You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ydt81's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM

ydt81 is on a distinguished road
The 'Hidden' Side of Bodybuilding

Lately it seems a bunch of folks in the more mainstream BB/fitness community have had a long overdue awakening to the 'shadier' sides of bodybuilding that help fund athletes: Cam Shows, Posing Sessions, "Gay4Pay" etc.

In addition, to the Matt "flexforall' Ogus issue, there are other examples of peoples careers being affected by what they did in the past. [see the vid below].

As you might've guessed, the tone of the discussion has been pretty negative and admonishing. This isn't a new issue and the trend remains the same--There's a certain "Seller's Remorse" amongst the few BBers that talk about it . This same feeling has even affected a few artists and authors in the related areas of Muscle/Muscle Growth 'fetish'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meA4y_IygWA

I just wanted to know your thoughts, feelings, experience on the matter: Has this affected how you watch muscle media? Do these vids/pics actually affect career paths in bodybuilding or is it a myth?

[Maybe I'm just late to the topic, and I apologize if there's another thread that has covered this. If so, let me know, and I'll shut up]
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to ydt81's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:12 PM

ydt81 is on a distinguished road
My Thoughts

Honestly, over time it has affected the muscle media that I choose to watch. It gets to be a bummer/nuisance wondering whether the guy on screen will regret what he's doing in a few years. I know I shouldn't bother thinking about it but, alas I do.

This is also why I can't stand obnoxious shows like Tosh.0 that make a circus of people's niche interests. It's cheap humor and for all we know, the material is picked up by a staff member who enjoys muscle himself.

Still, it kind of seems like a problem with no solution. The 'shady' side of things will always be considered 'shady'. What I don't think is fair is the tremendous effect it can have on a bodybuilders success, when it seems to be so ubiquitous.

In the end, Even though the scrappy amateurs on YT and other places are nowhere near as impressive, it's always a plus to see guys doing because they want to. There's even a clear difference in presentation.

And I'm finding that stories/art that are further removed from reality are *a little* more appealing to me these days, if not for their fantasy, then for the fact that theirs a lower-likelihood of regret. =/
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options