The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Main Off-Topic Board
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
What are you reading (besides MG stories?)

Everybody here loves a good muscle story but I want to know what you guys read besides MG tales.

My favorite author is Neil Gaiman. To be honest, I came to him because I heard his most famous novel, American Gods, featured a bodybuilder as the hero, but that was just a piece of the gorgeous treasure of that book. He always tells an interesting story. They might not end in the best way but they're always engaging reads full of weird visions and a real insight into the world uncommon in typical SF.

I also love comics. The best book I'm reading right now is "Chew" the story of a detective who gets psychic information from everything he eats (except beets.) And when he investigates a murder... let your imagination do the rest. Despite the potential for gore, Chew is more about fun. The art is cheerful and the hero isn't the hard-boiled type you'd expect for a book like this.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Atlas's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Depressed maniac

Atlas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Atlas Send a message via Yahoo to Atlas
It's nice to see another fan of Gaiman's work, I really like his works, he's so imaginative
Other than that I love Haruki Murakami, he's written quite a lot of books, and I love every single one of them. His style is quite peculiar, as every time you read some of his works you just can't tell if he's telling a real story, or is talking about a dream, and that feeling often (at least in my case) gets inside of me... it feels a bit weird XD
Other than that I'm not reading much at the moment, I can't seem to find any decent book/novel to read, but I'm eagerly waiting for Clive Barker's new work (the third book of Abarat... Absolute Midnight).

Last edited by Atlas; May 3rd, 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled a couple of words...
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Recent reads:

The Irregulars : Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington. By Jennet Conant.

The Revolution Business. By Charles Stross. (# 5 in the Merchant Princes series)

A Mighty Fortress. By David Weber (# 4 in the Safehold series.)

Plus I'm currently reading Haze by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

As you might have guessed, my predilections are heavily weighted towards science fiction and biography.

xoxo

R
  #4   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
At the moment, all of my reading is rather not by choice, but out of necessity... I'm reading book after book on Afghan culture, language, politics, etc... I have to be ready for deployment.

When I have free time to enjoy my reads, I am a sci-fi fan. My favorites include the Ender series by Orson Scott Card and The Dune series by Frank Herbert.
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

"Separation of Power" by Vince Flynn. The hero, Mitch Rapp, is a covert op who participates in IronMan competitions (run/bike/swim), runs a "cover" business of IT consulting, and flies around the world saving the good guys from the bad guys.
Great read! Part of a terrific series.

Also, anything by Lee Childs starring Jack Reacher. Probably the best one, in terms of a terrific beginning is "The Enemy".
"George Smith [not the character's name. This is just a filler] was in a place he shouldn't have been, doing something he shouldn't have done, with someone he should not have been with. He had done it before, and he had always gotten away with it, but that was before his heart burst in his chest. As his last conscious thought floated through his brain before the oxygen cut off, he thought, "Oh sh....."

Did I also mention that both of these heroes are built of slabs of muscle and can take out a squadron of men single-handed?!!

Great reads to take my mind off real life!

Mdlftr
  #6   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
I just finished the Scott Pilgrim series (my BF surprised me with it after we went to see the movie), and since I found out that my phone can act as a mini-e-book (complete with *free* public domain novels), I've been plodding slooooooowly through The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm liking it so far :3
  #7   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotehmoon View Post
I've been plodding slooooooowly through The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm liking it so far :3
If you like that, then I can strongly recommend any of Dumas' books concerning the Three Musketeers (especially for this little passage from "Twenty Years Later")

Porthos:
Quote:
?(My health is)...Excellent, my dear friend; better than ever. I could kill an ox with a blow of my fist"
And keeping the theme of French authors with feats of strength, might I also recommend anything by Jules Verne
  #8   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
I tend to keep with novels from Dragonlance and Warcraft. Richard A. Knaak has a ton of books from both series. I'm currently reading the Minotaur Wars, (I've traded off my stripes for horns, but that's story in itself).

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #9   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
If you like that, then I can strongly recommend any of Dumas' books concerning the Three Musketeers (especially for this little passage from "Twenty Years Later")

Porthos:

And keeping the theme of French authors with feats of strength, might I also recommend anything by Jules Verne

It's gonna be a while, I thought I was making good headway when I hit ch6. Then I looked at the table of contents. xD I read an abridged version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when I was reaaaaally little, maybe I'll tackle that or another Dumas next.
  #10   Add to Henry Richard's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:04 AM

Henry Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachirobi View Post
Everybody here loves a good muscle story but I want to know what you guys read besides MG tales.

My favorite author is Neil Gaiman. To be honest, I came to him because I heard his most famous novel, American Gods, featured a bodybuilder as the hero, but that was just a piece of the gorgeous treasure of that book. He always tells an interesting story. They might not end in the best way but they're always engaging reads full of weird visions and a real insight into the world uncommon in typical SF.

I also love comics. The best book I'm reading right now is "Chew" the story of a detective who gets psychic information from everything he eats (except beets.) And when he investigates a murder... let your imagination do the rest. Despite the potential for gore, Chew is more about fun. The art is cheerful and the hero isn't the hard-boiled type you'd expect for a book like this.

Thanks for sharing your views with everyone.............
  #11   Add to Billiard's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:01 AM

Billiard is on a distinguished road

Now a days i am reading Richard's books..

Billiard
Wastewater Treatment[COLOR=black], [/COLOR]Effluent Treatment[COLOR=black], [/COLOR]Outdoor Advertising
  #12   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:22 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Truman by David McCullough. It's been out for nearly 20 years and I've been wanting to read it the whole time! Procrastination and I are best buds! :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #13   Add to GayDalek's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM

GayDalek is on a distinguished road
Doctor Who

Well, aside from my ongoing project to read every Doctor Who book ever written, I just bought H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction. Twenty bucks got me a hardcover, over one-thousand page long collection of 70 stories with a ribbon bookmark & golden-edged pages.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options