The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Steroids
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Steroids General information, discussion and experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to letylive's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Never to BIG

letylive is on a distinguished road
Myostatin

Hi does anyone of you ever tried myostatin?
If it would work i would like to try it!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Uh... you don't want to try myostatin

Myostatin is a protein in the body that strongly appears to be what stops muscles from growing larger.

What you would be looking for is a myostatin blocker. There are no products I've ever heard of on the market today that are proven to any degree whatsoever in being able to block myostatin.

I just did a search on bodybuilding.com for a myostatin blocker, and only one product came up, which only "suggests" that it "provide for normal levels of myostatin production"... which doesn't mean ANYTHING. We aren't seeking normal myostatin production... it is likely that most of us have that already, without doing any supplement. We want LOWER than normal levels of myostatin.
  #3   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:39 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
First checking bodybuilding.com for current research is a mistake. There are clinical trials right now in the Children's Hospital of Ohio on Follistatin which has been out forabout 2 years. Some bodybuilders have used it with some success but it is rather expensive. It cost about 200 per mg wich will give you 4 shots over a 2 week period. You would need to google the actual peptide to get more information.
  #4   Add to Shippou's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM

Shippou is on a distinguished road
I find messing with the endocrine system, especially with things like follistatin, a little bit risky; the body has too many interdependent systems controlling hormone levels, and more often than not it'll backfire when the body begins to over-correct. Myostatin inhibitors, on the other hand, have a much more direct and specific mechanism of action on muscle growth and muscle growth only. Unfortunately, myostatin inhibitors that have been cleared by the FDA does not exist.

To be honest though, the production of myostatin inhibitors (antibody-based or solubilized activin type 2 receptor binding domains) would not actually be very difficult. My guess, a year's worth of work could probably result in a product usable in mice models, given modest funds. Another possibility that would also work is some form of activin type 2 receptor antagonist, though this would be considerably harder to make. Admittedly, my experience working with mammalian protein and antibody products is limited, but this is just my two cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shippou For This Useful Post:
garrix (February 7th, 2013)
  #5   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:51 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Apparently, blocking is not enough, you want to cut the feedback mechanism, since the body reacts by increasing production.
If it were easy, it would have been done. so many wasting diseases out there!
  #6   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:29 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by inm View Post
Apparently, blocking is not enough, you want to cut the feedback mechanism, since the body reacts by increasing production.
If it were easy, it would have been done. so many wasting diseases out there!
I've always wondered what would happen if you went in the other direction? What would happen if, instead of blocking the myostatin, you intentionally pumped yourself full of it for a few months.

I mean, that should, in theory, cause your body to almost shut down production, shouldn't it? Isn't that basically why various steroids cause testicular shrinkage and hormone problems? Because the body sees too much steroidal hormones and cuts back production?

Of course, it wouldn't really be a good idea for wasting diseases, because non-extreme myostatin levels are probably the only thing keeping their muscles from completely necrotising. But for more... normal people, shouldn't it work?

Not that I'd offer myself as a guinea pig for the idea. Just speculating.
  #7   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
If your expecting the FDA to approve something like follistatin or a myostatin inhibitor forget it. They approve a lot of things but usually the approval comes after the drug companies have paid a lot of $$$$ There is a study on follistatin currently and the results should be published hopefully this year. I do knwo that prople have used it with some success. realize that myostatin is a protein chain that your body makes naturally to limit size growth very few mamles are ever born with out it. If you want some more info on follistatin let me know

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options