The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM

RPM is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RPM
Tom Owen: new Human Speed Bump World Record attempt - 8 trucks - Oct 17, Arizona

Press Release: EXTREME EVENTS THRILL AT THIS YEAR'S ARIZONA STATE FAIR

Quote:
The Human Speed Bump Attempts New Guinness World Record

[...]

On Oct. 17, Tom Owen, aka the Human Speed Bump, will attempt to set a new Guinness World Record with up to eight trucks weighing a minimum of 30,000 pounds rolling over his abs of steel. Can this strongman break the world record for strength? Spectators can gather in the Coliseum North Plaza to watch Tom as truck after truck after truck drive over his bare stomach.

[...]

Tom Owen has won multiple powerlifting and bodybuilding titles throughout his five decade career, including his current title of Master Mr. USA and Master Mr. North America. He has set several world records with his strength and his strongman performances have earned him a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Oct. 17: Human Speed Bump world record attempt, 5:25pm
Event entry with directions

OH GOD I WISH I COULD GO!

WHY oh WHY is this taking place HALFWAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY FROM ME?!?

LOL I swear there had BETTER be like super-extensive media coverage and news clips and video footage of this. The first video I ever posted was his previous world record of being run over by 7 trucks totalling 26,000 lbs:

Now he's going for 8 with a minimum of 30,000 lbs

I mean, not like that first video isn't impressive, but it's getting a bit old after 6 years.

Plus, just the thrill of being there... one thing the media footage never really covers is the crowd's reaction. I'd love to experience that as much as the show itself.

Anyway, I'm done swooning and griping for tonight. Just thought this would be a good heads-up for anybody able to attend, and hopefully those of us who can't will be able to find some good coverage to compensate.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to michaellinn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM

michaellinn is on a distinguished road
damn he's hot but it still puzzles me why people would do some really stupid things like that for a few minutes of fame.
  #3   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Hmm, what's so puzzling?

None of these strongmen do their feats or training to injure themselves (though the nature of the sport allows for it), they do it because they've reached such an immense level of strength that pulling (or getting run over by) a semi is no different for them than pulling (or getting run over by) a small car is for an intermediate athlete. I mean I guess I know what it sounds like at first, but Owen says he's been run over more than 1,000 times in his years and that it doesn't hurt, barring a few careless injuries like when he kicked his legs up in that video. He can just hold a truck on his abs like a regular person could hold another person; it's a higher level of strength, not a higher pain tolerance. This isn't a jackass stunt.

But even with some injuries, he's raised over $50 million for orphan homes and other charities the last 25 years through his performances, so I'd say that's worth the occasional cut, bruise or even cracked rib, and probably the main reason I support him and would love to see him just once.
  #4   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
Hate to break it to you, but his upcoming attempt will get ZERO coverage. This stuff that you and I so love just doesn't sell on TV, not even the specialized cable channels that's what get me.

also see my same post on Muscle Daddies thread.
  #5   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Well, perhaps it won't be live footage, but his last record of 7 obviously made it to Guinness Primetime which is where the above footage comes from. Since it's being advertised as a new Guinness World Record, I'm pretty sure a similar crew will be there to capture it in some form. Whether or not they get an eventual or even immediate broadcast, I don't know. Even more still images would be great. I knew a guy from a motorbiking forum who actually got to drive his bike over Tom's stomach 13 times (along with some other riders from his area) for a motorcycle record some years ago, he said there was all kinds of press for that one. Then somebody else on the forum said they heard about that on the news and their first thought was that that guy had to be involved somehow, and then weren't surprised to find out he actually was. So yeah, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on hopes that anything Guinness World Record-setting will get at least some coverage. It's being advertised a lot in Arizona papers already.
  #6   Add to RPM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM

More press:

New at the State Fair

This article talks a bit more about Tom and has some new info about his history and how he got started.

Also, Extreme Fun at State Fair

If there's this much leading up to it, there may yet be hope for at least some photographs

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options