The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
When You Notice ...

The "When Others Notice" thread is really staying alive and its good to read all the positive experiences people have when others notice the results of their workouts. How about when you yourself noticed the results of your workouts?

I remember when I first started lifting regularly and once after several weeks I was shaving and noticed something new. Triceps! Omigod, right there in the mirror, I saw that I now had triceps! I flexed them and flexed them. It was great to finally have muscles.

I never want to go back to being that skinny unmuscled guy again. This workout stuff is so fun. And the results are worth it all.

Tell us about a time when you noticed that your body had changed for the better. Were you as thrilled as I was?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Talking My first time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim USA View Post
How about when you yourself noticed the results of your workouts?

Tell us about a time when you noticed that your body had changed for the better. Were you as thrilled as I was?
Great thread, Jim USA!

My first times that I noticed that I was developing some muscle were a rush:1. I was in the shower, turning around to rinse off under the spray, when I hit my arm on the side of the stall and felt something weird. There was something sticking out of my arm! I looked down and saw that I had "horseshoes" on the backs of my arms! TRICEPS! Yeah!

2. I was on a playground with my then-very young children. They were playing in a combination fort/slide structure when they got scared and called for "Daddy". I jumped up and went to squirm in between the bars to get to them. Uh. Stuck! I got my arm and shoulder through, but got stuck on my pecs! I sucked in and tried again--nope. I tried blowing out air, to decompress my chest. Nope. I kept getting stuck right on the thickest part of my chest, which I had always thought of as taking up "negative space."

Not any more!
I felt GREAT!
Mdlftr
  #3   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
I really like this topic, Jim.

Needless to say, I was thrilled. Every time there was some new milestone, I would just bounce of the ceiling I was so happy. It's like you just can't help but touch whatever in disbelief - at first. The first time I ever saw a brachial artery, I almost worshipfully touched it over and over again, in disbelief. Then, it was like WOW. That's me.

The most memorable to me, though, was the first time I saw my abs, after being fat for so long. I was just getting my morning shower before heading off to work. There was a full-length mirror in my bathroom at the time, and as I was drying off, I noticed a faint new outline on the skin that I'd never noticed before.

At first, I thought it was just a shadow, so I moved, but it was still there. I thought . . "Could it be?" I sucked in my stomach, and the outline stood out more. It was the right shape and size of a faint 4-pack, staring back at me. If you are a Simpsons fan, you may remember an episode where Homer grows long hair, and runs screaming through the house, "I have HAIR!!!" My reaction was really close to that. I went to every mirror in the house, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
  #4   Add to BergMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM

BergMuscle is on a distinguished road
Everytime I pull on a shirt that is bit tighter than it was the last time I feel so good. Just have to flex a bit in the mirror just to enjoy the moment!
  #5   Add to bigun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM

bigun is on a distinguished road
Mine happened this week. I've been working out before, but just changed to doing compound / power-lifting exercises. Just this last week, I put on a shirt that had fit not long ago, and had trouble getting it buttoned across my chest. I couldn't believe it. I immediately ran to the bathroom, peeled away the shirt and stared at my chest and back. I had shoulder muscles that showed without flexing them! My legs were noticeably bigger. I can't wait to see what happens next. I never want to be soft again!
  #6   Add to plaindudefornow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM

plaindudefornow is on a distinguished road
well...ive had a lot of firsts. not nearly as big as any of you guys yet and thats probably why i keep having them. i sorta forget that im gaining and have some muscle now.

just today i was at champs and as the clerk went to the back to check if they had the item i requested in stock. absent mindedly i looked around the store and caught a mirror on a pillar. i noticed my arms and couldnt help to subtly flex a bit...not a lot though...didnt want to seem weird if anyone were to have seen me.
  #7   Add to Jace's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Jace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jace
I have yet to experience what its like to see my muscles (except my calves...I've got great calves), but I have hope that I will soon. I thank all of you for sharing your experiences.
  #8   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
I've really noticed some growth lately, and find it particularly hot.

Yesterday was arms day for me. My arms have always lagged, but now I love to watch them get a pump as I work them. I've begun to notice my triceps really bulging and forming that horseshoe. I even did the full stack on tricep pushdowns for the first time yesterday (1 set at the end for 7 reps). I've not wanted to try this, but now I know it should probably be my new workout out. What happens when it become too light? I've even taken to flexing in the mirror doing my workout to check my progress. The other great thing is watching in the mirror as my arms explode when I do sets.

I'm now working out with 295 on the bench press for 5 (drop) set. I tried 305 the other day, but thought that was still too heavy. My dream/goal is 3 plates, and I'm really close.

I think people noticed my V taper on the video I posted. I work chest and back on the same day, and I get a real nice pump. Love how my tank tops fill up as I get that big pump on those days.

The biggest change from the video I posted is that the winter-spare-tire is shrinking nicely. Started doing my 15 mile bike ride on nice days, so that helps.

The last great thing that notice is how sore I am the day after a great workout. This is particularly true for legs, or when I bounce and flex my pecs.

God I love this feeling.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #9   Add to musclemike05's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM

musclemike05 is on a distinguished road
Noticed a few weeks ago when I saw some old photos from about two years ago. Neck, torso and arms a lot thicker and more defined. Hell YEAH!! And I thought i was built then
  #10   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I dunno, I think I must look at myself in the mirror a LOT!

So, yes, I notice, and I notice all the time, including when things are (were) going south!

The past year (since hiring Bally Boy Josh) has been nice, since things are mostly improving. Everything is a bit thicker (except for my waist) and more defined. When I flex my biceps, there's a visible vein on top of each, first time ever, there's a crease between my right and left pecs, and tiny one between the upper and lower. How cool is that?

xoxo

Richard
  #11   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I'm now working out with 295 on the bench press for 5 (drop) set. I tried 305 the other day, but thought that was still too heavy. My dream/goal is 3 plates, and I'm really close.
Keep us posted, Scott. We'll pop a cork in your honor when you do!

xoxo

Richard
  #12   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
Keep us posted, Scott. We'll pop a cork in your honor when you do!

xoxo

Richard
Actually, what he met was:

"We'll pop a cork in your honor...among other things."

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #13   Add to Speaker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Speaker is on a distinguished road
Musclemike! I havnt seen you on the forums in a long time! Ive been missing your morphs =(

Back to the topic on hand though, i remember right before going into the shower after a workout (back when i rowed in high school) and noticing that my stomach was getting pretty fat. I flexed and lo and behold! ABS! Realizing that i'd formed a 6-pack was a great feeling.
  #14   Add to scott2462's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Back in the gym

scott2462 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to scott2462
Absolutely...and the past month has been gratifying, coming off of double carpal tunnel surgery, which had me off lifting for nearly 7 weeks. I've taken this opportunity for a 'partial restart" to pay more serious attention to my shoulders (which I had tended to give short shrift too for a long time). Even in just a month of hitting the shoulders and traps harder I have noticed some changes...and even subtle differences in how my shirts fit. A nice feeling indeed.
  #15   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
Triceps were the first thing I noticed. I mean, I never had them before, so even if their comparitively small, I noticed them. It was when I turned sideways in the shower and instead of my whole arm brushing the wall, it was just my tricep poking out. When I flex them, I can actually see them on the side of the arm.

I also have a much flatter stomach then I used to.

I'm also noticing a more defined calf. I always had calves from ice hockey... but not quite as good.

Also, when I turn sideways, my "chest" sticks out as far as my stomach... where as before I looked malnourished, but still had a pott belly. I'm developing the outside of my chest first, it seems... but I hope it moves in. I've always wanted "cleavage".

Anyway... yeah... I'm noticing all the time...

I'm a whore for my own change...
  #16   Add to pumpin20inguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM

pumpin20inguns is on a distinguished road
clevage- that's funny. But we all want that.
  #17   Add to BergMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Had another shirt feel tight today - and I didn't lift, just did a bunch of cardio and heavy bag work. Muscles still got pumped! Got to love it!

One thing I've just thought about is, considering most of my friends, the people I hang out with, and the people I work with: most places I go I'm the most muscular man in the room. Knowing that makes me hold my shoulders higher and puff out my big pecs a little further.
  #18   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
I didn't start lifting until I was about 33 and I was 260# overweight and very much out of shape. I didn't notice the changes at first, it was my family and friends that started making comments. My sister would even have me flex for her (kind of weird but I liked the attention). Now I'm 6'2" 235#, still kind of beefy, but working on that. I don't realize just how big I am until I see myself in a picture with someone else or stand next to someone else and really look. It feels good. I just wish I had started much earlier in life.
  #19   Add to falseyedee's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM

falseyedee is on a distinguished road
this is a good thread.

i remember the first time i caught a glimps of this hot guy reflected in a store window and then realized it was my own reflection!

i remember the first time i realized i couldn't pull something out of my shirt pocket with the arm on the same side as the pocket because my biceps were too big. [ahh, those were the days!]

recently, the day i realized that i could comfortably use the next notch in on my belt was pretty darn good, too.

my new website: www.falseyedee.com

my new ebook, a short story, is available at amazon.com. all my books are at at amazon.com as both paperbacks and kindle ebooks:
http://astore.amazon.com/muscleficti...ail/1452858519

for nook users, all 3 of my short story collections are available as nook ebooks!

my first 3 books are available as PDF files at gumroad.com.

www.musclefiction.com
www.falseyedee.com
  #20   Add to arcm_3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
andy lover

arcm_3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to arcm_3
yeah, i've put on a good amount of muscle in the past year, and sometimes i can't believe what i see in the mirror. which is awesome! and i can't wait for more surprises ahead!
  #21   Add to BergMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseyedee View Post
this is a good thread.

i remember the first time i caught a glimps of this hot guy reflected in a store window and then realized it was my own reflection!
I just came up from my basement gym after working my legs and delts. I got a glimpse of myself in the bedroom mirror in my sleeveless UnderArmour top and was impress with what I saw. Then I took off the shirt and was even happier. My lean mass seems to have improved. Totally cool!
  #22   Add to Salin_TX's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Salin_TX is on a distinguished road
You know the saying to work up you need to work down. I'm proof of it. At the begining of the year I was looking at having to repurchase my wardrobe in ever expanding waistlines. I decided against it and purchased a street bike to ride to/from work on. Needless to say the first change I noticed was when I had to purchase a belt to keep my pants from falling down. The subsequent noticing of this by my co-workers motivated me even more. Soon I will hit the bottom of the curve and start the building back up.
  #23   Add to mmfan2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM

mmfan2 is on a distinguished road
Great topic!

I was at the gym and had done a great workout, I ducked to the sinks to "wash my face" but actually to check out of engorged muscles and I was amazed. I looked like ... it's hard to describe ... I'm traditionally a unfit overweight, weak guy ... but just then I looked like a guy that worked out at the gym ... with bulging biceps, a bit of curve on the shoulders and a broad chest. I threw a woody! Turned on by my own body ... a great feeling...
  #24   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
strongman2006

strongman2006 is on a distinguished road
Seeing Progress & Feeling Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfan2 View Post
Great topic!

I was at the gym and had done a great workout, I ducked to the sinks to "wash my face" but actually to check out of engorged muscles and I was amazed. I looked like ... it's hard to describe ... I'm traditionally a unfit overweight, weak guy ... but just then I looked like a guy that worked out at the gym ... with bulging biceps, a bit of curve on the shoulders and a broad chest. I threw a woody! Turned on by my own body ... a great feeling...

This happens to me quite often. I'm almost always flexing in front of the mirror in the change room late evening to see my progress when no one's around and, in no time, I'm posing with a hard-on. This keeps me motivated to work harder in the gym, especially my huge chest and shoulders.

5'6", 310 lbs., 54" ch, 21.5" a, 20" neck, 30" quads, 19.5" calves

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"
-- Prologue to "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game
  #25   Add to BergMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM

I've been noticing my t-shirts fitting tighter - in all the right places.
  #26   Add to GunMetalGrey88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM

GunMetalGrey88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GunMetalGrey88 Send a message via Yahoo to GunMetalGrey88
Thumbs up

yeah me inoticed my cloths fitting better if not lose i went from size 52 to 47 and to a xxl shirt and its nice and tight witch i never like before but people notice they say keep it up ect and it helps
  #27   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
So I've never really been able to see my back and today after my leg/shoulder workout I took a picture of my back and I was pretty surprised. My traps were really pumped and looked pretty good if I do say so myself.
  #28   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
I've been noticing more because I'm letting myself. I notice it walking around the gym, seeing myself in the mirrors (no posing). I notice it when I wear a shirt that's particularly flattering. I was wearing a pink polo shirt today, sitting in my doctor's examining room, waiting for him. The lighting, shirt color and position was just right that I saw myself in a large mirror and thought "damn! you are pretty big and good looking!" (no self-boner ).

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #29   Add to muscledude78's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM

muscledude78 is on a distinguished road
Nice visual! I think all of us here would like to see a picture of that Minotaur.
  #30   Add to bayjock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM

bayjock is on a distinguished road
I had a personal 'wow' moment yesterday at the gym. It was a back and biceps day and I was really pushing hard on the curls. At the end of session, I cleaned up and put on an old t-shirt I had not worn since the beginning of the year. I remembered the t-shirt being slightly loose on the arms and chest area. This time round, the shirt was SKIN-TIGHT! I look at the mirror in the bathroom and got my biggest surprise. The sleeves were stretched around my arms and the veins were showing through the fabric. I thought "DAMN!"
  #31   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Good Question....

I can remember the first time I noticed my size change, and it was definitely a "WOW" moment.

I was walking through the mall doing some shopping and I happened to look into a clothing store out of the corner of my eye, and I see this big muscle guy with great arms filling out a white polo shirt and jeans. As I walk a few steps ahead I figured that another glance at this guy wouldn't hurt, and it would be good motivation if nothing else.

So, I turn around and walk back to the store window, glance in, and lo and behold, I had walked past a mirror and was actually glancing at myself! It had turned out to be one of those "see yourself as you truly are" moments when your mind is not processing how you appear to yourself......but as you really are. It really threw and stunned me for a brief moment. I went to the gym that night and had one of the best workouts that I ever had. b That was quite a few years and pounds ago. I am much much bigger now, about 60 pounds more, and I'd love to have another one of those experiences today as I never really feel big enough (and hopefully never will! LOL!)

Ron III---III
  #32   Add to mmfan2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM

mmfan2 is on a distinguished road
I was going through the photos on my boyfriend's camera the other day and he had surreptiously taken a long distance photo of this muscled guy walking down the beach (in a t-shirt). I confronted him and then had to apologise profusely as it was a photo of me!!! I had was wearing sunglasses in the photo and didn't recognise myself!!! LOL

Last edited by mmfan2; May 25th, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
  #33   Add to latvia1230's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:08 AM

latvia1230 is on a distinguished road
personal wow!

Recently I caught sight of a man in the gym in the mirror.
He was standing from behind, and I never saw him. Thought "Wow! Broad back and good arms".
Started looking for him, until I realized it was my own reflection, turned around by 2 cornered mirrors...
Thought that did good for self confidence!
  #34   Add to matt35503's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM

matt35503 is on a distinguished road
I have always been kind of on the skinny side. So I started working out last summer and just the other day I was at the mall shopping with a friend and as I was trying on clothes she was like "I think its time to move to a medium, your shoulders just look ridiculous in a small." I hadn't really thought about it until that moment, as I had always worn small shirts and took another look in the mirror. That was definitely a nice moment.
  #35   Add to zilcher's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM

zilcher is on a distinguished road
[COLOR=yellowgreen]fantastic topic.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-shirts. i keep old shirts from concerts that i attended. that way i know how old they are. watching the shirts just get smaller and smaller is fantastic. i had this one that was a little tight even when i bought it that i put on the other day. was nice to rip the arms out of it while flexing my biceps. so i ripped out the torso too. it's on my wall now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-blood pressure cuffs. going to the doctor and having the nurse have to get the big cuff for blood pressure. what a rush. i should have one of those at home.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-i have polo shirts (shirts again!) from a trip to hawaii. put one on the other day and could see something out of the corner of my eye when i turned my head slightly. it was my massive shoulder filling out the shirt. this is one of those moments where you have to touch it to believe the size. and when i did, the firmness of the muscle just excited me more.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-i used to be able to look down directly at my feet. well, the pec shelf sticks out so far that i can't anymore. this i love beyond belief. the skinny boy is gone forever because the bodybuilder has taken up residence in me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-the mirror. occasionally i catch a look of myself and see some new bulging. like forearms.....the outer high ridge of the forearm is so dam sexy. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9acd32]-trying on clothes is a new experience. when i try on shirts i bring plenty to the changing room. anything properly sized looks great on me now. i fill out the shirt with all the big muscle. i'm tempted to rip a shirt in the changing room someday, just by "accident".[/COLOR]
  #36   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Zilcher, I think you're honor bound to tell us your stats:

Height, weight, measurements?

xoxo

Richard
  #37   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay View Post
Zilcher, I think you're honor bound to tell us your stats:

Height, weight, measurements?

xoxo

Richard
Richie Rich, you forgot your copywrited slogan as well.

"Pics?"

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #38   Add to CreatineBoy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:54 AM

CreatineBoy is on a distinguished road
By all means Zilcher...please share with us your "before" and "After" pictures.
  #39   Add to growingboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM

growingboy is on a distinguished road
I had a pretty cool moment today on leaving the gym. I had a heavy bicep day, on the way out one of the guys who work at the gym said good bye... but he wasn't looking me in the eye when he spoke to me, he was looking at my arms. What makes it even beter is that my XL polo shirt was stretched to bursting point.
  #40   Add to TopHeavy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM

TopHeavy is on a distinguished road
I was invited to a wedding a few months ago, and the lady in the suit hire shop couldn't find a jacket that would fit around my arms. She complained that I was out of proportion. I think she meant it as a criticism, but what a compliment!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options