The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:46 PM
The Inspiration.

achilles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to achilles Send a message via MSN to achilles Send a message via Yahoo to achilles
Wink Ways Being Being Isn't All Good...

In a departure from my transformation thread, over time it has occurred to me now and again that getting BIG hasn't been all good. Oh yes, I found out that if you blow up from a shrimp to a superman that there are some... disadvantages that should be carefully considered. I guess big guys who have always been big might be used to these things, but for me they took some getting used to. Here's my list so far:

1. Uncomfortable Seating: The bigger I get, the more uncomfortable the average 'crowd capacity' seating gets. Airplane travel is a nightmare; I'd love to be rich enough to afford to fly business / premium class to let my new thick bod have room to spread out, but as it is I'm always in cattle class, and thus have to endure hours of discomfort. It was never a problem before, but these days I dread getting on a plane. Same story for theaters. I went to an arts festival to see some standup comedy, and instead of having a laugh spent the entire gig hunched forward because otherwise my delts and triceps would have been occupying a good chunk of my neighbours seat. These guys just don't build seats for bodybuilders!

2. New Chafing: I dread summer, I do. Summer means pain. Why pain? Because my high-metabolism body was fine at keeping cool before, not so fine with an additional 80lb of meat on my frame, so I find myself sweating. And alas, I have grown my muscles to the point that they rub up against each other - my quads for example, and my lats against my triceps. When I work all day in the summer, these places become pain points of redness. The bigger I get, the worse it gets. And I still WANT to get bigger. I must be a masocist.

3. Personal Space Issues: Not the psychological kind, but the physical. I work on my feet all day, moving about in close quarters with other people. There is a problem I had to deal with when I first blew up, and now and again when I have another growth 'spurt', is that my brain doesn't seem to realise quite how much room I now take up. So I tend to collide with people / things / doorframes. A lot. Fine if you're an inanimate object. Not so fine if you're one of my female co-workers who weigh considerably less. Or the male ones, come to think of it! Bumping into things and people is just something I've (and others) have had to get used to.

4. Flexibility: Just this week I found out I have increased my muscle mass to the point that I can no longer touch my elbows together. Someone asked if I could do it, and I thought "Of course I can". Then I discovered that in fact, my pecs and triceps just wouldn't allow the two to meet. They thought it was funny watching me struggle to try, proceeded to demonstrate how easy it was for them, and then told me it was proof I had gotten too big. Actually, I have yet to work out how not being able to move fully like normal folks is really a disadvantage, but I hope the answer doesn't come in some form of life-threatening situation!

5. Not built for speed anymore. Or long distances. Or slopes. In fact, better not to move much at all! Discovered whilst being taken hiking last year. I once used to love hiking - I'd go out with a group, and I would ALWAYS be the one at the very front, impatiently waiting for others to catch up, heading off again up the mountains with ease and speed. Then after I got big, I was taken out again, and the change couldn't have been more evident. Now I was the one at the very back, huffing, trying to keep up with everyone else. All that extra muscle mass I was carrying really proved a burden! I won't be running any marathons any time soon then...

6. Weird threads man. Oooh, I know, this one is such a bad problem to have, right. But it is! Clothes shopping is a pain! No t-shirts properly fit my arms, or if they do they're like tarpulins in other areas. And jeans / pants manufacturers clearly have no clue what's going on with the waist / thigh ratio that I have. Getting shirts for work is the biggest pain. But if I'm going to get bigger, I shouldn't complain too hard, right?

That's my list so far. Feel free to add your own, my fellow muscleheads! Extra points if you sneak in some humor

--
Training Since: September 15th 2006
Muscle-lover Since: Birth!

Last edited by achilles; November 2nd, 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: (tweaked the post title)
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
I have the same issues here are a few more.

Pants, they just do not fit, even the custom made ones barely fit. Heavy squats have made it virtually impossible to fit my legs and butt into a pair of dress pants. People at the gym say I have squatters glutes, my wife teases me that my butt needs its own zipcode and that it looks like a beachball in my pants.

Food its expensive to eat healthy and I find that I am always hungry. My appetite and the amount I eat throughout the day freaks some people out.

I also find that it is a bit more difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position .

All in all I don't mind these minor problems they are nothing compared to the benefits.
  #3   Add to karateboy310's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:20 PM

karateboy310 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to karateboy310 Send a message via AIM to karateboy310 Send a message via MSN to karateboy310 Send a message via Yahoo to karateboy310
Never thought of it that way, thank you for the insights. Enjoy it though have a ton of fun with it
  #4   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:20 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
I've run into some of those over the past year and in some cases being fat too doesn't help any. Chafing hasn't happened as much lately as it did in the past (haven't figured that one yet) and I'm slower on the move but don't tire out any easier than before atleast. I was at a convention last weekend and found that I could pretty much stand or walk all day and still walk back to were I parked with out much issue.....now getting back into the truck to leave, climbing out of it 45 minutes later at home and up stairs once there was a whole different story
  #5   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:17 PM

bulkinupbig
Glass half full vs. half empty

WhoDunit,
I am not sure how to respond to your posting other than to counter it by saying that despite some minor inconveniences... like availability of clothes, and the fact that my average weekly food bill is between $150 - $200... the journey to getting to 280 pounds of rock hard muscle has been worth every rep, every drop of sweat and every minute spent in the gym or downing another chicken breast or protein shake.

I remember training with a friend of mine who competed and when asked why he continued to compete... he replied "Because I know that 99% of the rest of the guys in this gym can't do it... and don't have the drive to do it."

While some people may quickly judge me as a "musclehead", when they find out that I have brains and brawn... it is the most intimidating combination.
I know that I have the drive, dedication, determination and discipline that most don't to hit it in the gym regularly.

I don't focus on the negative things... but look at the positive.
Perhaps you should look at the glass as half full vs. half empty.
bulkinupbig
  #6   Add to ytrewq's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:23 PM

ytrewq is on a distinguished road
Now I was the one at the very back, huffing, trying to keep up with everyone else. All that extra muscle mass I was carrying really proved a burden!

Wait what? I would understand if fat weighed someone down and drained their energy, but if what you've got is muscle mass, shouldn't that be giving you strength? Or is it just that you're upper body is wayy ahead of your legs?
  #7   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:48 PM

I've never looked, how much cardio does he do?
  #8   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:24 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
Finding a good position to sleep is getting a bit hard for me. I'm a side sleeper but now that shoulders are wider than hips, it's kinda hard to sleep confortably. I have a body pillow that does tend to help. Other times I'm flat on my back or using pillows to stomach sleep. Another thing I found out about sleeping is that my body temp is warmer so I find myself sleeping on top of the covers and dressed only in shorts (can't see myself in the buff sleeping)

Bumping into walls and objects is a good telling sign to rearrange the rooms in the home. ( I really need to do this ) I have a fridge right next to the door and I can't count the number of times I slightly nudged it only to hear the clatter of shaker cups.
  #9   Add to achilles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
The Inspiration.

achilles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to achilles Send a message via MSN to achilles Send a message via Yahoo to achilles
Oh yeah, and in case it isn't clear this is a HUMOR post in intention. Obviously, being big isn't a bad thing at all! I was just coming up with a list of inconveniences because it was fun to write

--
Training Since: September 15th 2006
Muscle-lover Since: Birth!
  #10   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:46 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
Yes, I deal with all of these drawbacks. Thoughts about particular issues:

Chafing: For legs, the right underwear helps. The best I've found is Lululemon's boxer briefs. Powder also helps.

Dress shirts: buy the circus tent shirts and have them brought in at the waist. It really doesn't cost that much. Also, I've found that Zappos has a decent selection of 3X and larger casual shirts that don't suck. Finding shirts that show some fashion sense is difficult when shopping for 2X and impossible when shopping for 3X unless you're online. Brick-and-mortar stores just don't carry many clothes for us.

Sleeping position: I have to stack two or three pillows under my head to lay on my side. Shoulder width is not always your friend.

No one mentioned these two issues:

Moving furniture. Everyone assumes I'm interested in helping them move.

"Join our gym 'cause you clearly work out!" I can't walk by a gym without some poor shmuck handing me a flyer to join. I politely ask how heavy the dumbbells go and after they answer I explain why that's not heavy enough. Then their eyes get big and I continue walking.
  #11   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragetiger View Post
Finding a good position to sleep is getting a bit hard for me. I'm a side sleeper but now that shoulders are wider than hips, it's kinda hard to sleep confortably. I have a body pillow that does tend to help. Other times I'm flat on my back or using pillows to stomach sleep. Another thing I found out about sleeping is that my body temp is warmer so I find myself sleeping on top of the covers and dressed only in shorts (can't see myself in the buff sleeping)

Bumping into walls and objects is a good telling sign to rearrange the rooms in the home. ( I really need to do this ) I have a fridge right next to the door and I can't count the number of times I slightly nudged it only to hear the clatter of shaker cups.
I tend to carry my wallet, box cutter (I work retail, so I carry one to open boxes), and keys in my front pockets and the bigger my quads have gotten, the worse problem I have with that. I go to walk through a door way, between counters, or even past a table and chair set and next thing I know, I'm bouncing the stuff in one of those pockets off something
  #12   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
I would not mind these inconveniences for the benefits of having all that muscle and strength. The running and climbing does suck a bit, but if you work at it enough, its not so bad... trust me, I used to have to wear about 100lbs of gear while in Iraq... your body gets used to it.
  #13   Add to kezzz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM

kezzz is on a distinguished road
Hey Achilles, not meant to be disrespectful but I'd be keen to see in person how small the coach seat is compare to your size, or all other objects that have difficulty to accomodate you.
  #14   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:02 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Here are a couple:

Driving: Went to the car show here in DC last winter and there are a LOT of 4-door vehicles (including some big SUV's) that I can't drive. I'm tall and big so I have to have the driver's seat all the way back and as low as possible for leg room and head room...the problem is, on some vehicles, my shoulders hit the frame between the front and back door and impede steering.

Sleeping: Two things here...1) I have a squatter's ass and too firm a mattress doesn't support the arch to my lower back; too soft a mattress doesn't support the heavier parts of my body (mostly upper body) enough and I wake up all contorted. 2) Sleeping on my side gives me a neck ache unless I've got 2 pillows and my arm under them to support my head. When the foam top I have starts to NOT keep it's shape (i.e., stays flat from my weight compressing it for too long, I have to use a pillow under my side between my lats and my hips until I can replace it. Finding the right combination of mattress firmness and a foam top is a PAIN.

Airplanes: I have to have an aisle seat (preferrably in the exit row if my partner can't get us upgraded to business or first ) so I can lean out...then I have to be aware of people moving up and down the aisle and the flight attendants and those STUPID carts or my shoulder is in the way.

Would I trade being big for anything? NO!!!

Last edited by Lucas88; November 1st, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
  #15   Add to kezzz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM

kezzz is on a distinguished road
Lucas88, sounded like your bedding issue can be an interesting challenge to the bed mattress manufacturing :-D - though it sounded so cute/hot/interesting (I'd imagine) to see you finding a sweet sleeping position.
  #16   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM

traveller
* Clothes & Chafing:
You may start noticing that your slacks/pants start getting holes where your thighs rub together. I had to throw away some great slacks because of the premature wearing. When it comes to jeans, I just don't wear ventilated ones at work, and don't go "commando" in them.

* Flexibility:
If you take up yoga, you may notice that your attempts to move into/stay in certain positions will appear pathetic to onlookers.

* Water
I sink in fresh water swimming pools. I've known that I have negative bouyancy since college when I weighed 70-80 lbs. less.

* Sleeping
Sleep apnea becomes a problem with higher BMI. I have thicker, more supportive pillows in bed to account for my shoulder width.

* Winter/Cold Weather
I can stay toasty warm with a light shirt on while people around me will wear a jacket. On the other hand, I tend to get longer snowboards in relation to my height because of my higher weight.

* Trapeze
I took a trapeze class to deal with my fear of heights. The amount of grip strength needed to keep me hanging on a trapeze bar while swinging back and forth is a lot greater than for someone half my weight.

* Furniture
I sat down on old wooden chair which made an odd creaking sound. I quickly moved to a more sturdy piece of furniture. My aunt and cousins laughed when they witnessed this.

* Getting Felt Up
Some people touch my arm with one hand, and then grip my upper arm with both hands. That's something I don't like unless I'm attracted to that person, or know that person well. Once in college a cute, fairly buff lacrosse jock I knew grabbed each of my pecs one by one, pushed each pec upward and let in drop down. Kind of weird experience in a public study room in a college library especially since it was a sudden unexpected action.
  #17   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:55 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Hey Achilles!

Hey Achilles!

Great topic! I have seen this topic before and always love the fact that I can relate to it and every single point made.....except for the one post that talks about people grabbing and feeling the muscles. I've never had that happen yet (except for when permission was given). Maybe because I just look menacing and people don't know how nice I actually am!

The one thing that popped out at me is the airline travel. Many many years ago there was once a time I was on a plane almost weekly for business and personal reasons. Of course back then I was also over 125 pounds lighter and much smaller. Any seat I got was never a problem, coach or First Class.

Now, as I am over 250 pounds of muscle, air travel is a horror, and even moreso just recently. I had to take a commuter jet to my location in PA as no large jets can fly in there, and I was in seat 1A. All the seats were bad, but this one was INSANE! I had to sit bent forward or sideways throughout the entire trip. The guy sitting nect to me was skinny and my shoulder still overlapped him! Other people getting on the plane just glanced over at me like I was some huge sausage stuffed in a casing.

It was very uncomfortable, but made me feel like a muscle beast!

Ron III---III
  #18   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
you can't forget these

try buying a suit. when a tailor tell you come back when your done adding size because if you buy a suit now another 10lbs and you wont fit into it.
right now i don't own one. God help me if there is a wedding or a funeral to go to . I have no idea what to wear.

Small stores where the asiles are close together. When i lived up north a friend of mine would say you stay out here i'll go look inside as you wont fit down the asiles and if there are people there it will be worse.

public transit is another curse. when you take up 2 seats not because your fat but because your wide people do look at you. its easier to stand.

small cars is the worse. try getting into or out of one. I'm sure we all have had that horror in the past.
  #19   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDunIt View Post
I tend to carry my wallet, box cutter (I work retail, so I carry one to open boxes), and keys in my front pockets and the bigger my quads have gotten, the worse problem I have with that. I go to walk through a door way, between counters, or even past a table and chair set and next thing I know, I'm bouncing the stuff in one of those pockets off something
THIS. I just recently had to buy new pants for the first time (YES!) to accommodate my larger waist and thighs (currently JUST my thighs as I've lost a couple pounds), but for a week or two before, I'd had to start carrying my wallet and cellphone in my backpack. I like to put them in my front pockets (harder to pickpocket, easier access), but with them in there, along with my legs stretching it width-wise, there wasn't enough room for my hand to get in the pocket and pull anything out!

I also have the problem of bumping into things with my shoulders, but not so much as-of-late since my growth has stalled Can't wait to have to deal with more inconveniences like that :P
  #20   Add to pdxten's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

pdxten is on a distinguished road
clothes have been a nightmare for years. My one custom suit was about 6 months old when whoops , no fit. Now its dress slacks withdouble ,triple pleats. Jeans are easier. sleeping is always an adventure. Staring out on my back with 2 big pillows under my hamstrings to address the arch in lower back mentioned earlier,and the a pillow under each arm as torso got bigger arms at sides not comfortable; at six ft. six in and 286# I would not trade this size,and its "little" inconveniences for anything.
  #21   Add to nkack's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM

nkack is on a distinguished road
I miss being able to lie on my back without my lower back trying to kill me. Not to mention people people have teased me a bunch for always having my knees up or digging a hole in the sand to accommodate my ass.

The jean thing hasn't bugged me too much yet, American Eagle's boot-cut jeans are pretty loose in the thighs, although I can't put anything big in my front pockets, or grab anything while sitting.
  #22   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotehmoon View Post
THIS. I just recently had to buy new pants for the first time (YES!) to accommodate my larger waist and thighs (currently JUST my thighs as I've lost a couple pounds), but for a week or two before, I'd had to start carrying my wallet and cellphone in my backpack. I like to put them in my front pockets (harder to pickpocket, easier access), but with them in there, along with my legs stretching it width-wise, there wasn't enough room for my hand to get in the pocket and pull anything out!

I also have the problem of bumping into things with my shoulders, but not so much as-of-late since my growth has stalled Can't wait to have to deal with more inconveniences like that :P
I've recently had to buy a couple pairs of 54 and a pair of 52 jeans, not just because my waist has gotten too big (working on that now, managed to drop about 10-12lbs in 4 weeks while still doing some lifting ) because I was having trouble getting my legs into them too! At one point late this summer I had to do the same with all but the knife!

Have any of you guys run into issues with pre-handicap law doorways? I was in a small Indiana town late September and Branson Mo. 3 weeks ago and went to use a couple bathrooms in older building and discovered I had no choice but to turn sideways to go through because my shoulders are now wider than the door openings......kind of an ego booster for some odd reason
  #23   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDunIt View Post
"went to use a couple bathrooms in older building and discovered I had no choice but to turn sideways to go through because my shoulders are now wider than the door openings......kind of an ego booster for some odd reason"
Shoulders.yes, that is always a problem when I don't pay attention. Thankfully the shoulder muscle caps are really thick.... enough to cushion the blow!

Ron III---III
  #24   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM

digger is on a distinguished road
No problem with the doors on bathrooms (or elsewhere). No, it's the damned space at the urinal. I have to use the stall instead of the urinal at some bathrooms and my shoulders are jammed into the space provided at the men's rooms at work. There are two urinals with a divider between them. Not made for me.

Just want to thank achilles for starting this thread and our fellow big men for contributing their stories. Please add more!
  #25   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
Heat isn't only an issue in summer. Most big bodybuilders I have known have had to sleep with no covers and a fan blowing on them year-round.

And there is swimming. Being heavy with low bodyfat means you have no bouyancy, so it's almost impossible to stay afloat.
  #26   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
DaBigGuy1

Correct on BOTH counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Heat isn't only an issue in summer. Most big bodybuilders I have known have had to sleep with no covers and a fan blowing on them year-round.

And there is swimming. Being heavy with low bodyfat means you have no bouyancy, so it's almost impossible to stay afloat.
You are so right!

I find myself sleeping with a fan on most of the time, and other times with the fan pointing indirectly at me.......and I tend to sleep au natural.

And after may years of not knowing how to swim I finally started to teach myself a couple of years ago. Come to find out that I cannot float at all! Friends would hold me up in the water and say "relax". Hell of a lot of good that did as I sank like a lead balloon EVERY SNGLE TIME! So, now I just swim underwater.

Ron III---III
  #27   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah I've sunk to sleeping on top of the covers, with no shirt. crack open the window cause it's nice and cool outside.
  #28   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
No problem with the doors on bathrooms (or elsewhere). No, it's the damned space at the urinal. I have to use the stall instead of the urinal at some bathrooms and my shoulders are jammed into the space provided at the men's rooms at work. There are two urinals with a divider between them. Not made for me.

Just want to thank achilles for starting this thread and our fellow big men for contributing their stories. Please add more!
Urinals aren't always a problem, but some of the "normal" sized bathroom stalls are so small that I can barely turn around in them. X2 on thanking Achilles, can't believe I'm big enough to join in now too

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1 View Post
You are so right!

I find myself sleeping with a fan on most of the time, and other times with the fan pointing indirectly at me.......and I tend to sleep au natural.

And after may years of not knowing how to swim I finally started to teach myself a couple of years ago. Come to find out that I cannot float at all! Friends would hold me up in the water and say "relax". Hell of a lot of good that did as I sank like a lead balloon EVERY SINGLE TIME! So, now I just swim underwater.

Ron III---III
Funny you guys are talking about buoyancy, I grew up watching "Dukes of Hazzard" and have a bunch of the DVD sets and in the extras on one of them Tom Wopat and Catherine Bach were talking about the show that "Bo" (John Schiender) wrestled the alligator in and how it was originaly written that Luke (Wopat's character) but Wopat just couldn't float no matter how much he tried. Bach even tried to teach him in her pool and every time she tried to get him to float, he just sank like a rock kjust like Ron! IIRC from the DVD, he still can't even float!
  #29   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Wow, this is really some interesting things that happen when ya'll get bigger than the "average Joes" out there. (Now if I only had my own story to tell.)

Anyways, here's a question: How has your new size affected something like...getting stuff in your home? Or have people started asking you to help them move (don't matter if you did or not).

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #30   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Broken Furniture!

I am becoming known as the guy who breaks furniture.

In last year or so, I've broken the following:

My friend's patio chair. I was just sitting there enjoying a beer when the flimsy plastic thing just kind of crumpled under me, depositing me on the ground.

My own patio chair. I thought I'd found some good sturdy stuff, with tubular steel construction. But one day I was out on my lawn catching some rays. I leaned back, eyes closed, enjoying the sun, and felt what I thought was the chair sinking into the somewhat soggy ground. It kept leaning further and further back until I jumped up to avoid falling over. The chair hadn't sunk into the ground, it had bent! The normally upright back was nearly horizontal, the "sturdy" steel tubing bent under my weight.

My office chair at work. Sort of the same deal as the lawn chair: I leaned back and the chair back permanently bent.

A folding chair. This time it wasn't the frame. The seat (an upholstered cushion on a particle board platform) buckled and pushed through the bottom of the frame.

My favorite easy chair / recliner. I picked this out because it was big enough for me, extremely comfortable, and looked to be built like a tank. (I've had this problem for a while: the bottom had dropped out of my previous sofa. So I'm very aware of this issue when buying furniture). But no. The foot rest of the recliner, with its heavy steel reclining mechanism, recently just collapsed under the weight of my legs.

About half the chairs I sit on in restaurants creak and groan and twist in unnerving ways, so that the following is a common exchange for me: Waiter: "Is something wrong, sir?" Me: "It feels like this chair is about to break." Waiter: "Let me get you another one." ... and the replacement is always as bad as the original, so I just eat my meal nervously, while my friends snicker.

It seems like furniture makers design for that "average" man who is 5'9" 160 pounds. Their margin for error goes up to maybe 200 pounds. But 260? Good luck.

Last edited by BigSteve6ft3; November 6th, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
  #31   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve6ft3 View Post
I am becoming known as the guy who breaks furniture.

In last year or so, I've broken the following:

My friend's patio chair. I was just sitting there enjoying a beer when the flimsy plastic thing just kind of crumpled under me, depositing me on the ground.

My own patio chair. I thought I'd found some good sturdy stuff, with tubular steel construction. But one day I was out on my lawn catching some rays. I leaned back, eyes closed, enjoying the sun, and felt what I thought was the chair sinking into the somewhat soggy ground. It kept leaning further and further back until I jumped up to avoid falling over. The chair hadn't sunk into the ground, it had bent! The normally upright back was nearly horizontal, the "sturdy" steel tubing bent under my weight.

My office chair at work. Sort of the same deal as the lawn chair: I leaned back and the chair back permanently bent.

A folding chair. This time it wasn't the frame. The seat (an upholstered cushion on a particle board platform) buckled and pushed through the bottom of the frame.

May favorite easy chair / recliner. I picked this out because it was big enough for me, extremely comfortable, and looked to be built like a tank. (I've had this problem for a while: the bottom had dropped out of my previous sofa. So I'm very aware of this issue when buying furniture). But no. The foot rest of the recliner, with its heavy steel reclining mechanism, recently just collapsed under the weight of my legs.

About half the chairs I sit on in restaurants creak and groan and twist in unnerving ways, so that the following is a common exchange for me: Waiter: "Is something wrong, sir?" Me: "It feels like this chair is about to break." Waiter: "Let me get you another one." ... and the replacement is always as bad as the original, so I just eat my meal nervously, while my friends snicker.

It seems like furniture makers design for that "average" man who is 5'9" 160 pounds. Their margin for error goes up to maybe 200 pounds. But 260? Good luck.
Great post BigSteve6ft3, and funny!!

So far I have only taken out three chairs, two at home and one at the doctor's office but fortunately at the doctor's office my thighs just broke off an armrest, but no one noticed and I just got up and moved to another chair.

I did however break the lumbar supports in the seat of my car, and the adjustable air bladder just went POOF one day and has never inflated since.

Yes, 6 feet tall and 265 pounds can be a bit of a challenge on the furniture in and out off the home! (recomendation: if you are at a restaurant that has a booth, try the booth IF you can squeeze into them! )

Ron III---III
  #32   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
See being too big can be a problem... so don't slam me all the time for not wanting to be huge... Quality is more important than Quantity!

Ender
  #33   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Eh, it's just a matter of adapting to your now smaller surroundings Ender, although as big of an ego boost as it is, it can also be a slight mix of annoyance and embarrassment if it happens infront of people.

BTW guys, try being both fat and muscular. I tried doing some HIIT the other night on an eliptical and I think I had that machine freaking out on one of the high speed bursts!
  #34   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
See being too big can be a problem... so don't slam me all the time for not wanting to be huge... Quality is more important than Quantity!

Ender
I would never slam you or anyone else for not wanting to be huge, besides getting to be hugeis VERY hard work and not for everyone.

However I will correct you on this: Quality AND Quantity are more important and much better together!

D
  #35   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter73 View Post
I would never slam you or anyone else for not wanting to be huge, besides getting to be hugeis VERY hard work and not for everyone.

However I will correct you on this: Quality AND Quantity are more important and much better together!

D
Originally Posted by Ender
Not every one wants to be "The Incredible Hulk" or some other sort of behemoth freak... Being a freak would be a real bummer... who would want to live in a world where you don't fit...

With the exception of very light-weight guys, Pro Bodybuilders in general are too big for my tastes...

For my own body I'd go for quality rather than quantity and stay with in human proportions every time...

Ender

It always amazes me how this is a MUSCLE GROWTH site, and yet you still get those few guys that come and talk about how they do not like HUGE or FREAKY SIZE. Why come on this site? HUH? -Lifter73

Yeah, I'll just leave this here.

That said, I'd LOVE to take on more of the problems that come with being big. Hopefully I'll be outright outgrowing a few more shirts in the months ahead; getting out of the tight ones I wear to work out is starting to be a chore. :P
  #36   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM

If finding a god sleeping position was hard enough, I'd been finding getting out of bed just as hard to do. Since i been tending to sleep on my back, I try to roll over only to rock back on my back defeated. The only other way I've tried is to kinda pivot on my hips to kick my legs out. However, since my computer desk is close to my bed, I'd kicked the chair a few times and the desk itself took one hit (have to remember to tuck my legs when i swing out)
  #37   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah, leave it there, sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender
Not every one wants to be "The Incredible Hulk" or some other sort of behemoth freak... Being a freak would be a real bummer... who would want to live in a world where you don't fit...

With the exception of very light-weight guys, Pro Bodybuilders in general are too big for my tastes...

For my own body I'd go for quality rather than quantity and stay with in human proportions every time...

Ender

It always amazes me how this is a MUSCLE GROWTH site, and yet you still get those few guys that come and talk about how they do not like HUGE or FREAKY SIZE. Why come on this site? HUH? -Lifter73

Yeah, I'll just leave this here.

That said, I'd LOVE to take on more of the problems that come with being big. Hopefully I'll be outright outgrowing a few more shirts in the months ahead; getting out of the tight ones I wear to work out is starting to be a chore. :P
And it STILL puzzles me WHY some guys talk about not liking big muscle yet STILL come on a BIG Muscle site? It is like going to a Japanese restaurant and not ordering the food because you do not like Japanese food. Where's the logic in that?

Now I understand if they do not want to BE big themselves, but why criticize those that want to be or are?

". Being a freak would be a real bummer... who would want to live in a world where you don't fit..."

That's one person's opinionas I fit in very nicely :P

There, I hope I cleared that one up for those that didn't understand, and I stand by my statement.

D
  #38   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Ender
Believe it or not, Ender, this thread isn't about you. No one has judged anyone for "not wanting to be huge" in this thread. This thread is about "Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences" and a bunch of big guys poking fun AT THEMSELVES and giving some insight (and a little entertainment) to each other and some not-so-big guys as to what it's like to actually be big...not-so-big guys who are actually INTERESTED in the QUANTITY. Not one person (that I've seen) in this thread has said they would trade their size to not have these "problems". Your "Quality is more important than Quantity!" is the first really judgemental statement made...and it is purely YOUR opinion. Guess what...you can have BOTH quantity AND quality if you're willing to put in the work. If you're not interested in the quantity, WHY ARE YOU HERE???

I applaud you wanting to be toned and fit and not huge. You're entitled to be anyway you want to be as long as you're willing to put in the work. LIKEWISE...we who want to be huge or who are already huge are just as entitled. Please...don't make it personal...it really changes the tone of the thread.

Last edited by Lucas88; November 7th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
  #39   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Super-cereal mode:

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and start by saying that I think Ender's comment in this thread was unwarranted and completely off-topic. It's OBVIOUS that we're hear talking about the little difficulties size grants those who are lucky to get it *shakes fist at those of you who're lucky to get it*, but in an, to put it one way, celebratory manner, because they represent the things that a lot of us are seeking. That comment was a thread derailer, and out of line.

THAT SAID, I can see where Ender is coming from. On most other threads where his opinion IS solicited, SOMEONE swoops in and criticizes him for seemingly no reason. Lifter73, I'm looking at you, cuz that's usually your schtick. I don't know why you do that, but it's almost without fail. Just because people on here usually side with you, doesn't make you right. And for someone who's supposed to be the literal bigger man, you certainly don't miss any chances you might get to act like the 10th grade bully who punches someone and then chums it up with his buds over how wussy the other kid was. Has it ever crossed your mind to, I dunno, ignore people you don't agree with?

I feel like Ender gets a bad rap around here, and that's not cool, because he has some good things to say. He shouldn't have chimed in with that little tidbit this time, but it's not like people don't do it to him regularly.

EDIT: And so as not to make a new reply, I'll go ahead and say my bit here: I step in when I feel myself or a friend is being wronged. NOT just because some thought popped up into my head and I just HAD to get it out, regardless of how it makes others feel. Really, the latter is kinda tactless and childish. Respecting how other people feel on a topic and keeping your mouth shut when you know saying something will do more harm than good is the adult thing to do.

Now, can we get back on topic, kthx?

Last edited by wolfotehmoon; November 7th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
  #40   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Super-cereal mode:

Lifter73, I'm looking at you, cuz that's usually your schtick. I don't know why you do that, but it's almost without fail. Just because people on here usually side with you, doesn't make you right. And for someone who's supposed to be the literal bigger man, you certainly don't miss any chances you might get to act like the 10th grade bully who punches someone and then chums it up with his buds over how wussy the other kid was. Has it ever crossed your mind to, I dunno, ignore people you don't agree with?
Here's a topic for you...what brand of insanity are you dealing with? And let me tell you something, it has been YOUR tack to attack a few of my posting, and I am almost sure jealousy is at play here. I myself am not one to criticize anyone, but I will tell it like it is and call you on your statement, like NOW for instance. And also, I am NOT one for the "High School Bully chumming it up with his equally BIG and BAD friends.... I don't need an audience or backup. If I have something to say I'll say it...I don't need an audience or approval, I'll just get with you and hash it out. And NO I do not mean physically beat someone up! I would like to feel that being an ADULT means you do not have to resort to physical violence (or at least not be the one to throw the first punch! LOL!!)

And Wolf Pal, I can ask YOU the same question......if you do not agree with what I have to say, why don't you ignore it as well? I choose not to....there are too many people today that just turn their heads and walk away and not do anything. And I think it is a damn shame, and I choose not to be one of those.

And I firmly believe that when you let your mouth write a malicious slanderous check to me, I WILL CASH IT here at The BIG Bank of Drew!

Nuff said.....

EDIT: And I would do the same, stick up for a friend. But c'mon let be serious here..this is not a school playground, this is a forum! And if you have a disagreement you simply say so, and if some people are reactionary and vent it out promptly, so what?? You deal with it, THAT is what grown-ups do! To bitch about THAT is childish...you simply move on...people today, not ALL, but some people today are simply too thin-skinned. And with that this is a CLOSED topic for me... I got bigger and better things to do..like build bigger muscles and smile all the way to the gym! :P

P.S. OMG, Forget I even started this, I am way too much older to be in this type of conversation... LOL!

And with THAT said, NOW we can get back to our regularly scheduled TOPIC!

Drew

Last edited by Lifter73; November 7th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options