The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to jockdog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM

jockdog is on a distinguished road
Getting Started

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get started with building muscle. I'm 30 but have never really worked out. I'm currently around 200 pounds, though my weight has fluctuated depending on diet and aerobic exercise. I find the more stressful work's going, the worse I do (stress eater then come home tired).

I know that building muscle will help me with my metabolism and all that, but I've had trouble getting started with strength. I can't afford a trainer or gym, but have a weight bench, pull-up bar, and some other basics at home, plus could do push-ups, crunches, etc. As of now, I can't do many push-ups in a row, I'm definitely a wimp.

What ways did you get started? What has helped motivate you and get you past any barriers? I'm not looking to be a bodybuilder, but I'd like to build strength & have nice muscle tone. Some of my favorite types are the guys I see on bigmusclebears.

I've also looked into hypnosis including some of the files mentioned elsewhere, though I don't go into trance easy and little fits what I'm looking for... as in don't want to shave, be a slave, become dumb, become sex obsessed, go beyond natural muscle looks, etc. I just want to look hot and know I could defend myself if ever needed

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to jockdog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM

jockdog is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify more... I definitely understand it takes time, and that I won't see overnight results. Basically I'm looking for advice on getting started. I was never in sports and though my weight has fluctuated from skinny to stocky, I've always at most had (a little) tone, but not strength. For doing it at home, are there good sites or resources for not letting myself wimp out, and push through that initial pain? Any great hypno files for building muscle? Etc. Sorry if this is all posted elsewhere, lots to go through.
  #3   Add to TheMasu's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM

TheMasu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMasu Send a message via Yahoo to TheMasu Send a message via Skype™ to TheMasu
I started with a weight bench and free weights. That's really all you need to get you out of the gate. There's plenty of great YouTube videos with how-to exercises -- I like Scooby1961 on Yahoo. He seems like a really nice guy and kinda goofy, so it's easier to get into it.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
I agree with MASU on this (he definitely practices what he preaches, btw!) The equipment just needs to be basic. What you really benefit from is the guidance.

On the 'net, I agree with Masu's choice of Scooby1961. He really gets down to the basics, and he knows what he is talking about. He has one vid about "working around injuries" that I have watched and benefited from several times! Injuries or aches and pains are a fact of life, so don't think all is "over" when you have the occasional ache or pain.

Bottom line: "working out" is just letting your muscles do what nature designed them to do: exert effort, move you through space, and be functional. Too often, "working out" is elevated to some complex, highfalutin' mystical, complicated regimin which is only understood by some "elect".

~~Not! The equipment is basic (which you have) and the exercises themselves are straightforward.

For starters focus on exercises that work multiple muscle groups at one time: squats (these can be bodyweight squats, where you just do deep knee bends, with your torso held up, eyes looking straight ahead, keeping good form, work up to 20 reps per set.
Bench press: watch scooby 1961 for this. He has some excellent vids on working chest. His chest is pretty good.

Dead lifts. These are a good exercise, but tricky to do correctly. If I were you, I'd hold off on doing these until you can get a live person to demonstratet them to you. The possibility of lower back injury if these are done incorrectly is high. Done correctly, they are a great exercise.

I'm sure other people will weigh in. Good luck!

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to samjoy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM

samjoy is on a distinguished road
You don't need anything special to begin with. The guys have already recommended what to look for. I can add that if you have a friend that is willing to help you - it would mean a lot!

As far as eating goes - also just start with some basic changes in foods you eat (try to avoid some as much as possible, and some others) depending on your goals.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options