The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Cardio Progression

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on cardio that I could incorporate into my routine. I've got a high bf% (started at 33-34, at around 28-29% now after a few months of heavy training), and even though my ultimate goal is to gain size and muscle mass, my personal trainer and I agree that my cardio needs to improve or else it will hold me back.

When I first hired a PT, in September, he started me on doing sprint intervals on the treadmill, where I would do about 5 minutes of 8-second sprints and 12-second rests (stepping off the "tread" for the rests). I started doing 3 sets of these, but have worked up to 4-5 sets with active rest for 3-4 minutes in between.

Alternatively, he'd have me on the rowing cardio machine, with the goal of reaching 1000 metres (originally in under 4:40 minutes, but now I'm at under 4 minutes). Then, that personal trainer got fired from my gym and I got a new one with a different plan, and never found out what cardio I was supposed to do next.

I see my current trainer twice a week (all I can afford) and he's got a good plan that's working (mainly supersets...we started with whole body, but now are gradually working into an upper/lower split with increased intensity), and he isn't too concerned about WHAT I do for cardio, just that I DO it.

My gym is well-equipped, though I prefer to use the treadmill over any of the elipticals/bikes/etc. I HATE the rowing machine, but that's only because it's effective and really makes me work.

Any ideas what I should be working towards cardio wise?

Also, I'll be playing rugby again in the spring, so anything that can prepare for that is helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
How about doing real sprints - outdoors, 100m or so at a time, on a grassy area? Should be more effective in preparing you for real sprinting during a rugby match.

Personally, I'd space out the sprinting in the most natural way I can think of - sprint one way, walk back the other way for recovery. To add challenge, do it on an incline or add turning points so that you're not sprinting in a straight line.

Other than that, I'd recommend doing cycling classes, if your gym offers them. They're great for varying the workout, and keeping you moving for a decent length of time (the class I do is a 45 minute class). It works the legs pretty hard, which should be good for rugby.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Aielyn For This Useful Post:
The Magus (November 4th, 2012)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options