The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Site News, Feedback & Suggestions
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Site News, Feedback & Suggestions For discussion related to forum itself, including features, feedback and suggestions.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to thoron's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM

thoron is on a distinguished road
Question About Search

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, please forgive me if it isn't.
When I use search it only seems to go back about 1 year, and I know that each forum goes back farther then that. Is it something I'm doing, or is it this forum itself? If its the forum, why does it stop at about a year?

I just checked again, and it seem more like it cuts off at 500 items.

Last edited by thoron; September 9th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:47 AM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
What words are you using to search with? Maybe you're using something too generic for the site?

You might try a google search through the site too. Just type what you're looking for like normal and then add site:musclegrowth.org and you should get some results.
  #3   Add to thoron's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM

thoron is on a distinguished road
I guess my question now is why does it stop at 500, every other forum that I've been to goes beyond that.
  #4   Add to rogsats's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM

rogsats is on a distinguished road
I have another question.

Is there any possibility to search stories not only by single words "muscle" "giant", but terms, like "little man", "lifted up", "giant man" etc.?

It will be much easier to find interesting stories.

Greetings
  #5   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoron View Post
I guess my question now is why does it stop at 500, every other forum that I've been to goes beyond that.
The number of search results is capped at 500, a decision that I'm sure is simply intended to keep searches from consuming excessive resources on the site's webservers. ...Or, possibly, to prevent excessively large result sets from causing problems.

(The database on which these forums run can be temperamental. If you've never tried to visit the site, only to be greeted with a plain white database error page... well, it'll happen sooner or later. Anyway, this is pure speculation, but I can imagine lots of ways that permitting unrestrained searches that generate results sets containing thousands of rows just miiiiiiiiight run afoul of the system's known weaknesses.)

Either way, it seems like a completely reasonable measure on a free site which has limited resources available to it. It's not like the search results are limited to 20, or 50 matches... Honestly, if you're getting more than 500 results, the right solution is to refine your search! *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogsats View Post
Is there any possibility to search stories not only by single words "muscle" "giant", but terms, like "little man", "lifted up", "giant man" etc.?
Sorry, no, there isn't -- it's keyword-based only. The site's built-in search is functional enough to satisfy users' needs most of the time, but it's not intended to facilitate complex queries or to serve as a librarian interface to the entire content store. (As I mentioned above, the site isn't run out of deep pockets with unlimited resources thrown at it -- it's a free effort.)

For some areas of the site, you can take Yachirobi's suggestion and use Google to search. However, it dosn't appear that the story areas of the site are indexed by Google, probably because they're members-only access. Afraid I don't have a lot of suggestions in that case.

Last edited by nypup2train; November 25th, 2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Google doesn't index the restricted areas (probably the only ones searchers are interested in!)
  #6   Add to rogsats's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM

rogsats is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your answer
  #7   Add to itammarlott's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM

itammarlott is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to itammarlott
Question About Search

Just a small question - more curious than anything.What is the difference between Premium Member and Senior Member?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options