The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Additions to my diet?

I'm a small-framed guy who has been in the gym for about half a year now. I'm doing fine, so far. I have a question on my eating, though. At the beginning of this year I started eating more (also because I was getting hungrier). I now eat 10 slices of bread, a banana, a muesli bar, 4 whole grain biscuits, then a plate of dinner and then usually a bowl of yoghurt and maybe another small sandwich before I go to bed).

I'm not really gaining much weight (gained about 5~6 pounds so far, but it's been evening out, and I recently actually lost one...), though I am gaining muscle. It makes me think I'm using the little fat I have, and that I'm going to have a little problem once I run out (that is; soon). I'm not sure if I can actually eat much more, though. Should I consider some kind of weight-gainer, or do you have any other advice?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Poor Horatio's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM

Poor Horatio is on a distinguished road
I'm no nutrtionist but...

I think you need more lean protein in your diet. This Wikipedia article wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding has a good general explanation of bodybuilding nutrition and references.
Good Luck!
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Too much high glycemic index food, not enough protein. Meat, eggs, fish and fresh green vegetables. Sandwiches although they are convenient, are rarely an ideal food for putting on muscle mass.
  #4   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
Still going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Dude you're not gaining any muscle because you're not eating anything with protein!
Actually I am gaining muscle (don't know how you extracted that information from my post), I just expressed worry that, indeed because I don't gain any fat at all this way, I may run out of steam some time soon.

I'm not going do follow your advice in any case, Drew, because you're sending me to McDonald's. I've successfully avoided fast food restaurants for 4 years (with one single exception, because all other food establishments were closed that day). I'd like to keep my taste buds in tact, thanks

The 'plate of dinner' in the evening always consists of meat and vegetables (with either pasta, rice or potatoes). My sandwiches usually have meat on them, too (anything from bacon to turkey).

I also drink quite a bit of milk. But I don't think it's enough protein, still. I'm not sure I can actually stomach more, though, so... should I replace some of those sandwiches with something else (note that I'm not really in one place all day and that I need things I can carry around that stay fresh). Would some kind of food supplement be a valuable addition? If so, what?

Thanks for your replies so far
  #5   Add to Poor Horatio's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry, I may have started the protein tear. I know your looking for serious builders to offer advice; I'm not one. Still, I read. Your right to want carbs for energy; specifically low glycemic carbs. Here are the general reccomendations for bodybuilders included in the Wiki article:
"Carbohydrates play an important role for bodybuilders. Carbohydrates give the body energy to deal with the rigors of training and recovery. Bodybuilders seek out low-glycemic polysaccharides and other slowly-digesting carbohydrates, which release energy in a more stable fashion than high-glycemic sugars and starches. This is important as high-glycemic carbohydrates cause a sharp insulin response, which places the body in a state where it is likely to store additional food energy as fat rather than muscle, and which can waste energy that should be directed towards muscle growth. However, bodybuilders frequently do ingest some quickly-digesting sugars (often in form of pure dextrose or maltodextrin) after a workout. This may help to replenish glycogen stores within the muscle, and to stimulate muscle protein synthesis." - Wikipedia
Here's the Wiki on glycemic index:
"Glycemic index of foods -
GI values can be interpreted intuitively as percentages on an absolute scale and are commonly interpreted as follows:
Low GI 55 or less most fruit and vegetables (except potatoes, watermelon), grainy breads, pasta, legumes/pulses, basmati rice, milk,
Medium GI 56 - 69 table sugar, croissant, brown rice, orange sweet potato, Mars Bar,
High GI 70 or more corn flakes, baked potato, some white rices (eg. jasmine), white and wholemeal breads." - Wikipedia
I hope this at least helps keep the conversation going until you get more specific advice. Good luck!
  #6   Add to Poor Horatio's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry, I may have started the protein tear. I know your looking for serious builders to offer advice; I'm not one. Still, I read. Your right to want carbs for energy; specifically low glycemic carbs. Here are the general reccomendations for bodybuilders included in the Wiki article:
"Carbohydrates play an important role for bodybuilders. Carbohydrates give the body energy to deal with the rigors of training and recovery. Bodybuilders seek out low-glycemic polysaccharides and other slowly-digesting carbohydrates, which release energy in a more stable fashion than high-glycemic sugars and starches. This is important as high-glycemic carbohydrates cause a sharp insulin response, which places the body in a state where it is likely to store additional food energy as fat rather than muscle, and which can waste energy that should be directed towards muscle growth. However, bodybuilders frequently do ingest some quickly-digesting sugars (often in form of pure dextrose or maltodextrin) after a workout. This may help to replenish glycogen stores within the muscle, and to stimulate muscle protein synthesis." - Wikipedia
Here's the Wiki on glycemic index:
"Glycemic index of foods -
GI values can be interpreted intuitively as percentages on an absolute scale and are commonly interpreted as follows:
Low GI 55 or less most fruit and vegetables (except potatoes, watermelon), grainy breads, pasta, legumes/pulses, basmati rice, milk,
Medium GI 56 - 69 table sugar, croissant, brown rice, orange sweet potato, Mars Bar,
High GI 70 or more corn flakes, baked potato, some white rices (eg. jasmine), white and wholemeal breads." - Wikipedia
I hope this at least helps keep the conversation going until you get more specific advice. Good luck!
  #7   Add to Poor Horatio's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM

Freaking double posted again! Sorry.
  #8   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Still going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Don't knock all fastfood based off of misinformation man. Sure that guy from 30-days liked to have killed himself. But it's not where you get your food from, but what you eat.
I didn't say I did it for health reasons -- it's for the sake of my taste buds. I think what fast food restaurants produce is an insult to food, and I think most of it is really tasteless or even disgusting.

Anyway, you've got me worried about my protein consumption now! (And that's probably a good thing, 'cos now I'll want to do something about it).

I think part of my being skinny is that I don't have a driver's license and cycle around a lot for that reason. My brother used to be a bit chubbier but he lost his weight in no time at all -- I think I have a fairly flexible body; I'm just also quite small-framed (despite drinking milk all the damn time! )

In any case, I'll try to up my protein intake somehow -- the elaborate meals during the day are usually no option, because I just don't have the time to cook twice a day, or even take two plates of lasagne (or whatever) with me in a bag and carry it around all day

Thanks a lot for your input, you two!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options