You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to hatshatshats's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM

hatshatshats is on a distinguished road
To all of you gym rats...

What do you feel about fat people in the gym?

I'm tempted to join a gym. I'm sick of being fat and I'd love to drop some pounds and add on some muscle.

What do gym rats think of us chunkos waddling on in there? Do you approach us if it looks like we're doing something horribly wrong? Do people laugh?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to musclekid7's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:37 AM

musclekid7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatshatshats View Post

I'm tempted to join a gym. I'm sick of being fat and I'd love to drop some pounds and add on some muscle.

What do gym rats think of us chunkos waddling on in there? Do you approach us if it looks like we're doing something horribly wrong? Do people laugh?
Someone *might* approach you if you were doing something so horribly wrong that they were afraid you'd get hurt, but for the most part, no. Everyone minds their own business. People check out other gym goers, and you'll get some looks, but no one will laugh.

Personally, when I see an heavily overweight person in the gym, *if I even think about them*, I literally just think "good for him/her." Everybody in the gym is a work in progress; nobody's at the end of their road, and a lot of people in there will know what it's like to start off overweight.

(Losing weight is all about diet though!)

Last edited by musclekid7; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
  #3   Add to bigdave's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:06 AM

bigdave is on a distinguished road
No people don't laugh - the really genuine ones are glad that you're taking some responsibility for the way you look and your general health. There are a lot of regular and quite ordinary guys in most gyms. Not everyone is built like Schwarzenegger. I would just encourage to join, work hard and be amazed at how you feel and how the hard work really does produce results.
A good gym should offer you initial support and advice. Mothing beats a personal trainer, if available, for advice and motivation.
Go for it!
  #4   Add to Tronald's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM

Tronald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclekid7 View Post
People check out other gym goers, and you'll get some looks, but no one will laugh.

Personally, when I see an heavily overweight person in the gym, *if I even think about them*, I literally just think "good for him/her." Everybody in the gym is a work in progress; nobody's at the end of their road, and a lot of people in there will know what it's like to start off overweight.
I agree. When I see out of-shape people (fat or skinny), I admire their character and resolve, and remember how I felt starting out. Sure, I find it easy to admire Ripped dudes for their results but actually hard to admire for their inner person (since you never quite know in that case how much is genetic or synthetic, and how much is determination and work). With out of shape people, what really shows is the determination and work.

The only two kinds of people I've ever thought ill of at the gym, and it has everything to do with thoughtfulness:
1) those with powerfully bad body odor who neither covers the machines with a towel nor cleans them when done.
2) the thin, young guy in street clothes using big, dangerous, swingy motions on the lat pulldown bar. Easiest way to not be *that* guy is noobie rule of thumb: if you can do it slowly, it probably isn't bad form and certainly won't call attention to you.

Last edited by Tronald; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
  #5   Add to Sacsteve's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM

Sacsteve is on a distinguished road
Guys are particularly not annoyed if you start out by hiring a trainer for a period of time so you know what you are doing and don't take up equipment just guessing how it should be used.
  #6   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:11 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There are three kinds of guys you'll find in the gym - the ones that will tell you what to do, the ones that will offer advice, but wait for consent before giving you it, and the ones that won't pay you much attention.

Ignore the ones that give you unsolicited advice, and listen to the ones that offer advice. Those are the ones that are more likely to know what they're talking about, and will be friendly enough that you can probably ask them for more than they're offering.

Beyond that, I definitely recommend getting a trainer if you're at all concerned about doing things incorrectly. The alternative is to do your homework properly beforehand, and learn what you need to learn. If you already have some idea of good form, you can probably just ask a trainer (or someone else competent) to watch you do a set and let you know if there's something wrong with your form.

If you haven't already done your homework, definitely get a trainer - doing it wrong is often worse than not doing it at all, in terms of health (due to risk of injury or just wasting of time).

EDIT: Also, Tronald's advice regarding ability to do movements slowly is fairly good advice. A more exact way to put it is "always be in control of your movements". This is especially true at the point of maximum contraction (always hold it for just a moment at that point). A common thing to see at a gym is posers who grab/set weights significantly too heavy for them, and start swinging them around, thinking they're doing well. For example, while doing bench press, the bar should be applying full pressure on your hands at all times - if the bar feels lighter in your hands at the top, you're doing it wrong.
  #7   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
I agree, 98% of people are never going to say anything to you. Everyone is there pretty much for themselves.

If you're overweight and doing the work to fix it I can't think of very many people who wouldn't support you. That's what going to the gym is about.. effort to change.
  #8   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
I am one of the fat guys at my gym and if anything, many people there are impressed when I get in there and bust my ass lifting an hour plus a night four nights a week and some are truely impressed with what I can do!
  #9   Add to phoenix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:14 AM

phoenix is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
I started out, grossly overweight...

My grandmother always told me
"Everyone has to start somewhere..." God rest her, she was always fucking right...

Yeah some people can be absolute dicks, but most, either just get on with their own stuff or are fairly supportive. Find the right gym, definitely the best thing you can do is look around. I found a cheap monthly payment with 6 weekly free PT sessions. The absolute lad taught me everything I know, and was incredibly supportive. Start out, just hit it hard. I can't imagine my life without it now, you'll soon be hooked if you give it a good enough go.

Keep us updated, most people on the forum are more than happy to help support you. I certainly am.

Dal dy dir

JJ
  #10   Add to Tronald's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM

Tronald is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacsteve View Post
Guys are particularly not annoyed if you start out by hiring a trainer for a period of time so you know what you are doing and don't take up equipment just guessing how it should be used.
I think its very hard to find the right trainer: At my gym, they're like the usolicited advice guy, except you're paying them and they call attention to you. The you tube stuff is a pretty good (and free) alternative, like Scott Herman or Tuan Tran (roughneckasian)
  #11   Add to jman250's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM

jman250 is on a distinguished road
If you do start without a trainer, pick a goal and focus on it. I'd suggest starting with low weights and keeping a high heart rate if you're trying to lose weight.

A quick piece of advice while you're forming habits: Never, ever worry about how much weight somebody else lifts in comparison with your own lifts. Lift what's right for you. There's nothing worse than developing a complex because you feel you're not lifting enough when, really, you're at the right weight/should be focusing on form/developing the necessary strength.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
  #12   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM

bulkinupbig
Just do it!

Hatshathats,
There is a "pleasantly plump" female who just joined the gym last month and she has been pushing herself on the treadmill, reclining bicycle and on some of the machines. While I don't know her personally, I have watched her put forth some amazing effort and for that I have given her a thumbs up when I see her working hard in the gym.

Not sure what she thinks about a thumbs up from a former competitive bodybuilder, but again I appreciate her effort to want to transform herself.
That in itself is admirable.
So hatshathats... stop worrying about what other people think.
Dress appropriately for the gym and put forth maximum effort.
Cheers,
bulkinupbig
  #13   Add to unstud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM

unstud is on a distinguished road
Honestly? I always try and make a point of smiling at or offering a friendly hello to the heavier people I see working out at my gym. Lord knows its hard for any of us to motivate, and I think it's especially wonderful when someone pushes past their own fears, inhibitions or habits.

There are a few younger guys at my gym who have been coming regularly for a year or more and have lost a lot of weight, going from pretty heavy to average/fit. I've noticed that they get a lot of friendly attention. Commitment impresses people. You won't be harassed or taunted. It's not (thank god) high school.
  #14   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
What is interesting about people joining gyms is at one time the guys that are extremely muscular may at one time been the 'fat' ones. If you look at it in that way, then I wouldn't be ashamed or wonder what others think.

Instead of them laughing, they may surprise you and say that they were in your position at one time in their lives. Everyone has to start somewhere and work their ways up the ladder. The hardest part is the diet/eating, the actual workout programs are much easier. Trust me!
  #15   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:

Another ex-fatty here. Good advice already given, I'll just add more encouragement to just do it, start today. You'll thank yourself over and over.
(needless to say, I'm all for fat people taking control of their body and making the change they want!)
  #16   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
No people don't laugh - the really genuine ones are glad that you're taking some responsibility for the way you look and your general health. There are a lot of regular and quite ordinary guys in most gyms. Not everyone is built like Schwarzenegger. I would just encourage to join, work hard and be amazed at how you feel and how the hard work really does produce results.
A good gym should offer you initial support and advice. Mothing beats a personal trainer, if available, for advice and motivation.
Go for it!
totally agree just do it mate and go for it mate
  #17   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM

paarke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to paarke
I had exactly the same fears as you the first time I went into a gym, but in all honesty, everyone is so busy doing there own thing they really don't notice, and if anything, the people I did talk to were helpful and encouraging. If you think about it everyone in there is at a different stage on the same journey.
  #18   Add to chitownbber's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM

chitownbber is on a distinguished road
I think its great and i try to be supportive and friendly. None of us are perfect. Ive been to many many gyms and for the most part Ive found polite friendly supportive environments.

Believe it or not, one of the best, friendliest places i ever lifted was THE Golds gym in Venice. I was stunned and hated to leave. I went in intimidated as hell and couldnt believe what i found.

The worst experience ever was when I walked into Kevin Levrone's Powerhouse gym south of baltimore. the skinny little young punk behind the counter was very dismissive of me and said "this is a hardcore bodybuilding gym" (as if to say "your type isnt welcome here")

Best of luck and dont hold back.
  #19   Add to iluvmassivemusl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Big C

iluvmassivemusl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to iluvmassivemusl
To all the converted fat people

Did you ever feel like you were giving yourself up because you were tired of the world perceiving you as ugly or fat even though you were comfortable?
Just a hypothetical question.
  #20   Add to garrix's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM

garrix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garrix
When I see a fat guy in a gym I think -- Good! I don't think negative things about fat guys in a gym, quite the opposite. Its admirable for someone to get into a gym and have the courage and determination to change their body and overcome insecurities.

Truth is though, I try to focus on what I'm doing and I really don't care or give any thought to other people in the gym, unless they're really hot.
  #21   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
The 'fat' myth is clearly debunked about gyms obviously. Guys clearly are so focused on their workouts that they don't have the time to judge others. Of course I know the guys on here are so courteous that we may be exceptions.

This forum is really the best place to get your hopes up for really anything.
  #22   Add to backmask's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:49 PM

backmask is on a distinguished road
I will almost always approach someone if it looks like they are doing something terribly wrong, regardless of size. More times than not I try not to focus on other people (unless there's eye candy. Different story), but if it looks like an injury is imminent then I will chime in.
Otherwise it doesn't matter at all to me who's at the gym. More times than not I'm happy to see overweight people in the gym because they're taking action which is admirable and motivational. And I will never, ever shoot anyone down if they have a question or just want to say hi.
Gym folks are pretty friendly
  #23   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Former fatty as well here. People who train seriously are too into themselves to care about whether you're fat. They'll probably appreciate and respect you if you take your own workouts and (judging by your progress or lack thereof, DIET) seriously, and will definitely take note if you're one of those people that monopolize equipment yakking on a cellphone or downloading your playlist.

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle
  #24   Add to MuscleMutant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:37 AM

MuscleMutant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MuscleMutant
You gotta root for fat people working out. They're trying to deal with their situation in the correct way. I always think to myself, "Yeah.. good for you.. go for it..."
  #25   Add to muscledogg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
muscledogg

muscledogg is on a distinguished road
i agree 100%...when i see a heavy person really working hard, i can't help but admire the person for taking charge of his life...no negative feelings from me or my musclehead friends...
  #26   Add to Muscled6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM

Muscled6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Good Friend

A good friend in the gym started 3 years ago at well over 340 pounds. He's now one of the most jacked dudes (seriously looks f'n awesome), dropped over 140 pounds in the process and is a new man. I've done my best to help keep his motivation up and he's turned into a serious inspiration to everyone there. Unfortunately there are always those who will look at you funny, but screw them. You will earn respect and friends if you are sincere about changing your diet and working hard to accomplish your goal. Good people will support you!
  #27   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Gotta beat Richard to this one...pix dammit, pix!

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
- Dorothy Parker

"Faces fall, but a bicep's forever."
- Eager Muscle

"A personal trainer is someone who works for your lunch money."
- Eager Muscle

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text