to most of what I should know, so thanks for bearing with that too.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
Ok bro : here is some help. hair loss is due to dth conversion through your prostate gland. There are some natural ways to slow down the conversion rate. As for the weight issue that is nutrition related. drop your breads, white rice , sugars and alll junk foods. no eating fast foods. do 5-6 small meals a day. things like eggs, lean beef, chicken, brown rice, yams or sweet pots, salads but only red vinager for dressing, broccoli fish , almonds. and simular foods. As for the gym if you have chairs at home u can do basics with them, also push ups against the wall or regular kind, milk jugs for dumbells ( full of cource) go get unrefined virgin organic coconut oil do 1 tablespoon in the am and one near bed time. Walk 30 mins cardio 3-5x a week and a moderate pace keep heart rate up. that will get u started.
  #3   Add to Frankly's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Frankly is on a distinguished road
hair loss isnt that big of a deal. I also lost my hair very early, started thinning at 20 and am pretty much bald on top at 24, but i started shaving my head and would never go back to having hair, even if i had a full head of it. balding is a natural process that can be slowed or stopped with expensive medications and shampoos but i have always just said, when life gives you lemons, you throw them away and shave your head.

as for diet and exercise, it seems you have been bitten by the workout bug. Run with it. The gym keeps me stress free, relaxed and always in a good mood. working out lets me put all my frustrations into the weights and i feel 1000 times better afterwards. check out bodybuilding.com for workout routines either at home or in the gym, or a great site i found is abcbodybuilding.com as well. they give good visuals as to how to do a routine. If you can't find something good there, pick up a mens health, they always have decent exercises and routines.

Best of luck, and keep us posted. Work hard and you'll see the results and feel more confidant because of it.
  #4   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundy View Post
You can skip the whole story if you want, my main questions are in bold. I just like typing is all, and I think it'd be better for me to just lay it all out there.

To start off, I'm 19 going on 20 and I had a pseudo midlife crisis. The hair on the top of my head is thinning and my hairline is receding, I'm not even a real adult yet - which I consider to be 21 for obvious reasons - and I'm probably going to resemble Ted from Scrubs before I even hit 21. Of course men going bald or losing a bit of hair isn't anything new... If they're 30~50 or older. But I'm 19, over weight, covered in body hair, and now losing my hair. It's like having a mid life crisis without being old, and then I'll look older due to being bald without actually being old... So now you might see why this is a huge problem for me. Anyway, are there any medications that have been proven to stop and/or reverse hair-loss due to DTH?

This is a big deal because... Well, you heard what I said. My hair was the only thing I liked about myself, and I was probably in a depressing slump for about 2 days because of this problem. Then for no reason at all, I get up, and start doing push ups. Despite my weight, I was able to crank out 20 of those easy, followed by a few squats, but I couldn't do many sit ups due to my stomach *cough*. So maybe under my flab I got some sort of decent physic. I also felt pretty good, and even hours after working out, I still feel pretty damn amazing. Now instead of worrying about going bald, I'm just going to focus all this frustration and excess energy on working out. It's obvious that my early hair loss is due to an over abundance testosterone, thus making more DHT. So maybe I can use this to my advantage... Maybe. I just figured testosterone plays a big role in muscle development. Oh and it's not a serious medical problem, I'm extremely healthy(I've rarely been sick), it's just that I have a bit more testosterone than the normal guy.

All in all, losing hair/being bald and having a natural fur coat doesn't matter if I'm fit. However, if I'm chunky, it'll just look like I'm a big slob or some sort of drug fiend. Mostly because teenagers don't normally lose hair at 19, though a tiny bit of thinning is normal... But this isn't just normal thinning... SO ON TO THE WHOLE REASON FOR MAKING THIS TOPIC!

I don't really leave the house due to me not driving, nor do I have dumbbells. What week to week routines should I do at/around my home to lose weight and gain a bit of muscle mass? What normal household things can I use to help gain muscle mass (like to lift or something)?

I also go to college and have access to the gym, but that's only during fall until early spring. However, I can only go there 1~3 times a week at max since I don't have convenient transportation. As for the equipment, it's basically like a mini Bally's Total Fitness club (so it has standard/common machines and all of that). What routines should I do at the gym during the times I can actually go there?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but my current build is a bit strange. Of course most of my weight is in my thighs, my lower half, and my upper arms. Then there's my stomach which for some reason resembles a beer belly accompanied by some unlovable love handles... What else can cause a stomach like that? It doesn't look like a normal fatty's stomach. As for my frame, I have broad shoulders, and my waist is sort of small for compared to the rest of me. So does that mean I have to focus on certain things first?

As for my diet, I think I have that under control in terms of it being healthy for a normal person. Despite me being a bit chunky, I never really ate much. What type of diet should I have now that I'm looking to lose weight and build mass?

Lastly, what other tips do any of you have that may help me on any of the questions I asked (like what should I do before and after a routine or just tips in general)?

I'll be transforming either way. And there's only two options.

1) Be a fat, hairy, semi-bald young man who looks older than he actually is and has a low self-esteem because of it.

2) Be a fat, hairy, semi-bald young man who doesn't look old because he has a fit body and carries himself better because of it.

So yeah... Any on topic response would really help me get started as soon as possible. I know it's a huge ass thing, but I figure I should get as much info to fix my problem in one sitting rather than procrastinating to get it all. And what better place to do that than a site about muscle growth both in literature and real life?

Thanks in advance for reading all of this, if you did. I know I sound kind of whiny and pretty oblivious to most of what I should know, so thanks for bearing with that too.
_____
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]

The first thing that you need to understand is that hair loss this early is in no manner unusual. When I returned to my 10 year HS reunion there were numerous men from my graduating class who had only a small fringe around the edge of their heads. MPB (Male Pattern Baldness) is not anything to fear, to be ashamed of, or in any way to feel bad about. There were 4 or 5 male teens with noticeably receding hairlines by the time they greaduated from HS in my own graduating class.

On this one I am sort of an expert.

Your liver produces an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. As your testicles and liver produce testosterone. (Your liver produces a very small amount) that hormone needs to be chemically altered to perform the multiple functions that are needed by your body. Your body very badly needs DHT, it is a very necessary part of your chemical makeup and it is very necessary for good health on many levels.

The hair regrowth industry has demonized this very necessary component as have many deriving billions in profits from drugs used to treat BPH which is basically prostate enlargement.

Your hair loss on your head and the growth of body hair are a result of genetics. If your genes did not determine that you were going to suffer from hair loss all the DHT in the world would not cause hair loss. The same gene structure allowing the activation of follicles on your body are what causes the hair growth.

My friend, I also have what we laughingly call "wookie genes" when it comes to the growth of body hair. My chest, back,all the way down to my butt, shoulders, upper arms and chest are covered with hair. My Maternal Grandfather was also genetically gifted with a built in "fur coat". This is something you inherit by genetics as well.

If you were genetically programmed to have an abnormally high testosterone level, physical fitness is something that you should take to easily and you have a good chance to progress far faster than most of your friends with lower levels.

To progress well with your transformation the first thing you need to do is to completely do a clean up job on your diet. Eliminate the following things. (Which you will find more difficult than you think)

GET RID OF: Everything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, Chrystaline Sucrose, Any or all Soy Products, because a percentage of men have their testosterone levels reduced by the consumption of Soy, and also eliminate any and all artificial chemicals that you can. If you want to use a sweetener use something that is not harmful to you that is naturally produced.

There are many red meats you can eat, but be careful of cheap lot fed beef. Range fed beef is far healther if you must eat beef. Personally I recommend Buffalo as a substitute. They are now being raised in range fed operations and they are genetically different from beef cattle. Buffalo is heart healthy.

As far as meats your diet needs to be about 80% chicken and fish with other protein sources making up the remaining percentage that is naturally derived. Pasta is a mixed bag, heavily processed bleached grains do not metabolize in the way you need them to. Look for pasta derived from wheat or other heavier grains. If you have a pasta maker, getting the makings to make your own is better anyway, but not many of us have that time.

Eliminate fast foods from your diet as much as you possibly can and if you are stuck with a fast food situation as a general rule avoid the beef products heading instead towards the broiled chicken or fish entrees.

As a fellow "fur ball" you can PM me any time you want and I will reply to you as I get time.

Also remember something else. Many pro bodybuilders shave their heads because the shaved head makes the muscle development look larger than it is. My Nephew is working towards his pro card in the sport. He is 22 years of age. He does not yet have the hair loss on his head, but genetically it is in his future on both sides. He also has the family "wookie genes" and his legs have so much hair that skin is actually obscured. He also has heavy hair on his abdomen, chest and it is starting to grow on his back, shoulders and butt. He accepts this and in our house it is part of the family jokes. At 22 most of the time he wears a full beard simply because he would be shaving constantly to get rid of it.

Enjoy who you are and remember that there are just as many people who like fur coats as their are who like smooth guys. All you have to do is to be determined to be the best you that you can be! Your body hair and your hairline are just a couple of things that make you unique and special.

[/COLOR]
  #5   Add to Tundy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM

Tundy is on a distinguished road
Wow, not even 24 hours and I get all my questions answered. Thanks for the posts! But I do have to ask, what exactly does the unrefined coconut oil do for me in terms of health? And since there are people here who know what they're talking about (unlike some washed up trainers at the gym my friends attend), I think I'll ask a few more questions so I can get this show on the road without messing up anything.

Like... I take Welbutron, so my appetite isn't that great. In other words, I don't think I could actually have six meals a day, even if they're small. I could do 4 without going overboard, which probably isn't much. What would be the best way to make up for the lack of some meals?

And yeah, the hair thinning/receding thing isn't even an issue to me now(personally). Even though my hair still has a nice sheen/look to it (despite the slight thinning) that make many lady-friends jealous. But oh well, even if I really liked my hair, it'll probably be way easier to be bald (all the things I had to do to it over the years was quite time consuming). However, if I can prevent it the thinning, it wouldn't make any sense for me to go on a fitness overhaul while ignoring my hair completely. (I should at least give it a few more years, for other reasons than just having it there)

Which leads me to this, since my thinning/balding spots aren't too large, using Minoxidil Solutions would probably stop and reverse the balding all together. My uncle uses it (he was balding at the crown) and his hair looks better than it ever did. He says he gets dandruff on dry occasions, but he just uses dandruff shampoo to almost instantly clear it up. If anything happens side-effect wise, I can simply stop using it and have no permanent damage. Anyway, the question I wanted to ask is: Would using Minoxidil hinder what I'm trying to do in terms of fitness? (After seeing some of the wacky side-effects for the topical acne medications out there, I wouldn't be surprised if Minoxidil did some weird things to the body.)

It's sort of important that I at least try to stop the thinning at least until I'm out of college. I work as a host in a swanky place, so I'm basically required for me to have hair and look my best. How I got the job? Well, apparently 5'8" guys who are slightly chunky happen to be very "adorable" so says the owner and my co-worker. I guess it's like I'm Chunk from The Goonies. So if it works and doesn't cause any HARMFUL problems, then I'll probably just use it until I finish up college. Then I can quit the host job and get a REAL job, which most likely won't give a damn if I have hair or not. It's only 25 dollars for 6 months, and many men say it works and some have even used the stuff for many years and still have the same full head of hair (such as my uncle).

So if I wanted to, I could use that stuff for 60 years and it would only amount up to 3000 dollars over that time. That's chump change to most people, given the amount of time it's spent over. That's also cheaper than taking care of most pets for 10 years... But I'd rather just shave it off. There's way more pros to not having hair than having hair in my case. It makes me feel kind of stupid for jumping straight to the cons and freaking out over it like it was an arm I lost rather than a few hairs.

I think that's just about covers all I really need to know. I should probably look into the Minoxidil elsewhere, but since this forum is mostly made up of men, I figured there'd be someone who uses it or knows someone who uses it that can tell me what's what. Especially since this forum has guys who work out and such, and can tell if it hinders anything or not. Hooray for the last text wall (hopefully)!
  #6   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Re hair loss due to HDT, have you tried Nizoral or minoxidil? they're designed just for that, and are readily available off the shelf in USA, or EBAY.

Do NOT use hair growth pills, which affect DHT systematically. As explained before, it is needed. They may also drop your testosterone levels.

Wweight loss and fat allocation: I agree with all that was written before, and add that allocation areas are hormonal related. I'd take a test, look specifically at cortisol levels. Yoga, meditation etc will practice your brain to relax(=less cortisol). Also, there are supplements that help controlling that, if needed.

others have said to drop all refined carbs and sugars. I add, stimulants and caffeine (soda included).
  #7   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
Well, I know this isn't the advice you want to hear on this board but you have a lot more to offer than a head of hair. I think you need to fix your mind before you can fix your body. It seems like to me a key problem is your self-esteem. While its true that working out can help change that self-esteem, that still doesn't solve the problem.

That brings me to bupropion. Bupropion is pushed by the drug companies as being effective to treat depression. In comparison to other antidepressants its found to be just as effective. Doctors like it because it does not cause weight gain or sexual dysfunction. My problem is that it's been known for a while that anti-depressants DON'T work. Excercise alone is more effective than taking any dose of SSRI or NDRI. In fact, a few studies have shown that you actually don't make as good an improvement if you take an anti-depressant and exercise (http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/min...xercisedep.htm).

The placebo effect and your working out are what is providing the greatest improvement in your depression . Even if you do think the medicine is working for you, its important to note that it can't fix your environment. It can fix the chemical imbalance that makes you depressed. Once you stop taking it, if everything else is still the same depression will set right back in.

My advice is that you need to learn to be happy with yourself before you can make any physical changes. It will take great motivation to lose weight or even be persistent enough to slow hair loss and that is the very definition of the problem depressed people have. They can't do it while they are depressed. It's hard to accomplish this on your own and I've yet to come across any self-help books that are better than seeing a therapist. You owe it to yourself to take care of your mind as well as your body.

On the medical side, there is no known way to stop hair loss. It's coming and it comes for quite a lot of men. I'm not without sin here, it is something that bothers me as well. I have to remind myself that my hair isn't what defines me as a good or attractive person. There are a few things you can do, like modifying your diet and there are a few shampoos that can strengthen the hair and promote hair growth.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options