The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Dreamforge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM

Dreamforge is on a distinguished road
The Total Nerd Amelioration Experiment

Hmmm... This will be a lengthy post. There will be a point down there somewhere but first, the superfluous filler.

I've attempted to go through with this countless of times before and have more-or-less failed time and time again. It might actually be just my impenetrable stubbornness that's keeping me from tossing this off and taking whatever passes for personal contentment these days. I've been lurking around here for quite a while now and I'm aware that I might actually look a tad more pathetic asking this stuff in an internet forum. But what the hey. I appreciate the irony.

Anyway, here's the gist of it: I am a nerd. Maybe not your run-of-the-mill variety but I've got your thick-framed glasses, bad posture, and encyclopedic command of obscure information right here. Being a Nerd in the Third World, I'm not exactly the techno-savvy type (even though I spend almost 16 hours a day in front of a PC). "Old School" might be a better term to describe me... providing that the "school" dates back to at least the 15th Century.

Ever since I was little, I've always prefigured myself as a Renaissance Man: I'm a prose writer and poet of some very minor local esteem, I've managed to make a living out of Graphics Design, I'm a published scriptwriter for local manga (Japanese-style comics) plus I've done some seminal works in the fields of electric chamber music (yeah... I know...), film, drama, photography, sculpture, game design and philosophical inquiry. I thrive on engaging conversation and I'm personally proud of the fact that I'm not a acerbic jackass despite having very strong convictions (friends have actually professed enjoying arguments with me).

Here's the problem though: I'm 24 years old and I am very, very human. Where I'm at, it's not the hottest thing in the world to compose short concertos or discuss Aristotelean Poetics. Then again, I suppose the same goes for the rest of the civilized world.

To top it off, I'm morbidly insecure. I stutter around the women I like, I'm clumsy and a tad oafish detached from a computer, my absent mindedness is legendary in a number of social circles and I often talk too much (but you already know that). It also doesn't help that I have all the physique and roguish good looks of a Ty Beanie Baby. I want to be able to convert at least some of my burgeoning egomania into self-esteem but theres that self-image issue to contend with.

And no, I prefer not to deal with the underlying psychological issue first. I find the discontentment justified. I want to change. Not into a non-nerd, though. I want to be something of a "hot nerd" - someone with the type of body capable of accentuating sex appeal into a robust imagination or a working intellect. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Problem is, I'm rather at a loss as to how to do it. I have my physique to overhaul, my skin to run through the acid wash, my wardrobe to burn and restock... all the while having to take guff at an all-guy's art studio for being the meek little weakling with the strict reservations against acting like a barbarous troglodyte. All day, five days a week.

If anyone has any suggestions, I can only be glad to go through them. If anyone can keep me monitored or at least motivated throughout, I offer my skills in gratitude.

(In this day and age, it's always handy to have a competent graphics designer around for an occasional free pinch of art here and there. I have an online gallery at omniskriba.deviantart.com)
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Heya. I hope you haven't given up on this forum yet, because it took so long for someone to reply.

Well, I'm talkative too; too bad.

The first thing you need to do is to quit making excuses for yourself. You have set yourself a goal, and staying where you are is not going to get you there. It's as simple as that, and as difficult as that. It's where most get stuck already.

Buying nice new clothing is not difficult in itself; it just comes down to your financial situation. For that reason, let me just focus on the working out. I know you haven't even mentioned you wanting to, but why else would you post here? Yes, it is indeed what you need to do if you want to transform your body. That, or stuff your face with fatty things; it just depends on the physique you're aiming for.

I know it can be hard to make a first step in the direction. I know I wanted to change my physique ever since my 12th, and it took yet another seven years for me to actually systematically do something about it. I'm not going to deny it; I was simply too damn shy do go to a gym, and I don't think people like you and me can ever be successful working out in that unused backroom of our house. You may well need a gym to create a space where the only thing you can do is work out.

And there, you'll me among the people who are much cooler, more confident, and stronger than you are. Yeah, right... Everyone had to start somewhere, and it totally doesn't matter that there are a few self-obsessed jerks lifting weights that are too heavy for their own good; you just start out with the lightest weight you can handle comfortably, and you focus on good form. And you return there about 3 or 4 times a week, and you stop making excuses for yourself. Sure, 'it's too busy there' and 'there's a guy using all the machines I want to use' and 'ahh, I just don't have the energy today' will cross your mind, but that never got anyone anywhere.

No more excuses, only you can change yourself. Other people can only help you further forward or drag you back; they cannot stop you from reaching your goal, though.

Good luck and go for it. Feel free to ask anything you want, if you ever read this.
  #3   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
We're not so different, you and I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamforge View Post
I've attempted to go through with this countless of times before and have more-or-less failed time and time again. It might actually be just my impenetrable stubbornness that's keeping me from tossing this off and taking whatever passes for personal contentment these days. I've been lurking around here for quite a while now and I'm aware that I might actually look a tad more pathetic asking this stuff in an internet forum. But what the hey. I appreciate the irony.
Dispite what people say, the internet really is a FANTASTIC source of information if you're willing to put some time into it.

I've gotten help with things ranging from my taxes to my workout plans from "strangers" on the internet. Few people are sick enough to try and hurt you, but some care wrong... you just have to know better.

What I'm saying is that you're NOT pathetic for posting these things on an internet forum. Sometimes the anonyminity of the internet let's us come out a bit further then we would in front of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamforge
Anyway, here's the gist of it: I am a nerd. Maybe not your run-of-the-mill variety but I've got your thick-framed glasses, bad posture, and encyclopedic command of obscure information right here. Being a Nerd in the Third World, I'm not exactly the techno-savvy type (even though I spend almost 16 hours a day in front of a PC). "Old School" might be a better term to describe me... providing that the "school" dates back to at least the 15th Century.
Ditto.

Braces, glasses, sci-fi enthusiast...

You are not alone or without help.

Quote:
Ever since I was little, I've always prefigured myself as a Renaissance Man: I'm a prose writer and poet of some very minor local esteem, I've managed to make a living out of Graphics Design, I'm a published scriptwriter for local manga (Japanese-style comics) plus I've done some seminal works in the fields of electric chamber music (yeah... I know...), film, drama, photography, sculpture, game design and philosophical inquiry. I thrive on engaging conversation and I'm personally proud of the fact that I'm not a acerbic jackass despite having very strong convictions (friends have actually professed enjoying arguments with me).
You have a natrual charisma. That's great!

Quote:
Here's the problem though: I'm 24 years old and I am very, very human. Where I'm at, it's not the hottest thing in the world to compose short concertos or discuss Aristotelean Poetics. Then again, I suppose the same goes for the rest of the civilized world.

To top it off, I'm morbidly insecure. I stutter around the women I like, I'm clumsy and a tad oafish detached from a computer, my absent mindedness is legendary in a number of social circles and I often talk too much (but you already know that). It also doesn't help that I have all the physique and roguish good looks of a Ty Beanie Baby. I want to be able to convert at least some of my burgeoning egomania into self-esteem but theres that self-image issue to contend with.
Well, you have a goal and that's a good place to start.

Quote:
And no, I prefer not to deal with the underlying psychological issue first. I find the discontentment justified. I want to change. Not into a non-nerd, though. I want to be something of a "hot nerd" - someone with the type of body capable of accentuating sex appeal into a robust imagination or a working intellect. I want to have my cake and eat it too.
Don't. We. All.

Quote:
Problem is, I'm rather at a loss as to how to do it. I have my physique to overhaul, my skin to run through the acid wash, my wardrobe to burn and restock... all the while having to take guff at an all-guy's art studio for being the meek little weakling with the strict reservations against acting like a barbarous troglodyte. All day, five days a week.

If anyone has any suggestions, I can only be glad to go through them. If anyone can keep me monitored or at least motivated throughout, I offer my skills in gratitude.

(In this day and age, it's always handy to have a competent graphics designer around for an occasional free pinch of art here and there. I have an online gallery at omniskriba.deviantart.com)
Well, I only started working out a few months ago and AM seeing marked improvements in my physique and I imagine a change in confidence will follow once other people start noticing (just yesterday someone said my arms looked bigger ).

I don't know much about your personal life, but if you can find just ONE person you can talk to about health then it would go a LONG way to motivate you, especially if this person is willing to go to the gym with you.

I had this luxory, so I hope there is SOMEONE you can ask, either at the office... or in your naighborhood... or maybe at the local gym?

People are REALLY friendly (I have found) and as long as you observe basic etiquite, they are ALWAYS willing to help you if you ask.

I don't know what your diet is or what your finance situation is like, but you're probably going to want to change what you eat. You may find this has a positive effect on your complexion as well.

The hard part is those first few gym visits. I hated them. I was afraid everyone would see me benching that empty bar... but no one cares. Just as you are worried about your workout, they're worried about their workout.

I know how you feel. I felt the same way. Here's MY POST.

Never think you're alone and never think you can't ask for help.
  #4   Add to Dreamforge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Actually I was thinking that my post might have been a bit too meandering but I certainly was thrilled to receive a reply.

Yes, I am working on a sustainable work-out schedule to fit in to my work (one that not only mangled my sleeping habits sideways but also manages to occupy my schedule for random hours at a time). I've been getting some good advice already but I'm glad to get all the help I can get. I must admit motivation is a iffy thing for me as the main thing pushing me towards bettering myself is, ironically, my crippling lack of self esteem ?_?

I've been in a gym a couple of times and there is one I go to that's secluded enough. I'd probably do well with a gym buddy though, but those aren't very easy to come by around these parts. Then again, I suppose it would if I wasn't so darned anti-social (or socially inept, whichever).

In any case, thanks a lot for replying. It keeps me in track of my physique goals - something I easily tend to put aside, at the expense of getting a body reminiscent of an under-baked bavarian cream muffin ?_?
  #5   Add to Dreamforge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbraxis View Post
We're not so different, you and I...

Dispite what people say, the internet really is a FANTASTIC source of information if you're willing to put some time into it.

I've gotten help with things ranging from my taxes to my workout plans from "strangers" on the internet. Few people are sick enough to try and hurt you, but some care wrong... you just have to know better.

What I'm saying is that you're NOT pathetic for posting these things on an internet forum. Sometimes the anonyminity of the internet let's us come out a bit further then we would in front of others.

Oh... eh heh heh... actually, I really didn't mean "pathetic" like that. I just thought it overscored my inability to ask people I know - people who are well used to me being the weakest of the bunch that they give me weird glances (or outright laughter) when I bring the subject up ?_?
  #6   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
If I might chime in

Most obscure piece of information I know: Kiribati changed it's timezone from GMT +12 / GMT +13 to GMT 14 to make sure the whole nation was in the same timezone. The fact that this meant that Kiribati became the first nation to see the new year in was "mere concidence".

Weight Change between Feb 2007 and present time: -18lbs (213lbs to 195lbs)

Location: Middle of the Welsh countryside (where if you are unable to answer the question "Could you tell me the National Assembly's policy on the prevention of bovine TB and it's implications on the badger population of Wales?" in perfect Welsh and without stuttering once, you are able to gain employment)

You see, it's not just you. The majority of us are in the same boat.
  #7   Add to Dreamforge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
Location: Middle of the Welsh countryside (where if you are unable to answer the question "Could you tell me the National Assembly's policy on the prevention of bovine TB and it's implications on the badger population of Wales?" in perfect Welsh and without stuttering once, you are able to gain employment)

You see, it's not just you. The majority of us are in the same boat.
I actually like the sound of that boat. Where I come from, if I was able to answer the question "Could you tell me the Department of Agriculture's policy on the prevention of bovine hide parasites and it's implications on the egret population of North Western Cavite?" in perfect Tagalog and without stuttering once, I'd officially be too "anti-social" to keep an employee-level job... even in a University Faculty (as I've found out first hand). The folk out here have been on a bit of an anti-intellectual bent these last couple of decades which is why I'm so keen on improving my body (if you look good, no one minds if you're a bit abnormal).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options