The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM

paarke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to paarke
Really stupid question

I know this is going to make me seem an idiot, but when I do cardio there are displays on the machines, you know the ones that tell you you've burned 2 calories when you've been slogging away for an hour. Anyway, it keeps saying METS followed by a figure, like 7.2 or something, and I don't know what it means. I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone in the gym, can someone explain? Probably won't make a bit of difference to me, but I'm curious! Thanks
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to gogr2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Location: Home: California Coast; Currently Stationed: Ft Hood, TX
gogr2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gogr2 Send a message via Yahoo to gogr2 Send a message via Skype™ to gogr2
I think it stands for Metabolic Equivalent... ratio of resting metabolism to working. If I recalled correctly, here is more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent
  #3   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:09 AM

Thanks for that!
  #4   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:38 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by paarke View Post
I know this is going to make me seem an idiot, but when I do cardio there are displays on the machines, you know the ones that tell you you've burned 2 calories when you've been slogging away for an hour. Anyway, it keeps saying METS followed by a figure, like 7.2 or something, and I don't know what it means. I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone in the gym, can someone explain? Probably won't make a bit of difference to me, but I'm curious! Thanks
There are no such things as "stupid questions" only stupid answers. METS are also used on Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus so you might want to search YouTube for Wii Fit videos and see if there is one that explains the concept.
  #5   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks, think I understand now!
  #6   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
MelbGuy

Your question isn't stupid at all. What's stupid is you (& others) going to the gym to do cardio. <<You're paying money to walk>>. Doesn't get much more stupid than that.

Not trying to be mean. Just trying to open your eyes and to help you.

Since when did gyms turn into a place where overweight people go to walk on a treadmill? Gyms should be for juiced-up weight-lifting bodybuilders/powerlifters ONLY.

You won't build a better looking body in the gym than you would if you worked out at home with just a couple dumbbells (w/o drugs).. so what's the point.. other than to perve?
  #7   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:03 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Hey Melb, you do have a talent at being mean without even trying. Knock it off with the personal insults.

Yeah, going outside is better than working out indoors, running in a park is better than on a treadmill, but there are reasons to use the gym besides lifting heavy things. In some parts of the world, for example, it's now "winter" and that means that there are things called "ice" and "snow" that can make running outside difficult or dangerous for some people.

For me, I use the treadmill to warm up because its convenient and because I can catch up on the hockey scores with the little TV before I move to the free weights. I'm sure others use their gym for other reasons, so you might want to not assume that they are stupid before finding out why.
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Also, what the hell is wrong with perving??
  #9   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:30 AM
MelbGuy

(As expected) No.. my "talent" is being truthful. As you know, the truth hurts.. and people never want to hear it.

So are you trying to tell me you have ice and snow INSIDE your house? Really? You can't do pushups, situps, dumbbell curls, overhead presses, squats... in your house?
Who cares about walking/running? What are you, training for a marathon? Or are you a pro bodybuilder who's at 6% bf and wants to hit 4% bf?
There is no need to do cardio if you're just an average guy trying to lose weight. HUGE misconception. Running makes you FITTER. It doesn't mean you will lose weight. If you're eating 3500cals a day and only burning 3000 total.. you WON'T lose weight. Common sense.
I've been ripped my whole life.. not from "genetics" or doing cardio.. but from EATING RIGHT. By "right" I mean the right AMOUNT required. Sure I workout.. but that's just too maximize/build whatever muscle I can naturally. I'd still be lean if I sat on the couch all day.

Another misconception is "warming up". Unless you're an elite drug-using bodybuilder/powerlifter/athlete... then you DON'T NEED TO. I go for max weight while cold "every" time (though sometimes I start light to work up a pump). NEVER had a problem.
Your body is like a standard road car which you can start up and drive while cold with no probs. Those elite juicers with huge muscles on the other hand need to warm up, like an F1 car does to avoid injury. (F1 engine won't turn over cold - juicer increases his chance of tearing something while cold)

There's nothing wrong with perving if you're a juiced-up bodybuilder perving between sets on another juiced-up bodybuilder while lifting weights in the gym. But fat out of shape people who just go the gym to perve while ACTING like they're working out.. well that's just WRONG.
Just as wrong as you going to the gym to watch "hockey scores". WTH? Focus on YOUR body and nothing else. Lift some fucking weights, feel the pump, work up a sweat, flex in the mirror, get into it... you might start looking decent after a while.

Again.. there is no need for ANYone to go to the gym unless they are a steroid/hgh abusing bber/powerlifter/athlete who constantly improve and need additional weights/resistance...

HTH
  #10   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Why walk indoors?

Weather!

Upstate NY is NOT conducive to walking out of doors for about half the year. I rather suspect that's the case in Birmingham, too.

Having been to Melbourne, I can see how you might have overlooked that factor.
  #11   Add to musclekid7's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM

musclekid7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbGuy View Post
Gyms should be for juiced-up weight-lifting bodybuilders/powerlifters ONLY.

You won't build a better looking body in the gym than you would if you worked out at home with just a couple dumbbells (w/o drugs)..
I'm real confused, cause you uniquely combine self-righteousness with some real dumb, real misleading shit.

1) Dude didn't say he was only using the treadmill.
2) Even if your assumption was right and he *only* used the treadmill, ifyou live where it gets really cold in the winter, a treadmill indoors is better than walking outside--or doing nothing.
3) Literally almost everybody can build a better body if they lift heavy and eat big. Steroids or power-lifting goals aren't required.
4) You can't lift heavy without a gym unless you can fit a bunch of shit in your house or apartment. My little 1x1x1 cube in NYC can't fit any equipment, and even though I'm not a juiced up bodybuilder/powerlifter I'm gonna keep using my gym.

U mad bro?
  #12   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:10 AM
MelbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclekid7 View Post
I'm real confused, cause you uniquely combine self-righteousness with some real dumb, real misleading shit.

1) Dude didn't say he was only using the treadmill.
2) Even if your assumption was right and he *only* used the treadmill, ifyou live where it gets really cold in the winter, a treadmill indoors is better than walking outside--or doing nothing.
3) Literally almost everybody can build a better body if they lift heavy and eat big. Steroids or power-lifting goals aren't required.
4) You can't lift heavy without a gym unless you can fit a bunch of shit in your house or apartment. My little 1x1x1 cube in NYC can't fit any equipment, and even though I'm not a juiced up bodybuilder/powerlifter I'm gonna keep using my gym.

U mad bro?

Okay child.. I mean, "kid". No shit you're confused.
1) I didn't just write to "that dude" about treadmills. It was for the thread starter and EVERYone else in general who walk on those hampster wheels. I KNOW he wrote he also lifts weights, but he STILL spends (wastes) his time on treadmills. For an average person trying to lose weight, to even spend just 1 second on one is fucking stupid.
2) It's only better than nothing if your goal is to get FIT(TER).
3) There is only so much you can do without drugs/hormones no matter how much you train or how much you eat. And it's NOT MUCH. If you weren't a fucking 16yo noob which you are, then you'd know that.
4) You don't need to lift heavy and have access to fancy machines to build a great looking lean natural bod (I've done it myself). 2 adjustable dumbbells are enough. How many bodyweight handstand pushups can you do? 2? How many dips can you do? 5? I doubt even that.

Go take your dumb ass back to bodybuilding.com and worship the Layne Norton types with the rest of the delusional teens like a good little clueless kid.

OWNED "bro"!
  #13   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
MelbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
Why walk indoors?

Weather!

Upstate NY is NOT conducive to walking out of doors for about half the year. I rather suspect that's the case in Birmingham, too.

Having been to Melbourne, I can see how you might have overlooked that factor.

WHY WALK/RUN AT ALL(????) is my point.
  #14   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:22 AM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WHY WALK/RUN AT ALL(????) is my point.
its helps muscle growth

pushed blood round the body to help repair it quicker

burns fat to look good

helps exercise your heart

helps push for more reps when weight training due to cardio being better

hmmmm cant think of any more at moment
  #15   Add to musclekid7's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM

musclekid7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Okay child.. I mean, "kid". No shit you're confused.
1) I didn't just write to "that dude" about treadmills. It was for the thread starter and EVERYone else in general who walk on those hampster wheels. I KNOW he wrote he also lifts weights, but he STILL spends (wastes) his time on treadmills. For an average person trying to lose weight, to even spend just 1 second on one is fucking stupid.
2) It's only better than nothing if your goal is to get FIT(TER).
3) There is only so much you can do without drugs/hormones no matter how much you train or how much you eat. And it's NOT MUCH. If you weren't a fucking 16yo noob which you are, then you'd know that.
4) You don't need to lift heavy and have access to fancy machines to build a great looking lean natural bod (I've done it myself). 2 adjustable dumbbells are enough. How many bodyweight handstand pushups can you do? 2? How many dips can you do? 5? I doubt even that.

Go take your dumb ass back to bodybuilding.com and worship the Layne Norton types with the rest of the delusional teens like a good little clueless kid.

OWNED "bro"!
Aw, a guy with a sharp wit. Somebody better take that away before he cuts himself.

1) Walking/running burns calories. You either lower your caloric intake or burn calories to lose weight, or both.
2) Huh? 'If your goal is to get FIT(TER)'? I dunno, that seems like a decent goal.
3) Everybody has a natural limit, hence why natural bodybuilders are smaller, sure. But there are some BIG ASS natural guys.
4) "great looking lean natural bod" is one thing. I myself want to be buff. It's not even super complicated, much less drug-requiring, to get there. But adjustable dumbbells can't go high enough to squat heavy, bench heavy, deadlift heavy, or get 'buff' as such.

Also, everything Nathan said. I checked out your other posts, and while at first I thought you were a troll, now I think you're just a really angry guy. This can't help but sound patronizing, I'm sorry for that, but you'll get a lot less hostility if you stop putting it out yourself.
  #16   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
MelbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclekid7 View Post
Aw, a guy with a sharp wit. Somebody better take that away before he cuts himself.

1) Walking/running burns calories. You either lower your caloric intake or burn calories to lose weight, or both.
2) Huh? 'If your goal is to get FIT(TER)'? I dunno, that seems like a decent goal.
3) Everybody has a natural limit, hence why natural bodybuilders are smaller, sure. But there are some BIG ASS natural guys.
4) "great looking lean natural bod" is one thing. I myself want to be buff. It's not even super complicated, much less drug-requiring, to get there. But adjustable dumbbells can't go high enough to squat heavy, bench heavy, deadlift heavy, or get 'buff' as such.

Also, everything Nathan said. I checked out your other posts, and while at first I thought you were a troll, now I think you're just a really angry guy. This can't help but sound patronizing, I'm sorry for that, but you'll get a lot less hostility if you stop putting it out yourself.

1) Why would you walk/run and eat a lot when you can just eat normally and sit on your ass & relax instead?
2) Who cares about being fitter? Looking good is what matters. This website's about MUSCLE. If you want to be fitter, then take your dumb ass to some marathon running site.
3) There ARE NO BIG + RIPPED NATURALS. ALL those big + ripped "naturals" JUICE. ALL. You can be big.. though FAT. You CANNOT be both big + ripped at the same time without drugs.
4) AGAIN, lifting "heavy" is not required. You're a bodybuilding noob who still thinks he can constantly keep adding resistance to his workouts and build muscle each year w/o drugs. It WON'T/DOESN'T happen. A lean fully grown adult reaches his natural muscle building peak after only about 1.5 years.

I'm not an angry guy. Just can't stand stupidity and ignorance. All I said/say is the truth. If you take that as "anger", then get your head checked. I didn't bother going through your other posts.. because you're not worthy.
  #17   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
MelbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
its helps muscle growth

pushed blood round the body to help repair it quicker

burns fat to look good

helps exercise your heart

helps push for more reps when weight training due to cardio being better

hmmmm cant think of any more at moment

You of all people should know that cardio is a joke and that bodybuilding = drugs.
Cardio helps muscle growth.. burns fat.. helps with reps...? By how much, .5%? Like seriously, if you can bench say 400lbs x 10.. you're telling me that if you do cardio, you'd then soon be able to bench 400 x 11+? Or if your arms were 20 inches, added cardio to your workouts for a month.. then your arms would be 21 inches?
People.. please stop with this cardio nonsense. I've proved how useless it is more than once.
  #18   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You of all people should know that cardio is a joke and that bodybuilding = drugs.
Cardio helps muscle growth.. burns fat.. helps with reps...? By how much, .5%? Like seriously, if you can bench say 400lbs x 10.. you're telling me that if you do cardio, you'd then soon be able to bench 400 x 11+? Or if your arms were 20 inches, added cardio to your workouts for a month.. then your arms would be 21 inches?
People.. please stop with this cardio nonsense. I've proved how useless it is more than once.

have u ever done a bodybuilding show and got in competition condition cardio is a must.

how old are u ? just interested
  #19   Add to Shahrazad2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Shahrazad2 is on a distinguished road
One can also swim at a gym when owning a pool isn't an option, and you can take classes in other aerobic exercises as well.
  #20   Report Post  
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:38 PM
MelbGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
have u ever done a bodybuilding show and got in competition condition cardio is a must.

how old are u ? just interested

No, I've never competed and never will.. even if I was Mr.O worthy.
Bodybuilders only do cardio when they're at about 6% bf wanting to go under 5% for a show. Pro bodybuilders "cardio" 99% of the time is TREN.

Now look at all those people (sheep) you see on treadmills. How many of them are under 6% bf? What's the ratio/% of out of shape people to pro bodybuilders under 6% bf? I'd say about 99.9% of them are fat/average built people.

MOST of us here areN'T pro bodybuilders. I'd even say most here are out of shape by the sounds/looks of things.
So again.. CARDIO DOES NOT MATTER. IT'S NOT REQUIRED.

I believe my age is listed on my profile.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options