The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to musclewolf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM

musclewolf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to musclewolf
eat big, grow big....how big is big?

Ok, like what the title said "how big is big?" Do I need to eat like a horse, just eat the same amount each hour? I really have no idea...everything I eat has at least 9 grams of protein and I'm noticing something but not a lot (I'm NOT expecting an over night transformation I just want to make sure I'm going down the right path)
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclewolf View Post
Ok, like what the title said "how big is big?" Do I need to eat like a horse, just eat the same amount each hour? I really have no idea...everything I eat has at least 9 grams of protein and I'm noticing something but not a lot (I'm NOT expecting an over night transformation I just want to make sure I'm going down the right path)
Diet is the most scientific part of bodybuilding--a few simple rules that can be generalized --Eat often---6 smaller meals a day are better than 3 larger ones. Have a large breakfast and get the majority of your carbs at breakfast--breakfast can be a higher fat higher carb meal. Get the majority of your carbs throughout the day from green vegetables, avoid most fruit juices, pop, and other sugary food. If you want to gain weight ---drink milk---whole milk is a great weight gainer food and you will have more lean gains from milk. Get to know your body, it takes time but figure out which foods are more digestable for you, which foods give you more energy, and how many calories you need to start gaining without getting fat. Gradually increase your caloric intake as you increase your lifts in the gym. Stick to real food--supplements later real food first. Don't count calories it will drive you crazy--be more intuitive about it eat more eat healthier and trainer harder and smarter.
  #3   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
So many variables...

So much about eating for muscle has to do with so many unique factors:

1) The quality of the food you are eating
2) the quantity of the food you are eating
3) the speed of your metabolism, which is due to your own genetics, your past history, your present environment, the amount and kinds of exercise you are getting, and the above two factors as well,
4) etc.

I don't think there is any real one answer. The only way to know how to eat big enough for you is this:

If you are using a proper bodybuilding mass-building routine and giving it your all, and

a) you are gaining weight, but not much fat, then...
I'd be very careful about adding much more food to your diet, but might consider raising the quantity a little IF you think you are gaining mass to slowly. See (b).

b) you are not gaining weight, then...
I'd definitely add more food. I'd also consider adding a protein shake in the middle of your sleep cycle. My best gains have come when I've put that into the mix. I'd consider adding between 250 and 500 calories a day, and see how that does for you over the course of 1 - 2 weeks. Still not gaining weight after the increase? Increase it again, until you get to (a), or (c).

c) you are definitely gaining weight, AND more than just some fat...
Cut back down, 250 - 500 calories. But don't forget that when you are in a bulk up phase, some fat is pretty much inevitable IF you want to put on the mass fairly quickly.

I'm sure there are more experienced bodybuilders on this board that may have other suggestions, too.

Good luck!
  #4   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:53 AM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
I seem to have this issue, too. For guys like me who don't eat that much, visual references are REALLY helpful because we didn't learn how to eat like the big boys. How big is big? I can assure you that a 135 pound twig's "big" is not the same as a lineman's "big". Guess which one you need to be eating like?

...So do we have any linemen willing to snap a pic of their dinner? :P
  #5   Add to musclewolf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM

musclewolf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to musclewolf
I sometimes wish there was a way just to get a shot or something and it would tell me what to eat...and when...Oh well, does protien shakes help? I know my friend lives off of them but he's been lifting for 10+ years so I know he knows his body by now. I also stopped eating fried food and start eating the whites of eggs...and not so much of the yellow.

Will a protien shake with milk help me out?

(wolfotehmoon, my current weight is 210 lbs but I bet you at least 30 lbs of it is fat...so hang in there)

P.S. Thanks for those who are responding, I hope I can use this knowledge to help out another "newbie".
  #6   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclewolf View Post
I sometimes wish there was a way just to get a shot or something and it would tell me what to eat...and when...Oh well, does protien shakes help? I know my friend lives off of them but he's been lifting for 10+ years so I know he knows his body by now. I also stopped eating fried food and start eating the whites of eggs...and not so much of the yellow.

Will a protien shake with milk help me out?

(wolfotehmoon, my current weight is 210 lbs but I bet you at least 30 lbs of it is fat...so hang in there)

P.S. Thanks for those who are responding, I hope I can use this knowledge to help out another "newbie".

If you are trying to gain solid weight, then by all means eat the entire egg, also a protein shake with whole milk is a good way to get extra calories. For lean gains you can have a bit more fat in your diet especially if you keep your carbs fairly low. Eat more often, eat more, and eat healthier all three are the keys to gaining solid weight. And Your workouts should compliment your diet. As you increase the calories in your diet, the intensity of your workouts should increase as well.
  #7   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
Seems this issue has been beat to death but to make it simple let me explain a few things. if your trying to gain lean muscle for us bodybuilders we usually average 1.5 g of protein per 1 lb of body weight. for a beginner 1 g of protein to 1 lb of body weight is good. i would suggest that you set your numbers based on you being 10 lbs heavier than where you are. so if you weigh 150 lqabs then set your protein intake numbers as if you weigh 160. your carbs if your trying to build lean should be from the following sources, yams, brown rice, oats, red skin potatos, veggies such as broccoli , asapragus and salads, your good fats should come from flax oil or almonds. do 5-7 small meals a day. meal one would look something like this

6 egg whites 2 whole egg, 1/2-3/4 cup cooked oats, 2 pieces whole wheat toast with natural jelly

meal 2

6-8 oz lean beef, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1 cup brown rice.

meal 3'

6-8 oz chicken 1 medium yam'

etc

this gives you a idea. if you need to do a protein shake it should be post work out with low carbs. you next meal should be 35-45 minutes after the shake. You grow better and keep your size and power when you eat whole foods. supplements are to back up your meal plan not to replace.
You can add a digestive enzyme 2 pills with each meal to help with the
asboration of the nutrients. Hope this helps
  #8   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM

We all know the numbers, but what do those amounts LOOK like? It's like trying to describe the vastness of the ocean; you just won't understand until you see it yourself.
  #9   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM

A good diet is going to be different for everyone, the most important thing is to get to understand your body's needs. Yes a lineman will eat more than a smaller guy, but if that smaller guy tried to eat what the lineman eats he would not necessarily get big like the lineman he just may end up being a skinny guy with a gut. Proper training, diet and rest are all important and nobody can really copy someone elses routine--it just doesn't work that way. Gradually increase the amount you eat until you start gaining weight, up the intensity of your workouts as well and hopefully your diet will help you gain lean muscle without too much fat. A small guy eating like a lineman will most likely end up becoming a small fat guy.
  #10   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated View Post
A good diet is going to be different for everyone, the most important thing is to get to understand your body's needs. Yes a lineman will eat more than a smaller guy, but if that smaller guy tried to eat what the lineman eats he would not necessarily get big like the lineman he just may end up being a skinny guy with a gut. Proper training, diet and rest are all important and nobody can really copy someone elses routine--it just doesn't work that way. Gradually increase the amount you eat until you start gaining weight, up the intensity of your workouts as well and hopefully your diet will help you gain lean muscle without too much fat. A small guy eating like a lineman will most likely end up becoming a small fat guy.
I'm not so sure. I mean, if NOTHING that worked for one person worked for another, then we'd have a hell of a time trying to figure out what to do. I still think a visual food diary from a big lifter would be worth its weight in gold. "Okay, I have to start eating more. This is what I generally take in, this is what the 350-pound linebacker takes in, so somewhere in this spectrum is what I'll need to be taking in." I know that with nutritionists, when working with new patients, one of the first things that happens is the patient gets to have a good look at the portion sizes they should be having. You ALWAYS need a reference point, and humans are visual creatures.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options